attention parents of teens - your intel requested

beth in siam

my awesome 17 year old (step)son arrives from Toronto over the December holidays for 3 weeks. my husband and I moved to BKK in July, so this will be his first visit -

apart from the obvious, i am open to suggestions as to what YOU might think a 17 year old guy would enjoy....we want him to experience Bangkok and all of its amazingness.... (ok...but not "that kind", so let's be reasonable here....)

anyone here have teenage boys? what's their thing here??

my goal is to keep him away from the computer and gaming.

I had my 19 year old son here in Bangkok for a couple of weeks earlier this year. He enjoyed the Khao San Road area, the Paragon (especially the cinema), the Chao Praya river boats, Patpong area at night, Wat Pho and watching the madness at Nana with a couple of early evening beers at Big Dogz. Mainly though it was all about Khao San.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

hi everyone ~

thanks so much for your input so far - it's appreciated!

there are some really good ideas and insights...especially @ToddWeston.

@impulse - there's only so much Neil Young that i can force my (step)son to listen to... giggle.gif

@gazmat - we were thinking of taking him to KaoSan, spending some time with him, and then leaving him to explore
I am going to send him Nancy Chandler's maps of BKK and KaoSan...plus we've already sent him a Lonely Planet.

@ukrules - you are SO right! this is why I am reaching out to all of you --- i figured that some of you may have gone down this road, so why not pick your brains

@soutpeel - ummmm....

(if only there were a sarcasm font, right?)

@ToddWeston - all awesome insights!!! he already knows Pacific Mall and Spadina - i just don't think that he knows what he's getting into with crowds!!! this is going to be so much fun to watch him experience this all!!!

my husband is planning a side trip - just the two of them ---- Cambodia or Vietnam...i think that's a great idea!!!
also, thai boxing, of course....

thanks again everyone --- keep those ideas coming!!

cheers,

I don't guess 17 year old's park the El Camino out on the fire roads and drink Boone's Farm Apple in the back while listening to The Who on 8 tracks any more?

No?

Sorry, I'm useless then.

Boones Farm Strawberry?. Brings back memories. First saw it at the 'San Paquita Club', the EMs Club, Subic Bay Naval Base in the 70's. A very popular beverage for the young Yank Sailors.

you would have to watch 'Kings of Restoration' or 'Pawn Stars' to see an 8 Track today LOL They would be 'antiques'.

When my teeenage American niece and nephews were here last all they seemed to be interested in was, eating, connecting to the internet and checking their facebook pages, watching DVDs and communicating with their mates back in the US. Ipads, Ipods, Smart Phones are the rage.

Although a few days at the beach is always popular too.

• Like 1

@cpofc - exactly!!! we don't want him spending all of his time with the computer/iPod/cell phone and sleeping....otherwise we could have just gone back to Toronto to visit, rather than him come here.....
that being said: i'll take him to MBK/Siam Sq and Pantip to get his fix