Two young children narrowly avoid being kidnapped on a Thailand holiday

Lite Beer

Isn't that a fact. I have stopped encouraging family to visit me here for a few years now. Just not safe.

No I am not. I am dead serious. And if physical harm isn't the issue then robbery, being scammed by both sides of the law is well on the rise here. However it isn't just happening to foriegn nationals. Thais are well effected too. Read a Thai newspaper everyday and you will see the point I am trying to make.

Try reading a New York city newspaper ... or Los Angles, London, Frankfurt, Madrid, Rome, Sydney, etc., etc. and with your logic no tourists should ever visit any of them.

• Like 1

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Police were disinterested because there was no money in it for them.

The father is 71 and looks old while the children are very young, perhaps that is what triggered the incident.

The alleged kidnapper seems to be a do-gooder and tried to intervene to 'rescue' the children, thinking there was no way the couple were the real parents given their age. With Thailand's notorious reputation as a trafficking hub and destination for pedophiles it appears this woman was trying to act like a heroine, with disastrous consequences.

Doubt it was a serious attempt to kidnap, just an unstable, opinionated woman intervening in a situation she had created of her own making.

I suggest you read again, a little more carefully. The children are Milly and Allanah; the parents of the children are James and Naomi, the elderly gentleman pictured with the children is Naomi's father; i.e., the children's grandfather...!

• Like 1

Don't get this, why for starters do they think the (woman) was trying to abduct ??? and being on a ferry did she flee the scene ???? we have to assume the woman was a Foreigner ??? and she was not apprehended on board???? the lady was seated 10 or so meters away ???? but must have been beamed up after being unsuccessful in her attempt ----if the WOMAN was blond and sunglasses on--could it have been a man in drag ????? all sounds a bit vague half a story ???

Read the whole article

The father is 71 and looks old while the children are very young, perhaps that is what triggered the incident.

The alleged kidnapper seems to be a do-gooder and tried to intervene to 'rescue' the children, thinking there was no way the couple were the real parents given their age. With Thailand's notorious reputation as a trafficking hub and destination for pedophiles it appears this woman was trying to act like a heroine, with disastrous consequences.

Doubt it was a serious attempt to kidnap, just an unstable, opinionated woman intervening in a situation she had created of her own making.

Yes, that is the logical conclusion, which evidently did not occur to the couple or to the newspaper. The report should also have stated at the beginning that the woman was Western, instead of just allowing us to gather that as we went through the story. Poor journalism.

I thought the journalism was good.

Comprehensibly explained and full of details.

• Like 1

Don't get this, why for starters do they think the (woman) was trying to abduct ??? and being on a ferry did she flee the scene ???? we have to assume the woman was a Foreigner ??? and she was not apprehended on board???? the lady was seated 10 or so meters away ???? but must have been beamed up after being unsuccessful in her attempt ----if the WOMAN was blond and sunglasses on--could it have been a man in drag ????? all sounds a bit vague half a story ???

Go back and read again.

Mr Strange, 36, said they family first noticed the woman who attempted to abduct his girls while they were on the ferry travelling from the mainland to Ko Chang

Said already I missed the link. If they had amended the topic and included the link--IDEA.

Modern times. a TOT on the ferry at the rail, without parental control---then say someone tried to abduct the kids, I say a bit of neglect also.

Sorry I missed a few points from the link. anyway you go back and read my apology for missing the link, go back and read again as you say.thumbsup.gif

You also missed the part where the parents were "seated nearby" and were watching the children talk to the strange lady.

• Like 1

Read the whole article

I think I have answered 4 posters about this---I suggest to any other posters who Have NOT read the WHOLE of the posts--do not jump the gun until you are sure.

The only mistake I made really was I did not read the earlier report, I answered only to the page 1 heading.

So read the whole posts to understand-before thinking this way. ok my friend-thanks anyway.

• Like 1

Do gooder....... I thought she was a nut!

Then you did, which is it?

If you read it says that the attempt to take them was after they alighted the ferry - on the ferry she was just talking to them - it was while they were negotiating a taxi that the problem occurred. I cant help wondering what the children had been saying to the lady on the ferry. Children sometimes play silly games and maybe they said something that worried the woman and made her believe that the couple were not their parents. There are so many odd things about this story not least of which is why choose an island to abduct children?

• Like 1

It is a strange story, and probably unlikely that the BIB got anywhere with investigating it. Thankfully nothing happened, but it is worrying.

Do the BIB get anywhere with anything that does not pay them money or get their picture in the newspaper and on television? The only thing about the BIB and this government that is transparent is their ability hide in their air conditioned offices and talk. Just talk. Safety!!! Only if you're willing to provide it for yourselves.

Go back and read again.

Mr Strange, 36, said they family first noticed the woman who attempted to abduct his girls while they were on the ferry travelling from the mainland to Ko Chang

Said already I missed the link. If they had amended the topic and included the link--IDEA.

Modern times. a TOT on the ferry at the rail, without parental control---then say someone tried to abduct the kids, I say a bit of neglect also.

Sorry I missed a few points from the link. anyway you go back and read my apology for missing the link, go back and read again as you say.thumbsup.gif

You also missed the part where the parents were "seated nearby" and were watching the children talk to the strange lady.

Sorry didn't miss this, I think it said 10 or 15 meters away-in any case NOT GOOD ENOUGH, 3 year old at the rails, if you think nearby is good enough--WELL my friend it would frighten the sh#t out of me. Sorry I love my kids too much and would surely NOT let my 3 year old away from me on a ferry-next to the rail---but some parents do not worry---up to them, I say a no no to letting a 3 year old have free style. Mam didn't teach me this.

Please re read the whole story, you will get the answers to your questions or I'd say comprehension was not your strong point.

As a side note

On the Koh Chang Ferry they take a photo of every passenger whcih they then try to sell you in a frame as you disembark.

That would mean there is a photograph of the woman.

The parents would be aware of that fact as they would have been asked to buy one when they left the boat.

Edited by paulrobertlane
  • Like 1

A Little Scarey for Sure ..

But Nothing Happened , and Really Nothing may have ever Happened . Yes the Woman Aint Playing with a Full Deck , But if the Kids were Even Half Smart , and They have just come though Cambodia ..Really , just a Storm in a TeaCup .

There are Nut Cases Everywhere ..Even with Blonde Hair Going to Ko Chang .

For Crist's sake he was the grandfather passifier.gif.pagespeed.ce.4LsapYv4zC.gipassifier.gif.pagespeed.ce.4LsapYv4zC.gipassifier.gif.pagespeed.ce.4LsapYv4zC.gi

• Like 1

Actually the prevalence of kidnapping kids is far worse in Vietnam. The kidnappers drug the kids heavily, drive them over the Cambodian border and often settle for ransom of just a few thousand dollars. Expats with children left with a maid during the working week are most at risk, albeit far less so than well healed locals .ditto in China.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The Last thing that is needed here is Western Paranioa , Came to get away from All that ..

The Kids are Fine , they were not abducted ..They talked the woman on the Boat ( Nothing Wrong with That ) ..

She happened to Be a Nut Job ..All Over , Back to your Seats , Nothing Happened , Nothing to See Here .

Just Live and Learn , and Move on , All is Okey . Plenty of Worse things happened in the World Today . Lets the Kids , Be Kids .

Thats why Western Kids Now are SO FAT ! , they are overparented , and Stuff gets reported , Like this !

• Like 1

There are cities in Europe in parts of which I feel a lot less safe than in Thailand. This 'everything was so much better before" that is so prevalent on TV gets boring at times.

Unfortunately, there is a vast difference between "feeling safe" and being safe.

Some of the dodgiest feeling places I've ever been were, in fact, probably some of the safest.

Spend some time in the bowels of any big city in the USA and you'll be amazed at how many of the scary characters are actually undercover police. I would suspect it's the same in most European metro areas.

The difference between those places and Thailand is that the police can be counted on to do their utmost to keep us safe. They may be arrogant, they may have a tough guy syndrome, they may even be corrupt. But when the stuff hits the fan, I'll take my chances with New York's finest (Or London's or Paris's, or Munich's) over the poor examples of law enforcement here in LOS.

That's not to say there are not extremely dedicated law enforcement personnel in Thailand. But they seem to be in the minority to tea money brigades.

Had that couple reported the situation to (almost) any police departments in the west, there would have been a massive woman hunt, pulling out all the stops. Strong contrast to the reaction on Ko Chang.

Edited by impulse

The scary thing is that there is an unstable woman out there who may well repeat the incident with other children.

Don't the police even care? Surely an offense has been committed (attempted abduction), so there is ample reason to search for the woman. She's on an island <deleted>, how hard can it be to find her? I know its Thailand, but shouldn't there at least be some bland talk of looking for her? I know the family Strange probably just want to get on with their holiday, so not keen to end a lot of time forcing the police to get off their collective <deleted>, but they have reported the incident.

If the woman is successful next time, the police should be lined up and shot.

The Last thing that is needed here is Western Paranioa , Came to get away from All that ..

The Kids are Fine , they were not abducted ..They talked the woman on the Boat ( Nothing Wrong with That ) .

She happened to Be a Nut Job ..All Over , Back to your Seats , Nothing Happened , Nothing to See Here .

Just Live and Learn , and Move on , All is Okey . Plenty of Worse things happened in the World Today . Lets the Kids , Be Kids .

Thats why Western Kids Now are SO FAT ! , they are overparented , and Stuff gets reported , Like this !

Did you read the bit where she grabbed the kids and put one in a taxi ? Did you read the bit where she was screaming at the parents that the kids were hers? Both appear kind of serious really.

• Like 1

Please re read the whole story, you will get the answers to your questions or I'd say comprehension was not your strong point.

Oh my god not another one that has not read my apologies----#####Please read the whole posts they will explain why I posted as I did.

• Like 1

read the article again!!

the GRANDFATHER is 71!!!! (not the father!!!) Lol !!

She looked like a school teacher?? And what exactly does a school teacher look like then. They all must look the same here...

Lol !!

I think they mean that she looked "professional" or decent.

maybe they had some understanding that there are MANY foreign people working in Thailand as School Teachers.

but, yes,, its a silly description.

General poster info

Would all those poster who are telling me to read the whole topic, do me a favour and read the posts and you will see I only read the small page 1 topic, and referred only to the ferry. GET IT. I will not say sorry any more.

some posters trying to be clever telling me to read the whole story are that busy --instead of reading the posts-the reasons are there.

• Like 1

sounds like World Vision or some other NGO to me.

never let your children near any of these people.

this lady sounds just the type.

she was trying to rescue the children.

always try to get a photo of these suspicious do gooders.

Edited by jobsworth

The Kids are Fine , they were not abducted ..They talked the woman on the Boat ( Nothing Wrong with That ) ..

Presumably, the woman is still a "nutcase". So it is conceivably possible she may try again with some other kids. If she is successful and harms them, or at the least scares the living sh1t out of them and their parents, will you be quite so happy that you simply "moved on" without another thought to the warning her ...first?....attempt provided?

Unless you believe that she has now got her abduction urges out of her system and is no longer a danger?

The big worry is that the Police where not interested. Surely the attempted kidnapping of children is a serious crime anywhere? Whether the perpetrator of the offence is foreign or not. Its every parents worst nightmare.

Edited by Pui
  • Like 1

may sound crazy,(and the whole thing sounds crazy),

but the way it happens sounds more like a demented woman who BELIEVED she was rescuing the kids...

with all the stuff about Madeleine MC Cann resursfacing,plus that little blonde girl Anna being discovered in Greece it could get into an unstable persons head...

• Like 2