Pain Killers - Here we go again!

smileplur

The clinic mentioned has a web presence and claims to provide psychiatric care/treatment to addicts.

It does not appear to offer care or treatment to those with chronic pain management needs.

The clinic pic says "Methadone-Pain Killer" so it appears to offer treatment to those with pain issues and Methadone is not used for acute pain but for chronic pain.

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I'm not having much luck finding out more info than what I have posted.

I do know for a fact that an acquaintance spent 20 months going to that same pain clinic, returned to the US, then went back to Chiang Mai and I have lost contact with him.

Again, this is an issue that many of us will be facing as we get older whether from injury, disease, cancer, etc...so I would think that this question has been asked quite a bit. OTOH, some people do not understand what it's like to have to live with chronic pain and to take this med after other avenues have been exhausted and it is also inexpensive.

Most Pharmacists are compassionate, but I still run into the occasional wannabe cop/doc that eyes me like I'm some type of heroin addict when I fill my pain med script. This is also why I rarely tell anyone what I am prescribed for chronic pain as their ignorance and biases leads them to think the worst.

For chronic pain, Tramadol is worthless for anything then moderate, acute pain. Tolerance builds rapidly and that's when you are at risk for having a seizure as one must take a large number of Tramadol tablets for a hint of pain relief.

Bupenorphine may work for opiate naive patients, but not for long. It's also expensive, although there is now a generic on the market, but it is still expensive.

Medi-care pays for my meds and Dr. visits now, but when I was paying out of pocket, the Pain Doctor I was seeing charged me very little and the Methadone itself is dirt cheap, about $30 USD a month in the US

Again, if anyone can provide any useful info, feel free to post it.

I'm sure I'm not the first, nor will I be the last to investigate pain relief options in the LOS

Thanks again for your patience.

You resurrect this this yet again. Whilst we all have sympathy with your problem what you are seeking will be virtually impossible to obtain in Thailand.

You do not have to believe any advise give here you are welcome to come to Thailand and attempt to secure your "needs"

I wish you well

Or I can ask questions on a forum instead of spending a small fortune to travel to Thailand to find out.

I'm disabled and on SSDI. I don't have 3k USD to spend to find out specifics for a simple question.

That's money I'm saving for retirement/relocating.

Do Cancer patients in Thailand just suffer? Are they given Tylenol and sent home to die?

What about someone in a car accident that needs to take pain meds to ease their suffering?

And why the quotation marks around the word "needs"? Are you insinuating something? If so, then say what's on your mind.

IDK what your issue is, but if you can't post anything other than negativity and saying "what you are seeking is virtually impossible" when photographic evidence says otherwise, as well as anecdotal evidence, then why do you bother to litter this thread with false, useless info?

I hope you never find yourself in a similar position and have to deal with replies like yours.

Instead of writing such posts, why don't you educate yourself on chronic pain and treatment options instead of appearing judgmental?

Because it's certainly the impression you give.

Edited by PHP87

It is very difficult to obtain adequate analgesia here. Even after surgery or a major accident, even for cancer patients, and most definitely and especially for people with chronic pain and anyone in an outpatient setting.

I have heard from many people with chronic pain in Thailand over the years I have moderated this forum and every single one of them found it difficult to get what they needed.

Thailand is more than 50 years behind the times on this issue and doctors have a real phobia of prescribing controlled drugs. Which by the way, by law can only be obtained in a hospital pharmacy. It's not like in the west where you can bring a script to a pharmacy.

It is really not a good choice of retirement place for someone with chronic pain, to be blunt.

Methadone is no longer manufactured in Thailand (used to be made by the Govt Pharm. Org -- now stopped). There are no imported brands registered for use. In other words, methadone is no longer legally available. I have no idea about the clinic you reference but if it is still open I doubt it will be for long. In the past, there was a locally made brand of methadone, but no longer now.

I attach a powerpoint presentation made by several Thai physicians at an international conference on pain management. Note especially slide 2. We are not making this up: Thailand does very, very poorly when it comes to pain relief. The attitudes here within the medical profession with regard to pain relief are virtually prehistoric.

Present2.ppt

• Like 1

Found the info I was looking for on an Expat forum in minutes and was even put in touch with an Expat in Chiang Mai with similar issues who I spoke with on Skype and was very helpful and more than happy to do so.

He will also see if the Panu Clinic is still operating and find out the specifics.

This forum seems to be filled with misinformation or just a plain lack of knowledge.

Not to mention, not very helpful.

I wonder how many members here actually reside in the LOS?

The people who have been attempting to advise you all live in Thailand and have had experience dealing with this issue here.

Don't shoot the messengers. If you insist on moving here you will find out what we have been saying.

Found the info I was looking for on an Expat forum in minutes and was even put in touch with an Expat in Chiang Mai with similar issues who I spoke with on Skype and was very helpful and more than happy to do so.

He will also see if the Panu Clinic is still operating and find out the specifics.

This forum seems to be filled with misinformation or just a plain lack of knowledge.

Not to mention, not very helpful.

I wonder how many members here actually reside in the LOS?

So pleased you have found the answer to your problem.

There is no misinformation provided here as you will discover when you come to Thailand.

By the way ...........................accessing narcotic drugs by illegal means in Thailand is a very serious offense.

Looked again at Dr Panu's information.

PANU MD Clinic

3/1 Tapae Road soi 5 Muang Chiangmai, Mueang Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai, 50100

Tel: 0839 481 755

From the owner:-

We are the clinic of Chiangmai Methadone center since 2004. We provide special services for Addiction and sleep problems treatment without doctor's charge

Our services
- Methadone detoxification therapy
- Sleep problems
- Mental illness
- Depression and anxiety
- Drug addiction
- Sexual dysfunction

It clearly states Methadone detoxification not that methadone is administered and my guess would be that this would be done by prescribing non narcotic meds, sleeping aids and possibly counselling. Can't see that he would Rx Methadone if it's illegal.

He might however, be licenced to prescribe Methadone in certain circumstances for heroin addicts as a first step to weaning them off, but I can't see him prescribing methadone for pain, if in fact he can prescribe it at all.

I guess if anyone's interested there's only one real way to find out, as information is unlikely to be given out over the phone.

If anyone is really suffering why not pop along, what is there to lose?

You should take Sheryl's advice.

Tramadol is very effective, available over the counter, abound 40bht for 10 tablets, take as few as you can per day as they are addictive.

Side effect, marital relations will become disappointing.

Morphine should be avoided, if you keep taking it you will be sorry.

Tramadol will help you mentally deal with the pain, but I have to disagree that it decreases pain to any degree. It also contains Selective Seratonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRI). Tramadol can also cause grand mal seizures in some people even at recommended dogages. And withdrawal is no laughting matter. I would highly suggest other options (even though the options are limited). Best of luck!

Edited by connda

It is very difficult to obtain adequate analgesia here. Even after surgery or a major accident, even for cancer patients, and most definitely and especially for people with chronic pain and anyone in an outpatient setting.

I have heard from many people with chronic pain in Thailand over the years I have moderated this forum and every single one of them found it difficult to get what they needed.

Thailand is more than 50 years behind the times on this issue and doctors have a real phobia of prescribing controlled drugs. Which by the way, by law can only be obtained in a hospital pharmacy. It's not like in the west where you can bring a script to a pharmacy.

It is really not a good choice of retirement place for someone with chronic pain, to be blunt.

Methadone is no longer manufactured in Thailand (used to be made by the Govt Pharm. Org -- now stopped). There are no imported brands registered for use. In other words, methadone is no longer legally available. I have no idea about the clinic you reference but if it is still open I doubt it will be for long. In the past, there was a locally made brand of methadone, but no longer now.

I attach a powerpoint presentation made by several Thai physicians at an international conference on pain management. Note especially slide 2. We are not making this up: Thailand does very, very poorly when it comes to pain relief. The attitudes here within the medical profession with regard to pain relief are virtually prehistoric.

attachicon.gifPresent2.ppt

Sherly,

You're definitly very knowlegable in this area and I personally appreciate your advice. Have you by any chance, looked into affordable pain relief in other countries in the ASEAN region? Could an individual in chronic pain find more help in say Laos or Cambodia (or any other country in East and West Asia)?

Thanks!

Anyone with serious pain issues knows that Tramadol is about as effective as baby aspirin and can cause seizures due to Seratonin Syndrome.

Not only is Tramadol worthless for severe pain, it will seriously mess you up.

Like I said, Google "Tramadol Seratonin Syndrome"

You're rolling the dice every time you take it.

BTW, the Panu Clinic is open and dispensing for addiction issues and for pain issues, so whoever said that Methadone is NLA in Thailand is incorrect.

I've also been in touch with a chronic pain patient/Expat in Chiang Mai thru a mutual friend that has been very helpful.

Like I said, I've talked to several people that have actually been there. It seems many people here are just going by hearsay or incorrect information.

attachicon.gifPresent2.ppt

Sherly,

You're definitly very knowlegable in this area and I personally appreciate your advice. Have you by any chance, looked into affordable pain relief in other countries in the ASEAN region? Could an individual in chronic pain find more help in say Laos or Cambodia (or any other country in East and West Asia)?

Thanks!

The only other country in the region I am knowledgable about is Cambodia.

It's not much better there except that you can get codeine / codeine + paracetemol OTC. Beyond that, very difficult. I have several times assisted relatives of friends who were dying of cancer and it was very, very hard.

Anyone with serious pain issues knows that Tramadol is about as effective as baby aspirin and can cause seizures due to Seratonin Syndrome.

BTW, the Panu Clinic is open and dispensing for addiction issues and for pain issues, so whoever said that Methadone is NLA in Thailand is incorrect.

I've also been in touch with a chronic pain patient/Expat in Chiang Mai thru a mutual friend that has been very helpful.

Like I said, I've talked to several people that have actually been there. It seems many people here are just going by hearsay or incorrect information.

A number of private methadone clinics have recently been shit down by the govt.

And, as said before, the only registered brand of methadone in Thailand is that made by GPO which no longer markets it. Possibly they still supply to government hospitals and it is just no longer commercially marketed, not sure on that point. Of course, clinics may still have stock, but what they will do when that is depleted is another matter.

Up to you what you decide to do but if you come here only to have the lcinic you were counting upon closed down, it won't be because you weren't warned.

A number of private methadone clinics have recently been shit down by the govt.

And, as said before, the only registered brand of methadone in Thailand is that made by GPO which no longer markets it. Possibly they still supply to government hospitals and it is just no longer commercially marketed, not sure on that point. Of course, clinics may still have stock, but what they will do when that is depleted is another matter.

Up to you what you decide to do but if you come here only to have the lcinic you were counting upon closed down, it won't be because you weren't warned.

About 2 or 3 years back, Padu Clinic closed down for a extended period of time. I'm not sure what the issues were at the time. So I do have to agree. Just because the clinic is open now doesn't mean it's going to be open in the future.

In this Buddhist country, I can't even fathom the complete lack of compassion on the part of the government and medical coummunity. These are some pretty sick, twisted, sadistic people who are limiting access to pallative care, and currently seem to be making it even more restrictive. I guarentee that the rich, the connected, the politicians, and the doctors themselves either have access for themselves and their family members, or have the funds to seek medical care in Western countries.

• Like 1

OK, I just received an email from my friend/acquaintance "Max" (not his real name)

I'll post his email verbatim minus personal info. He just returned from Chiang Mai for Christmas and is heading back after New Year's:

Re: Methadone Clinics in Chiang Mai

You go and talk to a very nice young doctor, who nods sympathetically and then asks you if you have pain or addiction issues and what dosage you need. You tell him whatever within reason. I'd say 200mgs daily would be the upper limit, although there is no policy that I know of and I’m no where near that. He then asks you how many takeaways you'd like, a week? Two weeks? He'll do three weeks at a time and even month if you have medical issues with basic documentation or if you need to travel. It's mostly done on the honor system. You are respected and your word is accepted until you do something stupid and offensive to contradict that. Unlike in the US where pain patients are treated like dishonest drug addicts.

The cost is 200 baht for the visit and 2 baht per mgs. It's roughly 30 baht to the US dollar. That's at the govt approved clinic. There is nothing sleazy about it. The staff is very courteous and sympathetic and actually treats you as if you have an illness, not like some desperate criminal. I was in shock the first time. I was treated like a human being.

They offer you a glass of cold water and sometimes tea if there's some on. There is a Thai massage place immediately next door and if there's a wait of more than ten minutes they suggest you have a massage; head, neck feet, hands, or the full on body deal. (No, not like that. A real massage). Cost for full massage is about 120 baht. Just head, neck, hands or feet, 30 baht. The methadone comes in little bottles with your name and dosage in both English and Thai. They mix it with a peppermint flavored liquid that's supposed to include some herbs to help with nausea. If you want to taper, they'll help set up a chart. If you want to stay on indefinitely, no problem.

Then there's the Panu clinic. Also very well run, clean, efficient, helpful and polite staff and know what they're doing. The private clinics always insist on taking your blood pressure every time you go. They need to actually perform some sort of medical diagnosis each time you visit to retain their license and blood pressure is the cheapest and fastest.

The Panu clinic is the main private clinic in Chiang Mai and is a cheerful little place with a cafe next door and stone benches out front to hang out and gab with other patrons. It's a bit more expensive at private clinics, 4 baht per mg, or about 13 cents. The visit itself is no charge so it kind of evens out. There is even a guest house nearby, so you can stay there when you land in CM and stay there while looking for an inecpensive apartment which there are a plenty.

The two doctors are both pleasant and speak English well, the younger one having trained in the US. They aren't stupid of course and will chide those on a high dose about coming down, offering various options. But nobody's forced to do anything. Nobody will ever bother you.

I met a ton of “farangs” who had given up on the West and were living in SE Asia.

The Panu clinic is open from 6 to 8pm but if you miss it there are several alternatives at various hours. They seem to be sidelines of doctors who work at one of the big hospitals in town. There's a major teaching hospital in the city's hospital row and medical treatment is first rate. A lot of foreigners go to Thailand on 'medical holidays' to get surgery etc because it is very cheap and very good quality of service.

Ironic that a country with some of the worlds strictest drug laws is also one of the most compassionate in treating those with pain and with addiction problems.

I’m going back to Chiang Mai next week – I only came back to the US for Christmas and family bs and am returning to Chiang Mai after New Year’s.

Stay in touch and I hope to see you in CM some day.

Take care,

“Max”

(Name changed, but most of the email is verbatim except for some personal info)

Edited by PHP87

OK, I just received an email from my friend/acquaintance "Max" (not his real name)

I'll post his email verbatim minus personal info. He just returned from Chiang Mai for Christmas and is heading back after New Year's:

Re: Methadone Clinics in Chiang Mai

You go and talk to a very nice young doctor, who nods sympathetically and then asks you if you have pain or addiction issues and what dosage you need. You tell him whatever within reason. I'd say 200mgs daily would be the upper limit, although there is no policy that I know of and I’m no where near that. He then asks you how many takeaways you'd like, a week? Two weeks? He'll do three weeks at a time and even month if you have medical issues with basic documentation or if you need to travel. It's mostly done on the honor system. You are respected and your word is accepted until you do something stupid and offensive to contradict that. Unlike in the US where pain patients are treated like dishonest drug addicts.

The cost is 200 baht for the visit and 2 baht per mgs. It's roughly 30 baht to the US dollar. That's at the govt approved clinic. There is nothing sleazy about it. The staff is very courteous and sympathetic and actually treats you as if you have an illness, not like some desperate criminal. I was in shock the first time. I was treated like a human being.

They offer you a glass of cold water and sometimes tea if there's some on. There is a Thai massage place immediately next door and if there's a wait of more than ten minutes they suggest you have a massage; head, neck feet, hands, or the full on body deal. (No, not like that. A real massage). Cost for full massage is about 120 baht. Just head, neck, hands or feet, 30 baht. The methadone comes in little bottles with your name and dosage in both English and Thai. They mix it with a peppermint flavored liquid that's supposed to include some herbs to help with nausea. If you want to taper, they'll help set up a chart. If you want to stay on indefinitely, no problem.

Then there's the Panu clinic. Also very well run, clean, efficient, helpful and polite staff and know what they're doing. The private clinics always insist on taking your blood pressure every time you go. They need to actually perform some sort of medical diagnosis each time you visit to retain their license and blood pressure is the cheapest and fastest.

The Panu clinic is the main private clinic in Chiang Mai and is a cheerful little place with a cafe next door and stone benches out front to hang out and gab with other patrons. It's a bit more expensive at private clinics, 4 baht per mg, or about 13 cents. The visit itself is no charge so it kind of evens out. There is even a guest house nearby, so you can stay there when you land in CM and stay there while looking for an inecpensive apartment which there are a plenty.

The two doctors are both pleasant and speak English well, the younger one having trained in the US. They aren't stupid of course and will chide those on a high dose about coming down, offering various options. But nobody's forced to do anything. Nobody will ever bother you.

I met a ton of “farangs” who had given up on the West and were living in SE Asia.

The Panu clinic is open from 6 to 8pm but if you miss it there are several alternatives at various hours. They seem to be sidelines of doctors who work at one of the big hospitals in town. There's a major teaching hospital in the city's hospital row and medical treatment is first rate. A lot of foreigners go to Thailand on 'medical holidays' to get surgery etc because it is very cheap and very good quality of service.

Ironic that a country with some of the worlds strictest drug laws is also one of the most compassionate in treating those with pain and with addiction problems.

I’m going back to Chiang Mai next week – I only came back to the US for Christmas and family bs and am returning to Chiang Mai after New Year’s.

Stay in touch and I hope to see you in CM some day.

Take care,

“Max”

(Name changed, but most of the email is verbatim except for some personal info)

Nice little fairy tale .

But then what would I know.

Please let us know all about how you succeed in obtaining, legally , narcotic medication , on an outpatient no questions asked basis once your actually here in Thailand.

Edited by Sceptict11

I'll walk down to Padu clinic next week and ask the doctor if he envisions any future issues with distributing methadone and get his take on the shutdown of GPO's manufacturing. However, do understand that the clinic prescribes numerous medications other than just methadone.

I'll walk down to Padu clinic next week and ask the doctor if he envisions any future issues with distributing methadone and get his take on the shutdown of GPO's manufacturing. However, do understand that the clinic prescribes numerous medications other than just methadone.

Such as ------- Which particular Narcotic medication ----------- on an out - patient basis , on demand , and at a dosage said to be required by the "patient" ?

And in weekly , two weekly or monthly amounts ?

Please let us know all the details I am sure many people will have interest.

I started this thread quite some time ago about my personal situation regarding my leg issues. It has evolved into something else entirely now. I am glad that it is providing an avenue for people to discuss different options regarding pain management options available to them in Thailand. It certainly does seem to be problematic based on the information discussed here.

I thought I would update my own situation. I simply went back to my doctor who I saw regularly for follow-up appointments after my surgery. I asked him to provide me with the codeine I was buying from the pharmacy, as I was unable to do so anymore. He asked a lot of questions about the nature of my work, my commute, and the general questions you would associate with a request for an opiate pain-killer. I answered them. I was sent home with a month long supply of codeine. I can go back and get them anytime. He advised me that I should go back to the hospital to get them from now own if I could not get them on my own. My work schedule has been pretty light with the protests in Bangkok. I haven't had much need for pain management medication, as I haven't spent nearly as much time on my feet as I usually do. I also haven't spent any significant time driving, as my employer has been cautious regarding the political situation.

At the end of the day, work still has to get done. So, my schedule for the next two months is going to be pretty chaotic to make-up for the missed work over the last month or so. Nonetheless, I haven't got any concerns or need to 'switch' medications. My original medication is working for me when I require it.

I would like to point out that by posting here I did do a lot of research regarding the legality of buying my own 'narcotic' medication 'under the counter' at pharmacies. I had no idea the penalties for a simple pain reliever like 'codeine' could be so extreme. I am very thankful that you guys have alerted me to that fact. While I was aware of harsh penalties for 'drugs' in Thailand and many other countries in the region, I certainly didn't think that 'codeine' could or would be classified in any way as a 'hardcore drug'. I consider myself fortunate that I never encountered any difficulties with the law when dealing with these so-called 'drugs'. In fact, I can recall buying them in the pharmacy with a police officer present. I really didn't think anything of it at all. After reading some of the warnings written by other members here, and after doing a lot of independent research, I would strongly advise against anybody doing what I was doing!!!

By all means, ensure you get your 'narcotic
' pain medication from an authorized source (hospital). This is Thailand, and penalties can be severe or expensive. Make sure you are aware of the repercussions associated with 'narcotic' usage here.

For other people who are suffering from chronic pain of some form, I wish you all the best. Dealing with pain isn't a fun experience. I know there are others out there who have far more extreme pain than mine. I hope you find the relief you need. I hope this thread has been able to help others who read it the same way that reading so many other threads about a variety of other topics has helped me in finding my way here in Thailand. Thanks to those members who offered their time, advice, and support.

• Like 1

I started this thread quite some time ago about my personal situation regarding my leg issues. It has evolved into something else entirely now. I am glad that it is providing an avenue for people to discuss different options regarding pain management options available to them in Thailand. It certainly does seem to be problematic based on the information discussed here.

I thought I would update my own situation. I simply went back to my doctor who I saw regularly for follow-up appointments after my surgery. I asked him to provide me with the codeine I was buying from the pharmacy, as I was unable to do so anymore. He asked a lot of questions about the nature of my work, my commute, and the general questions you would associate with a request for an opiate pain-killer. I answered them. I was sent home with a month long supply of codeine. I can go back and get them anytime. He advised me that I should go back to the hospital to get them from now own if I could not get them on my own. My work schedule has been pretty light with the protests in Bangkok. I haven't had much need for pain management medication, as I haven't spent nearly as much time on my feet as I usually do. I also haven't spent any significant time driving, as my employer has been cautious regarding the political situation.

At the end of the day, work still has to get done. So, my schedule for the next two months is going to be pretty chaotic to make-up for the missed work over the last month or so. Nonetheless, I haven't got any concerns or need to 'switch' medications. My original medication is working for me when I require it.

I would like to point out that by posting here I did do a lot of research regarding the legality of buying my own 'narcotic' medication 'under the counter' at pharmacies. I had no idea the penalties for a simple pain reliever like 'codeine' could be so extreme. I am very thankful that you guys have alerted me to that fact. While I was aware of harsh penalties for 'drugs' in Thailand and many other countries in the region, I certainly didn't think that 'codeine' could or would be classified in any way as a 'hardcore drug'. I consider myself fortunate that I never encountered any difficulties with the law when dealing with these so-called 'drugs'. In fact, I can recall buying them in the pharmacy with a police officer present. I really didn't think anything of it at all. After reading some of the warnings written by other members here, and after doing a lot of independent research, I would strongly advise against anybody doing what I was doing!!!

By all means, ensure you get your 'narcotic' pain medication from an authorized source (hospital). This is Thailand, and penalties can be severe or expensive. Make sure you are aware of the repercussions associated with 'narcotic' usage here.

For other people who are suffering from chronic pain of some form, I wish you all the best. Dealing with pain isn't a fun experience. I know there are others out there who have far more extreme pain than mine. I hope you find the relief you need. I hope this thread has been able to help others who read it the same way that reading so many other threads about a variety of other topics has helped me in finding my way here in Thailand. Thanks to those members who offered their time, advice, and support.

Thanks for the update.

For information I also suffer chronic pain resulting from a brachial plexus injury.

My pain is managed with Gabapentin and the very occasional use of Tramadol.

Those with chronic pain which is "managed" with the use of Narcotics taken on a daily basis are best advised to seek their medication anywhere other than Asia.

Edited by Sceptict11

I had a similar accident to yours but not quite as bad. I only needed the metal rod and screws. The pain I have was from swelling that I still get after standing for long periods of time. I started using Celebrex which really helps me. If you have the same symptoms you might want to try it. It's available in most of the big pharmacies here

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I had a similar accident to yours but not quite as bad. I only needed the metal rod and screws. The pain I have was from swelling that I still get after standing for long periods of time. I started using Celebrex which really helps me. If you have the same symptoms you might want to try it. It's available in most of the big pharmacies here Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks for your concern and I am pleased that Celebrex assists you.

Be aware that long term usage of that medication is associated with very significant " side effects".

My pain is adequately controlled with my non - narcotic and non Cox-2 medication.

Long may that continue !

Edited by Sceptict11