Pithy (not pissy) western sayings

Bluetongue

What pithy Western sayings apply or don’t apply in Thailand, to Thai’s or farangs. Say why, or even better give an example. To start the ball rolling I’ll lead out with a couple. I was going to put this on the blog but thought I’d do better with the collective wit and wisdom of the TV crew.

Many hands make light work. Definitely to Thai’s. I have employed people and I’ve also seen it happen to other farmers, more people turn up than you thought having been invited by other workers. If it’s piece work that’s OK but if not you have to wear the extra cost of get out there quick smart and tell them to go home. Most employer’s don’t. To the employees the added benefit is that Nid, Nob or Nee might have something tasty and different in their lunchbox

Too many cooks spoil the broth. No to Thai’s. There can never be too many cooks. Often food in preparation is passed around for comment, too salty? sweet? spicy? sour?

A fool and his money is soon parted. Yes to farang and Thai alike. Do I really need to give an example. OK look at all the unfinished building projects, people start building something without enough money to finish, or for farangs who have pissed their money away or thrown it around like water, hell I know I’ve been foolish at times, most would probably admit it after a beer or two.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. Yes to Thai’s. 22 years ago being chased around Patong by a howling screaming gaggle of bar girls on scooters, thirsting for my blood over choice of companion change

Here’s a couple more for erudite analysis

A stitch in time saves 9

Go hard or go home

Speak no evil tell no lies

Walk a mile in my shoes

Pay peanuts get monkeys

Its better to run and fight another day (or something like that)

And etc, any takers

• Like 1

you may be surprised to know that the Thais have their own large suite of Proverbs,Sayings and Adages not dissimilar to our western versions

The first one I learnt from my wife many years ago before we were married.

'You can't dance, and you blame the music'

I learnt from Denis Segaller's Book 'Thai Way's' about Thai Proverbs.

Many of which, I am told, emanated from The Ramakien

check this out

http://www.thai-language.com/id/589868

• Like 2

whistling.gif This needs a little explanation first.

Back in the late 50's or early 60's Hertz rent-a-car was the biggest airport car rental business in airport car rentals in the U.S.

Then a competitor called Avis rent-a-car was started.

They became famous for their slogan, "We're number 2, we try harder".

They did well and they became serious competitors to Hertz

At one point, someone one the Avis management board suggested that a cut price competitor, at least partially owned by Avis, should be started.

The purpose of that cut price competitor was to undermine the business of the number one car rental company ... Hertz.

The CEO of Avis rejected that idea.

What he said was this:

"If you expect to be eating soup tomorrow night, don't p-ss into the soup pot tonight".

Meaning something equivalent to ,"If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it".

rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, plan as though you'll live forever."

"Growing old is compulsory, growing up is entirely optional."

Had these mottos since I was about 30 years old and they still apply today.....53 years and counting. thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

What about "don't count your chickens before they hatch" I think that has been missed here (in Thailand)

or "spend a penny save a dime" in my case here it was the opposite. My Bil wanted me to drive 25 kilometres to save 20baht on a purchase, in fact so many times I cant remember

or " neither a borrower nor a lender be" the whole country would implode, not to mention my extended family

If you don't like it you can go home.

The endearing slogan of the Thai apologist. Insinuating that if at any time a non resident person has a disagreement or negative impression of anything in Thailand. The most logical course of action is to leave the country immediately.