Unilever apologies for Thai skin whitening campaign

webfact

Many people here want to have lighter skin. Labelling it "racist" is ridiculous.

But it is racist. From my understanding (and many other people on this forum) light skin is associated with upper classes and people with darker tone skin and considered lower classes.. if that's not a racist generalisation what is? This country needs to grow up and join the 21st century, I find it all pretty pathetic.

Unilever are cashing in on Thai societies ridiculous prejudices, simple as that.

• Like 2

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given that these products don't actually change the colour of your skin one iota isn't it time that companies like Unilever were charged with fraud ?

So you mean companies should be charged for what they claim on their ads?

Then my friend i guess 95 % of the companies needs to be charged don't they?

And before anyone points out - No I am not saying the Ad Campaign was politically correct. But that is what ads are supposed to do - Lure people to use their product. This became an issue only because it is related to racism and the ethnicity of people. But how about other ads who gallantly lies and try to fool customers. Why aren;t anyone talking about it.

Shampoo that has a XYTZO, PTX, OXTY etc etc in it that helps the hair to stop falling . As all shampoo claims to have one of these god know what components no one should have gone bald.

A toothpaste that has double or triple action tooth whitener and antibacterial agent. Poor dentists should be looking to close their clinics

Some vitamin that helps to improve your eye so that you can stare at your phone for longer.

a carbonated drink that helps you be "yourself"

I can go on and on...

so it basically comes down to using your head when selecting products.... and not go after what they claim.

Many people here want to have lighter skin. Labelling it "racist" is ridiculous.

True, but discriminating against those who do not have the 'right' hue is racist. That is the bigotry that lies behind this campaign.

Think about it then, if it all boils down to sheer racism, then tanning bed ads are racist, implying you're not dark enough. People ought to stop calling everything racist. Skin tone varies a lot even within a race or creed. Calling everything racist is like the new hipster trend. Light here is trendy, like a tan or having a black boyfriend is trendy in some western countries; is that racist or trendy?

The lightness concept is throughout asia; also especially Japan, whether or not its ludicrous that is how they think (victorian era?)

Breaking the skin tone barrier, girls usually boil down to one of two categories: do-able or not do-able, haha.

Edited by gemini81

True, but discriminating against those who do not have the 'right' hue is racist. That is the bigotry that lies behind this campaign.

Think about it then, if it all boils down to sheer racism, then tanning bed ads are racist, implying you're not dark enough. People ought to stop calling everything racist. Skin tone varies a lot even within a race or creed. Calling everything racist is like the new hipster trend. Light here is trendy, like a tan or having a black boyfriend is trendy in some western countries; is that racist or trendy?

The lightness concept is throughout asia; also especially Japan, whether or not its ludicrous that is how they think (victorian era?)

Breaking the skin tone barrier, girls usually boil down to one of two categories: do-able or not do-able, haha.

What you choose to do to yourself is your choice. Saying that someone is inferior to you or of less worth because of their skin tone or that being white is superior and deserving of advancement is racist.

Edited by Bluespunk

Choosing to have whiter skin or a tan is personal, like thais love for cosmetic surgery and korean fashion... the unilever "scholarship" thing is almost the same as athletic scholarships, you benefit for something you have, the only difference is, this one is very superficial, but its a marketing strategy... if tanning bed or tanning lotion manufacturers give "scholarships" to people with the most beautiful tan, nobody will cry racist...

• Like 2

Choosing to have whiter skin or a tan is personal, like thais love for cosmetic surgery and korean fashion... the unilever "scholarship" thing is almost the same as athletic scholarships, you benefit for something you have, the only difference is, this one is very superficial, but its a marketing strategy... if tanning bed or tanning lotion manufacturers give "scholarships" to people with the most beautiful tan, nobody will cry racist...

Exactly; totally reverse overseas. If you wanna place it safe overseas, you have to criticize only fair skinned people as racist; that fits the politically correct agenda- its true but people avoid it. Its all BS and nonsense.

And this issue here is only marketing appealing to what people want.

At my age and with my sun soaking history, I have serious worries about skin cancer. I know it's not unheard of, but few dark skinned folk suffer from skin cancer. Maybe if this fact were better known, especially in a sun drenched country like this, the nonsense of White is best, may not be so popular!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Given that these products don't actually change the colour of your skin one iota isn't it time that companies like Unilever were charged with fraud ?

An interesting point. Lots of companies sell various cosmetic and health type products that claim to help, prevent or reverse things. Wonder how these products sit with legislation around what you can and can't claim.

Remember the old adverts - pipe smoking helped attract female attention ( St. Bruno) and drinking a beer a day was good for you (Double Diamond, Guiness, Mackeson).

One thing is for sure, Unilever would have been in deep shit very quickly had they chosen to run an advert like this in Europe - where they are registered and headquartered.

I have noticed SE Asian ladies - Thai and Pinays in particular are really keen on all these supplements, creams and lotions. I guess the marketing people home in on this.

All whitening products are racist and insulting by their very nature.

Just like the Black & White Minstrel show that used to be a popular variety show, sun tan lotion and darkening skin color creams, and gollywog toys.

All racist in the minds of the PC apologist patronizing thought police.

I know girls in the UK whose used "tan from a bottle" when entering beauty contests. Guess they were racists too, and sexists for demeaning females.

This advert was insulting because it implied people with darker skins are not as clever as those with more whiter colored ones - which is total nonsense.

If people wish to look whiter or darker, then that's their choice and does not make them racist or insulting to other people.

First of all: what does it matter, if it is racist or not? It is backwards and stupid!

Welcome to the 21st...or even 20th century, Thailand!

Second: if you really can not see the difference between a "beauty- concept" of being tanned (in the west) and a right- out defamation- concept of white skin over dark skin in Thailand, I can not help you!

If you are tanned in Germany, the UK, the USA...will anyone treat you better than the average "pale person"?

If you are white in Thailand, will (at least a number of) people treat you better than the person with the darker complexion?

See the difference?

Go figure!

• Like 2

"Skin whitening creams abound in Thailand, helped by the popularity of white-skinned models and actors on billboards and the television."

Unilever won't be satisfied until every woman in Thailand looks like Morticia Addams. Unfortunately, many Thai woman aspire for the same. Unfortunately, we don't know what the long term health effects are for using these Frankenstein-like products, but there is no way this story ends pretty.

Just ask the Japanese...

I agree, but its ...sad, in asia, where they use alot of mixed , or forigners in the ads . Instead of the real thai people ...that is dark skinned..

First of all: what does it matter, if it is racist or not? It is backwards and stupid!

Welcome to the 21st...or even 20th century, Thailand!

Second: if you really can not see the difference between a "beauty- concept" of being tanned (in the west) and a right- out defamation- concept of white skin over dark skin in Thailand, I can not help you!

If you are tanned in Germany, the UK, the USA...will anyone treat you better than the average "pale person"?

If you are white in Thailand, will (at least a number of) people treat you better than the person with the darker complexion?

See the difference?

Go figure!

Having a lighter skin is surely based on racism. In the education it is taught the darker you are, the less IQ you possess and it proofs you are from 'low-level' farm / rice worker. And look at all billboards.

Your perspectives are limited when you arrive in a metropole like Bangkok being dark. It is not about beauty, it is about belonging to the Hi-So crowd.

That a huge Anglo-Dutch conglomerate as Unilever needs such pathetic products on the shelves...... Most of those whitening products are not allowed to be sold in European countries for their metal contains. There was scandal in Vietnam couple of years ago. Procter & Gamble had production errors and too much mercury was added to the creams. They refused to refund customers. Vietnamese crowds threw in and smashed the windows of several beauty-products shops until the manufacturer told they would pay-back. Publicity campaigns promoting these products are co-responsible that this racism to judge people on color skin will continue. So shame on Unilever and I do not buy any of their products.

Will someone on Thai national tv please point out to Thai women with whitened faces that they look like zombies. Most ugly pale white skinned people would kill to have their beautiful golden brown colour.

Bizarrely, they all want nose jobs, western style eyes, boob jobs and white skin.

Do they hold western beauty as some kind of ideal? What a schizo place.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Having a lighter skin is surely based on racism. In the education it is taught the darker you are, the less IQ you possess and it proofs you are from 'low-level' farm / rice worker. And look at all billboards.

Your perspectives are limited when you arrive in a metropole like Bangkok being dark. It is not about beauty, it is about belonging to the Hi-So crowd.

That a huge Anglo-Dutch conglomerate as Unilever needs such pathetic products on the shelves...... Most of those whitening products are not allowed to be sold in European countries for their metal contains. There was scandal in Vietnam couple of years ago. Procter & Gamble had production errors and too much mercury was added to the creams. They refused to refund customers. Vietnamese crowds threw in and smashed the windows of several beauty-products shops until the manufacturer told they would pay-back. Publicity campaigns promoting these products are co-responsible that this racism to judge people on color skin will continue. So shame on Unilever and I do not buy any of their products.

I think you'd be hard pushed to find any [recognised] cosmetic company here that doesn't include a skin whitening cream of some sort in their product range.

There's no outcry in the West over all the women who want dark (tanned) skin

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I think it was absurd to complain about the blackened lady in the Donuts ad when skin-whitening advertisements are far more racist in nature.

All of them from Nivea to Olay imply that darker-skinned girls are uglier.

Not to talk about the media in Thailand where there is a clear apartheid in favor of white skinned actresses with big noses that are mostly the product of surgery.

I think it was absurd to complain about the blackened lady in the Donuts ad when skin-whitening advertisements are far more racist in nature.

Not to talk about the media in Thailand where there is a clear apartheid in favor of white skinned actresses with big noses that are mostly the product of surgery.

So, if it is dark skin which is glorified, its not racist; but light, it certainly is, you say. Obama and foreign political apologists teach you that? You sound well domesticated and programmed.

Sure it isn't that bit of human nature where we long for the things we don't have?

Edited by gemini81

So, if it is dark skin which is glorified, its not racist; but light, it certainly is, you say. Obama and foreign political apologists teach you that? You sound well domesticated and programmed.

Sure it isn't that bit of human nature where we long for the things we don't have?

It's not the glorifying of skin tone that is racist, it is the discrimination against people due to their colour that is racist. This campaign and others reinforce that racist attitude. They are based around the idea that you are a lesser person because of your colour. That is racism.

We are so human. The distinction is races has been proven to be essentially zero genetically.

It is discriminatory. In fact one could say that dark skinned girls are citras biggest target audience not the naturally white ones.

I suggest that everybody starts boycotting all of Unilever;s products and also petition the thai govt to take action by ceasing all this company;s operations in Thailand. Next, the Red shirts should protests and also get all their members to tash all Unilever's products thats available in any outlets and start burning down all Unilever's offices and factories and godowns. Indirectly white skin represents the power of the amart classes.

Also, burn any publications or media that carries Unilever;s ads and make sure that all other companies do not employ Unilever's staff or satff from their ad agency.

You are joking, right....?!

It's not the desire to change your skin tone that is racist, it is the message that light skin makes you superior, that it is ok to discriminate people because they are dark skinned that is racist. This campaign and others reinforce that racist attitude. They are based around the idea that you are a lesser person because you are the wrong colour. That is racism.

All ads attempt to make the individual incomplete or inferior if they don't get a hold of the particular product; that is modern marketing to suck you in- be it an I phone, a certain car, a condo.

It's not the desire to change your skin tone that is racist, it is the message that light skin makes you superior, that it is ok to discriminate people because they are dark skinned that is racist. This campaign and others reinforce that racist attitude. They are based around the idea that you are a lesser person because you are the wrong colour. That is racism.

All ads attempt to make the individual incomplete or inferior if they don't get a hold of the particular product; that is modern marketing to suck you in- be it an I phone, a certain car, a condo.

Yes they do. However this campaign is centred around the ideology of hate based on skin colour rather than consumer greed. It discriminates because of who you are, with the underlining implication being darker skin tones means you are inferior no matter what you do, no matter how much you achieve or are capable of doing. You are black, I am not, therefore I am better is their message. That makes it racist.

What's worse than the Thai obsession to have light-white skin, is Unilever's politically correct press release. That's sort of hypocritical, mai?

Unilever -- grow a set -- you're advertising scheme is working like a charm, so you're apologizing for what reason??? Perhaps you need new blood in your marketing department.

Edited by connda

I love it when folks decide to toss in the 'race card'. There is always someone who's gotta end their comments with "You're being a racist!!!"

Well, how the hell does that work when I'm buying tanning cream for my trip to the beach so that I can become a handsome-bronzed man like George Hamilton. I guess when you can't win an intelligent conversation with someone, you just start tossing around the connotation that perhaps anybody who has light-skin is a racist, Weak argument at best -- maybe even racist!

Edited by connda