Whites Only: European-owned Citra offers cash to 'whitest' students in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Whites Only: European-owned Citra offers cash to 'whitest' students"

Coconuts deliberately trying to stir it by putting "European-owned" in their headline.

I think it relevant and newsworthy that the company is European. They would not dare do such ads in Europe.

Coconuts deliberately trying to stir it by putting "European-owned" in their headline.

I think it relevant and newsworthy that the company is European. They would not dare do such ads in Europe.

Maybe, but this headline would indicate that the European arm of the company is behind this foul campaign.

It's funny (peculiar rather than ha ha). In my school, I teach kids from 3 to 12 years old. I've just had a look, and the ones who do better tend to have a darker hue than the others. I assume it's because they are allowed to play outside and do other things young kids should be doing.

My immediate thought was to give a scholarship to the darkest kid in the neighbourhood, but that would be joining in with the dicks.

A combination of an unhealthy fashion fad and racism seems an odd thing for a corporate to push. But if you have a business that is based on selling skin whitening products I guess it makes sense to promote white as the ideal and brown as bad. The Lakorn actresses promote this image too.

I suppose it's like 'Slimmer of the Year' - which can also encourage unhealthy body image issues amongst vulnerable teenagers.

And none of this is done for the opposite sex - who like healthy skin that's seen the outdoors (and some curves).

Speaking of curves - can we have photos of curvy girls with healthy skin tones in student uniforms please?

Not at all sure that it is true that none of this is done for the benefit of the opposite sex.

I gather that Thai men will readily make disparaging remarks in public as a dark-skinned woman passes by. I also gather that given a choice they will rent the tall white skinned hooker, and find it beyond their comprehension why the Farang men will spend any money on a black Isaan dwarf..

• Like 1

Racism is alive and well in Thailand, at least it would seem so at a corporate level anyway. Is this for real or some sort of coconuts spoof? It seems even more bigoted than the usual ads, which is saying a lot.

It's NOT racism. While the Thais have a preference for the 'lighter' skin, this isn't the usual black white thing they have going on in Europe and the United States.

No they don't. They have the Chinese-Thai vs. Issan thing going on here ...

coffee1.gif

Exactamundo. One of the funniest things i ever saw was a Thai Chinese friend of mine from Isaan getting teased by Thai Chinese Bangkokians about being from Isaan. Now that was a sociology study in itself.

Seriously, when was the last time you saw a big fat bald guy on a commercial for a hair care product?

Or a skinny little guy on an advertisement for a gym?

Or a semi-bald lady with acne on a shampoo commercial?

Or gone to a car show and seen real ugly old women as the models.

Is it discriminatory? Absolutely. Is it racism? Maybe, but it's culturally acceptable.

I've seen Anne Hathaway on a zillion ads. Whoopi Goldberg doesn't seem to get the same gigs. Halle Berry does get those gigs. So it ain't about race.

Is it fair? No, life isn't. Some folks won the genetic lottery, others didn't.

You think they're going to accept the whitest candidate, or the best looking of the ones that can best represent their product?

Me, I wish I had been born rich instead of just smart and good looking, but....

Edited by impulse

I am sure the farang general manager is having a bit of a discussion with his Thai Head of Marketing right about now.

It's a childish, bigoted and elitest advert. I am sure Unilever global won't be particularly proud of it.

• Like 1

Racism is alive and well in Thailand, at least it would seem so at a corporate level anyway. Is this for real or some sort of coconuts spoof? It seems even more bigoted than the usual ads, which is saying a lot.

It's NOT racism. While the Thais have a preference for the 'lighter' skin, this isn't the usual black white thing they have going on in Europe and the United States.

It is indeed a form of racism... Despite official claims that Thais are "all one tribe", darker skinnned isaan folk are often part Khmer and thew really white-skinned Bangkokers are often half or all Chinese.

A lot of westerners seem to only be able to grasp racism in terms of the legacy of western slavery and black vs white - negroid vs caucasian. It can be much more subtle than that. As an example, in Rwanda, the slaughter was race-based, even though both races were "black".

• Like 2

It's the old, old story of if your brown you're a peasant who works in the fields & have no money whereas if you are white you have enough money, a good job etc.& so are superior.

It was exactly the same in Europe 200 years ago. The whole stereotype is primitive & pretty sick in the 21st century but the capitalist companies continuing to perpetuate it & making money out of encouraging people to put harmful creams on their skin are in the same league as the Tobacco companies insisting that their products are 'safe' & it's ok to sell them...

SCUM...bah.gif

Absolutely repulsive that in 2013 you can promote something like this

But then again they are playing to Thai peoples desire to be whiter

Too many people associate white with being rich and successful and they believe the darker the skin the poorer you are. They assume dark skin is for farmers and labourers

• Like 1

Maybe, but this headline would indicate that the European arm of the company is behind this foul campaign.

Companies, be they in Asia or Europe, don`t do their own advertising.

Very likely however the advertising company behind this will be European also however, I know Saatchi have a large presence in Thailand as do many of the other market leaders.

Id be very curious to see what company it was.

It's the old, old story of if your brown you're a peasant who works in the fields & have no money whereas if you are white you have enough money, a good job etc.& so are superior.

It was exactly the same in Europe 200 years ago. The whole stereotype is primitive & pretty sick in the 21st century but the capitalist companies continuing to perpetuate it & making money out of encouraging people to put harmful creams on their skin are in the same league as the Tobacco companies insisting that their products are 'safe' & it's ok to sell them...

SCUM...bah.gif

I wonder if there is an intelligence test attached to the competition. Just to discover if the competing cadavers have a brain. Simple questions like "Name Thailand's neighbors? or What was Thailand called before it was named "Thailand'?

Companies, be they in Asia or Europe, don`t do their own advertising.

Very likely however the advertising company behind this will be European also however, I know Saatchi have a large presence in Thailand as do many of the other market leaders.

Id be very curious to see what company it was.

Well someone came up with the idea and someone at Unilever signed it off. Says a lot about what level of sociological understanding goes into advertising in Thailand.

I for one, admire very much the bloke or girl who came up with the fact that apparently brown armpits are in some way a sign of being lower class or unattractive, and as such, whitening deoderant was the way forward. How the girl cowers in shame on the bts with her brown armpit on show, which is only to be redeemed by whitening deoderant, which of course wins her the office hunk, note not a promotion.

It's like wondering that you have a spot on your tailbone. No one, least of all yourself can even see it.

I am sure the farang general manager is having a bit of a discussion with his Thai Head of Marketing right about now.

It's a childish, bigoted and elitest advert. I am sure Unilever global won't be particularly proud of it.

And the marketing manager shows him how the sales doubled in the last few days....

My guess is: it is childish, bigoted, elitest and it works. People who destroy their skin with these creams and risk a lot with all that beauty surgeries are the perfect target for such advertising.

• Like 1

it isn't? What is it then?

Many northern Europeans (especially younger women) spend much money each year to darken their skin, despite very real cautions about skin cancer? They do this because they are subverted by advertising and mis-guided peer pressure. Whereas many northern European men find the darker skinned ladies more attractive (Is that racism?)

The opposite is frequently the case in countries such as Thailand or China. This isn't racism, but I am not sure what it is (except folly !), and a confirmation of the power of advertising. Maybe lack of self-confidence and the "follow my leader" instinct ? But, surely it cannot be classified as racism.

Edited by attento

If we Europeans run into the "solarium" for artificial sun to get brown: Is that also racist?

No, because what we choose to do to ourselves is a choice we make. Indicating someone is inferior, less attractive, a lesser being because of their colour is racist. That is what this campaign seems to be implying.

You miss the point that it is about a whitening creme. It is like the Berlin solarium makes a contest who is the brownest German.

Here they put the whitening creme on their body. There they go in the solarium.

Some here and there have some genetic advantage to win the contest, but I guess here they will exclude the immigrant from Novosibirsk and there they will exclude the immigrant from Lagos.

But I can't detect racism....I think it is complete stupid but not racist.

I disagree in that I do detect the racist thinking that lies behind this campaign. They are indicating that the whiter you are the better you are. However I do agree with you on the stupidity of this campaign and those who are behind it.

Target on young girls I see it indicates the whiter you are the more beautiful you are.

Same as solarium.

Of course the whiter, the richer (and better) you are plays into it, on that I agree. But that you have on almost all beauty promotions. A promotion for a Polo TShirt also shows that rich successful guy. Implementing that with the purchase you will be someone better.

In total not ethical OK. But here I can't detect anything more than the usual beauty nonsense.

Yeah, probably. Probably going to get an earful from shareholders too. Both basically saying "why didn't you think of this earlier?".

Wake up and smell the capitalism. What executive of a profit driven company do you know really gives a hoot about CG? If that were the case IT firms would relocate production away from China and clothing firms would relocate out of South Asia....

Sure they each allocate a sum for "charitable activities" but guess what, they're tax deductible.

You miss the point that it is about a whitening creme. It is like the Berlin solarium makes a contest who is the brownest German.

Here they put the whitening creme on their body. There they go in the solarium.

Some here and there have some genetic advantage to win the contest, but I guess here they will exclude the immigrant from Novosibirsk and there they will exclude the immigrant from Lagos.

But I can't detect racism....I think it is complete stupid but not racist.

The campaign is abusing and quite well aware of the caste system in TH dictated by skin color. Hence - racism.

To expand white is beautiful to a caste system is a bit over the top.

I know several rich successful people who are almost black.

Just jumping in my mind:

The owner of the accounting company who make our companies external accounting for the revenue department

The lawyer we once needed

One business owner woman

One rich manager who is Chinese but does a lot outdoor sport, so the sun made him pretty dark

All black as black is possible in Thailand they are 100 % southern Thais (beside the Chinese) who are not afraid of the sun. They deal with the revenue department, big companies, courts and have obviously no problem being dark.

I can't detect a caste system based on the skin color. It is just girlis who want to be beautiful white.

But I can see some regional "racism" or better stereotypes in Thailand. But to make a sales show for whitening creme a racist event is too much.

edit: Minor changes

Edited by h90

No they don't. They have the Chinese-Thai vs. Issan thing going on here ...

coffee1.gif

May be, but that is not racism. They are the same race, only the color of skin is different. If you look at almost all Asian, South American, Mediterranean, and Middle Eastern societies, the lighter the skin the more desirable.

I am happy to see that, those who think that way can have all the pasty white-skinned women.

You have to be joking...racism is not only a black/white thing. Racism, like in this ad, comes in many forms, colours, shapes etc. etc. Take your rose colour glasses off and take another look.

Edited by mdmayes
  • Like 1