Firework tragedies mark end of Buddhist Lent in Thailand

webfact

Anyone out there still doubt Darwinism?

If Darwin's 'Theory Of Evolution' was correct..... Only the strongest, smartest, fastest etc. survive, then it stands to reason that stupid humans would be extinct by now.

Since they are not extinct, and actually seem to be thriving, Darwin's theory appears to have a major flaw.

• Like 1

Someone convince me it is about Thai culture or post some BS statistics from some unknown source.

If there isn't controversy, lets start some? The injuries and deaths from these sorts of sad events are commentary enough for this reader.

I went to visit an English mate in a hospital in Chiang Rai years ago and on the way to his ward there were heaps of pictures on the wall. Took me a while to work out what they were - what is left of a human hand that has been blown to bits by fireworks/homemade bomb. The pictures were sickening, enough to turn anyone off playing with the stupid bloody things. Anyone with half a brain at least. whistling.gif

I must admit that I have no idea what the laws are re the sale and use of fireworks, but the article does suggest that there are some.

If the police really wanted to enforce the law they could. It is really not that difficult to find shops selling fireworks to children as young as 4 years old.

In our village, children are playing with bangers out in the street all day long for 3 weeks every October.

I went to visit an English mate in a hospital in Chiang Rai years ago and on the way to his ward there were heaps of pictures on the wall. Took me a while to work out what they were - what is left of a human hand that has been blown to bits by fireworks/homemade bomb. The pictures were sickening, enough to turn anyone off playing with the stupid bloody things. Anyone with half a brain at least. whistling.gif

My older Sister was a photographer/Radiographer for our local hospital and would show me some of the shots she had to take on and around the 5th November.

I developed a large amount of respect for fireworks at a very early age.

It said "during the end of Buddhist lent. the weekend??? when was the last day it was supposed to be celebrated ??? because you can see from the figures at UdonThani, vast amount of (not accidents) most of them.

Big problem is the same old one here--THEY NEVER KNOW WHEN TO STOP... water festival---this day---new year---drinking--gambling--the Bib are not stopping these elongated events. From now until the next full moon, fireworks will be let off every day/eve, and not just kids-drunken grownups also.

Lack of law enforcement -simple as that. the parent aspect again comes into play---most do not care what the kids are doing.

If Darwin's 'Theory Of Evolution' was correct..... Only the strongest, smartest, fastest etc. survive, then it stands to reason that stupid humans would be extinct by now.

Since they are not extinct, and actually seem to be thriving, Darwin's theory appears to have a major flaw.

Actually, it's the most adaptable who survive.

When i was a kid in the US, it was unpatriotic to not shoot off fireworks From small box hanging twirlers to the smokey cabins and snakes to sparklers as well as the 3 stage skyrockets. It was fun to see the grown ups have fun like kids too.

Long ago I would guess we all let off fireworks as kids (teenagers) NOT kids 3year olds as here in many cases. We learned the hard way and strict laws came into force but we had decent police to enforce. Bonfire night went from a big fire in every ones back garden--to an organized town bonfire, very quick. BECAUSE of casualties. Thailand has the casualties on a big scale, BUT money is more important and bribes paid to turn a blind eye at shops. Organized fireworks, now should be the priority.

In a brief description...Those who are better adapted to their environment will tend to reproduce at a higher rate.

When i was a kid in the US, it was unpatriotic to not shoot off fireworks From small box hanging twirlers to the smokey cabins and snakes to sparklers as well as the 3 stage skyrockets. It was fun to see the grown ups have fun like kids too.

Long ago I would guess we all let off fireworks as kids (teenagers) NOT kids 3year olds as here in many cases. We learned the hard way and strict laws came into force but we had decent police to enforce. Bonfire night went from a big fire in every ones back garden--to an organized town bonfire, very quick. BECAUSE of casualties. Thailand has the casualties on a big scale, BUT money is more important and bribes paid to turn a blind eye at shops. Organized fireworks, now should be the priority.

Blind eye being appropriate for many, unfortunately :(

I'm back in Oz at the moment, but got an hysterical phone call from the wife on Sat night. Our house in Chaiyaphum is up in flames, everything gone...she only has the clothes she was wearing. Thank God she is OK. She thinks it was a 'rocket' (fireworks) set off by a neighbour. *#^#...flying back tomorrow....

Nasty stuff...wish you & the wife all the best.

• Like 1

In a brief description...Those who are better adapted to their environment will tend to reproduce at a higher rate.

If you can't adapt, you will die. Environments are not stable.

Wait for it.

It happens everywhere. This is why I left the nanny state to come to Thailand. If you don't like it leave.

How terribly sad.

Very well said, lets just wait until the comments come about how unsafe it is, as England is not much better!!!!!

Yes, but in England it happens at the end of Ramadan.

• Like 2