Thai Mentality

NoshowJones

I am not looking for excuses to start Thai bashing as I believe the good far outweighs the bad in this country, but I have to get this off my chest. I am just back after a few days in Pattaya and Bangkok. The weather was really dreadful, I was at the bus stop at the Ploenchit Centre at Sukhumvit Road, there is a shelter with seats there, the rain was lashing down, so I sat in the shelter, there is a big board with advertising on it which prevents you from seeing which buses are coming, in order to see the buses coming, you have to stand at the kerb, which defeats the purpose of the bus stop shelter and seats. Why could the advertising board not have been put at the other end of the shelter? It seems the poor Thai mentality is at work again. Anyone got any thoughts?

• Like 2

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that shelter well but it would not make much difference without the sign in the way as you would only have a Thai standing there with the same result. In any case you should not really be at the bus stop but be standing up the road trying to get the bus to stop early so you can shove on before it gets to the stop, that's if the bus you want ever turns up, is in a lane you can board it without walking through the traffic, or stops at all! Overcrowded buses is something I really cannot deal with but they pack them in like sardines on some routes which don't have enough buses running, 140 is the worst route I have used.

Edited by sms747
  • Like 1

umbrella?

No, No, No....

Go to 7-11.

Get plastic bag.

Put it on your head!

Now, that's Thai mentality!

In Thailand, umbrellas are for sun protection, not for rain!!

OK solly.....

But that might has reason, I guess umbrella doesn't help if the rain comes almost horizontal due to the wind.

On the other hand, What is the point to keep the head dry if the rest is wet.

Edited by h90

umbrella?

No, No, No....

Go to 7-11.

Get plastic bag.

Put it on your head!

OK solly.....

But that might has reason, I guess umbrella doesn't help if the rain comes almost horizontal due to the wind.

About 60% of body heat is lost through the head, not an issue in Thailand but more like for the cold western countries up North.

umbrella?

No, No, No....

Go to 7-11.

Get plastic bag.

Put it on your head!

OK solly.....

About 60% of body heat is lost through the head, not an issue in Thailand but more like for the cold western countries up North.

Surely not. As the head has the same temperature and same blood circulation on the skin, but very little surface, it can't be true, and even less with hair.

It might be true if has minus 30 degree and you have heavy clothes covered everything but the head. But that is something different than in Thailand.

Anyone got any thoughts?

1) Take a taxi.

2) Go have a few ales while the rain abates...

3) Don't get too het up about bus stop design..

Says more about your mentality I'm afraid.

1 I don't trust Thai taxi drivers.

2 Unlike you I do not drink.

3 I don't mind the bus stop design, it is where it is placed.

What does it say about my mentality? What is wrong with not liking getting soaked?

• Like 1

The Thai mentality is not to much different that other national mentalities around the world, I bet you can find such bus stops most anywhere one could look in other counties in the world.

Cheers:wai2.gif

There you go again.

• Like 1

The Thai mentality is not to much different that other national mentalities around the world, I bet you can find such bus stops most anywhere one could look in other counties in the world.

I have travelled on buses in other countries, but never seen one where you can't see the buses and the bus driver can't see you. There is one in London apparently.

Advertising is more important than seeing the bus.

One day advertising will be in the middle of the road!

We have already market on side walks and people are forced to walk on the street.

I don't even know what the advert is about, I cannot read Thai.

I have travelled on buses in other countries, but never seen one where you can't see the buses and the bus driver can't see you. There is one in London apparently.

personally I dont think I could live in a country where such things go on

umbrella?

No, No, No....

Go to 7-11.

Get plastic bag.

Put it on your head!

OK solly.....

True.