Phuket struggling to battle taxi and nightclubs 'mafia'

webfact

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here just some personal experiences from Phuket:

I stayed in a resort in Kata, perhaps 500m away from the main street and perhaps 1 km away from the beach. The resort owner explained to me that his hotel-own bus can bring me to the beach but he is not allowed to use his bus to bring me back to the hotel from the beach. I asked, what do you mean "not allowed"? He said, it's the law here, only Tuk Tuk are allowed to bring guests to the hotels and resorts.

One evening I walked form the main intersection in Kata back to the hotel. A Tuk Tuk stopped and offered his service. I asked "How much?". He asked for THB 200.00 for roughly 1 km. I tried to negotiate but he just laughed at me... so I walked. Same distance in Bangkok in an air-con taxi with meter: THB 50.00 top.

I rented a car and had to pick up something from a tailor on Kata road. I found a free space for my Jazz, and asked the Tuk Tuk drivers if it was OK, i just had to pick up something and pay. But when I came out again, I had a flat tire.

Taxis with black license plates are not Phuket's problem. But the Tuk Tuk mafia is. Black license plate taxis are only a threat (i.e. an unwanted competition) to the Tuk Tuk gangster, not to the tourists.

I don't have a solution to the Tuk Tuk problem, but the present situation has certainly kept many a tourist from returning.

Have a look at the profile of Phuket's ever-changing clientele. After Zhang and Yevgeny get pissed off, wise up and go somewhere else, who will be next? I think most first-world patrons have had enough and the Arabs are very seasonal. The TAT will be venturing next to West Africa looking for anyone with a dollar and a willy. Roadsigns in Swahili next? hu hu hu

Phuket Struggling To Battle Taxi And Nightclubs 'Mafia'

Of course they're struggling. They struggle with everything. They're inept. This is a given. They haven't been 'colonised' ... haven't learnt the logical way to do things. This is Thailand.

Yes that's the problem indeed, they are not colonised, you can see it everywhere, also with education. but however it is inpossible to change it, now on this days.

I simply dont go to Phuket.... or Pattaya for that matter. When I have friends and family visit I explain to them they are the worst places in Thailand to go. I feel bad for the owners of these establishments who are trying to make a living and are getting squeezed, but I am not going to support such blatant criminality. THIS is tarnishing Thailand's image. It goes to show that for enough tea money the government doesnt give a sh!t about its image. They just like to complain when there is an issue they are not profiting off of.

I hope the businesses strike and bring more attention to this issue.

• Like 2

Where is the incentive for change?

1 Tourist arrivals are increasing

2 Despite various countries Foreign Affairs Scam Warnings, tourists continue to rent jet skis

3 Folks still rave about how cheap Thailand is and If you don't like it go home

Na, never gonna change smile.png

One evening I walked form the main intersection in Kata back to the hotel. A Tuk Tuk stopped and offered his service. I asked "How much?". He asked for THB 200.00 for roughly 1 km. I tried to negotiate but he just laughed at me... so I walked. Same distance in Bangkok in an air-con taxi with meter: THB 50.00 top.

On the flip side, the high priced Pattaya motocy taxis have motovated me to walk more; been good for my waist line smile.png

To be fair, some of the motocy guys are OK, especially if you can negotiate with them away from their fellow drivers. When I find an honest driver, I get his cell number and call him when I need a ride smile.png

• Like 2

Question: With all the stuff I read here I am concerned about a trip to Phuket. Have lived in LOS for 3 years been to Pattaya. No issues gf the ladies away. She has one mean look lOL

Question is. Is it still worthwhile if you are not a starry eyed farang to go t Phuket. I was there in the late 90's and loved it.

I would say no, not worthwhile. I took a short trip there last year. First and last trip to Phuket. IMO, the criminals/scammers are worse than Pattaya and the place is twice as expensive as Pattaya.

Last year, in the gym I went to here in Chiang Mai, I met a guy, originally from Sweden, who had lived on Phuket island for nine years. He told me that almost all that violence and scamming used to be limited to Patong. But now it has spread over the whole island. He said he could see it getting worse and worse, year after year. After being subjected to two armed robberies on the roads there, he decided he'd had enough and moved to Chiang Mai.

Agree with cupocoffee. "17 different state agencies are involved in massive extortion scheme against local businesses." Battle? Makes WWF look genuine. Like Pogo "We have met the enemy, and they is us".

Nothing new here, same rhetoric... move along.

I wonder if anyone actually cares - frankly it's their country and if they are happy to flush it down the toilet then who are we to admonish them. Let them get on with it.

Just do what I did, about seven years ago ... stop going there...!

Mr. xxxxxxxxxxx, Phuket Governor, said that the provincial authority had commanded its officers to work with integrity to avoid any complaints against the province’s tourism reputation.

The governor insisted that his authority is ready to investigate any problems, and would be much delighted to receive any useful information and evidence of abuse of power by the hands of state officials.

Does anybody seriously believe the sh1t that comes out of this man's mouth? Fingers in every pie! Of course he'd be delighted to receive any useful information - in order to plug that hole!

Nothing new here, same rhetoric... move along.

I wonder if anyone actually cares - frankly it's their country and if they are happy to flush it down the toilet then who are we to admonish them. Let them get on with it.

Agree, Personally I could not give a flying f***k, however, what does incense me is the tirades of BS keeps pouring from their greedy little mouths while pretending to be as white as driven snow. Been involved in Phuket for 30 years and have watched as the administration of this island have turned a silk purse into a sows ear at a very handsome profit for themselves.

No loss if the next tsunami takes the island off the map, with the exception of innocent life; good riddance to the rest. I'm sure in my younger days of Christian indoctrination, there were stories of 'God' sweeping the slate clean with a good douse of water every now and then. Not a bad idea.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

Some official probably told the truth recently when he hinted that even those who genuinely wanted to stop the local mafias did not dare do so.

In the west, when an official is killed while trying to prevent crime, it becomes a big issue and all kinds of law enforcement will do whatever it takes to catch or kill those behind. The criminals know this, and therefore usually avoid killing officials.

Here there is very little solidarity among officials, so the criminals are not afraid of killing or intimidating them. The officials know this, and therefore understandably avoid any trouble with local mafias etc.

On top of this comes of course the "fact" that the majority of officials here are the criminals they are supposed to catch, and they can't really catch themselves.

• Like 2

The taxi problem could be dealt with by simply a government requirement that all taxis on the island be metered and administered through one agency. Have the cops arrest and impound any vehicle operating outside the rules, private hotel cars and tours buses excepted. The mafia problem with extorting businesses is another and more difficult matter since it seems like everyone in Phuket has a hand in the extortion. But maybe it is time to get some honest cops from other areas to do some sting operations and when caught get these guys put away for years and levy big fines. Problem is that the system is corrupt from top to bottom. Not a very pleasant thought when you think that the judges are also on the take. Maybe what will happen is that so many hands will extort money that the business is not profitable and they will close up and go elsewhere. It has probably gotten so bad as to be impossible to stop another way.

Blimey, I thought it was only the farang buisnesses that got hit on every Monday! But locals too ay? Goes to show they're not racist, they will blackmail anybody!

You really didn't know?? Crooks don't care about the color of their victims' skin, only the color of their money.

• Like 1

Its not only the Thai cops with their hands out. One of the western volunteers has been attempting to shakedown protection money from bars and cafes in Chalong pier road. Its not a secret either. This guy is not hiding it. One of my friends told him where to go

I've Spent a lot of Tme in Phuket over the Years , I'm not sure that its that much more Unsafe than anywhere else .

Patong certainly has that Smell to it that Something just aint Right , The Island is far more than Patong Of course , and I wouldn't like to be trying to run one of the beachside Business's mentioned .

If you dont Catch a Taxi , Tuk Tuk , and Dont Hire a Jet - Ski , Dont go to FULL moon Parties , Stear Clear of Dodgy Bars ..

Look out at Banglar Road , Patong Foreshore ..Hmmm , Now that Leaves ??

Everyone Says Pattaya is So much Cheaper , In the Main Strip I dont find that to be True , depends which parts of the Island you are Comparing , dont know about Bar Girls . Do love Kata Beach I must say , just dont catch a Taxi .

I did have One small Run In , Caught a Tuk - Tuk Patong to Kata 200 Barht ( In the Day ) , coming back from the Surf at Sunset Trying to Cut the Same Deal everyone wanted 300 Barht ( Taxi and Tuk Tuk ) , Mai Palai ..I walk . Till eventually a Rather agressive female , driving one of those ' Sterio Music " Tuk Tuks , maybe around the 8 th to approach me came up with " Money Money Money " Song Blarring from her Machine ( A certain set - up ) ..I had not even spoken to Her , She says " Ok " ... " Sarwadeee Krub ..Ok what ? " .." Get in " .." Kop khun Krub I walk " .." get in ..200 ..200 " " Mai Palai ..kop khun krub " " 200 ..200 " , I went and Caught the Bus :) .

Then of course there were the 2 well known Gatoy , working the Bangla Strip , too Ugly to Snag even the Drunkest Farang Tourist ,

they were running a Complete Pick - pocket and Theft Campaign , basically its Snatch a Grab stuff , But the team would just hang around the Bangla road area .

When you walk Down that Strip , you can just " Feel " the Danger , Its everywhere . But , if you lie low , keep your Wits about you ..

It still can be a Fun place ..Careful who you Mix with ! 5 5 5 5

The incompetence of local officials ceases to amaze me. If these people truly want to clean up their mess they will have to bring in foreigners or locals who can be vetted, trusted and have no ties to the local community. Initially they may have a hard time interacting with the locals. However, if these people are placed in positions of power as I have described, and these people in turn are allowed to pick their own teams based on integrity then they can go out into the public and begin using a community policing model to gain the trust of the locals and tourists. Phuket needs a image makeover desperately and the only way to do this is to throw out the bad apples. Once these bad apples are found then it's time to start squeezing some nutts and let them know that their corruption and rackets will not be tolerated. A zero tolerance stance with no early warning telling the locals when and where they are going to be should be standard operating procedure. If they hurt the law enforcement element attempting to fix this problem then law enforcement needs to hit back twice as hard to make their point. These outlaws have gotten away for too long with their bullshit and it's high time for the bullshit to stop.

The incompetence of local officials ceases to amaze me.

You mean the ones living in their mansions, being driven in their fleet of Benzes and Beemers- all on a Gov'ment salary?

That's not incompetence. I can't quite put my finger on what it is, but I'm pretty sure it's not incompetence. It's something else.

• Like 2

<Whether reputation of Phuket as one of the kingdom′s leading tourist attractions has been permanently damaged is yet to be seen.>

It was permanently damaged years ago and just been getting worse. A classic case of the parasites killing the host.

I would never recommend it, or it's sister in shame Phi Phi, to anyone as a holiday destination.

I did have One small Run In , Caught a Tuk - Tuk Patong to Kata 200 Barht ( In the Day ) , coming back from the Surf at Sunset Trying to Cut the Same Deal everyone wanted 300 Barht ( Taxi and Tuk Tuk ) , Mai Palai ..I walk . Till eventually a Rather agressive female , driving one of those ' Sterio Music " Tuk Tuks , maybe around the 8 th to approach me came up with " Money Money Money " Song Blarring from her Machine ( A certain set - up ) ..I had not even spoken to Her , She says " Ok " ... " Sarwadeee Krub ..Ok what ? " .." Get in " .." Kop khun Krub I walk " .." get in ..200 ..200 " " Mai Palai ..kop khun krub " " 200 ..200 " , I went and Caught the Bus smile.png .

That's a neat trick as there is no bus from Kata to Patong !

I used to go over every diving season without fail but have now diverted my attention to other, quieter, safer places - my children now dive and I don't need them exposed to places like Patong right now.

It is a tragedy really because it used to be such a great place.

Greed is really one of the least attractive attributes of the human race.