Climate Change Poll

T_Dog

Climate Change Poll  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well after reading al of the my house got flooded posts some people came to realise that Thailand has had problems with floods for century's thats why many old houses in rural Thailand are built on stilts .

Apparently buying a parcel of cheap land from noi or toys family in nakhon somewhere and building that million dollar retirement villa has left a sour taste in their mouth and bank account.

So much for climate change.But according to some people its al a certain politicians fault ........

I am not sure why the Thai rural houses are built on stilts, but in Issan I think it had something to do with keeping snakes, and bugs etc out of the dwelling amoung other reasons.

Well after reading al of the my house got flooded posts some people came to realise that Thailand has had problems with floods for century's thats why many old houses in rural Thailand are built on stilts .

Apparently buying a parcel of cheap land from noi or toys family in nakhon somewhere and building that million dollar retirement villa has left a sour taste in their mouth and bank account.

So much for climate change.But according to some people its al a certain politicians fault ........

Huh? You must be drunk, or high, or something. You basically said because some people got flooded out because they didn't build their houses on stilts, means climate change doesn't exist.

Did I get that right? Huh???

No i basically said no such thing about stilts.Its like people building houses next to airports and complaining about the noise,are you thick or something.

These types of discussions are stupid. Everyone here who's a climatologist, please put up your hand. Oh right, that's nobody.

99% of the world's scientific community has come to a consensus that climate change is real, and is being caused by human intervention.

I would argue that being a climatologist is not a requirement to recognizing you are being sold a load of bull $hit. I would also like to add that 99% of the world's scientific community are NOT climatologists either, does that mean that they should shut their pie holes and keep their opinion to themselves also?

• Like 1

I am not sure why the Thai rural houses are built on stilts, but in Issan I think it had something to do with keeping snakes, and bugs etc out of the dwelling amoung other reasons.

And large amounts of water.

I would argue that being a climatologist is not a requirement to recognizing you are being sold a load of bull $hit. I would also like to add that 99% of the world's scientific community are NOT climatologists either, does that mean that they should shut their pie holes and keep their opinion to themselves also?

http://www.ipcc-data.org/

If you don't believe in climate change, there you go. Should take you at least a week to go through all the data there, but without question, the climate is warming. This isn't a topic that's really up for debate anymore.

• Like 2

If you don't believe in climate change, there you go. Should take you at least a week to go through all the data there, but without question, the climate is warming. This isn't a topic that's really up for debate anymore.

What?? dont believe in climate change?? its always changing its never been static and never will until the sun goes out then itll be cold for quite a long time.

As for the cause thats whats really up for debate and i dont buy the crap Im being fed from the ipcc.

• Like 2

And large amounts of water.

And ground termites....and better air circulation...and no need to pour foundations....and a place for chickens and pigs to hang out.

ohm since you said case closed then we should just believe everything we are told and not question it. I was under the misinterpretation that science and other forms of higher learning were about disputing and debating ideas.

sorry, i will now fall in line and no longer question.

• Like 1

Your poll is not complete:

*) Climate change is a hoax

Another option you need to include is:

Human action is having a very minor effect on global temperatures but is not relevant in affecting climate change

Well you seem to forget it takes water to make food, fresh water that is and that is a commodity that is dwindling at an alarming rate.

And desertification is also a concern you forget that , too.

I'm not whining, I'm very, very concerned so trite comments are most unwelcome in such a serious conversation- but expected from those who cannot or will not accept their behavior affects others less fortunate.

One of the quoted effects of CC is an increase in ocean temperatures and an increase in the moisture load in the air. In the same breath the CC people claim CC will result in drought and desertification. I don't see how the two facts can be reconciled. Surely more ocean evapouration of fresh water into the atmosphere equals more clouds equals more fresh water rain being dumped over land.

The simple fact is that the claims of droughts and desertification are simple guesses with no science behind it what so ever.

Well you seem to forget it takes water to make food, fresh water that is and that is a commodity that is dwindling at an alarming rate.

I'm not whining, I'm very, very concerned so trite comments are most unwelcome in such a serious conversation- but expected from those who cannot or will not accept their behavior affects others less fortunate.

One of the quoted effects of CC is an increase in ocean temperatures and an increase in the moisture load in the air. In the same breath the CC people claim CC will result in drought and desertification. I don't see how the two facts can be reconciled. Surely more ocean evapouration of fresh water into the atmosphere equals more clouds equals more fresh water rain being dumped over land.

The simple fact is that the claims of droughts and desertification are simple guesses with no science behind it what so ever.

the fact that you cant understand why that would be the case means that it isnt a fact? lol

The climate is not warming, global temperatures have been rising which may lead to certain effects on the climate. Global temperatures have been rising since the last ice age, over this time there have been temperature anomalies where very rapid changes in temperature have occured both up and down. Greenland for example was green when the vikings found it. They also found Newfoudland and named it vineland because of all the grapes which grew there at the time. The vikings had settlements in greenland but were pushed out by rapidly advancing glaciers caused by a mini ice age, Those same glaciers have been retreating there and all over the world since.

No one is disputing that temperatures have been rising. The big question is; does a very tenuous correlation of observed temperature rise and CO2 levels over a short period of time equal causation.

• Like 1

the fact that you cant understand why that would be the case means that it isnt a fact? lol

I am always willing to learn, could you explain it to me?

That about says it all, those with the least scientific knowlege have the strongest contempt for those that do, this thread sadly illustrates that observation.

That about says it all, those with the least scientific knowlege have the strongest contempt for those that do, this thread sadly illustrates that observation.

Ok guys I'm serious, explain to me how more moisture and clouds equals desertification and drought. Put your superior scientific knowledge to use and explain to us all how this works.

Or just continue to take pot shots from the side lines

• Like 1

The climate is not warming, global temperatures have been rising which may lead to certain effects on the climate. Global temperatures have been rising since the last ice age, over this time there have been temperature anomalies where very rapid changes in temperature have occured both up and down. Greenland for example was green when the vikings found it. They also found Newfoudland and named it vineland because of all the grapes which grew there at the time. The vikings had settlements in greenland but were pushed out by rapidly advancing glaciers caused by a mini ice age, Those same glaciers have been retreating there and all over the world since.

No one is disputing that temperatures have been rising. The big question is; does a very tenuous correlation of observed temperature rise and CO2 levels over a short period of time equal causation.

Interesting reading all the posts and opinions, and I agree that the pot shots don't do any good at all. The reality is in the real data and the science.

Regarding your last sentence, I would put it another way such as analyzing what effect the rise in CO2 levels could have on temperatures and climate. I think most agree that the data extracted from ice samples is sound and it shows that there have been variations in CO2 over the last 1000 years, but that there has been a monumental increase during the industrial revolution. Things like condensation nuclei additions also have to be factored in when you see all those coal plants being commissioned in China. The reason for the black and white poll was to see if people think man can influence the world's environment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Carbon_Dioxide_400kyr.png

of course someone who cannot grasp complexities will deny them rather than admit an inability to understand.!

those who cannot grasp the complexities are divided into two groups. some deny them, other blindly follow. you like to ridicule the former and are probably a part of the latter.

• Like 2

of course someone who cannot grasp complexities will deny them rather than admit an inability to understand.!

those who cannot grasp the complexities are divided into two groups. some deny them, other blindly follow. you like to ridicule the former and are probably a part of the latter.

sorry, i can grasp them.

Interesting reading all the posts and opinions, and I agree that the pot shots don't do any good at all. The reality is in the real data and the science.

Regarding your last sentence, I would put it another way such as analyzing what effect the rise in CO2 levels could have on temperatures and climate. I think most agree that the data extracted from ice samples is sound and it shows that there have been variations in CO2 over the last 1000 years, but that there has been a monumental increase during the industrial revolution. Things like condensation nuclei additions also have to be factored in when you see all those coal plants being commissioned in China. The reason for the black and white poll was to see if people think man can influence the world's environment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Carbon_Dioxide_400kyr.png

The reality is indeed in the data and it clearly shows that historically, temperature and CO2 are closely linked.

However, temperatures have always risen FIRST and then CO2 lags behind. Temerature drives CO2, not the other way round.

When i was a child the " official science " was asserting the chance of a big asteroid hitting the Earth as extremely remote.

In the last years we have had a huge improvement on technology, and now it seems that we are constantly bombarded with asteroids and the likes.. When the big one will come, they will probably not tell us.

IMHO this Planet is well described as a " clockwork orange " , and it has an expiry date on it.

Let's just wait for a big catastrophe, which will exterminate the biggest part of us... The ones who survive will erect a colourful totem, dance around it in the full moon nights, and worship fire and water.

So, let's not worry too much, enjoy the technology and be happy, we are too small to influence the future of the Planet.

Would you be so kind to take a few minutes and explain how the CO2 levels during the start of the Silurian period were vastly higher than they are today (and I really mean vastly) and yet it was the first ice-age following the Pre-Cambrian period.

co2_temperature_historical.png

And then go on to explain how my education in geology was a total waste of time.

Thanks in advance.

no

Would you be so kind to take a few minutes and explain how the CO2 levels during the start of the Silurian period were vastly higher than they are today (and I really mean vastly) and yet it was the first ice-age following the Pre-Cambrian period.

co2_temperature_historical.png

And then go on to explain how my education in geology was a total waste of time.

Thanks in advance.

Some might call the above graph an inconvenient fact.

• Like 2