Teaching subject courses (non ESL) at a English Speaking Universities

timtscott

Hi. I plan to move to Chiang Mai in 2016. I plan to retire there eventually but would like to teach a year or two to build up my savings a bit prior to full retirement.

Although I am open to teaching English, I was wondering if there are opportunities to teach other academic fields. I have pension income so I don't need to make a great deal of money.

My background is as follows; American citizen, male, 55 (when I get there) white. Native speaker.

Law degree- Juris Doctorate no desire to teach law

Masters of Human Resources and Labor Relations. - open to teaching in this area

Masters of Public Administration - open to teaching in this area

Masters of Social Work - open to teaching in this area

Bachelors of Social Work

25 years experience in HR management, Workforce and Career Development & Training

I have also taught a couple of years as an adjunct for a local community college, mostly general academic courses

I have been doing some volunteer ESL teaching

I don't speak Thai

I guess I am wondering if there are English Speaking universities in Chiang Mai (not completely opposed to BKK) where I could land at least a part time teaching gig with my background.

Again. this is just a preference. I am willing to get a TELF cert and most likely would do so anyway, but would prefer teaching other subject matter if possible.

Also, I have a great deal of experience in career development. I have managed a career center here in the states for years. Would there be any similar opportunities at universities in Thailand?

Would really appreciate your thoughts. Thank you !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by timtscott

My experience is that certainly opportunities arise, but you need to weigh the long hours, difficult conditions and poor salary (30000 pm) against the pleasures of living freely. If money is no problem, you would be better to pursue leisure, except if you are motivated by altruism.

good luck.

In Chiang Mai your options would be limited. Some departments might want to take you since you have the Phd. Masters in subject matter isn't really impressive though. I know CMU has a few departments that offer subjects in English but you really would be working for a living. A few years teaching won't help you save anything. You will earn enough to live, but your pension should do that already. You might as well keep working in the field you are in which will most likely give you more than 1k dollars a month. I really don't see teaching as a practical thing if you have ways to generate real income.

Best thing to do is get established and build contacts. Bring your original degrees, transcripts, and proof of employment. Some schools are doing serious back ground checks especially for those claiming to have Phd. A few teachers were run off at CMU for falsified documents. One person I actually thought his degrees were real. He seemed to possess the knowledge but there was no record of him at his university.

Good luck.

CMU, Payap, Far Eastern, all will take you, you might not get courses you like or a salary that would be worth it, but at least it will give you something to do.

Thank you all! I appreciate your kind words, but I feel I made the mistake of over investing in formal education. Thanks for the advice I will definitely bring transcripts. I attended state schools.

I realize I won't save a lot from teaching, but I enjoy it and I was hoping it will also give a little structure to my day. I guess I am looking at it also as a way to transition into retirement.

My law degree is a professional doctorate so I don't think it carries the same luster as a PhD, especially in academic circles. I am ok with a typical 30,000 B salary as long as The hours aren't too bad. Also was hoping for a bit of variety in terms of subject matter .

I will indeed check into the schools you mention.

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by timtscott

Opportunities abound with your credentials and new ones pop up every semester. Just get some letters of recommendation/employment fro previous teaching jobs and make good quality copies of your diplomas to bring with you. Chiang Mai area is full of english teachers, so look to other subjects. As far a Law goes, most of the universities only offer this in Thai (Bangkok has some exceptions, but I am not sure of CM.)Any program titled "International" will be in english. Come and give it a try and enjoy CM.

• Like 1