How do people manage to get scammed by taxis at Swampy?

ExpatJ

Have a friend that comes through often too. He makes sure the driver sees him taking a picture of the plate / back end of the car after loading his bags into the trunk. (he sends it to his girlfriend through his phone then).........and ah yes, he has never had a single problem !!!

That is what I do. Less for fear of being scammed but my ex once left very expensive bins and two cameras in a Taxi and of course could not remember the taxi number.

• Like 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the OP was that smart he would like me have a regular taxi driver who is actually now a very good friend.

We meet at the meeting point,he takes my bags from my weary arms and hands me my pre discussed bag of fluids and snacks freshly purchased from 7-11.

We never use the meter, he pays all the tolls and we chat about family and work and football.

That's the way to use taxis when arriving in Bangkok,non of that waiting outside lark.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well aren't you precious.

Not at all it's called using your loaf,although being a circusman I guess that doesn't come easy,your not a clown are you by any chance ?

Nothing wrong with being smart ... just don't be so smug about it. It doesn't look good on you.

A post in violation of this forum rule has been removed:

31) Bangkok Post do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post publications will be deleted from the forum. Please note that this is a decision by the Bangkok Post, not by Thaivisa.com and any complaints or other issues concerning this rule should be directed to them. Quotes from and links to Phuketwan are also not allowed and will also be removed. In special cases forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources.

If the OP was that smart he would like me have a regular taxi driver who is actually now a very good friend.

We meet at the meeting point,he takes my bags from my weary arms and hands me my pre discussed bag of fluids and snacks freshly purchased from 7-11.

We never use the meter, he pays all the tolls and we chat about family and work and football.

That's the way to use taxis when arriving in Bangkok,non of that waiting outside lark.

Well aren't you precious.

Ha ha ha,, i know that one..

Thanks guys. I've decided to take the lift to departures and catch a drive-by next month at Swampy. We only have just over two hours to get to DMK on landing and we are always cutting it fine. Particularly if the bags take forever to hit the carousel and then we are held up at arrivals taxi rank with half a dozen Chinese causing pandemonium for fifteen minutes like last time.

You can use the official taxi stand and get in to a metered taxi... and then right after leaving the airport the driver suddenly decides using the meter is not good enough and starts wanting to name his price. Happened to me more than a few times as I live a long way from the airport. Fortunately I know the correct fare for where I am going so the driver just gets that but misses out on the tip I would usually give, but a first timer to Thailand, late at night, just off a long international flight might easily be intimidated and pay up. Are you going to argue over what may amount to an overcharge of only a few dollars and risk getting knifed by some driver high on yaba or just wear it and complain later on an internet forum? Getting a taxi from the official stand doesn't guarantee a smooth ride and ringing the complaints line provided on your taxi chit... only had to do that once over something, it wasn't an overcharge, they couldn't help me. before I ever went to thailand I reseach it for 18 months when I got there, I new what to do. as far as the airport taxis & etc when I got thru emagration walk up to departures and got a cab droping someone off to bbk for 325 baht.

I, like you have been using taxis here for many years, and as I speak the language they hardly ever try it on.

However last week one tried from the Public Taxi stand at Don Muang.

I was getting a taxi to Pattaya, from DM it's a set 1,600 baht.

I checked with the girl and she confirmed the tollway was included.

He tried to add the tollway to the fare and then when I expressed that I was pleased that I had got in one of the new 'high' taxis he told me there was a 200 baht supplement for this......

Needless to say he only got the 1600, but I wonder what happened to the usual AOT 50 baht?.....

His girlfriend called him while driving to find out where he was, and was surprised to hear he was out of BKK on his way to Pattaya.

I was amused to hear him tell her that he was doing it because the foreigner was paying him 2,500 baht!

Thai style....

1600 BAHT !!!!!...............Are you for real ,I pay 900 from DM to Pattaya ....cheesy.gif Sometimes the so called EXPERIENCED are getting fleeced and don't even knowit!cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

How much do you pay this Taxi friend of yours? Let me guess, 500 baht?

By eliminating the risk of being scammed by the regular taxies, you are being scammed every single time. Words fails me.

• Like 1

Never had any problems at the airport. But to the airport, my oh my! Don't let your hotel take care of the taxi everyt time he refused to put the meter on! Once, I was then with my wife, I urgently asked him to turn it on, he stopped threw our luggage out, and left us on the busy street!

Edited by indieke

expatj

Not ever body is a frequent traveler by air plane.

I know my first time flying alone to an international destination (Bangkok) I might have gotten scammed because I was not experienced and at the time it was Don Mueang. I was fortunate that a friend was here to meet me. I knew nothing. When they asked me where I was staying it surprised me. So she gave me a list to choose from then my visa.

Try to give the new travelers a break it is easy for the well traveled to know what to look out for.

Also you will read in some of the later posts that even being super intelligent and knowing all the in's and out's in the airport you still have to know the roads to take to get to your destination or you might get scammed any how.

• Like 2

Taxi is not a problems is using meter but beware of tuk-tuk waiting in front hotel or shopping malls, Most scammed bring you jewelry shops and over charge.

That is a completely different thing and never happens here in Chiang Mai. It has nothing to do with airports.

You want a tuck tuck here in Chiang Mai walk off the airport to the main street. Even then he will ask you where you are going. He can tell by the luggage that you are not looking for a tour.

There are group of people, consist of men and women meeting people who arrived and offer taxi at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

They tell you the amount you pay until your place.

they charge more than double if you don't know how much it really costs you until where you go.

Edited by DGIE

For fares over a certain mileage, the official taxis will not turn on the meter. e.g. a fare to Chachoengsao. This is the official policy. So the official price is about double what it should be. So you have been officially scammed, OP.

I deal with taxi scams and Thai scams in general by never stepping foot inside the country any more. to worked perfectly now for over a year.

If I need a ride to a large Asian city for some low rent boom boom, then I go to KL, HK or Osaka.

Well, definitely, people who come for the first time and don't know about the country can get screwed by taxis at the airport. I can't count the number of times that I have been approached by taxis, speaking English and then I keep walking and tell them in Thai where I am going. Those guys almost immediately leave and find someone else and I have heard them say "Where you go? Oh, Sathron? 1000 baht...cheap price for go Sathorn." Whatever, I imagine the person is here with family on vacation and 1000 baht sounds reasonable for transport from the airport. It would be in most cities in Europe and the US, more or less. Once you are here a while and know the place, though, you should have the skills to filter those guys out.

A first-timer could easily get caught by the AOT limo counter in the baggage hall, and then 1000 baht would be a real bargain,  If you don't know what is outside the doors

Or someone who is not a first timer could just pay what AOT limo charges, receive what is paid for, and have no problems?

A snip at 3000 baht biggrin.png

• 2 weeks later...

I deal with taxi scams and Thai scams in general by never stepping foot inside the country any more. to worked perfectly now for over a year.

If I need a ride to a large Asian city for some low rent boom boom, then I go to KL, HK or Osaka.

I am resisting the temptation to declare you naïve.

Twice a year to LOS and never scammed. I might have been ripped off, inadvertently, for 50p now and again but not losing any sleep over it.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Thai taxi drivers scamming you for a few hundred baht.

It's the Thai women who scam millions that are more of a threat.

As the say about western men...they leave their brains back home because there is another organ calling the shots.

expatj

I know my first time flying alone to an international destination (Bangkok) I might have gotten scammed because I was not experienced and at the time it was Don Mueang. I was fortunate that a friend was here to meet me. I knew nothing. When they asked me where I was staying it surprised me. So she gave me a list to choose from then my visa.

Try to give the new travelers a break it is easy for the well traveled to know what to look out for.

Also you will read in some of the later posts that even being super intelligent and knowing all the in's and out's in the airport you still have to know the roads to take to get to your destination or you might get scammed any how.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

expatj

Fair point.