Amnesty bill 'not to whitewash Thaksin cases'

webfact

AMNESTY
Bill 'not to whitewash Thaksin cases'

Opas Boonlom,
Hataikarn Treesuwan
The Nation

30217771-01_big.gif
Justice Minister Chaikasem Nitisiri, centre, holds a press conference with Department of Legal Execution director-general Wisit Wisitsora-at, second left, and Department of Special Investigation director-general Tarit Pengdith

Prayuth insists plan linked to political turbulence, not to return of assets

BANGKOK: -- The revised version of the amnesty bill will not cover corruption or individual criminal cases including those faced by former PM Thaksin Shinawatra, Prayuth Siripanich insisted yesterday after facing a flood of questions.

Prayuth, deputy chair of a House committee vetting the amnesty bill, sponsored the amended clauses that grant blanket amnesty.

"The amnesty will not be applied to Thaksin because his legal predicament stemmed from alleged abuse of power with no links to political rallies," he told The Nation yesterday.

The 35-member ad hoc committee voted on Friday to rewrite a clause proposed by Prayuth that includes people facing legal action in cases stemming from investigations post the 2006 coup.

The most controversial point in the revised version is the expansion of the bill's coverage to include those accused of wrongdoing by the now-defunct Assets Examination Committee, which was set up after the 2006 coup to investigate alleged irregularities by the Thaksin government.

In October 2008, the Supreme Court sentenced the former PM to two years in jail for alleged abuse of power in relation to the Ratchadaphisek land scandal, after his then-wife bought a state-seized plot for a price much lower than the market price.

In February 2010, the court seized Bt46 billion of Thaksin's assets believed to have been earned from abuse of power, though other cases against him have been suspended while he remains a fugitive abroad.

Asked if Thaksin will get back the Bt46 billion, Prayuth said the amnesty bill does not allow for the seized assets to be returned.

"I confirm this. You can execute me [if I'm wrong]. The amnesty is all about justice. I will oppose any attempts to cite the amnesty as cause to undo the asset seizure," he said.

According to Prayuth, his proposal will only cover incidents linked to the political turbulence.

"The yellow shirts, the red shirts, state officials, soldiers in charge of crowd control, Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva and Democrat MP Suthep Thuagsuban will be absolved as well as the recent anti-government rallies, such as the ones at Urupong intersection and Lumpini Park," he said.

Prayuth's proposal caused a stir among opposition parties, while both anti-Thaksin groups and red-shirt protesters called on their members to get ready to stage big protests. Even Pheu Thai Party was split.

A key Pheu Thai member and a close aide to Thaksin said this was just the right time to whitewash the former premier's cases. "The Yingluck Shinawatra administration is entering its halfway mark, meaning it has no time to 'play safe', but will have to start 'taking risks'," he said.

"The Constitutional Court has recently ruled in favour of the government, so it appears to be a good sign. That's why this is the right time to push for the amnesty bill," the source said.

He went on to say that in the 2011 general elections, many people voted for Pheu Thai because they wanted Thaksin to return.

"Now it will become a symbolic fight. Our plan is if there are many protests and they force us to dissolve the House, then we will use the bill as a key campaigning tool in the new election," he said.

Meanwhile the change came as a surprise for the ruling party's strategic committee, which is led by former premier Somchai Wongsawat and politicians close to Yingluck. They did not find out about the revision until Friday, when the vetting panel announced its resolution to revise the bill.

"The blanket amnesty could work against the government as it has woken up the anti-government groups. This idea has come from politicians close to Thaksin," a source from the strategic committee said.

"They have forgotten why the government was unable to pass the reconciliation bill and the charter changes last year.

"They will not just be creating a new political morass, but will also earn the government a negative rating from its red-shirt supporters. The ruling party needs to rethink this."

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-23

Things aren't going Thaksin's way just at the moment, and he doesn't see them happening easily any time in the future, hence the panic is setting in. This is a do or die effort now I think . . . expect snap elections very soon (or a coup).

• Like 1

The only thing crebile here are the comments by the PT member, and Thaksin aide, that it's all about him which is the worst kept secret in the country.

His comment that it's time for the YL administration to start taking risks is way off though as it's not her administration and they don't have to take risks simply do what they are told.

If an early election is called the amnesty bill that lets Mr. T off the hook will be the key campaign tool as it's symbolic so the voters will know that any promises made to them and improvements to their way of life are dependent on PTP being elected but Mr. T comes first. Unfortunately there are many who will go for this and not only through personal conviction.

There is some serious back-pedalling going on here, but it's already too late; they made the change, and that change has been seen for what it was, to provide a total pardon for their feurher. I also echo the question of what the hell is Tarit doing there...?!

Let's see what impact the opposition by Tida, supposedly a staunch supporter of the PTP, will have on this amended version of the proposed bill.

I personally suspect they will now have to try the appeasement approach, suggesting that they have decided to lean towards the people's version of the Amnesty Bill for the sake of social stability.

The truth is, they have now clearly recognised that they have gone too far and need to do something to quell the rising opposition that they are now facing.

Bring on the next election, and make sure that there is international scrutiny of the political process, particularly with regard to vote rigging and vote buying...!!

• Like 1

"I confirm this. You can execute me [if I'm wrong]. The amnesty is all about justice," he said.

With Chalerm on his last legs, is this clown his chosen replacement for making absurd statements?

These boozers should go easy on the sauce.

Chalerm vows Thaksin will be home this year

"If I am wrong, you can behead me."

May 25, 2013

• Like 2

"I confirm this. You can execute me [if I'm wrong]. The amnesty is all about justice," he said.

With Chalerm on his last legs, is this clown his chosen replacement for making absurd statements?

These boozers should go easy on the sauce.

Chalerm vows Thaksin will be home this year

"If I am wrong, you can behead me."

May 25, 2013

Maybe Chalerm's current health issues are a round-about way of this happening.

Looking at the rogues gallery above and reading that the amnesty bill is all about justice should be a ridiculous joke but it's probably quite accurate.

Justice yes but justice Thai style which is so wonderfully flexible and accommodating depending on who you are, a disgraceful example of which we saw only yesterday over the night club fire.

Hey, this is what they call transparency. Go behind closed doors and make something up that helps the few, screws the many and call your government transparent.

• Like 1

Even f it where to whitewash the few Thaksin cases, the opposition had no problem whitewashing all the rapes of democracy by giving amnesty to coup takers and murdering soldiers over the last 70 years.

When did the opposition give amnesty to anyone?

Even f it where to whitewash the few Thaksin cases, the opposition had no problem whitewashing all the rapes of democracy by giving amnesty to coup takers and murdering soldiers over the last 70 years.

??? When what?

I recall only Prem gave amnesty for the Communists.....

• Like 1

What have the Romans ever done for us?

What's Thai for 'bread and games' ?

Kanom bpang laew geelaa

"The amnesty will not be applied to Thaksin because his legal predicament stemmed from alleged abuse of power with no links to political rallies"

That maybe the case for the moment but it may? will change in time. They know it and are trying to seek this one in while they can to cover T's back.

"The revised version of the amnesty bill will not cover corruption or individual criminal cases"

Which is not the same as saying: individual Amnesty will be covered under the Blanket Amnesty for all Bill! Same Same but different.

Edited by MAJIC

Some examples of things that Romans introduced to Britain that are still in use today:

Architecture, Art, Literature, Language.(Latin)

Sanitation (sewage), Aqueducts, Education, Irrigation ( water supply).

The Calendar, Coins, Cement and bricks. Public heated baths, Turnips and carrots, Cabbages & peas Apples, pears and grapes. Wine

Paved streets and pavements. Benefits (free food) for poor citizens.

Roads, Cats Stinging nettles. Towns, Glass, Street Cleaners, Shops, Laws, Tenement Blocks,

Public order, Firemen and Police. Parks,

Public libraries,

Public notices and advertisements

And sick transit.Glorious!

Edited by ratcatcher

One has to wonder why these days with deck stacked in his Favor why Thaksin doesn't just come back post bail and take it to the courts..

He must not think he will win.

Certainly has caused enough upheaval for years now.

Personally i don't see he has suffered much, with self imposed exile. Others sure have in his behalf.

Thaiiland has the Government it wants for the moment. But with the exception of him so far the only one to finish a term, it's temporary employment.

Asked if Thaksin will get back the Bt46 billion, Prayuth said the amnesty bill does not allow for the seized assets to be returned.
"I confirm this. You can execute me [if I'm wrong]. The amnesty is all about justice. I will oppose any attempts to cite the amnesty as cause to undo the asset seizure," Prayuth said.

The man is a complete liar. We expect no better from a Shinawatre gov't which appointed such sage leaders as Chalerm and Plodprasap. The revised amnesty bill is aimed at PT's top priority: Putting T back in the PM's chair, and releasing the tens of billions to his offshore bank accounts.