Claiming child benefit from absent father

simon43

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If she is not in the UK then no chance, as far as I remember only Service personnel can claim Child Benefit when outside of the UK.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/childbenefit/start/who-qualifies/live-work-abroad.htm

The problem lies in Thailand.

Governmental offices are bound to collect child benefit or alimony.

Having done that, they need a governmental office in Thailand to receive the money and send it to the applicant.

Thailand does not have an office to handle this.

• Like 1

The father can be made to pay child support, if he is the legal father. From what you write it seems he is currently not.

Problem is, there is no treaty between the UK and Thailand to effect child support payments. Still legalisation might be a good thing to do, as it will make the child a legal heir and establishes his Britsh nationality.

I think the best thing you can do for her is to try contact the guy and broker some deal. It may be that 30 000 was too much of a drain on his finances. Maybe if he was up for a more realistic amount, it may be acceptable. There would be a communication problem if she speaks very little English. Could all be down to a misunderstanding. Going the legal route will be very difficult and very expensive.

Good luck.

I am not sure what can be done but if it did go to Thai court I think there is no way she would be awarded B30K per month. Maybe 5K or something like that. Agreed the father should step up and take care of the kid but B30K was a bit over the top by Thai standards.

I think the best thing you can do for her is to try contact the guy and broker some deal. It may be that 30 000 was too much of a drain on his finances. Maybe if he was up for a more realistic amount, it may be acceptable. There would be a communication problem if she speaks very little English. Could all be down to a misunderstanding. Going the legal route will be very difficult and very expensive.

Good luck.

The Child Support Agency cannot assist as mother and child are not in the UK

The only way to obtain support is either voluntary or going to court, which as has been said, is expensive.

Negotiation may be the best way, with a realistic expectation. If all else fails may be possible to embarrass him by notifying his employer!

That they are not in the UK is not the point, the point is that they are in a country with which the UK doesn't have a treaty.

As a result, the courts can do nothing. The Thai court can and will issue an order, but it can not be enforced abroad. (And the payment will be awarded for between 3,000 and 6,000 baht a month plus half of all educaitonal and healthcare costs).

If she is not in the UK then no chance, as far as I remember only Service personnel can claim Child Benefit when outside of the UK.

Having done that, they need a governmental office in Thailand to receive the money and send it to the applicant.

Actually there is a way around that. In the U.S. the State child enforcement agency will collect on behalf of a Thai mother and forward the child support to her in Thailand. In other words, Thai courts are not involved. Whether this is available in the U.K. requires a U.K. attorney/solicitor to explore. I know of one and will provide the information via PM for anyone interested.

Actually there is a way around that. In the U.S. the State child enforcement agency will collect on behalf of a Thai mother and forward the child support to her in Thailand. In other words, Thai courts are not involved. Whether this is available in the U.K. requires a U.K. attorney/solicitor to explore. I know of one and will provide the information via PM for anyone interested.

The British authorities do not do that. Rules say there must be a treaty, which there is not with Thailand.

Strictly speaking, you have to be a UK resident to use the Citizens Advice Bureau, so I don't know if it would be worthwhile to make an email enquiry with them.

Maybe you know a UK resident that could make enquiries on your/her behalf?

Actually, I should have stated some points more clearly. The SIL does not want to claim UK child benefits from the CSA, but simply wants the father to contribute towards the upbringing of his son.

He previously and willingly sent money from his (rather substantial) oil & gas industry income, but that stopped and he doesn't reply to her emails (which she sends in simple English).

I have known her for 10 years, so this is not some stranger who has made up a story. She would much prefer him to voluntarily make a monthly payment, but that seems unlikely since he is not replying to her emails. He is employed outside the UK by a UK company and UK law states that if an award is made against him to pay child support, then he is legally required to pay this, even to have it deducted from his salary. This is the case even though he works outside the UK because his employer is a British company.

The problem is for the mother to bring a legal case against him and since neither her nor their son is in the UK, there seems no solution to this problem.

The mother has sent her emails also to his employer, (because he will not reply to her). So his employer is also aware of the situation. Perhaps she can 'embarrass' him into making some payment?

Anyway, practical advice is appreciated to help her.

Simon

Edited by simon43

Simon - some good posts here but also some slightly inaccurate.

The Child Support Agency will not want to get involved if the child is outside the UK. In fact, as far as they are concerned the child is not entitled to receive this if they are not resident in the UK. I have a letter confirming this from the Child Support Agency.

The only way for your ex's SIL to pursue this is through the courts. The child has a British passport and a named British father. The English family courts, I'm sure would support an action for maintenance, as they always look to make judgement in the best interests of the child. If it goes to court, then all the father's assets will be taken into consideration not just income and allowances as with the CSA. If the father checks this, he may be inclined to offer a deal rather than risk a judge being more generous to the child. Any court order imposed would be recognized by a British company (or EU) if it did get to this.

A court judgement is much more enforceable than the CSA but, of course, litigation in the UK is expensive. However, from how you describe the guy, he may well want to settle out of court.

Good luck.

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1

Simon - some good posts here but also some slightly inaccurate.

The Child Support Agency will not want to get involved if the child is outside the UK. In fact, as far as they are concerned the child is not entitled to receive this if they are not resident in the UK. I have a letter confirming this from the Child Support Agency.

The only way for your ex's SIL to pursue this is through the courts. The child has a British passport and a named British father. The English family courts, I'm sure would support an action for maintenance, as they always look to make judgement in the best interests of the child. If it goes to court, then all the father's assets will be taken into consideration not just income and allowances as with the CSA. If the father checks this, he may be inclined to offer a deal rather than risk a judge being more generous to the child. Any court order imposed would be recognized by a British company (or EU) if it did get to this.

A court judgement is much more enforceable than the CSA but, of course, litigation in the UK is expensive. However, from how you describe the guy, he may well want to settle out of court.

Good luck.

Agree

The op and the Mother should jointly contact the father advising that it is proposed that legal action will be taken commencing within a specified period...?14 days, unless he, (the father), agrees to make regular payments for upkeep for his child and the mother.

It would be worth indicating that they understand that a Court would take into consideration not only his current income but all his assets when making an award.

Everyone is talking legal leaze here and It is clear she has not got a leg to stand on So the next step is to embarrass him into paying Contact his employer his brothers his sisters anyone who knows him

Sent then photos and a copy of the birth certificate as well telling them the situation

If he has any moral fiber at all he will react to the situation

After all he did not play far so why should you

This is the best and only bet you have left

Good luck

hi simon43,

there probably are not too many that disagree with what you say.

however, if he was not married to her, do you know he has actually not 1% validity as the father. its a puzzle, why not, but the worth seems to be , in naming someone on the birth certificate, to suit thai people only.

your endeavor to put this right, is gallant, . but wait and think just for a moment please.

reason, -- if he was sending 30k as proposed, and then nothing, then surely something went wrong. outside of a plea for money.

my insults are based on , i am british , man. i have been here for 7 years, -- i have two daughters, they were deserted cuckoo style, and although there is still a slight contact, not a mention of any support has ever been mentioned. this is of course different to your post.

but really , the only thing these thai girls have children for here, in what seems to be most cases, is financial back up. from us, or indeed for later in life when our children grow up. to carry on the trade. !!

its very obvious, to some, people in glass houses should not throw stones.

5-6k a month is a good amount to give as a gesture. for child help.

this man who ever he is, just needs to be propositioned, with the right information, and ime sure he will turn this around, but 30k, its not right and probably not fair.

in one ear and out the other, maybe, but they look after themselves, what are you actually saying here. is it right. ! or does it need tweeking a bit. to get this understood by most.

• Like 1

Before you run off with all these suggestions to contact everyone, it may be better to try get in contact with him. Who knows, the guy may not be alive. I think you should try to make contact with him.

Anything could have happened to him.

Good luck.

Yes a e mail showing willingness to take less may bring about a better response. If not there is always the courts. Sue him for back child support at the rate of 30,000 baht a month. That might get his attention. Be sure that he is the registered father and have the papers to prove it.

Good Luck

Sounds like she is going to need it.

The States take child support very serious. I have a brother in law who works for the welfare system. That is all he does is track down dead beat parents and force them to pay support money.

To answer some posters' questions:

The man is very much alive and working for a British O & G company - his employers have confirmed this and have forwarded some emails from the SIL to him. But he chooses not to reply.

If he were in the UK, then the CSA child maintenance 'calculator' indicates a monthly child maintenance payment of about $1,000. The SIL is not seeking that amount, but is seeking a reasonable sum - say 15,000 baht per month.

Simon

6.000 a month is quite enough,lets not get greedy because hes a foriegner eh...15.000 a month is a months wages to a thai guy.you think a thai would pay that...no and nor should the english guy..seems a bit of gold digging,but i could be wrong..

• Like 2