How do you check if your prepaid sim is 2100mhz capable?

snake24

I bought my AIS 12 call sim card last year around may period. When i put the sim inside my galaxy note it shows the connection as H+ so it's hsdpa speed but when i run it on speed test the results are dismal. Really bad so i suppose it's probably on the 800mhz bandwidth only but is there an actual way to check it or do i need to call AIS?

Take it into an AIS shop and ask them. I took my custom ROM'd S3 into the AIS shop in Pattaya a few weeks ago; I'd get internet on AIS but not when it switched to TH GSM. The young Thai lad knew exactly what to do, and after checking switched out the SIM card and fixed the problem (at no cost).

I find them dead easy to deal with.

• Like 1

Check your phone to see what Network it's currently using.

MCC 520 [Thailand] MNC xx [Network]
520 01 = AIS [900]
520 18 = dtac
520 99 = truemove
520 23 = GSM 1800 (DPC)
520 15 = TOT 3G
520 00 = Truemove H / My Cat
520 02 = CAT CDMA

520 03 = AIS 3G [2100]

520 04 = True-H
520 05 = dtac trinet

AIS sim users can Check for 3G 2100 Coverage here
If you have enough towers deployed in your area, you can initiate an OTA sim upgrade yourself to the 3G 2100 52003 network: AIS 2100 eService website
Check to see if your equipment supports AIS 2100 MHz 3G spectrum
- check the availability of the SIM, dial * 570 #
- check the availability of the mobile phone, dial * 571 #
  • Like 1

snake24, what was the result of your speed test in kbps? Thai carriers may be advertising 3G speeds up to 42,000 kbps but deliver only 345 kbps.

Advanced Info Service (AIS) executive Somchai Lertsutthiwong affirmed that the company is delivering broadband services within the speed stipulated by NBTC. He said AIS has clearly informed customers that the speed may vary depending on the type of contract they opted for.
Under the license requirement, operators are obliged to deliver 3G services at a minimum download speed of 345 kilobits per second and 153 Kbps for uploads.

Source: http://thainews.prd.go.th/centerweb/newsen/NewsDetail?NT01_NewsID=WNECO5605220010010

How do you check if your prepaid sim is 2100mhz capable?

It is a question of the phone's specifications and your data plan, rather than a question of the SIM card. The Galaxy note can do HSPA on 2100 MHz and when your phone's icon displays H you are on 3G.

I think you have two separate issues:

1.) Is your current SIM compatible with the AWN, which is AIS's new 2100 MHz subsidiary? Based on your time-line I'd say that it probably is a current IMSI-compatible version.

2.) Have you ported out of AIS/One-2-Call and in to AWN? My best guess here is that you have not yet done this. While it is possible to do this Over-the-Air, it may be best to stop into an AIS shop and verify #1, and initiate the port out/in, configure your phone, add value and subscribe to mobile data plan.

Assuming you have 2100 MHz coverage you can/will utilize that network, if not, then you would "roam" onto the legacy AIS/900 MHz network.

Edited by lomatopo

They will change it for free in an AIS shop, but they do now ask for ID. Must be some new law for keeping track of numbers.

When I went in a few weeks ago, they told me my card needed updating to the new one, and then asked me for ID.

FWIW, I purchased a new pre-paid AIS/Freedom 3G (2100 MHz) SIM, at a TeleWiz (retail shops affiliated with AIS), and was not asked for any ID.

The local regulatory authority (NBTC) does require that every SIM be registered with a Thai ID card, or foreign passport. However, this requirement continues to be loosely enforced, save perhaps in the "troubled South".

FWIW, I purchased a new pre-paid AIS/Freedom 3G (2100 MHz) SIM, at a TeleWiz (retail shops affiliated with AIS), and was not asked for any ID.

The local regulatory authority (NBTC) does require that every SIM be registered with a Thai ID card, or foreign passport. However, this requirement continues to be loosely enforced, save perhaps in the "troubled South".

If you happen to be in the "troubled south", you shall have your ID registered.

Otherwise no connection. Been there, done that.

They will change it for free in an AIS shop, but they do now ask for ID. Must be some new law for keeping track of numbers.

When I went in a few weeks ago, they told me my card needed updating to the new one, and then asked me for ID.

Well they never asked me for ID on 18th October.

Any SIM card can get 2100 but you have to apply for it.

This is not actually accurate. You need a newer SIM in order to support 3G/2100. AIS/One-2-Call SIMs issued over the last ~ 24 months should be acceptable, but may not necessarily be so if they were stuck in the channel for a long time.

I had a One-2-Call SIM which was ~ 8 years old, and it had to be replaced.

I would normally suggest that most just check with AIS directly in order to determine if their SIM is acceptable.

I think you have two separate issues:

1.) Is your current SIM compatible with the AWN, which is AIS's new 2100 MHz subsidiary? Based on your time-line I'd say that it probably is a current IMSI-compatible version.

2.) Have you ported out of AIS/One-2-Call and in to AWN? My best guess here is that you have not yet done this. While it is possible to do this Over-the-Air, it may be best to stop into an AIS shop and verify #1, and initiate the port out/in, configure your phone, add value and subscribe to mobile data plan.

Assuming you have 2100 MHz coverage you can/will utilize that network, if not, then you would "roam" onto the legacy AIS/900 MHz network.

Maybe you can clear me up on this too. I've been out of Thailand since March, but will be returning next month. I'm on AIS prepaid, and my number is still good (through March 2014.) Last time I was there, 2100 MHz was not operational yet.

I saw something on the AIS website about switching over to 2100. Honestly, I thought the changeover would have been transparent to users, rather than requiring everyone's active participation. Why is that? If I change to 2100, is there no going back? I realize we're switching from 900 to 2100, but what exactly does this website (or office visit) change?

Further to the point, can I initiate the change to 2100 prior to my return to Thailand? Or do I need to be "in the network" to do it? Will I still be functional for voice and data if I don't make any changes before arrival?

I'd just like to avoid some kind of snafu that leaves me without com upon arrival, or the necessity of standing in an AIS line first thing out of Customs.

^ I wouldn't over-think your situation. Get back to Thailand, get settled/relax. Your current/existing SIM will work fine, snafu-less. When you have time head to the nearest AIS/TWZ shop and tell them you want to port out of AIS/One-2-Call and in to AWN/AIS/2100 MHz. They'll check your SIM, and initiate the port out/in, re-configure your phone then you can use 2100 MHz where available or roam back to 900 MHz. Easy-peasy.

There would ne no advantage to initiating the port prior to your arrival in Thailand.

Customers are required to initiate (via an SMS, or web-site visit, call center, etc.) the port out/in for obvious reasons - you are changing service providers (subsidiaries anyway). For some/many it can be done easily over-the-air. There would be "no going back", unless you were able to find an old SIM in some shop. No reason to go back when you can roam back.

Note that your days of 12 month expiry are long gone. You will likely be on a 60 day rolling expiry so be prepared to manage your SIM during any time outside of Thailand.

Edited by lomatopo

Customers are required to initiate (via an SMS, or web-site visit, call center, etc.) the port out/in for obvious reasons - you are changing service providers (subsidiaries anyway). For some/many it can be done easily over-the-air. There would be "no going back", unless you were able to find an old SIM in some shop. No reason to go back when you can roam back.

Note that your days of 12 month expiry are long gone. You will likely be on a 60 day rolling expiry so be prepared to manage your SIM during any time outside of Thailand.

Didn't realize they were treating the changeover as though you are with a different provider or subsidiary. Anyway, good to know there won't be issues when I hit town.

As for validity, what's the change on that? I've had a prepaid account for about 8 years. At least for now, they have been honoring the satus quo of racking up as much as 1 year of validity (I believe it is 200 baht = 30 days?).

What's changed, and why? Are they getting short on numbers again?

• 2 weeks later...

i am not sure exactly what is being discussed here.

Is the 900/2100 MHz, the speed of the SIM card, or is it the frequency that the cell phone operates on when communicating with the cell phone base towers?

Disregard my question. I reviewed the thread and found the answer.

Edited by radiochaser