Car crash kills Thai man and hurts Malaysian national

webfact

A Collision Kills One Thai Man and Injured Malaysian National in Yala
By Khaosod Online

van.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Betong police were alerted to investigate a road accident, which a Malaysian registered car collided into a service van.

Inside the car, four people were found trapped inside and were later rescued. However, the driver, Mr. Chalermphon Manoharn, 32, from the local area, later died at the hospital.

Mr. Chai Waihom, 36, a Malaysian national, Ms. Pikul Chandet, 29, and her three-year-old daughter were slightly injured.

Inside the van, Mr. Sachiya Sama, 49, a Betong resident, was rescued and later transported to the nearby hospital. His passenger was barely harmed from the accident.

Initial investigation reported that Mr. Chalermphon had been drinking since the night before the accident. A witness also told the police that they had seen Mr. Chalermphon’s car was driven in a fast speed before diverted to the other side of the road.

A big clash then took place and both cars yielded severe damages.

Police said that the legal process will proceed after the investigation is finished.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNE16QXpPVFUzT0E9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-10-30

Yikes … I have yet to get behind the wheel of even a rental car in my short stay here so far & the onslaught of articles regarding crashes such as this is causing me to have second thoughts about driving … period!

I am starting to think the inability to drive is a requirement to get behind the wheel of a van in Thailand.

The car driver caused the crash not the Van driver.

Wow - did you take pictures? Clearly you were there. Or jumping to some conclusion?

Don't know the connection between the guy who dies and the lady with the daughter but my heart goes out to them. They just lost a friend and perhaps the kid lost her dad.

Some real morons on here....who cares if there are crashes in Thailand everyday ...why is that an issue..or suggesting the Thai cops will say it was a suicide.....like <deleted> old spinsters some of you guys on here............................some guy just lost his life..show some f****** respect

I suggest that the drunken car driver should have shown more respect and consideration for other road users. The only compassion that I feel is for his relatives. It must hve been a burden to have such an idiot in their family.

A big 'clash'?? Or a 'crash'? Article doesn't say. I assume crash, as the driver was certainly avenged for his foolish behavior by the laws of nature.

Well I think the government needs to step up and make sure that every vehicle has a seat belt. Its quite frustrating to be sitting in a taxi, with no seat belts and you have little ones. And they speed here alot and, may be something that the govenrment and police need to address, and make it compulsory for everyone to wear a belt. If the taxi driver has his belt on, why not regulate for the passengers, who always becomes the victim at a crash

• Like 1

Yikes … I have yet to get behind the wheel of even a rental car in my short stay here so far & the onslaught of articles regarding crashes such as this is causing me to have second thoughts about driving … period!

you seem to be a quick learner clap2.gifthumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I am starting to think the inability to drive is a requirement to get behind the wheel of a van in Thailand.

In this case it wasn't the van driver's fault!

Are we reading the same article? The van driver was drunk, veered into the oncoming lane and stuck another vehicle. I understand the facts are not all in, but it seems to be a matter of time before he is deemed at fault.

Ride a bike and drive a car here no big deal, in my travels around the country over 6,000k this year have not seem any major accidents

Are we reading the same article? The van driver was drunk, veered into the oncoming lane and stuck another vehicle. I understand the facts are not all in, but it seems to be a matter of time before he is deemed at fault.

Better go back and read the story the car driver had been drinking all night.

• Like 1

The car driver caused the crash not the Van driver.

Wow - did you take pictures? Clearly you were there. Or jumping to some conclusion?

According to an eyewitness account in the article, it seems the car driver is at fault. Also, the picture which is attached to the article shows the car at left partly on the wrong side of the road.

My bad, got confused. wai.gif I promise to not let it happen again..........today tongue.png

A classic case of one of the usual suspects on here reading a headline, sees what he thinks is an opportunity for a bit of Thai bashing, pounds away on his keyboard without bothering to read the rest of the story, and proceeds to make a tit of himself! Wonderful.

I think he was taking the opportunity to do some "van-bashing ", rather than "Thai-bashing ".............which, ironically, is just what the drunk Thai driver also achieved !

Possibly. I have had Thais tell me that if I understood Thai fluently then I would understand them better. If this translation is any indication, then I will gladly compose myself to never bothering to learn a spastic language that must require an intelligent mind to be submitted to vigorous mental gymnastics when listening to and endeavoring to ascertain exactly what it is the Thai person is saying.

For all I know, this could have taken place in Malaysia, and is simply being reported or talked about in Betong.

A big 'clash'?? Or a 'crash'? Article doesn't say. I assume crash, as the driver was certainly avenged for his foolish behavior by the laws of nature.

That is right. If it was clash we would have assumed that both parties fought with each other after the crash.