Chiang Mai International Flight Departures Getting Expensive

Notstupid30

Well it seems like another budget airline want's to start charging premium price for Asian regional flight's... As you all may know Tigerair starts there CNX - SiN next week and don't get me wrong 4,800THB seems a fair price for a 3 hour flight to Singapore for next month but when looking for a flight in Dec and getting quoted nearly 18,000THB for a return ticket is a bit outrageous to say the least and that's only spending two days in Singapore ...

Even flying with Air Asia to Kuala Lumpur that's getting close to 15,000THB for a few days away break as i have just notice when looking at my options at flights.. ? Even not so long ago i flown MAN - CAL - BKK - CNX and that cost us 20,000THB for a one way ticket with Egyptair & Bangkok Airways ..

I just thought i would give everybody head up on my findings so far ...

I think you have been unlucky with your choice of dates - and Tiger website does not make it easy to find cheaper. Try Skyscanner where you can get a 'whole month' view and pick cheaper dates that suit you. For example 1-10 Dec, 12k baht all in.

The other issue with Singapore is the cost of hotels. I know some locals tend to fly to JB, on the border with Malaya where hotels are good value, then cross into Singapore daily and travel down by MRT - but not a hassle-free break!!

Your advice regarding Air Asia is not usually valid.

AirAsia.com usually list Value Fare Promotions with a total of less that 20 seats available at that PROMOTIONAL PRICE.

I have routinely searched AirAsia.com for the last 3 years always looking to book their marketed PROMO FARE. However, it is NEVER found exactly as they advertise bce I do not wait-up until 1 minute after mid-night on the start of the Promotional Fare Booking Period ......

AirAsia CEO Tony Fernandez is a talented & shroud business man.....he knows how to plant the HOOK!

wai2.gif

Keep looking for Air Asia promotions. I flew to KL on Air Asia for 399 Baht or 798 Baht return.

Yes prices are going up. It is a fool thing to wait for a promotion unless you have nothing better to do with your time and don't care when you go this month two months makes no difference.

As was said earlier promotion prices are offered to only a few people the majority have to pay the full price plus money for a drink of water.thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Sure its not because we are coming into the peak holiday season. Most airlines increase quite a bit from 1 November. I know a friend of mine delayed his flight on Singapore Airlines by one day over festive period and there was a 450USD saving. Tiger have done the same over Christmas plus their only real competition for a direct flight is Silkair and cant recall them ever having really big savings. If you can play with dates and route I have always found Airasia cheapest but not quickest.

Edited by mamborobert

Sure its not because we are coming into the peak holiday season. Most airlines increase quite a bit from 1 November. I know a friend of mine delayed his flight on Singapore Airlines by one day over festive period and there was a 450USD saving. Tiger have done the same over Christmas plus their only real competition for a direct flight is Silkair and cant recall them ever having really big savings. If you can play with dates and route I have always found Airasia cheapest but not quickest.

Yes, it is the normal holiday season high prices.

I noticed this last month - I looked for a far CNX-KUL, can't remember exactly what the date or price was but it was outrageous. Then I looked same day CNX-BKK then BKK-KL and it was almost half the price. We decided against going. We have had an occasional cheapie to KL, but you have to keep looking almost daily to find the promo fares.

I think you have been unlucky with your choice of dates - and Tiger website does not make it easy to find cheaper. Try Skyscanner where you can get a 'whole month' view and pick cheaper dates that suit you. For example 1-10 Dec, 12k baht all in.

The other issue with Singapore is the cost of hotels. I know some locals tend to fly to JB, on the border with Malaya where hotels are good value, then cross into Singapore daily and travel down by MRT - but not a hassle-free break!!

I just googled Skyscanner and I notice that the website is in Thai language only ....

I just googled Skyscanner and I notice that the website is in Thai language only ....

look for the thai flag at top of skyscanner and click it to change language. Can also change currency and home country then bookmark for next site visit. Easy...

look for the thai flag at top of skyscanner and click it to change language. Can also change currency and home country then bookmark for next site visit. Easy...

Your advice regarding Air Asia is not usually valid.

AirAsia.com usually list Value Fare Promotions with a total of less that 20 seats available at that PROMOTIONAL PRICE.

I have routinely searched AirAsia.com for the last 3 years always looking to book their marketed PROMO FARE. However, it is NEVER found exactly as they advertise bce I do not wait-up until 1 minute after mid-night on the start of the Promotional Fare Booking Period ......

AirAsia CEO Tony Fernandez is a talented & shroud business man.....he knows how to plant the HOOK!

wai2.gif

Keep looking for Air Asia promotions. I flew to KL on Air Asia for 399 Baht or 798 Baht return.

Not true. I have flown Air Asia dozens and dozens of times. There are always plenty of seats available on the promotions. I usually fly for around 400-700 Baht each way, anywhere in SE Asia. The last couple of promotions I waited until almost the last day of the promotion and still got the cheapest fares to Phuket, Bangkok, etc.

Yes prices are going up. It is a fool thing to wait for a promotion unless you have nothing better to do with your time and don't care when you go this month two months makes no difference.

As was said earlier promotion prices are offered to only a few people the majority have to pay the full price plus money for a drink of water.thumbsup.gif

As usual, you haven't a clue what you are talking about.

Genuine question: why would anyone want to leave Chiang Mai and spend time in a place like Singapore? (plus go to all the trouble of finding a "cheap' fare)

How on earth can this be a genuine question ???

1. To meet friends.

2. Holiday.

3. Visit Singapore for the first time.... make up their own mind about the place.

4. Carry our business.

+ about another 100 genuine reasons.

Why not ask something sensible ?

post-4641-1156693976.gif.pagespeed.ce.Jg

The 18,000 THB return fare from Chiang Mai to Singapore seems like a bargain to me.

If you do not have enough money, why not travel on different dates, travel elsewhere, or catch the bus.

I just put in random dates of nov 13 return nov 20 bkk/sin/bkk and got all kinds of flights for a roundtrip price of about 4000 baht.....hard to complain about that. And yes I know there are add ons for luggage, seats, meals etc but those are OPTIONAL meaning you do NOT have to eat or pick a seat or carry a bunch of luggage with you on a short flight. but if YOU choose to do so then YOU have to pay and not be subsidized by other passengers who don't need those services.

Air Asia has done more to bring down the cost of airfares to/from/ within Thailand than any other airline. Is it perfect? NO....but try and imagine what airfares would be if Thai Airways still had a virtual monopoly.

• Like 2

At last-a sane post about budget airlines.

If you want to travel at low cost with no fringes and spend your cash at your destination,go for it. If you prefer to pay more to higher cost carriers and not think about their costs for luggage handling, food etc go for that.

Your choice - but love 'em or hate' em, it is undeniable that budget carriers have brought down fares and are popular with many fliers-if they weren't they would be out of biz by now, right?

The 18,000 THB return fare from Chiang Mai to Singapore seems like a bargain to me.

If you do not have enough money, why not travel on different dates, travel elsewhere, or catch the bus.

I just put in random dates of nov 13 return nov 20 bkk/sin/bkk and got all kinds of flights for a roundtrip price of about 4000 baht.....hard to complain about that. And yes I know there are add ons for luggage, seats, meals etc but those are OPTIONAL meaning you do NOT have to eat or pick a seat or carry a bunch of luggage with you on a short flight. but if YOU choose to do so then YOU have to pay and not be subsidized by other passengers who don't need those services.

Air Asia has done more to bring down the cost of airfares to/from/ within Thailand than any other airline. Is it perfect? NO....but try and imagine what airfares would be if Thai Airways still had a virtual monopoly.

Looked at everything people and it seems everywhere is expensive flying out of Chiang Mai these days ? also did state that next month is cheap but Dec isn't as i'm about to show you people ..

Yes, but like 'we people' said, it all depends what dates you pick. We are flying to Sing in early Nov for a week for less than 14k for 2 all up. Dec is more but some dates quite a lot less than the figures you show. Just unlucky if you are stuck with fixed dates I guesssad.png

• Like 1

I got a couple for 5,000 plus and a lot for over 11,000