farangs can own land in los

davetrout

Don't know how many years ago you purchased your land, I bought the chanote land the last few years and I had to sign. What should there be lost in translation? My Thai may not be the best, but it's good enough to understand what I sign, especially with support from my wife.

Fatfather

Sent from my phone

"...understand what I sign, especially with support from my wife."

No comment.

• Like 2

Don't know how many years ago you purchased your land, I bought the chanote land the last few years and I had to sign. What should there be lost in translation? My Thai may not be the best, but it's good enough to understand what I sign, especially with support from my wife.

Fatfather

Sent from my phone

No comment.

Sorry to hear that you live in a bad relationship. No comment.

Fatfather

Sent from my phone

Fatfather

Sent from my phone

I purchased the land in April this year.

I am legally married to my wife and we were told by the land registry office that the way we did it was the law.

I read the forms before I signed the, I can read Thai too. The forms were in part of the "Sinsomrot" agreement.

Edited by puchooay

Fatfather

Sent from my phone

I purchased  the land in April this year.

I am legally married to my wife and we were told by the land registry office that the way we did it was the law.

I read the forms before I signed the, I can read Thai too. The forms were in part of the "Sinsomrot" agreement.

The sinsomrot is not the chanote. It verify that the property/car/etc was purchased during marriage and is part of common property of the couple. But in the case of purchasing land you will never be owner, not even partly. In the case of divorce you may claim half of the investment bank, but this will not be an easy way. In my case I had to sign at the back of the chanote that the money for buying the land is not from me. Different land offices may have different set ups. It's not about understanding what I signed or how it is handled in different provinces, I just told what I experienced. I am fine with my wife since eleven years in Thailand and I don't see any reason why it shouldn't go on for the rest of my time in the same way. No worries about who is owner on the paperwork. The OP mentioned that there is a way to own land as a foreigner, which is not true.

Fatfather

Sent from my phone

Fatfather

Sent from my phone

I purchased the land in April this year.

The sinsomrot is not the chanote. It verify that the property/car/etc was purchased during marriage and is part of common property of the couple. But in the case of purchasing land you will never be owner, not even partly. In the case of divorce you may claim half of the investment bank, but this will not be an easy way. In my case I had to sign at the back of the chanote that the money for buying the land is not from me. Different land offices may have different set ups. It's not about understanding what I signed or how it is handled in different provinces, I just told what I experienced. I am fine with my wife since eleven years in Thailand and I don't see any reason why it shouldn't go on for the rest of my time in the same way. No worries about who is owner on the paperwork. The OP mentioned that there is a way to own land as a foreigner, which is not true.

Fatfather

Sent from my phone

I have never said that "sinsomrot" is a chanote.

I too am happy with my wife. I have been for 13 years. I was simply pointing out that I was happy for my wife to go and register the land alone. She had my money to buy the land.

It was the registry office that asked for my presence. I did not have to sign anything to say the money was not mine.

My point was there to stop the usual doom and gloom "it's in her name you have no rights" posters. As someone has mentioned before it is not so.

The method of caliming half of the investment back is actually quite easy. I know of some one that did it recently.

Buying chanote land, the land office ask you to sign on the back side of the chanote that the money to purchase the land is definitely not from you. It's possible to claim something back, but a hard and long way to go.

Fatfather

Sent from my phone

They didn't ask me.

My land is most definately bought with my money and is most definately bought under "sinsomrot" agreement.

There may be a difference here whereby I can speak Thai.

Maybe some people are getting info lost in translation, or maybe mistranslated (deliberately).

Again and not for the first time: Your money buying the land is of no relevance and does not improve your legal standing one iota.

Sinsomrot is a newly born child by some creative lawyers and has the same value (in practical-live) as a "Usufruct".

Cheers.

Amen! But Farangs usually don't tick like that. They feel the urge to erect Mansions, if possible in the middle of nowhere. Why? Because "the family" happens to live there. After a while, they feel the need to secure their "property rights".

Next stop: Expensive Bangkok-Lawyer, specializing in "Farang-matters". Returnig back home with 2 kilos worth of "legal-papers" and 20'000 Bht lighter in the wallet, only to find out, that if things turn to "rat-shit", the 2 kilos worth of "legal-papers" are of no relevance. = The law of the land (in this case Thailand) will prevail.

Reality is an unwelcome bedfellow. But can't be kicked out of bed if the thrill is gone.

Cheers.

Yeah, and the reality is the USUFRCT is the law of the land, completely enforceable, and doesn't take an Expensive Bangkok-Lawyer, 2 kilos of paper or 20,000 Baht to complete.

The "usufruct" gives you the right to "work the land". (Simplefied). Sliced tires once a week, the poisoning of your dogs, and the village community treats you as "white trash" by order of the "family".

How long will farang bear it before the only thing he wants is "get out of Dodge"? With or without "usufruct". Your guess.

Cheers.

Fatfather

Sent from my phone

No comment.

Indeed, no comment.

Upon marriage with a farang, Thai-Wifes have a tendency to put the Farang-Husband on a pedestal and fight for his well being.The "Family" has to take a backseat. Wife will make every effort to hold back any unruly efforts by clan-members to get at the farang-wallet.

smile.png Cheers.

Your wife seems to be a decent woman.You can't buy land in your name. That would only be possible if you've got a company with certain Thai employees.

You can own a house, but that';s difficult to reach when you've got problems with the land owner, for example your wife in the future......laugh.png.pagespeed.ce.SDkxrRteka.png alt=laugh.png pagespeed_url_hash=4020895376 width=20 height=20>

.Also a motorbike, a car and some buffaloes can be in your name.

But if you're planning to buy anything, keep record where the money came from and if all goes wrong you might have a chance to get half back. Or not.-wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif alt=wai2.gif pagespeed_url_hash=1722055545 width=20 height=20>

Spot on !!

Amen! But Farangs usually don't tick like that. They feel the urge to erect Mansions, if possible in the middle of nowhere. Why? Because "the family" happens to live there. After a while, they feel the need to secure their "property rights".

Next stop: Expensive Bangkok-Lawyer, specializing in "Farang-matters". Returnig back home with 2 kilos worth of "legal-papers" and 20'000 Bht lighter in the wallet, only to find out, that if things turn to "rat-shit", the 2 kilos worth of "legal-papers" are of no relevance. = The law of the land (in this case Thailand) will prevail.

Reality is an unwelcome bedfellow. But can't be kicked out of bed if the thrill is gone.

Cheers.

Yeah, and the reality is the USUFRCT is the law of the land, completely enforceable, and doesn't take an Expensive Bangkok-Lawyer, 2 kilos of paper or 20,000 Baht to complete.

The "usufruct" gives you the right to "work the land". (Simplefied). Sliced tires once a week, the poisoning of your dogs, and the village community treats you as "white trash" by order of the "family".

How long will farang bear it before the only thing he wants is "get out of Dodge"? With or without "usufruct". Your guess.

Cheers.

What a horrible, sad view of life. You must have been treated very poorly.

We've been spending about 1 month a year for over a decade there visiting family and enjoying the area, and of course my wife grew up there. I don't expect any of you predicted will eventuate.

Seek help.

Edited by KhunG

Fatfather

Sent from my phone

No comment.

Indeed, no comment.

Upon marriage with a farang, Thai-Wifes have a tendency to put the Farang-Husband on a pedestal and fight for his well being.The "Family" has to take a backseat. Wife will make every effort to hold back any unruly efforts by clan-members to get at the farang-wallet.

smile.png Cheers.

I must have been living in a parallel universe to you Swissie called Thailand for the last decade! 5555

• Like 1

You can't buy land in your name. That would only be possible if you've got a company with certain Thai employees.

As a foreigner you cannot own land in Thailand.

Fact.

Yes, if you established a Company it could buy Land ...... but the Land is in the name of the Company - which by Law must have 51% Thai ownership ergo it is not "in your name", it is owned by the Company which is, obviously, Thai controlled - controlled by whatever Thai Shareholders you decide to allow to take a stake.

Plus, bear in mind any Thai Company established with the sole purpose of owning Land in Thailand is basically illegal.

(OK, I know that probably many hundreds of Farang "Own" Properties here under the guise of such arrangements but there is no way of telling when the authorities will clamp down on such abuse.)

Patrick

Patrick you have hit the nail on the head well done.

Brian

Foreigners who invest in projects approved by the BOI are allowed to own 1 Rai of land. This only applies to BOI companies. Terms are that you invest 40 million Baht for a minimum of 3 years.

Sounds easy enough. I'm not sure if you have to sell the land after your investment period ends.

• 2 weeks later...

I've lived some years in Thailand now and this about buying property in Thailand is a "never ending story". Although "everyone" knows that a foreigner can't buy property in Thailand they are still looking for the loophole. Trust me on this. There are no loophole.

You can do some agreements with the lady so she can't throw you out of the house but it's still NOT your property. And the day you think that enough is enough and you pack your bag and go you can't sell the property. The house has ONLY a value for you when you are living in it or if you are renting it out.

What seems to me to be the smart thing to do is to rent a house in YOUR OWN NAME at let the lady live there together with you. And if the "shit hits the fan" just kick her out of YOUR HOUSE. I know that is a very harsh thing to do, but don't they do the same thing to us? And we have even paid for the house and the property.

Edited by Norlund
  • Like 2

I've lived some years in Thailand now and this about buying property in Thailand is a "never ending story". Although "everyone" knows that a foreigner can't buy property in Thailand they are still looking for the loophole. Trust me on this. There are no loophole.

You can do some agreements with the lady so she can't throw you out of the house but it's still NOT your property. And the day you think that enough is enough and you pack your bag and go you can't sell the property. The house has ONLY a value for you when you are living in it or if you are renting it out.

What seems to me to be the smart thing to do is to rent a house in YOUR OWN NAME at let the lady live there together with you. And if the "shit hits the fan" just kick her out of YOUR HOUSE. I know that is a very harsh thing to do, but don't they do the same thing to us? And we have even paid for the house and the property.

Another option, or word of caution, if the lady/girl is a third of your age, expect the worst. Be realistic, marry/date a Thai lady of similar years to yourself, likelihood of you being cast asunder, or hacked to death by marauding brothers diminishes, hence more security.

Just an idle musing on all things Thai!