What's the craziest thing you've done or seen someone done while driving?

kevvy

When first got to Chicago , was driving alone and I seen cars coming straight to me .I flashed my lights at them but they still kept coming forcing me to drive over to the kerb.

I was thinking crazy drivers and then realized I was driving on the wrong side of the road . As i am Aussie we drive on the right side. Learnt my lesson very quick.

kevvy

Edited by kevvy
  • Like 1

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Driving on the highway towards Nakhon Sawan from BKK and driving reasonable fast. It was far from busy and i always drive as left as possible. It was 4 lanes into 1 direction. So i drove on the 2nd lane going 130 km and i quickly approached a car on the 3rd lane. It stood still for crossing the fast lane in order to take a U TURN. Passed it, shook my head and looked in my rearviewmirror, saw cars driving on the fast lane and............ stopped looking. Could only hope that.... !

I once had to fly all the way to Nigeria because I just wanted to go to samui with a gf.

I told the then wife, I am off to Africa to see about business. She kissed me goodbye at home. I drove to the office, left the car there. Took a taxi to the airport, met up with the gf, flew local samui. Rented a car, and spent three days. Set my phone to barring all incoming calls.

Three days up, we flew back to bkk, she got on THAI to narita, I got on emirates to Lagos. Wife been calling my family non stop for three days. I called back, told her I had to make a stop in Dubai. She asked me if one needed to be a Dubai citizen to use a phone there?

I did some imaginable things cos of tail. So many.

I once visited lopburi from bkk 4 times in a month just to do it once with a tail. Once the deal was closed, I never went again. I was one a very confused man

Now I got sons and as straight as an arrow.

Summer 1983. Pacific NW. Driving my brothers 1968 Firebird convertible 400ci. Red with black convertible top. Top down. 0530, beautiful morning. I hit 140mhp across the 520 bridge connecting Seattle with the east side. As I came into town, I had to stop for a red light. I sat there waiting, waiting, waiting. The engine compartment burst into flames. I bailed out. A few minutes later a fire truck showed up and doused the flames. Completely totaled the car. It was just a pile of burnt metal, paint, and rubber.

0630. I had to call my brother.

• Like 2

Here when they flash, I'm thinking how nice of them to light the path for me to cross the road :) NOT.... it means they are going to hit me and I'll see everything. The other thing I'm used to raising my hand as a gesture of thanks to them it means stop and once someone yelled at me - oh well crazy learning new rules.

I can't believe I'm admitting this but in my University days way back when, I decided after a few jars a round-about was too much work :) straight through the middle. A few weeks later driving with a relative in the car they saw the tread marks and commented what an idiot must have been some drunk kid.

The craziest, was my poor Nana at the onset of Alzheimer's we were in denial and let her drive, she drove the car straight through the car wash - no neutral, petal to the metal.

• Like 2

That is pretty funny.

My craziest is probably seeing my Thai taxi driver drinking a beer while we were driving.

saw one drinking wiskey and explained he need it for fighting his cold...which sounded more like a tubercolosis

Here when they flash, I'm thinking how nice of them to light the path for me to cross the road smile.png NOT.... it means they are going to hit me and I'll see everything. The other thing I'm used to raising my hand as a gesture of thanks to them it means stop and once someone yelled at me - oh well crazy learning new rules.

I can't believe I'm admitting this but in my University days way back when, I decided after a few jars a round-about was too much work smile.png straight through the middle. A few weeks later driving with a relative in the car they saw the tread marks and commented what an idiot must have been some drunk kid.

The craziest, was my poor Nana at the onset of Alzheimer's we were in denial and let her drive, she drove the car straight through the car wash - no neutral, petal to the metal.

todd what is a few"jars" smile.png

• Like 1

Thirty five years ago when I was still a teenager I was driving my mums Morris Minor home from a Hawkwind concert in Guildford. We were on some country road east of Winchester at about midnight when my mate Tom, on the back seat, wanted to skin up. As I could make a rollup better than him he steered the car with his legs over my shoulders from the back whilst I rolled the joint still in the drivers seat..........it seemed ok at the time:-)

• Like 2

Thirty five years ago when I was still a teenager I was driving my mums Morris Minor home from a Hawkwind concert in Guildford. We were on some country road east of Winchester at about midnight when my mate Tom, on the back seat, wanted to skin up. As I could make a rollup better than him he steered the car with his legs over my shoulders from the back whilst I rolled the joint still in the drivers seat..........it seemed ok at the time:-)

hawkwind great band

• Like 1

Here when they flash, I'm thinking how nice of them to light the path for me to cross the road smile.png NOT.... it means they are going to hit me and I'll see everything. The other thing I'm used to raising my hand as a gesture of thanks to them it means stop and once someone yelled at me - oh well crazy learning new rules.

I can't believe I'm admitting this but in my University days way back when, I decided after a few jars a round-about was too much work smile.png straight through the middle. A few weeks later driving with a relative in the car they saw the tread marks and commented what an idiot must have been some drunk kid.

todd what is a few"jars" smile.png

A few jars is the equivalent of half a two four (translation a jar is 4 bottles of beer & a two four is what we call a case of 24 bottles of beer) I think we need a thread on what we call alcohol around the globe :) :)

• Like 2

In Phetchabun, near the Big Black Buddah, a Thai guy riding a motorbike passed me going around 80kmph, holding an infant like a loaf of bread with a 3 year old boy hanging on for dear life on the back.

All three of them had no helmet.

Smh.

Driving up the Bangna highway towards Suk, and of course there are the exit and entrance roads. They have large concrete V shaped dividers which arch down to about half a metre (I think) from the road. Just past The Nation, a pickup had gone full tilt into the divider, and ended up on top. Bemused looks from the occupants as they stood around wondering what to do. Must have been a horrible screeching of metal.

Few years ago i hired a moto-taxi from Siem Reap town to the airport.

I told the guy to go slowly, we had plenty of time.

A motorbike coming the opposite direction, the rider lost his hat.. And stop the bike in the middle of the road..

... A truck following, overtakes him, and heads towards us at full speed..

... My driver had no choice but end in the ditch..

A bit embarassed at the airport with my jeans stained with grass, but quite happy to be alive..

• Like 1

I was on mittraparp highway between saraburi and korat driving at about 100kmh and there was a Bangkok taxi tailgaiting me flashing his lights. I moved over and he came flying past. Up ahead was a u turn junction which allowed cars to u turn in both directions. He entered the filter lane for the u turn and actually accelerated. Fortunately there were no other cars in the filter lane but there was a pajero from the other direction waiting to u turn and join our carriageway. The taxis brake lights flashed once as he locked his brakes and slammed straight into the poor bastard in the pajero at over 100 kmh. The sound of the impact still makes me shudder

Thai Bar/Resto that catered for westerners.

Customer (a Yorkshire gentleman) orders a steak pie, chips and gravy.

He got an apple pie, chips and gravy.

Explanation, steak pie finish, customer want pie.

(sorry, didn't see the word driving in the shortened topic title, he has got a nice truck though)

Edited by Thaddeus

A number of years ago I was driving BKK to Pattaya, it was about 9pm, for a stretch there was no traffic.

Without any other cars on the dual carriage way I was bombing along at about 180kmh... I slowed to about 120kmh as I approached a pickup on the inside (slow outermost) lane. As I was passing the beaten up old pickup (travelling at an estimated 50kmh) for whatever reasons it just suddenly pulled into the outer lane (overtaking lane).... To this day I don't know how I wasn't side swiped as I breathed in and squeezed though the gap between pickup and concrete central reservation...

That day I learnt a very sharp lesson - On the roads here expect the most idiotic of manoeuvres at any time...

-----------------

Another time - I saw an overloaded pickup, snapped in half and stranded in the middle of a junction....

I've seen cars on the side of the expressway / motorway with a completely missing wheel... (that must have fallen off while in motion)...

-----------------

While living in the South of Thailand, getting so drunk at a bar and thinking I could ride my hired motorbike home. I tried a kick start and fell straight over. The Motorcycle taxi riders stopped me from riding home instead insisting on taking me home for free (I probably paid and tipped them anyway), the next day I'd found out that at the end of the night they'd wheeled the bike into the bar where I picked it up the following day.

-----------------

Seeing a young lady hit a black cat on her bike. The Cat wasn't instantly killed, but some nerve damage must have occurred, the cat was howling and screaming, flipping and convulsing 6ft into the air... it was an awful sight, it took minutes for the poor cat to die. The young girl was devastated, particularly so as it was a Black Cat which is apparently exceptionally bad..

• Like 1

Coming across South Dakota in the winter. Hiway slick as hell, just getting dark. Up ahead in the on coming lane, I see the lights of a truck shining across the divide. As I got closer, I could see that it was a Tanker truck, the cab was jack knifed and was coming down the hiway straight with the cab facing back at abou 45 degrees. When the truck was just about even with me, The front wheels of the cab must have hit some friction. The tanker trailer spun around, now pulling the cab backwards, then it hit the divide, separated from the cab and came rolling across the divide, snow flying all over. The cab rolled to a stop, still backwards. The driver just sitting there as if still wondering "what next". The trailer, stop rolling about 10 meters from me.

• Like 1

Since this needs to be Thai related:

Few years back, driving in a driving rain (pun intended) into Trat. Dark gray, visibility dropped to fifty feet. I'm the only one with headlights on, I decide to get off the road.

Hit the left turn signal, begin slowing, can't see anything behind me. Just as I begin coasting into a parking lot, scooter boys whiz by.

Yes, on my left.

Barely missed them. Ah, but that's not funny, is it?

The guy driving, at 60 kph with one hand on the throttle, and his left hand making him look like a lookout scout staring into the sunset, was oblivious of me. His passenger, arms crossed over chest, was sleeping, the weight of his helmet---with full visor----lolling his head to one side.