ATM Scammers Thapae Gate.

chooka

It happens more than we know. Daughter had the same experience in Nong Khai. She eventually got the money back from her bank in Oz. I have always made a practice of only using an atm INSIDE or attached to a bank and maybe that's no guarantee but lessens the chances I would think.

True.

The high density tourist areas are an easy target. I just posted this in case anyone was considering using an ATM in the area where tourists are. I am sure the scammers have made quite a bit in the last week or so.

My bank in Oz closed my VISA card after a warning from the fraud squad. I never did find out what happened, but it was a pain having regular payments bounce as the credit card was no longer active.

It wasn't the bank who advised me. It was one of the companies expecting a payment.

I now keep what's in the card account to a bare minimum and transfer as necessary.

Thanks to the OP for the heads-up ! thumbsup.gif

No problem. I posted it as a community service announcement to warn locals of the area. Many expats who have been here fore a decade or more or even a few years would be well aware of the traps in the high tourist areas. Some recently arrived ones may not.

Happened to my tourist friends so I just shared it. Don't ask me to pinpoint the actual ATM as I cannot and I think there would be more than one in the area. Tourists will be taken today and tomorrow but expats can beware.

I still think there is less of a chance getting robbed of money, so I bring enough cash for 4 months. then use the ATM for 1-2 times during my entire 6-month trip. there are no guarantees. and then maybe hide some in your room, use better locks on your door, and live in an area with good cameras. and, if possible, don't bring your debit card. my bank it's harder to get money back via fraud if debit card. good luck.

Thanks to the OP for the heads-up ! thumbsup.gif

No problem. I posted it as a community service announcement to warn locals of the area. Many expats who have been here fore a decade or more or even a few years would be well aware of the traps in the high tourist areas. Some recently arrived ones may not.

Happened to my tourist friends so I just shared it. Don't ask me to pinpoint the actual ATM as I cannot and I think there would be more than one in the area. Tourists will be taken today and tomorrow but expats can beware.

A timely reminder for all of us, where ever we are or when we travel. One of my friends returned from Thailand to the UK. Bought something on line from a supplier in the Channel Islands and got hacked and her card was used to buy air tickets and all sorts. Ran up about 7k GBP before the bank security spotted something wrong and called her. Got the money back but its worry and hassle we can all do without.

No one should have their 800,000 baht in an account that is linked with an ATM card. Instead, they should have another, much, much smaller account at the same bank to use for their ATM account. And, they can should use their ATM card only at the ATM machines for that bank. You know, the ATM machines that are outside the bank and watched by the security guards employed by the bank. I can't tell you how many times the bank guard has reminded me that I'm walking off without taking my ATM card out of the machine. Duh! (Fortunately, the ATM machines here eat the cards within 30 seconds, but that's still long enough for someone to grab a card if a guard isn't watching)

• Like 1

I still think there is less of a chance getting robbed of money, so I bring enough cash for 4 months. then use the ATM for 1-2 times during my entire 6-month trip. there are no guarantees. and then maybe hide some in your room, use better locks on your door, and live in an area with good cameras. and, if possible, don't bring your debit card. my bank it's harder to get money back via fraud if debit card. good luck.

Same here. I always take enough cash. I leave a credit card in the hotel room's safe box [for emergency purposes] and most of my cash. I carry a reasonable amount of cash to cover daily expenses, debit cards and another credit card with me at all times. I only use this credit card for shopping bills, in respectable outlets, and online whilst I'm in LOS. I will not use my debit cards unless I have to withdraw a small amount of cash from ATM if caught short, and this has only happened twice in the last five years.

If I were robbed then I have cash and a spare credit card in hotel safe box and if the safe box was broken into then I have cash and cards on my person.

The cards are solely for backup and a little shopping but ensure that I only use the one credit card for all purchases.

My main credit card company are s*&t hot on fraud and I'm covered in any event.

There are no guarantees, puukao, and agree that a failsafe is the only way to go.

• Like 1

Probably farangs doing the card skimming.

Quite a popular activity of some Eastern Europeans and English.

Yeah sure Sherlock. The Nigerians, assorted Arabs and Africans, Chinese, Taiwanese and EU boys would never dream of doing anything like this.

The typically have different types of scams.

The Africans are typically more hands on in terms of getting to know their victims convincing them to hand over money for something or other - black magic money boxes, facebook scams of someone coming in to marry them then get stopped at customs and need money to get through etc.

Chinese and Taiwanese are generally caught being based here but working online using credit card details of their own nationals that are taken from their home countries, usually a lot of them and amounts in the millions of $$.

Most ATM scammers are either East European gangs, some hiring gullible EU lads for the final withdrawal, or a few English wannabe gangsters trying their luck with cheap equipment.

• Like 1

Don't use your cards when out, use cash, portable skimmers and hacked card readers are a real threat these days.

Withdraw cash from an ATM inside the bank, and check it for skimmers, there are plenty of pictures out there telling you what to look for.

Cards have been skimmed everywhere, we even caught a shop assistant in Bloomingdales at it once.

Your card should never leave your sight.

When you use an ATM you always give the plastic part that takes the card a good nudge, and put your finger to the edge to feel if a slip has been inserted. If anything feels loose or not one single piece don't use it. It becomes second nature and only takes a second.

If you want to be really careful you can also check for a dummy section over the keypad, and also check both corners around the ATM to a small camera that will try to look like an official bank camera (takes vid of your pin entered). Bank cameras are enclosed in glass or are in a permanent housing.

The main thing is that everything that is bank is solid and one piece, anything that is a skim is instaled there after the bank closes and is not attached permanently, or made to look like it belongs there but is a seperate piece.

Makes no difference where the ATM is located.

• Like 1

When you use an ATM you always give the plastic part that takes the card a good nudge, and put your finger to the edge to feel if a slip has been inserted. If anything feels loose or not one single piece don't use it. It becomes second nature and only takes a second.

If you want to be really careful you can also check for a dummy section over the keypad, and also check both corners around the ATM to a small camera that will try to look like an official bank camera (takes vid of your pin entered). Bank cameras are enclosed in glass or are in a permanent housing.

The main thing is that everything that is bank is solid and one piece, anything that is a skim is instaled there after the bank closes and is not attached permanently, or made to look like it belongs there but is a seperate piece.

With due respect It makes a lot of difference if the ATM is locked up inside the bank at night. At the major branches you can also do an "over the counter cash withdrawal" which I do twice a month at the BB. Just need to take your passport ,you don't pay the 150 b fee,total security ,peace of mind.

Have used my credit card often when traveling around Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam...

The only time I was scammed...was in Chiang Mai...

My bank received CC deductions from the Ukraine...go figure...

With due respect It makes a lot of difference if the ATM is locked up inside the bank at night. At the major branches you can also do an "over the counter cash withdrawal" which I do twice a month at the BB. Just need to take your passport ,you don't pay the 150 b fee,total security ,peace of mind.

I recently reduced my ATM daily limit to 3000 Baht at both banks I use after a friends ATM card was skimmed and he had no luck getting reimbursed by the bank.

At Kasikorn Bank this seemed to amuse the bank assistant who did this for me, "why Farang want lower" he asked with a grin, because if my card gets skimmed I know your bank will never refund my missing money, I replied, the grin vanished.

I now get my money over the counter and use my ATM for top ups, and I check my balance regularly.

It makes a huge difference. The crooks that do this are not likely to walk into a bank and install a skimmer in front of bank staff. Plus there is almost always video surveillance working inside the bank (mainly to protect them against corrupt staff!).

If you don't know how to spot a skimmer, you are much safer using an ATM inside a bank.

I recently reduced my ATM daily limit to 3000 Baht at both banks I use after a friends ATM card was skimmed and he had no luck getting reimbursed by the bank.

At Kasikorn Bank this seemed to amuse the bank assistant who did this for me, "why Farang want lower" he asked with a grin, because if my card gets skimmed I know your bank will never refund my missing money, I replied, the grin vanished.

I now get my money over the counter and use my ATM for top ups, and I check my balance regularly.

all the banks in Australia have insurance these days for such things. Account holders pay for it in fees. The banks will refund your money if it is proven that it was a scam. generally very easy to prove if you are back home and your account is still being used in say Thailand.

Edited by chooka

This happened to me a few years ago and the way it works is like this.

Apparently there is some one that records the transaction. And sometimes that person is not as honest as he should be and so he whacks a few more identical transactions through for himself.

I think that it only happens at privately owned ATM's and not the bank ones.

Your Nigerians et al are really the Thai owner of the ATM.

The real scammers are the ones who told you there's a place called Tapia Gate. wink.png

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

sorry it went over my head....

It's best when posting important info to double check that place names are spelled correctly....only those familiar with CM would be likely to know that it's really Thapae Gate. To say "scammers' however, is a bit harsh.