Immigration agency, or other help with visa for retirement?

I expect to arrive in Bangkok on November 12, and enter on a 30-day visa waiver. I intend to apply as as soon as possible for a non-immigrant visa and then an extension for retirement, as I hope to stay in Thailand and reside there.

First, I understand I shall need to open a Thai bank account and fund it with at least 800,000 Baht. I intend to do this as soon as possible, but it may be difficult as I shall be living at first in a hotel, and I doubt they would accept that for an address. Can anyone recommend a bank which is amenable to opening accounts for newly arrived foreigners?

I have a general idea of the documentation requirements, but understand that they change frequently, and such information as I have been able to find has left me confused. I am living in the Philippines at the moment, and here it was easy to deal with visa extensions as I just handed my passport and money over to a travel agent who did all of the paperwork, went to immigration on my behalf, and I picked up the passport again the next day. The fee to the agent for this was very modest, only about US$5. I really wish I could do something similar in Thailand. The process is more complex, and the fee would probably be higher, but I would much rather pay someone else to do the paperwork and all of the waiting in line, and help me to get all of the documents together. I am a 67 year old female and am recovering slowly from a long illness, so I am afraid that a long day of queuing at immigration may be too much for me. If I have to do it myself I need to make sure I have everything I need before going, or I will have to do that long journey more than once.

So, can anyone recommend an honest and reliable immigration agency, or anyone who could assist me with this intimidating process? Thanks in advance for any advice, help or recommendations. I apologize if all this ground has been covered before on this forum. I have tried to search for it, but my internet connection here is extremely slow and unreliable and it seldom works for more than a few minutes.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No need for any lawyer. As you pointed out, you might have some problems opening a bankaccount and need to visit several banks to do so. But that will be your only problem. Queing in BKK will not be too bad.

When you apply for te conversion, take proof with you of bringing in the required 800,000 baht. But i would advice to try to get a single entry non-O visa while in the Philippines.

It doesn't get any easier than applying for an extension based on retirement:

- you show your age and you show the money requirement. In addition they might want to see some proof of addres, like a rental contract or utility bill. For conversion they will also want to see that you brought in the money from abroad.

Here are the new rules recently introduced. If you enter Thailand on a VOA 30 day entry stamp go to the nearest Immigartion office apply for a Non O visa (2000Baht), which you can do if your intention is to apply for a Retirement visa (1900Baht), show evidence of annual income or money in a local bank, and if the latter is not possible an amount of money in a foreign bank you intend to transfer to Thailand.

You will not get a retirement visa until you are within the last month of the 3 month Non O visa given here or outside Thailand. Until recently you could apply immediately for a Retirement Visa but not now. The 3 month visa allows you to prepare your bank account or get confirmation of income from your embassy and supporting documents (the source of your funds)

If you have had problems with opening a bank account prior to getting your Non O visa go back to any bank with your passport. You shouldn't have any problems though. Problems are most common with bank officials not understanding the rules of opening an account. You do not need a work permit to open an account.

Remember If you enter Thailand with an O visa you will not get a retirement visa until the last month of the visa.

Best of luck

Here are the new rules recently introduced. If you enter Thailand on a VOA 30 day entry stamp go to the nearest Immigartion office apply for a Non O visa (2000Baht), which you can do if your intention is to apply for a Retirement visa (1900Baht),  show evidence of annual income or money in a local bank, and if the latter is not possible an amount of money in a foreign bank you intend to transfer to Thailand.

You will not get a retirement visa until you are within the last month of the 3 month Non O visa given here or outside Thailand. Until recently you could apply immediately for a Retirement Visa but not now. The 3 month visa allows you to prepare your bank account or get confirmation of income from your embassy and supporting documents (the source of your funds)

If you have had problems with opening a bank account prior to getting your Non O visa go back to any bank with your passport. You shouldn't have any problems though. Problems are most common with bank officials not understanding the rules of opening an account. You do not need a work permit to open an account.

Remember If you enter Thailand with an O visa you will not get a retirement visa until the last month of the visa.

Best of luck

There is no 30 day VOA it is a visa exempt entry. VOA's are only for 15 days and cost 1000 baht.

You must have the money in a Thai bank immigration will not accept money in a bank outside the country. Without proof of 65K income or 800K baht in a Thai bank or a combination of the two you will not be able to apply for a non immigrant visa entry at immigration.

You do not get a retirement visa from immigration when you do a conversion you get a 90 day non immigrant visa entry.

After the conversion is done you can apply for an extension of stay (not a visa) based upon retirement during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry given.

Also be aware the 'nearest immigration office' is not correct - you must visit the immigration office serving your residence province and if they do not do conversions a trip to Bangkok would be required as it must be done in the area you live or Bangkok.

Here are the new rules recently introduced. If you enter Thailand on a VOA 30 day entry stamp go to the nearest Immigartion office apply for a Non O visa (2000Baht), which you can do if your intention is to apply for a Retirement visa (1900Baht), show evidence of annual income or money in a local bank, and if the latter is not possible an amount of money in a foreign bank you intend to transfer to Thailand.

Best of luck

There is no 30 day VOA it is a visa exempt entry. VOA's are only for 15 days and cost 1000 baht.

You must have the money in a Thai bank immigration will not accept money in a bank outside the country. Without proof of 65K income or 800K baht in a Thai bank or a combination of the two you will not be able to apply for a non immigrant visa entry at immigration.

You do not get a retirement visa from immigration when you do a conversion you get a 90 day non immigrant visa entry.

After the conversion is done you can apply for an extension of stay (not a visa) based upon retirement during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry given.

I am aware that if any one arrives by air they get 30 days VOA with a possible 7 day extension. Coming by road or boat you get 15 days VOA with a possible 7 day extension. What I wrote in my reply is as we tell it to all applicants in our Phuket Immigration Office where I work as a RTPI liaison officer. The info we give applicants or inquirers is given to us by Police Lt.Colonel Lek and Captain Katare his immediate subordinate.

With respect, you may not know that there have been several changes to the Immigration requirements lately so to reiterate be assured what I wrote is what we now tell all foreigners applying or inquiring about retirement here in Phuket.

Edited by lopburi3
correct quote

PlastikbinLina

"I am aware that if any one arrives by air they get 30 days VOA with a possible 7 day extension. Coming by road or boat you get 15 days VOA with a possible 7 day extension. What I wrote in my reply is as we tell it to all applicants in our Phuket Immigration Office where I work as a RTPI liaison officer."

Now we are aware of the source of incorrect and misleading information !

I always advise people to speak to a real immigration officer !smile.png

• Like 1

You are still calling it VOA (visa on arrival) but it is not a visa but a visa exempt entry. VOA is an entirely different thing (a paid visa obtained on entry for 15 days by a handful of countries with limited Thai Consulate service). This is true in Phuket or anywhere else in Thailand - it is not a visa on arrival. And even the 7 day extension is not correct as it will not be approved - it is only a time to depart on an unapproved extension of stay request (although indeed it does allow 7 more days).

• Like 2

No need for any lawyer. As you pointed out, you might have some problems opening a bankaccount and need to visit several banks to do so. But that will be your only problem. Queing in BKK will not be too bad.

When you apply for te conversion, take proof with you of bringing in the required 800,000 baht. But i would advice to try to get a single entry non-O visa while in the Philippines.

- you show your age and you show the money requirement. In addition they might want to see some proof of addres, like a rental contract or utility bill. For conversion they will also want to see that you brought in the money from abroad.

So if you have worked legally in Thailand for a good few years and saved your 800,000 from your salaries etc and decide you want a conversion to retire you have to transfer the money out then transfer it back before you can get the conversion to retire.

IN phuket, Kasikorn bank was the only one ( we tried Bangkok bank and scb) that woud allow an account to be opened without a work permit.

Not true !

I have a Bangkok Bank* account but do not have and have never had a work permit

*Raj-Uthit 200 Pee Road, Patong Beach, Patong!

Edited by thaiexpat21

So if you have worked legally in Thailand for a good few years and saved your 800,000 from your salaries etc and decide you want a conversion to retire you have to transfer the money out then transfer it back before you can get the conversion to retire. 

If you were working at the time you wanted to retire you could just change the reason for your extension from working to retirement. No need for conversion.

If for some reason you had a tourist visa or visa exempt entry and could show proof you had the money from working they would accept that.

The reason for the transfer proof is to prevent somebody from borrowing the money here to do the conversion which is the same reason as needing the money to be in the bank for 60 or 90 days.

You are still calling it VOA (visa on arrival) but it is not a visa but a visa exempt entry. VOA is an entirely different thing (a paid visa obtained on entry for 15 days by a handful of countries with limited Thai Consulate service). This is true in Phuket or anywhere else in Thailand - it is not a visa on arrival. And even the 7 day extension is not correct as it will not be approved - it is only a time to depart on an unapproved extension of stay request (although indeed it does allow 7 more days).

I take your point but you're splitting hairs here and I don't understand why. Believe me an entry stamp is considered by all in the RTPI as the acronym VOA or Visa on Arrival and even if you believe VOA is the not correct that's what the RTPI call it. It is not known or described as a VEE by any RTPI officers I know. Yes the 7 day extension is usually allowed but can be refused depending on the circumstances and the officer processing the application. Getting back to the point I made to the fellow who wants to retire here, he can enter on a VOA or as you call it a VEE and apply for a Non O 3 months visa. I was simply trying to hel;p the fellow through what he sees as a complex issue. It is not. It is very easy to get a Retirement visa providinfg he follows the steps I outlined in my reply.

I am trying to make sure information posted here is correct and if not to correct it. Immigration officers do know the difference between a visa on arrival (15 day visa) and a visa exempt entry (which stay can vary by nationality).

He can apply for conversion or obtaining visa (depending on entry with tourist visa or visa exempt entry) by showing the requirement financials (not yet seasoned) to obtain a 90 day visa exempt entry for 2,000 baht fee. He can then extend that entry for one year for retirement for 1,900 baht fee. Yes it is very simple but normally will require at least 15 days remaining on original entry stamp.

• Like 1

I take your point but you're splitting hairs here and I don't understand why. Believe me an entry stamp is considered by all in the RTPI as the acronym VOA or Visa on Arrival and even if you believe VOA is the not correct that's what the RTPI call it. It is not known or described as a VEE by any RTPI officers I know. Yes the 7 day extension is usually allowed but can be refused depending on the circumstances and the officer processing the application. Getting back to the point I made to the fellow who wants to retire here, he can enter on a VOA or as you call it a VEE and apply for a Non O 3 months visa. I was simply trying to hel;p the fellow through what he sees as a complex issue. It is not. It is very easy to get a Retirement visa providinfg he follows the steps I outlined in my reply.

Deliberately continuing to spread inaccurate (and false) information is of no assistance to those in need of help.

"I was simply trying to hel;p the fellow through what he sees as a complex issue. It is not. It is very easy to get a Retirement visa providing he follows the steps I outlined in my reply."

There is no such thing as a Retirement Visa, it's a one year extension of permission to stay for retirement purposes, not a visa. The extension is only granted if the applicant has Non-O visa which can be obtained if he enters on a Visa Exempt Entry or Tourist Visa and meets the requirements. The Non-O conversion costs 2000 baht and the extension 1900 baht.

"I was simply trying to hel;p the fellow through what he sees as a complex issue. It is not. It is very easy to get a Retirement visa providing he follows the steps I outlined in my reply."

There is no such thing as a Retirement Visa, it's a one year extension of permission to stay for retirement purposes, not a visa. The extension is only granted if the applicant has Non-O visa which can be obtained if he enters on a Visa Exempt Entry or Tourist Visa and meets the requirements. The Non-O conversion costs 2000 baht and the extension 1900 baht.

I fear you are banging your head on the wall. Some do not listen or learn smile.png

Gosh! No wonder we novices get confused. What is a Non-O visa? Is that a non working one? Is it easier to get from a consulate outside Thailand or from the local immigration office? What other paperwork does one have to show apart from the financial resources? Thank you in advance.

Gosh! No wonder we novices get confused. What is a Non-O visa? Is that a non working one? Is it easier to get from a consulate outside Thailand or from the local immigration office? What other paperwork does one have to show apart from the financial resources? Thank you in advance.

smile.png Start at the beginning and state what you wish to achieve/obtain.

You will receive good advise.

It always helps to go back and read through some of the main threads or pinned threads on topics such as retirement visas or extensions of stay based to retirement, to try to get a feel for the language and terms and ideas that get discussed here. But I do concede, with many different posters and sometimes inaccurate or unclear info, it can be confusing.

Non-O refers to a Non-Immigrant O Visa, which typically is issued by Thai consulates in countries outside Thailand. One type of O visa is the O-A visa, which typically is referred to as a retirement visa. You need to be at least 50 years of age and be able to prove financial resources.

A similar permission to stay to the O-A visa is something called an Extension of Stay based on retirement. Unlike the visas, extensions of stay are issued by Thai Immigration inside Thailand, and are valid for one year with annual renewals possible. The eligibility criteria are similar: got to be at least age 50 and be able to prove financial resources.

The O-As typically are used by people already residing outside Thailand, so they apply at their local Thai consulate and then arrive in Thailand using the O-A. It's also valid for a year. But since with each exit and re-entry into Thailand you'll be stamped with an additional 12 months permission to stay, it effectively can become almost a two-year permission if you leave Thailand just before the initial year and then return before it expires, thus gaining an additional 12 months permission to stay.

Some other differences between the O-A and the extension of stay based on retirement are the O-As issued by the consulates typically will require both a medical check and a police clearance as part of the application process. Some consulates also require the notarization of application documents. With the extension of stay, no medical or police check is required, and no notarization is required.

The Extensions of Stay based on Retirement probably and logically are used more by people who are already residing in Thailand, since that is a relatively easy application process through the local Thai Immigration office responsible for the area where you live. But if you arrive in Thailand on an O-A visa, once you've exhausted the permission to stay from that visa, you can transition to the Extension of Stay based on retirement, and continue onward in that mode, assuming you continue to meet the basic requirements.

About the financial requirement, one way to satisfy that is to have a bank deposit of at least 800,000 baht on deposit prior to your application. For O-A visas, those funds can be held in your home country bank and currency, provided the exchange rate equals at least 800,000 baht. For extensions of stay based on retirement, the 800,000+ baht must be held in a bank account inside Thailand. Instead of the 800,000 baht, you can also satisfy the financial requirement for both the O-A visa or the retirement extension by documenting the equivalent of at least 65,000 baht a month in total income.

As noted above, there's also a different method of gaining permission to stay here that involves arriving on a visa-exempt entry or tourist visa, and then going to Thai Immigration, usually in BKK, where you can convert to a short-term O visa and then ultimately to an extension of stay based on retirement. But that's a bit more complicated, especially for a first-timer, and involves some additional fees beyond those of a basic retirement extension.

For an elderly person in not the best of health and not familiar with the procedures and locations of Thai Immigration in BKK, it might be worthwhile to either find a friend who's well versed in the process to tag along, or even, just for the first here, hire one of the local law firms in BKK that specialize in assisting farangs with visa/extension of stay issues. That will cost some money in fees, but if you pick a capable firm, they'll make sure you get everything correct and guide you through the process, so hopefully you can do it yourself the next year with some confidence.

BTW, both O-A visas and extensions of stay based on retirement typically do not allow for employment inside Thailand, either paid or volunteer. Other types of visas, like B for business, do allow for employment.

As for Thai bank accounts, probably good to start with a branch of BKK Bank in one of the farang oriented areas. You should be able to open a new account with them even without a work permit. But it will get easier depending on what kind of permission to stay you have at the time: visa exempt entry harder. tourist visa should be OK... O-A visa or retirement extension, definitely OK.

BKK Bank also has a website, unlike a lot of the other Thai banks, where they specifically spell out just what farangs need to have in order to be eligible for opening new accounts, based on their entry status. The website is here:

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

For an elderly person in not the best of health and not familiar with the procedures and locations of Thai Immigration in BKK, it might be worthwhile to either find a friend who's well versed in the process to tag along, or even, just for the first here, hire one of the local law firms in BKK that specialize in assisting farangs with visa/extension of stay issues. That will cost some money in fees, but if you pick a capable firm, they'll make sure you get everything correct and guide you through the process, so hopefully you can do it yourself the next year with some confidence.

OP here. Yes, I totally agree. That was one of the main points of my post. I need help with this. I am willing to pay a reasonable fee, but which of the many firms advertising could be considered capable? I wish I could get some recommendation based on personal experience. I do need somebody to hep me. My health is not the best it has been and I am not able to stand in line for long periods of time. I do not want to make the long journey to Chaeng Wattana only to be turned away after waiting for hours because of something I have omitted to bring with me, and have to do it all over again another day.

Failing professional help, a complete and authoritative list of exactly what I must take with me would be enormously helpful. Despite a lot of searching I have not been able to find one.

OP here. Yes, I totally agree. That was one of the main points of my post. I need help with this. I am willing to pay a reasonable fee, but which of the many firms advertising could be considered capable? I wish I could get some recommendation based on personal experience. I do need somebody to hep me. My health is not the best it has been and I am not able to stand in line for long periods of time. I do not want to make the long journey to Chaeng Wattana only to be turned away after waiting for hours because of something I have omitted to bring with me, and have to do it all over again another day.

Failing professional help, a complete and authoritative list of exactly what I must take with me would be enormously helpful. Despite a lot of searching I have not been able to find one.

Dear OP -

You'd be well advised to take the advice of the Global Moderators Lopburi, Mario and others with their zillions of posts and years of experience.

My advice is to ignore the often conflicting advice you'll see from other less experienced albeit well intentioned posters.

If you don't you'll finish up even more confused than you were when you started this thread smile.png

Edited by Papadragon
  • Like 2

For retirement? Age over 50? What financials do you have; 800k in bank or 65k income or combination. What kind of housing are you in? Are you married to a Thai?

If you provide a few basic data markers here people can provide first hand information.

Part of the issue about getting some professional help, at least for the first go-around, is which city/location you're going to be applying in re Thai Immigration... In BKK there are quite a few law firms or similar that offer visa/extension services. People here have had both good and bad experiences with many of them, depending on who's telling the story.

If you were to apply for and obtain an O-A visa outside Thailand, then there'd be little for you to do upon arrival, certainly nothing much complicated. And your bank funds could stay outside Thailand, at least for the time being. The Thai consulates in the U,S., for example, have very specific and details procedures and requirements spelled out for O-A visas on their websites... I dunno how the Thai consulate in the PH fares for that.

But if someone's going to come in on a visa-exempt 30-day entry or tourist visa and start dealing with Thai Immigration right away, I think getting some experienced help is fine, especially for someone very new to the country and to Thai Immigration overall... I remember the first time I had to go thru that process, I was totally confused and unclear about all the details and different routes and options, and even the short-hand terminology often used here on ThaiVisa. Not to mention feeling a bit intimidated by the officialdom and lack of English skills for communication at Thai Immigration.

In my early days here, I paid Sunbelt Asia in Bkk to both advise me on the best way to proceed for my situation at that time and also to walk me through the process. They did a competent and professional job in my case that included sending one of their staff along with me when I went down to the former Immigration HQ at Soi Suan Plu for the first time. After that first go-round, I did all the subsequent annual stuff on my own... and always read and kept up here..because the rules and interpretations and details do change from time to time.

There's a lot of good knowledge and expertise represented in the posters and information related here. But it's often not relayed in a step-by-step, item by item, easy guide kind of way...because the same questions tend to get asked and answered over and over and over again as new members/posters come and go. There also is a lot of the step-by-step info out there in various threads and posts, but it's not always easy to locate when you find yourself in need.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK