How long does a Fortuner last?

kurnell

I have a 2005 Fortuner with 140,000km on the clock which has been very reliable and costs approx 15k a year in service and parts. How long can this be expected to last before I start running into costly service eg. new gearbox or engine?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Anybody got a Fortuner with 300,000km on the clock?

I recently sold a 1996 Toyota 2.5L that had >260K km on the clock and it still drives nicely. It looked practically new with it's 3 year old re-spray paint job!

To the OP:

Does your Fortuner have a petrol or diesel engine? A diesel should last longer, though either way, I would say you're at or approaching the half-way point.

To 'extend' your engine's, transmission's and mechanical components life, at this point I would at least do the following:

1) (As TransAm suggests, replace the timing belt) AND install new water pump.

2) Change radiator coolant.

3) Change and replace the transmission fluid and filter.

4) Change your rear axle (and/or transfer case) oil. Lubricate any front end components.

5) Change oil and filter regularly.

6) Change air filter.

Doing all of the above should easily give you another 150K km of worry-free driving.

• Like 2

Splendid, and good advise. The car has had a service at the Toyota service centre every 10,000km so most of the above should have been done, or if not should be in the service manual. Cheers. I'll keep it for another 10 years. Any way to soften the bumpy ride?

Splendid, and good advise. The car has had a service at the Toyota service centre every 10,000km so most of the above should have been done, or if not should be in the service manual. Cheers. I'll keep it for another 10 years. Any way to soften the bumpy ride?

Soften the ride ??? Start with the non technical stuff .. Check Tire pressures ! Amazing how many people drive around and have no clue how much air they have in their Tires ... more Technical.. Check Shocks and spings .... Driving on beaches will help also biggrin.png ENJOY !!

• Like 1

Yes, most of the above should have been done 'then, at that time', but good car maintenance (and fluid changes) have to be performed continually on a regular basis.

Along with the water pump, I forgot to add the critical (2) radiator hoses and all drive belt replacements.

To 'soften the bumpy ride', you have to upgrade to a nice riding set of tires and change to quality gas shock absorbers.

Yes, most of the above should have been done 'then, at that time', but good car maintenance (and fluid changes) have to be performed continually on a regular basis.

Along with the water pump, I forgot to add the critical (2) radiator hoses and all drive belt replacements.

To 'soften the bumpy ride', you have to upgrade to a nice riding set of tires and change to quality gas shock absorbers.

Upgrading, as you put it, to "a nice riding set of tyres" (whatever they are) will be very difficult not to mention expensive. What's he going to do, ask a tyre retailer if he can try different types of tyre until he finds the set he likes?

Model specific "quality gas shock absorbers" are not going to soften any standard vehicle's ride, the ride is probably something to do with the fact that the vehicle is an SUV.

Blocking the outside lane of the motorway ? A longggggggggg time.

Tail gating in your rear view mirror when you put your foot down ? Not very long at all.

Parked across two parking spaces ? Usually a good few hours before it's owners return from the shopping mall empty handed. whistling.gif

Blocking the outside lane of the motorway ? A longggggggggg time.

Tail gating in your rear view mirror when you put your foot down ? Not very long at all.

Parked across two parking spaces ? Usually a good few hours before it's owners return from the shopping mall empty handed. whistling.gif

Double parked with the parking brake on, a few hours.

• Like 1

I heard somebody announcing in another thread that cars are designed to last about 8000 hours.. whistling.gif

On a serious note, if you change the oils more frequent than specified your ride could go on for ever, providing the electronics stay good and the injectors have a cleaning aid in the fuel. Shell V-Power fuel has this aid.

The key here is regular servicing and maintenance, as others have pointed out...often people in this country can afford the car but don;t want to pay for servicing and parts....those are the vehicles that don't last so long....and of course driving it sensibly and not always thrashing the guts out of it. I've heard of diesels still running strong at 500K kms, my honda civic shows no engine / auto box problems at 220K kms. 140K kms is nothing for a well maintained diesel.

• Like 1

I heard somebody announcing in another thread that cars are designed to last about 8000 hours.. whistling.gif

On a serious note, if you change the oils more frequent than specified your ride could go on for ever, providing the electronics stay good and the injectors have a cleaning aid in the fuel. Shell V-Power fuel has this aid.

Many years ago I heard that the on-board computer did have something to do with that. sad.png

when take my car for service at the official dealer, they always ask me what needs to be done? i just answer ckeck everything and replace what is neede. dont they have a ckecklist for every 10k km? like the time belt, will they chqnge that too or will i have to tell them ? will have 100k soon

Sent from my Lenovo A390_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

when take my car for service at the official dealer, they always ask me what needs to be done? i just answer ckeck everything and replace what is neede. dont they have a ckecklist for every 10k km? like the time belt, will they chqnge that too or will i have to tell them ? will have 100k soon

Sent from my Lenovo A390_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There is a specified service plan in your service book, if they don't follow that

or need to ask you what needs to be done, then i would take it elsewhere.

I've noticed that some official dealers can be as incompetent as a back street

garage over here in Thailand.

You could also cross reference the service schedule in your service book with the

payment invoice parts listing, to check for yourself if they are maintaining your car

correctly.

The diesel engine, the 3 litre slightly more as the 2.5 litre, combined with a manual transmission has been known for working, if well mantained for half a million kilometres.

The 3-litre diesel; combined with the auto transmission likewise, if the transmission stays fit for duty.

Change all fluids every 100,000 km, all over the car, the engine oil every 10,000 km, if diesel.

If the engine is the 2,7 petrol, expect at least 300,000 carefree kilometers, if on LPG more.

Good engine, the diesel.

Kurnell, has yours developed that annoying knocking sound?

No,but it has a whirring sounds for the first 2-3 km

Until you get more specific about the whirring sounds, it could (and you should hope that it is) easily be bad drive belts or water pump (propeller) that is going and needs to be replaced - ASAP.

Kurnell, has yours developed that annoying knocking sound?

No,but it has a whirring sounds for the first 2-3 km

On start up pour a little water on the fan (poly-V) belt. Keep your fingers clear whistling.gif , if noise goes, replace the belt. smile.png

The diesel engine, the 3 litre slightly more as the 2.5 litre, combined with a manual transmission has been known for working, if well mantained for half a million kilometres.

The 3-litre diesel; combined with the auto transmission likewise, if the transmission stays fit for duty.

Change all fluids every 100,000 km, all over the car, the engine oil every 10,000 km, if diesel.

If the engine is the 2,7 petrol, expect at least 300,000 carefree kilometers, if on LPG more.

Good engine, the diesel.

Not 100k for fluid change it's 40k gearbox axle etc for auto.

Our turbo broke at 150,000 kms. Had to be replaced for an original Toyota part at the dealer at 60k baht. We tried a second hand solution but that was a waste of money as it didn't work.

Other than that, car has been great for 7 years. Knock on wood.

Our turbo broke at 150,000 kms. Had to be replaced for an original Toyota part at the dealer at 60k baht. We tried a second hand solution but that was a waste of money as it didn't work.

Other than that, car has been great for 7 years. Knock on wood.

When your turbo broke, what symptoms did you experience?

2004 D-Max 3.0 so far done 390,000KM. Switched to Shell helix ultra oil at the 100,000K service. Changed every 15,000 to 20,000k since then. Use Shell V power 75% of the time.

I blanked off the EGR valves as well which I am certain prolongs engine life. Also removed the DPF filter.

My point is, if you look after it and carry out basic maintenance at roughly the allotted time / km it should go on for I hope at least half a million kms.

Edited by Pomthai