Anti-government demonstrations worry Thai Army Chief

webfact

Anti-government demonstrations worry Army Chief

Sisaket, 31 Oct 2013, (NNT) – Army Chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha has expressed his worries about the current political uncertainty, while urging all demonstrators to abide by laws and regulations.

During his visit in Sisaket Province, General Prayuth said the current political situation is worrisome as anti-government demonstrations could escalate anytime. He has therefore warned all those demonstrators that all activities should be in line with the law, while asking them not to violate the rights of others or cause any problem.

At Sisaket, the Army Chief met with soldiers deployed along the Thai-Cambodian border line in a bid to build morale among the soldiers. He also went over border protection and evacuation plans with the soldiers in case of any emergency.

He also reassured that those joining the rally triggered by the Phra Viharn dispute can only enter certain areas at the border as the prohibited areas are too dangerous, plus demonstrations could obstruct the work of the soldiers.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-10-31 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

When he says anti-government demonstrations I hope he's including the potential involvement of dissident reds opposed to amnesty.

Quite a problem for all concerned if the ' genuine ' opposition, reds opposed to amnesty and reds supporting the government all hit the streets. Who will the army and police be ordered to sort out first ?

Give him a break really this time, while he is an official somewhat talking of things which are the responsibility of a different sector of government, as a thai they make sense.

He did not say anything weird or inflammatory so stay the cynicism for a moment.

Since when is law and order a concern for the army chief?? Dear general, it is in good hand with the police, they will do as they did last time: Nothing!

As for the Phra Viharn issue: Nationalism and low IQ is a dangerous cocktail!!w00t.gif

"he also went over evacuation plans in case of an emergency"

Run, Somchai, run........

I think this kind of highlights the very tenuous 'truce' that is currently in place between the Army and the Police, and if necessary, the Army will step in to do their work for them (with the added advantage that it will be done properly).

Although the Army Chief was seemingly forging closer ties with the fugitive criminal, there is clearly some concern over the absent 'true' PTP leader's current attempts to force his way back into the country using very dangerous tactics, and it is clear for all to see that there is obvious potential for major civil unrest if the current situation boils over.

The General has now provided his first warning; I envisage him reinforcing this in the very near future with a second warning, and then, if the need arises, any coup that ensues will be justified on the basis of the warnings that were previously given.

Her ladyship, and her Cabinet, would be well advised to cancel their planned up-country Cabinet meeting - (why a Cabinet meeting has to take place up-country as opposed to Bangkok is beyond me anyway) - they should instead be prepared to engage in the debate on the Amnesty Bill and see for themselves how stupid they are to keep trying to force this through.

They need to see at first hand just how deep seated the opposition to the Bill is. This misguided Bill is set to be the catalyst for the major civil unrest that I refer to, and the General will have no option but to take over to keep the peace if such unrest does erupt.

I personally believe that if it does come to a coup, they should take that opportunity to take over law and order, on a temporary basis, disband the current police force, and start again with only high-calibre personnel. I know there is little chance of this happening, but if this country is going to drag itself kicking and screaming into the 21st Century, then drastic measures will clearly be required....!

Understand what you are saying and why you are saying it, but unfortunately what you have described viz-a-viz the Army is called Martial Law. A highly unpopular state of governance.wai.gif

Since when is law and order a concern for the army chief?? Dear general, it is in good hand with the police, they will do as they did last time: Nothing!

As for the Phra Viharn issue: Nationalism and low IQ is a dangerous cocktail!!w00t.gif

I think this kind of highlights the very tenuous 'truce' that is currently in place between the Army and the Police, and if necessary, the Army will step in to do their work for them (with the added advantage that it will be done properly).

Although the Army Chief was seemingly forging closer ties with the fugitive criminal, there is clearly some concern over the absent 'true' PTP leader's current attempts to force his way back into the country using very dangerous tactics, and it is clear for all to see that there is obvious potential for major civil unrest if the current situation boils over.

The General has now provided his first warning; I envisage him reinforcing this in the very near future with a second warning, and then, if the need arises, any coup that ensues will be justified on the basis of the warnings that were previously given.

Her ladyship, and her Cabinet, would be well advised to cancel their planned up-country Cabinet meeting - (why a Cabinet meeting has to take place up-country as opposed to Bangkok is beyond me anyway) - they should instead be prepared to engage in the debate on the Amnesty Bill and see for themselves how stupid they are to keep trying to force this through.

They need to see at first hand just how deep seated the opposition to the Bill is. This misguided Bill is set to be the catalyst for the major civil unrest that I refer to, and the General will have no option but to take over to keep the peace if such unrest does erupt.

I personally believe that if it does come to a coup, they should take that opportunity to take over law and order, on a temporary basis, disband the current police force, and start again with only high-calibre personnel. I know there is little chance of this happening, but if this country is going to drag itself kicking and screaming into the 21st Century, then drastic measures will clearly be required....!

Understand what you are saying and why you are saying it, but unfortunately what you have described viz-a-viz the Army is called Martial Law. A highly unpopular state of governance.wai.gif

is martial law any worse than the corrupt rubbish that is currently trying to pass as civil law- I wouldn't think so?

The last coup was very popular here in Bangkok

I don't think there will be a coup - not quite yet anyway. I think the PTP are being given yard after yard of rope to hang themselves with - and are making a very good of doing just that. They are even having to resort to threatening their own power base, the red shirts, into backing their bills. The Dems are doing the right thing for now, sitting back, putting out message after message of the failures and likelihood or failure of each stupid policy the government employs. What better way for the Dems than full scales protests/riots in BKK again - perhaps this time with both Red and Yellow calling for the same demands - to cause havoc, and to watch how the present government gets out of it! Could be at least as good as amnesty for the Dems without the need to give the same to Thaksin. A lot of poor farmers, especially rubber farmers, that are not seeing that level playing field they were promised - this could end up a real shitstorm. The army may well eventually be invited in to restore order in the long run anyway. A coup is not yet in anyone's best interests and will just result in those boiling over right now, swapping back firmly behind the government for fear of a PAD government. Just some thoughts.