Borscht -- where is the good stuff?

Jingthing

In this new chapter of the the famous

Where Is The Good Stuff

post-37101-0-97416200-1383120851_thumb.j

food series, I propose we now focus on BORSCHT.

In today's Pattaya, borscht is all over the place, but where to find GOOD borscht, there's the rub.

Now both of my grandma's were from what is now the UKRAINE where borscht apparently originated from, so yes, I do know good borscht when I see it, smell it, taste it, etc.

I've not found really good borscht in town as yet, believe it or not.

There used to be a place off Walking Street that I thought had half decent borscht but it's not there anymore.

Many people suggest the Horseshoe place on the hill road between Pattaya and Jomtien but I found their borscht on the WIMPY side. Similarly, the Russian-Italian place on Jomtien beach road at Soi 5. Also that Armenian-Russian chain place.

If wimpy borscht is all I can find, I can live without it, as a typical small bowl goes for about 150 baht most places, and for me wimpy does not satisfy.

No, it's not like I've tried borscht 20 places here, but if you've got a SPECIFIC suggestion of a place with really good borscht (not just a guess) I'm on it!

Edited by Jingthing

Must admit, until I watched Anthony Bourdain in the Ukraine, I always thought Borscht had to be made from beetroot.

I also look forward to being pointed in the direction of the good stuff.

I saw that show too but I'm hazy on the borscht part. Actually, the borscht I know (and want) is definitely serious with the beets.

You know, with so many Russian types in town, I think people would guess it would be easy to find a great basic dish like this, but my impression is that most of them aren't exactly Russian FOODIES.

Edited by Jingthing

The things you learn here.

I spent a fair amount of time in Ukraine.

Odessa was my favourite ... though Lviv is equally beautiful in a different way.

JT ... degrees of separation become less by the day.

Yes, it was a stable there

A soup of beetroot, potato and cabbage may be nice enough but it does seem intrinsically and irredeemably unexciting (something it shares with all other Russian dishes that I have sampled). This is the sort of thing I would knock up at home if I wanted it, but I would probably be much more likely to roast the beetroot and eat them like that.

You know, with so many Russian types in town, I think people would guess it would be easy to find a great basic dish like this...

How about the Russian place in the basement of Central, next to Tops? They seem to be a bit prouder of their food there than in other Russian places around town (though I could be mistaken).

Yeah!

I've got a new borscht report.

I randomly came across a funky little Russian and Thai food restaurant on 2nd road across from the Hard Rock Hotel.

It is actually located in a Russian TOUR AGENCY.

This is in NO WAY an inviting place. In fact, the opposite. The look of it does not welcome you in and neither does the staff.

I wouldn't suggest visiting this place if you are feeling depressed or living on a high floor condo.

Anyway, I was looking for new borscht and viewed their menu.

Very limited menu of Russian items but one of the few choices was UKRAINIAN borscht, yes specifically spelled out as UKRAINIAN so you know I had to give it a try.

At only 80 baht you wouldn't expect a large portion and you wouldn't get it. The borscht presented did indeed have a very red, very "beety" broth which was closer to my Bubbe's borscht than any I have had locally. The contents were quite thin, some veg. and it contained a small funky looking beef bone, but the FLAVOR of the broth was at least OK, not stellar at all but I wouldn't insult it as wimpy.

I also made the mistake of having some beef pelmeni at 120 baht, tiny portion and very boring, and BTW, where's the beef?

Bread would have better with the borscht but didn't see it listed on the menu and none was brought to the table.

I also ordered pickle, a tiny pathetic thing it was, at 10 baht, a very small amusement.

The drink I ordered ... well ... it never arrived.

The service was beyond horrible, it was so odd that it was almost a source of entertainment, but again, don't come depressed, this place is a DOWNER.

Oh, hilariously, a SERVICE CHARGE is added to the bill, in a total dive that doesn't welcome you ... what will they think of next?

I would go again if I can't find better locally, but I hope I do because this place may be a threat to my already questionable mental health.

It's really just a snack though so perhaps good to go for an appetizer and then leave ...

Edited by Jingthing

Yeah!

I randomly came across a funky little Russian and Thai food restaurant on 2nd road across from the Hard Rock Hotel.

It is actually located in a Russian TOUR AGENCY.

This is in NO WAY an inviting place. In fact, the opposite. The look of it does not welcome you in and neither does the staff.

I wouldn't suggest visiting this place if you are feeling depressed or living on a high floor condo.

Anyway, I was looking for new borscht and viewed their menu.

Very limited menu of Russian items but one of the few choices was UKRAINIAN borscht, yes specifically spelled out as UKRAINIAN so you know I had to give it a try.

At only 80 baht you wouldn't expect a large portion and you wouldn't get it. The borscht presented did indeed have a very red, very "beety" broth which was closer to my Bubbe's borscht than any I have had locally. The contents were quite thin, some veg. and it contained a small funky looking beef bone, but the FLAVOR of the broth was at least OK, not stellar at all but I wouldn't insult it as wimpy.

I also made the mistake of having some beef pelmeni at 120 baht, tiny portion and very boring, and BTW, where's the beef?

Bread would have better with the borscht but didn't see it listed on the menu and none was brought to the table.

I also ordered pickle, a tiny pathetic thing it was, at 10 baht, a very small amusement.

The drink I ordered ... well ... it never arrived.

The service was beyond horrible, it was so odd that it was almost a source of entertainment, but again, don't come depressed, this place is a DOWNER.

Oh, hilariously, a SERVICE CHARGE is added to the bill, in a total dive that doesn't welcome you ... what will they think of next?

I would go again if I can't find better locally, but I hope I do because this place may be a threat to my already questionable mental health.

It's really just a snack though so perhaps good to go for an appetizer and then leave ...

" Bread would have better with the borscht but didn't see it listed on the menu and none was brought to the table "

That's funny because when I was in the Mexican restaurant the other day some Russian people on the next table were strenuously trying to ask the Thai waiter for bread. blink.png He simply couldn't understand them and when I tried to help them out by telling the waiter what it was in Thai . (But obviously not with the correct tone ). he couldn't understand me either

to begin with but then the penny droppedsad.png

Yeah!

No garlic butter bread ... that (from memory) was fairly standard.

This place is not the Ritz! You want bread? Bring your own! (Then expect a plate charge.)

OK, maybe they have bread on request but communication is an issue. If I hadn't had the pelmeni as starch I probably would have asked, but remember I never got my drink ...

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Russian restuarant at Jomtien Beach

Condominium. Block S1.Beach Rd, between sio 10/11

There are scads of Russian restaurants in town these days and a very many non-Russian menus offer Russian dishes mostly of very questionable quality.

Have you tried the BORSCHT at this restaurant you speak of? Or do you otherwise recommend the Russian food there?

BTW, for "funny" Russian food check out the menu at the Thai restaurant on Thappraya and Thepprasit intersection. As is the fashion they offer some "Russian" dishes. One offer supposedly "Russian" is a red TOMATO soup with some sour cream on top, clearly the Thai filtered version of what borscht is. Hey, it's red!

Edited by Jingthing

It's been years since I've eaten borscht ... and the last time was in Pattaya.

It was the Russian Restaurant on second road ... been there forever (well, it was then) big wooden doors.

Still there?

Yes, but they did a major redesign. It's now open air fronted.

Russian restuarant at Jomtien Beach

Condominium. Block S1.Beach Rd, between sio 10/11

There are scads of Russian restaurants in town these days and a very many non-Russian menus offer Russian dishes mostly of very questionable quality.

Have you tried the BORSCHT at this restaurant you speak of? Or do you otherwise recommend the Russian food there?

BTW, for "funny" Russian food check out the menu at the Thai restaurant on Thappraya and Thepprasit intersection. As is the fashion they offer some "Russian" dishes. One offer supposedly "Russian" is a red TOMATO soup with some sour cream on top, clearly the Thai filtered version of what borscht is. Hey, it's red!

Nah mate,havnt tried it. What makes you think that? (duh)

Nah mate,havnt tried it. What makes you think that? (duh)

Oh, I don't know, perhaps what I wrote in the OP:

No, it's not like I've tried borscht 20 places here, but if you've got a SPECIFIC suggestion of a place with really good borscht (not just a guess) I'm on it!

Again, not looking for a list of Russian restaurants. They're all over the place.

The place I mentioned in Central does have borscht on the menu. They describe it as "Moscow style". I dont know what that is.

It costs 130B and the picture on the menu shows two bowls containing very different-looking soups, only one of which looks like what I understand as being borscht. I dont know why.

It was quite full the other evening when I walked past.

Borscht is different all over the former soviet republic.

So the good stuff is up to you.

Not what some would say is the,  best of the best.Posted Image 

You are correct. I like it beety and bold.

Sent from my GT-S5360B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The place I mentioned in Central does have borscht on the menu. They describe it as "Moscow style". I dont know what that is.

It costs 130B and the picture on the menu shows two bowls containing very different-looking soups, only one of which looks like what I understand as being borscht. I dont know why.

It was quite full the other evening when I walked past.

I came past yesterday and again it was fairly busy, which is very encouraging.

I checked their menu, and there was 4 soups on it, including a Borscht and a Okroshka, which I am led to believe is a cold Ukrainian soup.

Didnt have time to try, but have noted it down for a future visit.

When I walked past two nights ago there were people on the front table eating a variety of things, including soups, so I got quite a good look at the food as it is served rather than as it appears on the menu photos. It didn't seem bad at all.

Again, the place was quite full.

The Russian food stall in the food court part usually has a queue as well and I can tell you the food there is nothing special. So a crowd of Russians for decently priced Russian food at Central Mall is not evidence it is GOOD.

However I will try the place mentioned (which is a separate restaurant space) as it does look like it might be OK.

The Russian place on a higher floor is never crowded BUT it is expensive so there's a clue for you.

Edited by Jingthing