Suzuki Skywave 400 - year 2003. Any experiences?

roban

I can buy a Suzuki Skywave/Burgmann 400 for, let's say a fair price.

Any chances to get spare parts here without giant afford?

For example: brake pads/disks, transmission belt, etc. pp.?

What are your experiences in daily use, especially in heavy traffic (Pattaya in my case)?

Is the bike not too heavy?

I am a little bit undecided.

Or is it better, to invest the the money into a PCX?

post-97561-0-31851600-1382661886_thumb.j

Edited by roban

Your fear for not able to buy spare parts locally is an excellent point. The Suzuki Burgman 400 is a 10 years old.

If I was you, and was looking for a nice maxi-scooter, I would look at the new 2014 Sym Maxsym 400i, or if you can step down on power and performance you can look at the Honda Forza 300i, both this maxi-scooters are officially released by the manufacturer in Thailand and are remarkable affordable, plus spare parts and service is no problem at all.

Edited by Richard-BKK

The Honda PCX150 is not a maxi-scooter, and even on its own level it soon has to proof it can stand up against the similar priced Suzuki Burgman 200...

The Burgman looks interesting and the apparent extra HP (18 claimed) should be nice.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Your fear for not able to buy spare parts locally is an excellent point. The Suzuki Burgman 400 is a 10 years old.

If I was you, and was looking for a nice maxi-scooter, I would look at the new 2014 Sym Maxsym 400i, or if you can step down on power and performance you can look at the Honda Forza 300i, both this maxi-scooters are officially released by the manufacturer in Thailand and are remarkable affordable, plus spare parts and service is no problem at all.

Well, but the Forza and even more the Sym 400 are in a completely different price-range.

The price for the Skywave will be in the 55K Baht region.

I don't plan to do long trips on the bike, only riding around town.

Hence I am not sure, if this bike would not end as a "nice to have, but too cumbersome for daily use" dust catcher, parking unused 95% of the time. rolleyes.gif

The Honda PCX150 is not a maxi-scooter, and even on its own level it soon has to proof it can stand up against the similar priced Suzuki Burgman 200...

Is the 200 Burgmann officially available in Thailand?

If yes, at which price?

Edited by roban

You jest surely? The Burgman 200 coming soon is almost identical to the one they had 12 years ago. It was an ugly scooter then and still is!

His best bet is to invest in a Forza.

Forza and Sym are definitely no options, because of the massive price difference, compared to the Skywave.

I don't intend to invest so much money into just a scooter. (I have a car and two motocys already wink.png)

It will be the (more or less inexpensive) Skywave, or nothing.

So I will re-formulate a part of my question:

"Is a Maxi Scooter like Sym 400, Honda Forza or Suzuki Skywave too big or heavy for daily use around town"

The other part of my question, regarding spare parts has been positively answered...thumbsup.gif

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=burgman&catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20131025014706

Riding around town= PCX.

One time I was riding around town on my PCX with a Forza on my tail pipe and as soon as we hit traffic he was not going anywhere and was stuck behind cars and I never saw him again.

The Forza must surely be one of the top contenders as most ugly scooter ever, yes?biggrin.png

Out on the highway a Forza/Sym is way better than a PCX.

Well, but the Forza and even more the Sym 400 are in a completely different price-range.

The price for the Skywave will be in the 55K Baht region.

I don't plan to do long trips on the bike, only riding around town.

Hence I am not sure, if this bike would not end as a "nice to have, but too cumbersome for daily use" dust catcher, parking unused 95% of the time. rolleyes.gif

Is the 200 Burgmann officially available in Thailand?

If yes, at which price?

A 2003 Suzuki Skywave 400 for 55,000 THB is not a bad price, I would go for the Suzuki Skywave 400 assuming that the scoot is fully legal and in good condition.

And yes the Suzuki Burgman 200 will soon be introduced on the Thai market (Made in Thailand), the price for the Suzuki Burgman 200 is officially not set yet, but as Suzuki Thailand wants to go head on with the Honda PCX150 we can expect the price to be similar...

Riding around town= PCX.

One time I was riding around town on my PCX with a Forza on my tail pipe and as soon as we hit traffic he was not going anywhere and was stuck behind cars and I never saw him again.

The Forza must surely be one of the top contenders as most ugly scooter ever, yes?biggrin.png

Out on the highway a Forza/Sym is way better than a PCX.

just about sums up why - 'in pattaya, pcx is king'.......

A 2003 Suzuki Skywave 400 for 55,000 THB is not a bad price, I would go for the Suzuki Skywave 400 assuming that the scoot is fully legal and in good condition.

Condition is good, no broken fairings or larger scratches etc. (But I would change the color to black matte anyway)

Tires are good for a few 1000k's

Brake discs are not worn, engine starts at the first push and is running good.

Bike has a green book, frame/engine numbers are matching...All necessary transfer docs available.

Riding around town= PCX.

that's what I fear...

Edited by roban

^

55 k for a 400 cc legal scooter is pretty good, just go buy it but did you check if the chassis and engine number matches the ones stated on the green book as price is suspiciously too low.

anyway, to answer your questions about the ride-ability in town of a maxi scooter, i think it will not be much difference from a pcx, so no worries, it should be a fine and a plush ride for a farang. you look better on it too and even go for some comfy touring.

Edited by ll2

I have a PCX 150 which is a great scooter. It's down on power against a Forza or Sym 400 in the stoplight GP....but that's not a big problem. Going out the motorway to L.T.D. the other week I saw an indicated 120....which would be 105 I guess. It's fine at those speeds. The front brake is adequate, but will be upgraded soon. I am happy with it.

Hell I use my Kawasaki 650 ER6n in Pattaya & it rides in between traffic lanes effortlessly. And the weight is quite a bit more than the 400 scooters.

Pattaya would be do-able for the ride, but as others suggested it is old & was not the most popular scooter back in it's day so parts may have to be tracked down. But if the price is right you can't get to banged up on resale. The PCX will lose value quickly the minute they change the model cut( about every 3rd year the bike loses value. The Forza or Sim probably a better ride but way more than what you will be paying. And That old you have inspections every year. Good luck on any way you go with it!

Hell I use my Kawasaki 650 ER6n in Pattaya & it rides in between traffic lanes effortlessly. And the weight is quite a bit more than the 400 scooters.

Pattaya would be do-able for the ride, but as others suggested it is old & was not the most popular scooter back in it's day so parts may have to be tracked down. But if the price is right you can't get to banged up on resale. The PCX will lose value quickly the minute they change the model cut( about every 3rd year the bike loses value. The Forza or Sim probably a better ride but way more than what you will be paying. And That old you have inspections every year. Good luck on any way you go with it!

i'd rather be taking PCX depreciation on the chin rather than ER6N depreciation now the CB500 range is out.....

a 3 year old PCX is worth circa 50,000b - compared to its 72,500b purchace price - some loss - that's almost as cheap as getting the Baht bus.

A geared 650cc bike in Pattaya traffic is pure torture, thats why "in Pattaya the PCX is king"

i'd rather be taking PCX depreciation on the chin rather than ER6N depreciation now the CB500 range is out.....

a 3 year old PCX is worth circa 50,000b - compared to its 72,500b purchace price - some loss - that's almost as cheap as getting the Baht bus.

A geared 650cc bike in Pattaya traffic is pure torture, thats why "in Pattaya the PCX is king"

You know I used a PCX 150 for 3 months when I took care of a buddies bike & I thought it was kinda a turd on wheels. My Yamaha Nuovo 135 had way more guts. But I grew bored of a little scooter & the ER6n is exactly the same size(handlebar & rear box) the only difference now is the weight which I am used to now & I don't have the cars & trucks trying to force me off the road anymore like they do in Pattaya.And when people start driving like shit(which is often I am 8 car lengths in a second) & out of harms way. Both bikes have pros & cons. My bike at what I paid I can still make 5000 baht for what the year I have sells for. The PCX is worth 30,000 baht less when you drive it off the lot. But that part of the bike does not matter to me. Now is if it is exciting to drive. I got used to 1000, 1100, 1800 & a 2200cc in the States so the little scooters while they have purpose I got to have power. 120-130 KPH at best is not much more than my 1969 Yamalube 80cc had on top end. My minibikes I had when I was a kid that I built had more power than the PCX ever dream of.

"You know I used a PCX 150 for 3 months when I took care of a buddies bike & I thought it was kinda a turd on wheels." Strange comment blink.png

"My Yamaha Nuovo 135 had way more guts." I find that hard to believe. There maybe a slight advantage in power to weight. whistling.gif

"120-130 KPH at best is not much more than my 1969 Yamalube 80cc had on top end." Mine was the 100cc version and needed a tail wind to get to 120! facepalm.gif

"You know I used a PCX 150 for 3 months when I took care of a buddies bike & I thought it was kinda a turd on wheels." Strange comment blink.png

"My Yamaha Nuovo 135 had way more guts." I find that hard to believe. There maybe a slight advantage in power to weight. whistling.gif

"120-130 KPH at best is not much more than my 1969 Yamalube 80cc had on top end." Mine was the 100cc version and needed a tail wind to get to 120! facepalm.gif

My 80 cc was a 2 stroke & would go 70 MPH when I was full tucked. I rode it on the freeways in San Francisco & La. My Yamaha was way quicker off the line & would hold 120 KPH all day long the PCX was slow off the line had problems with the clutch(accumulation of dust from the drive system - very common complaint with the PCX.) I just grew out of little scooters. They lack enjoyment in my experience - but they do serve a purpose. I did like the auto on feature. I wasn't that fond of my Yamaha either as autos & trucks would always try to ace me off the road. 650 nothing gets close enough to try to push me off the road & I can get out of the way quick if there is a wreck about to happen. To me that is the most important factor to keep me from accidents in Pattaya.Thats just me if I was 15 years old again the PCX or a small scooter may have been cool but I like to ride motorcycles oppose to scooters.