Questioned at Suvarnabhumi Airport RE: My Tourist Status, Is this common? Anyone been refused entry?

Back in February, my Taiwanese partner and I both acquired triple entry tourist visas from the Thai consulate in my home town Brisbane, Australia. We had since used up all of our entries so we needed to apply for a new tourist visa for the first time.

This evening, we arrived at Suvarnabhumi Airport after spending 3 nights in Yangon where we both acquired single entry tourist visas from the Thai embassy there without any fuss. However upon arrival this evening, I was questioned by the immigration officer as to what I've been doing in Thailand the past 8 months? Am I working in Thailand? How can I afford to stay in Thailand? Who do I stay with in Thailand? Is she Thai? Where is she from? etc Meanwhile my partner moved through another queue, no questions asked.

The immigration officer then called over her supervisor (also a female) who took me for a walk behind the both while looking through my passport and then asked me the same series of questions, before I was taken over to a third immigration officer (a male), who listened to the other two (female) officers explain to him that they were suspicious that I was working in Thailand illegally, that I had come in and out of the country 4 times over the past 8 months. How could he afford this? etc I could understand all of the conversation, due to the fact that I spent one year studying the language full time here many years ago as an exchange student. I never at any stage let them know that I understood though.

I overheard the gentlemen ask the ladies to explain to me that these back to back tourist visas did not look good and that I should apply for the appropriate visa if I wish to live in the country long term. This was not passed on to me and in the mean time my partner had walked over to see what was going on. They asked to see her passport while going through the same series of questions with me AGAIN.

I told them that we've been travelling around Thailand and a little bit around Asia together, we have savings because we have worked for many years and that the cost of living here is cheap enough for us to afford such a trip. I told them that we will travel next to Laos on December 19 and in response to their questions about where we've been travelling in Thailand, I rattled off the names of a number of destinations we have been to which they seemed to be impressed with. They didn't ask my partner anything and reassured each other that what I said matched up with the information from our passports. I was then taken back to a booth, stamped in for 60 days and then sent on my way.

Now, is this a common occurrence at international entry points here? Has anyone else experienced a similar scenario? Does anyone know what would happen in the worst case where they didn't like my answers and explanations? I thought once you're issued with a visa, everything should run smoothly? I'm pretty confident that they legally can't send me back to Burma! But what would they do? Arrest and deport me? Maybe just stamp me in with a limited amount of days to basically pack up and leave the country for good?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Immigration must be able to legally refuse you entry, otherwise what would be the point in having them?

I didn't say they couldn't, I said that they cannot legally send me back to Burma. And as a result of that, I wanted to know what would be the next case of action had I been refused entry.

Immigration must be able to legally refuse you entry, otherwise what would be the point in having them?

I didn't say they couldn't, I said that they cannot legally send me back to Burma. And as a result of that, I wanted to know what would be the next case of action had I been refused entry.

they probably would have put you on the first flight back to OZ had it come to it.

I suspect that if they had rejected your entry you would have been detained until you could obtain a flight to your home country.

Immigration have every right to carry out checks and questions, however, its a little unnerving as they don't usually do this. In the UK they grill every non EU citizen (politely). You obviously explained your situation clearly and to their satisfaction.

Check that you have a valid visa and refuse you if you don't? Seems the obvious answer to your question!

It is not obvious to me that they could refuse you even though you had applied for a visa one day previous and been given one (though I understand why they do have those powers - consulates and embassies do not apparently consider all the relevant issues when they grant a visa even though they surely must have, or at least you would expect they should be capable of having, all the same info to make such decisions that an immigration officer has)

Check that you have a valid visa and refuse you if you don't? Seems the obvious answer to your question!

Obvious maybe, but wrong. The airline will already have checked that you have a valid visa.

As is your post...wrong. Visa on arrival; how do the airlines check these?

• Like 1

For a visa on arrival they would be checking to see if you have a ticket out of the country within 15 days and are allowed to get one.

But I think you are really trying to say a visa exempt entry. Which is when they also check to see if you qualify for it and have a ticket out within the allowed period of stay.

Obvious maybe, but wrong. The airline will already have checked that you have a valid visa.

Pointless argument ! Very few countries citizens are given the right to VOA's .

Immigration officers have the right and duty to question anyone they believe to be abusing a visa.

• Like 1

It is doubtful they would refuse entry if it was only a suspicion that somebody was working. But they could easily stamp you in for a shorter stay than the 60 day tourist visa allows. Perhaps as little as 7 days to get out of the country.

So immigration is there to issue VoA. Why can't I just walk right through if I already have a visa then?

So immigration is there to issue VoA. Why can't I just walk right through if I already have a visa then?

Once again: a visa is NOT an automatic right to enter the country. The link explaining this has already been posted herein.

Back on topic: the OP fits the modus operandi of the 'perpetual tourist' which is almost identical modus operandi of the 'illegal worker'. Thankfully the OP understands the language well enough to understand what was being asked about him between the Thai Immigration officers. It wasn't a shakedown or a money grab or an illegal harassment. It was a legitimate check when you consider all the recent changes in what is required to qualify for a visa of any sort these days. The OP's answers proved sufficiently that he had traveled extensively in Thailand and no further action was taken.

Now, the 'working for myself online' type who rents a flop in Bangna, knows the Bangkok club scene inside out but can't tell his Samet from his Samui may have had a harder time justifying how he managed to survive in LOS.

• Like 1

Happened to a friend living in the Philippines, he is late forties, well off but was told my the Philippine Immigration officer that she suspected that he was working illegally (he had based himself in the Phils for about two year.)

Immigration can be arbitrary at times and not only in Thailand...

An Immigration Officer can refuse entry if (as in this case) there is reason to suspect that the terms under which a visa was granted are being abused.

It appears most of the post are missing the point here,

and not so kindly either.

He never stated he had an issue with the questioning or that he didn't feel it was justified.

What he asked was: has anyone else had this happen to them?

If so what was their similar experience....is what he was probably seeking.

It's amazing how many people wish to work for or help enforce the Thai Immigration rules or rights on this post.

Have a drink and consider why you are evening posting to this topic if you just want to throw back the Immigration had the rights ect.

I found the topic interesting as I've known several people that would do boarder runs on a monthly bases,

to avoid a visa, and just live off the entry stamp.

So it was interesting that time has finally come to this sort of treatment,

with people who actually have gone through the process of obtaining a proper visa of some sort.

I would of been caught by surprise after a long day of obtaining a visa to have experienced this sort of response by Immigration,

so nice heads up on Lambous part.

Hope he didn't get discourage by all the wanta be enforcers posting on this topic.

I have noticed in the past 15 years it does appear to be getting much harder to enter into Thailand,

when compared to neighboring countries,

and I hope that trend doesn't get even tougher still.

lambous

Interesting that all immigration officers, even in the West, have exactly the same powers !

It is not difficult to enter Thailand if the (simple) rules are followed.

• Like 1

I had the same thing happen in Australia recently . My Thai girlfriend has a one year multiple entry Tourist Visa & they said that she has been to Au to often to use a tourist Visa and they could refuse her entry .i am puzzled that why would they give a multiple entry Tourist Visa to anyone if you can't use it . Multiple means two or more and she had used it three times for a couple of months at a time because we have commitments in both countries and can't stay too long at each .

Travellers arriving in Thailand with a tourist visa are not routinely questioned in the manner you have been, but it can happen when the immigration officer gains the impression, based on the traveller's arrival and departure pattern, that he might be working illegally in Thailand.

A visa does not automatically entitle the traveller to a permission to stay in Thailand:

...The visa does not guarantee entry to Thailand...Each time you arrive at the port-of-entry, an immigration officer decides whether to allow you to enter and how long you can stay. Only the immigration officer has the authority to permit you to enter Thailand...

Source: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/content/visaxpiredate.html

I can assure you after having travelled to over 48 countries, and I ahve been to some over 4 times I have been asked the same questions as you. It CAN be that offials like to be OFFICIAL sometimes.... no matter WHAT COUNTRY. Try going to Australia on 2 Tourist visas in the one year and you may find yourself on a plane returned to sender ... not so friendly..... no answers and no way of appeal.

Airlines may or may not check to see if you have a valid visa, but it's solely to protect themselves since they might have to fly you out of the country with or without payment. In any event, that's for their own benefit, they are not performing the task on behalf of Immigrations. And, obviously, many people arriving in Thailand plan to enter based on a visa exempt entry, in which case the airline would have no visa to check, although they might check to see if you've paid for a flight out of the country ... again to save themselves the potential of having to carry you back home for free,

While Immigrations will almost always honor a visa issued by a Thai Consulate or Embassy, Immigrations has the right and responsibility to screen people entering the country and has the right to investigate anything that seems suspect to them and possibly detain or expel you even if you were given a visa.

As SantiSuk said, Immigrations officers serve a function. It's not just to mindlessly stamp things in your passport.

• Like 2

Western countries normally provide a multi entry visa - for the USA a Thai routinely gets a 10 year multi entry visa. But they are not expected to be in US more than 3-6 months at a time with serious time between entries. Period of allowed stay is determined at entry.

As the OP has been actively seeking work in Thailand at least according to his TV post in MARCH 2013, it seems the suspicions of the IMM Agents at BKK were not totally without substance.

Well picked up.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the crackdown on back-to-back TVs been in place for some time ?

I believe this as much a case of the higher powers attempting to check on the issuance of visas as much as check on the individual.

Checking that their own agencies are performing as expected. I had all my previous extensions catalogued when I recently applied for an exit permit (Krabi) . It took nearly an hour , with the explanation that there were minimal staff due to an official meeting in Hat Yai. Those that were working were doing everything meticulously and by the book .

Hopefully it will make for a more streamlined experience with less loopholes to be exploited and less opportunities for mal-practise .