Thailand to attract 5m high-calibre Chinese

webfact

How about some facts: Approximately 25% of China's population is considered "middle class" by western standards. That translates to about 325 million people from China who have the means to travel and spend money. Anyone who has been to China and Thailand knows that Thailand is a preferable destination. And the Chinese know this too.

By comparison, the ENTIRE population of the US is about 320 million...so the middle class of China is about equal to the ENTIRE population of the US...as a Yank, I can tell you that about half the US population is living off government (read taxpayer funded) "entitlements"...The EU is not much better off than the US, and in some southern EU countries, it is awful...traditional western tourists to Thailand are on the decline and Chinese tourists are on the rise.

Face the facts; the portion of the Chinese population that can afford travel to Thailand and spend a decent sum of money are CHINESE...NOT Americans and Europeans. Aussies and Canucks are in better shape but cannot match the sheer large numbers of Chinese.

I was just recently in the LOS and the number of western farang has dropped a noticeable amount from years past, replaced by more and more Chinese...and there are more "tourists" from Africa.

A paradigm shift is occurring not just in tourist demographics in Thailand, but worldwide in terms of the US sole superpower role vs. a rising China. Buckle your seatbelts; we're in for a wild ride...

How about some facts? China's GDP per capita is only US$6,200. Link - World Bank

But at the same link, the US is US$50,000.

What are you smoking?

• Like 1

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a lot of fear, misinformation, ignorance, and racial prejudice on display in this thread today.

and most of it will become fact some time in the future......wake up and smell the Starbucks(China)plc coffee.

Edited by bangon04
  • Like 1

There's a lot of fear, misinformation, ignorance, and racial prejudice on display in this thread today.

There's a serious lack of balls in society today to tell it like it is, and those domesticated people who call anything and everything 'racism.' BTW, the Chinese have hundreds of thousands of ethnic groups, so where does the racism claim begin and end?

• Like 1

Hurrah! Finally Thailand will soon be officially colonised by the Chinese. Though in actual fact, the Chinese already colonised Thailand decades ago and that is why the whole country is run by the Thai-Chinese while the Thais are "indirectly groomed thru poverty and lack of education and opportunities" to be the supporting menial classes to serve their colonisers and while the Chinese colonisation brought with it drugs,organised mafia, prostitution and corruption(tea money) into the Thai Culture, Thailand will soon be officially colonised by the Chinese.

All businesses, land etc will be under the control of the Chinese while there will be greater emphasis on the development of Chinese Cuture here , already we have top echelons of the country frequently visiting China and promoting Chinese Musical Instruments instead of Traditional Thai Musical Instruments.Even fair yellow skin is being promoted as the criteria for being rewarded a status in society here.

And we have thousand of overstays here of Chinese origin who blend in without the authorities checking on them.

To all you Thais on non-Chinese origin here, your days are numbered. You and all your offsprings and future generations will be condemmened to serve your new masters for generations unless you do something about it now to seize back your land and businesses.

You didnt know? Thais solved this problem a long time ago. They sticked their heads into the sand and ignored it. As a result, it ceased existing.

Ah, that old Thai gem, the "if I don't acknowledge something I don't like, then it doesn't exist and I don't have to do anything about it". Brilliant, it's worked so well for them in the past.

Even cleverer. The Thais are vigilantly on the look out of farang devils while the Chinese have already taken the country from under their feet.

• Like 2

Hurrah! Finally Thailand will soon be officially colonised by the Chinese. Though in actual fact, the Chinese already colonised Thailand decades ago and that is why the whole country is run by the Thai-Chinese while the Thais are "indirectly groomed thru poverty and lack of education and opportunities" to be the supporting menial classes to serve their colonisers and while the Chinese colonisation brought with it drugs,organised mafia, prostitution and corruption(tea money) into the Thai Culture, Thailand will soon be officially colonised by the Chinese.

All businesses, land etc will be under the control of the Chinese while there will be greater emphasis on the development of Chinese Cuture here , already we have top echelons of the country frequently visiting China and promoting Chinese Musical Instruments instead of Traditional Thai Musical Instruments.Even fair yellow skin is being promoted as the criteria for being rewarded a status in society here.

And we have thousand of overstays here of Chinese origin who blend in without the authorities checking on them.

To all you Thais on non-Chinese origin here, your days are numbered. You and all your offsprings and future generations will be condemmened to serve your new masters for generations unless you do something about it now to seize back your land and businesses.

Spot on right to the point, lad.

Thailand or let's say the political elite authorities of Thailand are kissing China's "behinds" and will be doing anything to make Thailand the next "Shina"

Counting down the days where Facebook and other social media platforms will be completely shut down...

From the past to now, many popular sites were and have been shut down.

Rich chicoms coming in droves would be a nightmare. I don't think they'd come for sight seeing- they'd come for investing to create massive debt, and when it is not repaid seize assets to empower themselves. The dreaded Rothschilds of the east.

and the gutsy ordinary Thais who have done a magnificent job of repelling all invaders, will be eaten from the inside out . . .

That's a really sad thought and their sovereignty laws that make it difficult for us to own land are already subverted by this bloodline.

You can't keep the Jews and the Chinese out of the world's business. . . interesting times . . .

There is a similar bloodline in Indonesia. . . . at the top of the pile. . . . However the Indonesians are comprehensively smarter.. . and sober.

Spot on right to the point, lad.

Thailand or let's say the political elite authorities of Thailand are kissing China's "behinds" and will be doing anything to make Thailand the next "Shina"

Counting down the days where Facebook and other social media platforms will be completely shut down...

From the past to now, many popular sites were and have been shut down.

Rich chicoms coming in droves would be a nightmare. I don't think they'd come for sight seeing- they'd come for investing to create massive debt, and when it is not repaid seize assets to empower themselves. The dreaded Rothschilds of the east.

and the gutsy ordinary Thais who have done a magnificent job of repelling all invaders, will be eaten from the inside out . . .

That's a really sad thought and their sovereignty laws that make it difficult for us to own land are already subverted by this bloodline.

You can't keep the Jews and the Chinese out of the world's business. . . interesting times . . .

There is a similar bloodline in Indonesia. . . . at the top of the pile. . . . However the Indonesians are comprehensively smarter.. . and sober.

What do you mean "will be"?

• Like 1

Thailand is getting it just like everyone else.

'Low calibre' tourists spend money directly with small local businesses and generally leave their accommodation and activity purchases until they arrive, ensuring that the money stays in Thailand. They tend to be young and often just out of university, and they remember their experiences and come back when they're older and richer and then they spend more. They also leave far less of a footprint culturally, environmentally and economically. The people who are running guesthouses today will be employed at minimum wage in international hotels tomorrow, if they're lucky. The profits will flow out of Thailand, which will be left with an unemployment problem.

TAT and the big. overpriced tour operators and travel agents see all that money being spent without their extracting their commission and they wonder what they can do about it. Did you wonder why the Chinese were being lionised and backpackers - who broke tourism into Thailand - demonised? That's why.

Thailand will pay a price for its greed. So hungry to chase the tourist dollar, it rushes to attract the rich and the gullible.

• Like 2

How about some facts: Approximately 25% of China's population is considered "middle class" by western standards. That translates to about 325 million people from China who have the means to travel and spend money. Anyone who has been to China and Thailand knows that Thailand is a preferable destination. And the Chinese know this too.

By comparison, the ENTIRE population of the US is about 320 million...so the middle class of China is about equal to the ENTIRE population of the US...as a Yank, I can tell you that about half the US population is living off government (read taxpayer funded) "entitlements"...The EU is not much better off than the US, and in some southern EU countries, it is awful...traditional western tourists to Thailand are on the decline and Chinese tourists are on the rise.

Face the facts; the portion of the Chinese population that can afford travel to Thailand and spend a decent sum of money are CHINESE...NOT Americans and Europeans. Aussies and Canucks are in better shape but cannot match the sheer large numbers of Chinese.

I was just recently in the LOS and the number of western farang has dropped a noticeable amount from years past, replaced by more and more Chinese...and there are more "tourists" from Africa.

A paradigm shift is occurring not just in tourist demographics in Thailand, but worldwide in terms of the US sole superpower role vs. a rising China. Buckle your seatbelts; we're in for a wild ride...

How about some facts? China's GDP per capita is only US$6,200. Link - World Bank

What are you smoking?

:clap2::lol:

Excellent. Good to see i wasn't the only one not taken in by his very dodgy numbers and assessment.

Edited by centrala

Farang should pay 500 Baht extra to come into Thailand.

Chinese should be paid 500 Baht extra for the trouble to come to Thailand.

2500 for the mucus on the plants, cigarette butts in the room, stolen items from the hotels, and wacking people with super long camera lenses to try to prove they are rich.

2500 for the mucus on the plants, cigarette butts in the room, stolen items from the hotels, and wacking people with super long camera lenses to try to prove they are rich.

This. Taking portrait-stood-in-front-of-monument holiday snapshots with a $1000 SLR with a cheap Chinese no-brand 200mm lens stuck on the front? I'm the most amateur of photographers and even I can see how ridiculous it is.

What are you smoking?

clap2.giflaugh.png

Excellent. Good to see i wasn't the only one not taken in by his very dodgy numbers and assessment.

The division of wealth and labour in China between the affluent middle classes in the cities and the dirt-poor rural farmers is stark and staggering: China has about 800 million peasants who own nothing but their stomachs. Even if only 1% of her population is rich enough to travel abroad, that makes 13 million Chinese tourists all ready to empty their pockets in the markets of Thailand.

You should learn about averages.

So at present 2.7 million Chinese tourists spend 2.5 billion in revenue per year in Thailand. So instead of trying to cater for all types of tourist TAT only want big spenders. The more tourists, no matter what their spend creates jobs and gives TAT the opportunity to brag about tourist numbers.

They should stick to designing Siamese cat bags.

Hurrah! Finally Thailand will soon be officially colonised by the Chinese. Though in actual fact, the Chinese already colonised Thailand decades ago and that is why the whole country is run by the Thai-Chinese while the Thais are "indirectly groomed thru poverty and lack of education and opportunities" to be the supporting menial classes to serve their colonisers and while the Chinese colonisation brought with it drugs,organised mafia, prostitution and corruption(tea money) into the Thai Culture, Thailand will soon be officially colonised by the Chinese.

And we have thousand of overstays here of Chinese origin who blend in without the authorities checking on them.

they cannot mate. Busy sleeping

Sent from my RM-892_apac_laos_thailand_219 using Tapatalk

I agree with Frank's comment. Many of you sound like throwbacks from the Raj. must go and thrash the punka-walla eh what??

My little hotels are about 2.5 stars, so they attract the lower-income, mainland Chinese tourists. My Agoda booking stats show that over the past 12 months, 72% of my guests have been Chinese. In the past 2 weeks, 100% of my hotel guests have been mainland Chinese.

During that time, not one hotel item has been stolen, we haven't been drowned in spit, and I and my staff have been treated politely by these guests.

There is little point complaining about the dominance of China in the region. From working in Laos and Myanmar, I'm fully aware of their growing presence.

The same is happening in Thailand, (especially Phuket), and I for one, am not about to exhibit racist paranoia and moan about 'slitty eyes' etc etc. I'm catching the opportunity for increased revenues by ensuring that my business provides what this demographic group desire, which includes me learning Mandarin Chinese...

Simon

Edited by simon43

Good luck.

Even the Singaporean Chinese hate the PRC, and are regretting having so many of them arriving in Singapore.

Having worked in Singapore for 15 years I find this post rubbish and personally I prefer the PRC Chinese

any day over the arrogant Singapore Chinese who think themselves so superior

What are you smoking?

clap2.giflaugh.png

The division of wealth and labour in China between the affluent middle classes in the cities and the dirt-poor rural farmers is stark and staggering: China has about 800 million peasants who own nothing but their stomachs. Even if only 1% of her population is rich enough to travel abroad, that makes 13 million Chinese tourists all ready to empty their pockets in the markets of Thailand.

Stamp it out. The smoke is killing me.

There are some Chinese who have gotten rich in the past couple of decades. They don't vacation in Thailand much.

The Chinese who travel to Thailand do so on budget tours, have little to spend, don't tip, all is pre-paid, they stay together and spend little with the locals, and go home.

The Westerners who come, come on their own and blow a wad on vacation, choosing their own venues. I spent all of April in Thailand and spent way over 100,000 baht just on a car rental and hotels. That money went into Thai pockets, and was only the car and hotels. I also bought a lot of gasoline touring Isaan, ate every meal at a local restaurant, tipped, bought a couple of presents for locals who are friends. I have no idea how much I spent including airfare, but it was a lot more than these "high quality" Chinese "package tourists" ever think of, or could afford, spending. And as much as possible of my money stayed with local Thais or farang owned businesses which employ Thais. Deliberately.

The farangs who move to Thailand support the local economy and even some Thai families with children. They invest and spend, and they spend a heck of a lot more money pm in the local economy than a Chinese tourist will.

What are you smoking?

clap2.giflaugh.png

Fortunately, the top 2% aren't falling over themselves to go to pattaya.

They are in Paris, milan and London for holidays just like every other high quality tourist. The Chinese definition of middle class is not higher than Thailand. The Chinese aren't falling over themselves to come to Thailand any more than anyone else.

The fact that the growth appears to have manufactured by zero price tours is actually very sad and disappointing.

I run an adventure park in northernmost Thailand. All sorts of nationalities visit, including Russians, Latin Americans, Japanese, Koreans, .....but no Chinese. I think I know why. Part of the reason: Chinese book and arrange everything from China, and Chinese aren't drawn to outdoor, challenging activity. Maybe that will change over time. I'm open to it.

Meanwhile giant busloads of Chinese go to the gaudiest temples (wedding cake architecture draped with Xmas lights) and purchasing places - and are never more than 5 meters from a paved road.

Looks as if you will have to do up your driveway doesn't it.
Interesting you mention that. The road which goes by my Adventure Park is near town, has about 500 vehicles/hr. but is in atrocious shape. Long stretches are so potholed, you have to drive as slow as you can crawl on all fours. Yet, a few miles away, Thai city fathers are tearing up decent hwy, to replace with new 1 foot thick concrete roadway. Reason: That's the N/S road which will eventually service Chinese trucks. An identical (same specs) bomb-proof connecting road is being built on the Burmese side of the border, also going N/S. Meanwhile, side roads are getting pulverized from non-maintenance.

This also relates to the speedo train which the Chinese-Thai Shinawatre gov't wants. It will go N/S to/from China, and will cripple Thailand with dept for 3 generations. All older Thai trains will muddle along, at best.

Chinese coming to Thailand to integrate/dominate - is nothing new. They already own/operate most of the businesses in Thailand, particularly large ones. They operate nearly all rice milling depots, and that's why the Shinawatres' rice handouts are mostly going to millers, and not farmers.

In a wide band around my adopted town of Chiang Rai, all the rice fields have been bought up, 1 meter of clay fill put on top, and things are gearing up for a mass scale of new apartments, housing tracts and shops. It will double the size of the city in 10 years. You get one guess who's paying for all that. Yup, Chinese.

The new influx of Chinese tourists, whether high-class or ordinary folks, will only hasten Thailand becoming a province of China.

• Like 1

4,999,999 of these "Well OFF" 55555 ..Chinese will arrive in Thailand on PRE PAID Tours...They

will fly in on airlines owned by the Chinese, Stay in Hotels owned by the Chinese, Eat in Restaurants

owned by the Chinese......Very little money will be seen by Thailand and it's businesses.....The

Japanese tried this in Hawaii in the 80's untill the State got smart and stopped this with very high

taxes on prepaid tours......Doubt Thailand will be that smart. 5M people using all the resources of

the Country and very little money.......Good Plan....TIT.............