ATM Scammers Thapae Gate.

chooka

I've used atm's and POS transactions all over LOS for five years. And lost a couple of cards probably by leaving them in the machine.

Never had any problem and I don't personally know anyone who has. But if someone prefers to carry big wads of cash, up to you.

The real scammers are the ones who told you there's a place called Tapia Gate. wink.png

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

sorry it went over my head....

It's best when posting important info to double check that place names are spelled correctly....only those familiar with CM would be likely to know that it's really Thapae Gate. To say "scammers' however, is a bit harsh.

My apologies, I had no intention of offending anyone. May I suggest that the mods close this topic as it may be offensive to some. To the crooks my apologies for accusing you of being scammers.

Edited by chooka
  • Like 2

The real scammers are the ones who told you there's a place called Tapia Gate. wink.png

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

sorry it went over my head....

It's best when posting important info to double check that place names are spelled correctly....only those familiar with CM would be likely to know that it's really Thapae Gate. To say "scammers' however, is a bit harsh.

My apologies, I had no intention of offending anyone. May I suggest that the mods close this topic as it may be offensive to some. To the crooks my apologies for accusing you of being scammers.

It is an excellent topic and thank you for posting it. The only thing wrong is that in the title the English spelling of the location would be better if it were "Thapae." Hopefully the mods can correct that. The only truly correct spelling would be in Thai which is not allowed on this forum.

Edited by mesquite
  • Like 1

We had guests get skimmed in CM as well, and we had checked the machine carefully knowing about the possible attachments and tiny cameras that can be used. Since many of these ATMs are connected by cellular links, I wonder if that supposedly secure link was hacked in our case. Charges came from Spain.

Modern "Skimming Devices" are often impossible to detect. Skim all you want to but without pin number (obtianed by an extreemly minature camera) it's nearly impossible to get a transaction from an ATM anywhere.

Cover the keypad when entering your number (As advised by every Bank) and you should heve no problems.

Anyone with beg to differ, I would appreciate any "Correct" advice.

Regards from PEP.

Got message SMS to my cell.."Your Auto Payment Debit KCC amount 14,390 Baht account xxx109555 is successful1/11/13 16:44hrs Will go to Krungsri and complain about this...will reduce my ATM balance on accounts and go direct and get cash out from Bank..will keep you posted on events to see if this transaction is a mistake...R

No one should have their 800,000 baht in an account that is linked with an ATM card. Instead, they should have another, much, much smaller account at the same bank to use for their ATM account. And, they can should use their ATM card only at the ATM machines for that bank. You know, the ATM machines that are outside the bank and watched by the security guards employed by the bank. I can't tell you how many times the bank guard has reminded me that I'm walking off without taking my ATM card out of the machine. Duh! (Fortunately, the ATM machines here eat the cards within 30 seconds, but that's still long enough for someone to grab a card if a guard isn't watching)

NancyL, you must have quite an attractive look that appeals to the guard or guards. Most guards, I find them dosing off or doing nothingmost of the time. I like it that way! Crimes are often committed with the collaboration of some insiders.

"Our" accounts are all over that number except my paltry account which utility is deducted every month. The "our" accounts (in our kids' names), only my wife has the atm cards.

Thanks to the OP for bringing out the awareness. I think using atm cards in busy shopping malls reduce the risk.

• Like 1

No one should have their 800,000 baht in an account that is linked with an ATM card. Instead, they should have another, much, much smaller account at the same bank to use for their ATM account. And, they can should use their ATM card only at the ATM machines for that bank. You know, the ATM machines that are outside the bank and watched by the security guards employed by the bank. I can't tell you how many times the bank guard has reminded me that I'm walking off without taking my ATM card out of the machine. Duh! (Fortunately, the ATM machines here eat the cards within 30 seconds, but that's still long enough for someone to grab a card if a guard isn't watching)

NancyL, you must have quite an attractive look that appeals to the guard or guards. Most guards, I find them dosing off or doing nothingmost of the time. I like it that way! Crimes are often committed with the collaboration of some insiders.

"Our" accounts are all over that number except my paltry account which utility is deducted every month. The "our" accounts (in our kids' names), only my wife has the atm cards.

Thanks to the OP for bringing out the awareness. I think using atm cards in busy shopping malls reduce the risk.

it was purely a Community Service Warning of the area. My friends got skimmed in the area and thought I would warn local expats who may become complacent. I personally have never had a problem and only use my card at the banks.

It seems I have raised some awareness and that was my aim. I did offend a couple of posters with the topic and I'm sorry.

chooka, I, or should we say, we, have never encountered such scam neither. One time, my wife withrew B20,000 using an atm/visa from an account in the US. No money came out but the amount was deducted. Only BBL gives a balance on an US account. My wife called the daughter in the US. The mistake was corrected soon after. I think they even added another 20k equivalent! The Western banks do seem to have more accountability as opposed to the local banks here. Nowadays, local banks here are much better than decades ago. Then, they treated customers like you were begging something from them! LOL.

Edited by muchogra

We had guests get skimmed in CM as well, and we had checked the machine carefully knowing about the possible attachments and tiny cameras that can be used. Since many of these ATMs are connected by cellular links, I wonder if that supposedly secure link was hacked in our case. Charges came from Spain.

How do you know they got skimmed in CM?

How do you know they got skimmed in CM?

Good question.

Not a 100% sure, but the card was rarely used in the USA but used often for several months here.

If you're utilising cards on a regular basis then you've no idea where you were skimmed. Easy to get complacent. Some minor changes in withdrawal habits can minimise the chances of fraud to your person and they've all been covered in this topic.

Edited by wooloomooloo

Using an ATM card here at the ATM and shops is somewhat different to Australia, and possible many other countries.

Here, I found that you get the money first and then the card. Opposite in Oz. Remove the card, then you get your money.

Also, I have NEVER seen any shop staff here compare my card signature with the shop voucher. They just hand it back. Could be anyone using your card.

Interesting to learn on these pages that the machine retrieves the card after 30 seconds. I rushed back once to retrieve a forgotten card, but it had gone. Big panic while the card was cancelled, which probably was not necessary.

• Like 1

It seems I have raised some awareness and that was my aim. I did offend a couple of posters with the topic and I'm sorry.

I've never seen a topic on ThaiVisa, no matter how mundane, that did not offend someone.

How dare you.

biggrin.png

I regularly get notification from my Credit Union in Australia advising me that I should consider cancelling their VISA DEBIT CARD and do all my transaction through a Thai Bank. I prefer to retain a link to banking in Australia, as well as Thailand, and always reply telling them that their VISA card is in a secure place,its not used to purchase goods in a store and is only ever used at an ATM inside a bank or as in most cases an over the counter cash withdrawal.

The purpose of their letters is to constantly advise that credit/debit card fraud in Thailand is rife and they are trying to protect me and of course themselves.

I am not sure if other overseas banking institutions do the same but its not like card fraud is a secret.So responsibility lies with the user and every precaution has been mentioned in this thread. Not to follow the advice is paramount to negligence..

Interestingly, there's a similarly vague story about ATMs (plural) in Wireless Road. It doesn't really warn against anything. In fact, this chap seems to think it's not a problem:

Somchai Pichitsujarit of the Thai Bankers' Association said it was possible that some gangs might be using a micro camera to record users typing their pin number. He tried to allay concerns, by saying: "People can use their ATMs as usual. If any suspicious transaction is detected, banks will take immediate attention. Besides, banks are responsible for any damages caused by skimming."

Yeah, good luck with that mate. And it doesn't matter if someone records the PIN, they still need access to the card contents!

Interesting choice of words, "ATM's hacked". There's no real way for the user to know that's the case.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/ATMs-on-Wireless-Road-hacked-card-users-say-30219007.html

So right NancyL it needs to be said again. As an expat that is one year old as of last month i appreciate this wisdom and follow it myself. I have two ATMs cards for use in Thailand. I try to strictly control the amount in them and the places i use them at to limit my exposure.to scammers. I never use the card that have access to my main cash but transfer funds into other accounts sometimes a few minutes before on my cell phone. You really don't need to keep a lot of cash in your ATM card. A creature of habit i frequent the same ATMs that are attached to banks with guards. But I am also prepared somewhat for that emergency situation. Thx OP for the heads up. It's posts like this that i realized my risk and acted appropriately.