Police Stopping Foreign Drivers – Fines subject to Change

khwaibah

Police Stopping Foreign Drivers – Fines subject to Change Oct 29, 2013

Society

CityNews – Several sources have come forward this week to tell CityNews that the Thai police are out each day at various spots in the city stopping mostly motorbike riders, helmet or no helmet.

For more see article in ChiangMai Citynews here:

http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=2572

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The excuse being to reduce accidents....haha

So its the tourists causing or involved in most accidents,

I think not.

Anyway,why worry about other people let's just look after number one and make sure we don't get stopped.

Sent via tin can and string after pigeon shot

• Like 1

I think not.

Anyway,why worry about other people let's just look after number one and make sure we don't get stopped.

You still haven't picked up your dead pigeon in my garden!

• Like 2

I think not.

sorry O/T all.

Jai yen yen mapguy, its not a dead pigeon, its a homing pigeon.

The police are not only targeting foreigners, the stops include everyone on an equal basis.

If foreigners don`t want to give the police any excuses to book them, than do the following:

Ensure that the bike is in reasonable condition.

Make sure the bike is taxed and insured, with the tax disk clearly displayed for viewing.

Wear a motor bike helmet, which also pertains to any passengers, at all times when on the road.

Carry your driving license and passport (not copies) with you.

If pulled by the police, don`t have attitude, don`t argue, be polite and show all your documents on request.

If it`s not possible for some of you to fulfil all of the above or think you know better and these regulations should not apply to you, than good luck to all who sail in her.

They do stop cars too but only pickups or souped up teenager's cars.

I was pulled over for first time in say 5 years, at start of week.

Before I could speak the Officers said in good English,

"Ah your English, licence please."

Without speaking I produced my Thai Bike licence and he says 'You can go' without checking any details.

john

I don't know why but I've never been stopped at a checkpoint. I wind my window down and smile and they wave me through. I don't know why, but I feel insulted. Do I really come across as that decent, innocent and honest? I think I need a ponytail, or tattoos or something. Does anyone know where I can get a ring put in my nose?

Yep I know how u feel been stopped 10 times at least in a hilux wind down a window and just waved on . Also can sit at a bar and never once in all my life have been offered drugs but my mates get asked go figure

I think not.

sorry O/T all.

Jai yen yen mapguy, its not a dead pigeon, its a homing pigeon.

Well it might get there in a while, the ants are working on it.

eyecatcher, your pigeon may not have been shot.

We have two on our office window ledge that have been mating virtually non-stop for four weeks now. Is he black and white speckled?

Meanwhile the overwhelming majority of people stopped by police are Thai motorcycle riders for not wearing helmets. Does it make them buy a helmet? Does it ever?

eyecatcher, your pigeon may not have been shot.

We have two on our office window ledge that have been mating virtually non-stop for four weeks now. Is he black and white speckled?

Meanwhile the overwhelming majority of people stopped by police are Thai motorcycle riders for not wearing helmets. Does it make them buy a helmet? Does it ever?

Most would just steal one ;)

The Transport Office and police have already stated that foreigners will be targeted at police stops in an effort to reduce accidents in the city. Damn this country is racist, and I dare say that they should instead target their own -- the ones that drive on the wrong side of the road with family and baby in tow. This country just SUCKS

You cynical lot !

Don't you know that Buddhist Lent has just finished and the police simply gave up fining farang motorist/bikers for the duration...

Now it's business as usual, are they still looking for the naked farang with his helmet?

cheesy.gif

Please respect the laws of Thailand.

hey yingyo,who are you expecting us to respect, the laws,the Gov,the police,for sure you're not asking the tiny minority farang population to respect the law 65,000,000 Thai can't find the time or inclination.Now if you're a Thai person I give you room for being in Fantasy Land but if you're some farang do gooder,blow me.

Me too!

• Like 1