Why be in Thailand?

laolover88

If it wasn't for the two nippers I'd never have come back here to be honest. I'd much prefer to see the rest of the World first and then retire to Devon.

Oh well. Never mind.

One great thing about the British it does not matter where they are living in the world Britain is always better have heard dozens in Australia , Philipines , Thailand and New Zealand whinge and whinge but they never go back mmmm I wonder why ?

I'm sure you're about to tell me.

The OP asked 'Why be in Thailand?'. For me it's because of two daughters. Otherwise I'd be seeing the rest of the World. Was I whinging? No.

I'd just like to travel more but I'm either stuck here doing the laundry or stuck on site in the UK. See, now I'm whinging, you've got me all worked up! laugh.png

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP "are there actually any good reasons for living here rather than somewhere else?"

Well, I guess if I lived in another country I might ask myself, "are there actually any good reasons for living here rather than somewhere else?"

Over in the Khmer forum for Cambodian expats someone just posted the exact same question, so it kind of proves your pointsmile.png

I'd rather be in Latin America but for a variety of personal reasons it is better for me to be here now... can't say I love it anymore though, especially after learning Thai language.

I am rather surprised at the last sentence. I love it here, the only disturbing fact is that I can't learn the language,. It is simply too foreign and difficult for me, although I do speak a number of languages apart from my mother tongue. It's a pity, but I still wish to remain here!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd rather be in Latin America but for a variety of personal reasons it is better for me to be here now... can't say I love it anymore though, especially after learning Thai language.

I am rather surprised at the last sentence. I love it here, the only disturbing fact is that I can't learn the language,. It is simply too foreign and difficult for me, although I do speak a number of languages apart from my mother tongue. It's a pity, but I still wish to remain here!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got a grade F in French at school. Guess I'm classical British, only able to whinge in English and no other language.

I got a grade F in French at school. Guess I'm classical British, only able to whinge in English and no other language.

Well MJP...you didn't fail...you saved the world by being one less French whinger!

lived in europe, africa, india and now thailand. when fed up i'll leave and head to wherever i like it. i have no responsibilities here so can leave any time. loads of pros in thailand and loads of cons, jus like ANYWHERE in the world. visa stuff is easy imo. life is cheapo. food is ok. people are ok. nature is still really nice. politics: no idea, never followed it, never will. and then u die ...

• Like 1

"No matter where you go,their you are".....quote from an old friend who dropped that phrase in my back pocket as I walked out the door to begin my travels,starting with India, in 1988. Been to 30+ countries since then,in my opinion,Thailand is an utterly unique country/culture in the post-colonial and modern post-industrial world we currently live in. A list of attributes would be exhausting to post here. By no means am I alluding to Thailand as being a "paradise",in fact,it remains one of the most dangerous countries in this world.

With Thai-wife and 4yrs.old daughter we follow the sun - 6mons here 6mons on west coast Canada -we gypse around working a small business that endows us with a cruising speed that produces,on average, 9,000baht per.hr, at the same time offering us a sense of adventure,challenge and productivity. On the flip-side we live a quiet and humble natural lifestyle in a hidden valley outside ChiangMai.

Long term plan is to have another kid and continue this ride until retirement then,if finances allow,move back to Canada.

To address the OP's question: take away one's involvements,entrapments & attachments et.. would you live in Thailand,presumedly in a singular context, the answer is NO.

Edited by HaleySabai

I understand your confusion and I would have been confused about this before I started learning Thai. I learned Thai in part to bridge the cultural-linguistic divide but it has mostly made the gap bigger. Now I can speak with an intermediate-advanced level and have conversations on a variety of topics. I can read and write as well. However, many Thai people are not open to speaking Thai with farangs (I really appreciate the ones that are!).

Speaking Thai has made me realize how much Thai people do not accept farangs in their culture especially compared with Latin America. For example, even if a Thai person knows only 5 words in English, he/she will use these words instead of speaking Thai normally... I will still get laughed at as a farang... "farang! farang!" I see how discriminatory Thai people are (I am making a generalization here) and that many Thai people do not really respect foreigners here, what they want is our money. I find Thai people to be quite insincere.

I wish I did not feel this way, but I do. I am presently writing this from Laos and I think the people here are more sincere, open, and genuine... they speak Thai to me in Laos with no problem, just like I am a normal person, how bizarre is that!

I used to live in Latin America (in a variety of countries and cultures including Ecuador, Bolivia, Guatemala, and Argentina) and I found the people much more open, receptive, interesting, and intelligent. Sorry to be negative about Thailand in a sea of so much ThaiVisa negativity, but I call it as I see it.

I have never had that experience with thais and the language thing

The grass is always greener...

It's a great place in your 20s, 30s and 40s (perhaps), but not somewhere to retire.

Au contraire.

It is great place to retire:-

Climate, availabilty of sex (several choices), cost of living, lack of regulation, mai bpen rai attitude, cheap traffic fines, availability of sex (did I mention that), proximity of Cambodia and Laos etc.

You will recognise that all these positives can be negatives for some people.

• Like 1

I traveled quite a bit before I retired, scouting out potential havens. Although Thailand has it's problems (name a country that doesn't) I still find it overall to be a great place to retire. There are many advantages for me that far outweigh the disadvantages. The cost of living is a big one. If I were back in my home country I could barely afford a roof over my head and would probably be surviving on ramen noodles. Here I have a very comfortable life in a virtually crime free environment. Another reason, at least for me, is medical care. In the U.S., Medicare would cover me, but it does not cover U.S. citizens who choose to retire in a foreign country. Here, I have full medical coverage under my wife's government health insurance. Even if I didn't, heath care is very reasonable. Another big reason is the climate. The winters back home were long and brutal. I don't miss them a bit. The only negative thing I have to add, and it's not about Thailand, is the fact that I'm separated by over ten thousand miles from my elderly parents, adult children and grandchildren. Thank heavens for Facebook and cheap international calling rates.

• Like 2

I understand your confusion and I would have been confused about this before I started learning Thai. I learned Thai in part to bridge the cultural-linguistic divide but it has mostly made the gap bigger. Now I can speak with an intermediate-advanced level and have conversations on a variety of topics. I can read and write as well. However, many Thai people are not open to speaking Thai with farangs (I really appreciate the ones that are!).

Speaking Thai has made me realize how much Thai people do not accept farangs in their culture especially compared with Latin America. For example, even if a Thai person knows only 5 words in English, he/she will use these words instead of speaking Thai normally... I will still get laughed at as a farang... "farang! farang!" I see how discriminatory Thai people are (I am making a generalization here) and that many Thai people do not really respect foreigners here, what they want is our money. I find Thai people to be quite insincere.

I wish I did not feel this way, but I do. I am presently writing this from Laos and I think the people here are more sincere, open, and genuine... they speak Thai to me in Laos with no problem, just like I am a normal person, how bizarre is that!

I used to live in Latin America (in a variety of countries and cultures including Ecuador, Bolivia, Guatemala, and Argentina) and I found the people much more open, receptive, interesting, and intelligent. Sorry to be negative about Thailand in a sea of so much ThaiVisa negativity, but I call it as I see it.

I have never had that experience with thais and the language thing

Of course you haven't.

The tinted glasses of yours include built in earplugs.

Thailand is heaven. Thais are perfect. They love us foreigners.

Repeat to fade as usual JD,

Here, I have full medical coverage under my wife's government health insurance. Even if I didn't, heath care is very reasonable.

How is that possible.

I find health insurance the biggest obstacle, because once you get older the premiums skyrocket or they even kick you out at a certain age.

Quality of life anywhere is a balance between the pros and the cons, right?

For me, the pendulum swings way to the pros side living in Thailand. Some of the most important ones are: 1. The attitude of Thai people towards life: generally easy going and appreciative of family, friends, simplicity and compassion for others. That makes Thai people great to be around and, for me at least, makes their priorities 'right'; 2. It is possible to live with reasonable outgoings in Thailand, so you can live the way you want to live and are not constantly worried about how the bills are going to get paid or struggling to find the cash for an unexpected outlay; 3. And despite all the farang claims to the contrary, the Thai 'system' makes it fairly easy to get things done (including in relation to running a business) both in terms of cost and the relatively few restrictive rules compared to other places. Sure, you have to do things 'by the book' sometimes, but if you think that is unique to Thailand, dream on, especially if you live in one of our many nanny states. On balance, Thailand is more like the wild west than the 'developed countries' we might call home, so if you need certainty and order in your life, Thailand is probably not the place for you.

But the reasons I love Thailand are the same ones you could hate it. Major pros for me are cons for some of my farang friends. Before settling in Thailand, I lived in France, Switzerland, the UK and South Africa, and I am convinced that our overall quality of life, anywhere, is more to do with our response to our surroundings than the environment itself. If you see the petty government official making up the rules as frustrating, it will be. If you see it as an opportunity to bend the rules a bit to suit you too, then it won't seem so bad. So the question should not be 'Why Thailand' but 'What can I make of Thailand' or even 'What can I make of where I am right now'. If you think any place will make your life for you, you will always be disappointed.

Once or twice a week I go to a local pool to swim during my lunch break. After 15 years I still always feel the luxury of the the warmth of the sun and the short time I have to relax: things I only associated with vacations and travel when I was growing up in London. I still feel like I have won the lottery and live in paradise. If you are the kind of person who can go with the flow, Thailand is like a dream. If not, stay put.

• Like 2

I came for work. when that finishes I'll go home.

I also came for work.

No family here.

I think when I finish work I will still be based in Thailand.

I know a lot of people who could live anywhere in the world and live here.

I could live in a lot of places and I still think I will probably choose to live here when the time comes to retire.

100% NOT for the climate. Too hot, too wet, too flooded.

Everything else can compete with anywhere else in the world in my opinion.

• Like 1

Here, I have full medical coverage under my wife's government health insurance. Even if I didn't, heath care is very reasonable.

How is that possible.

I find health insurance the biggest obstacle, because once you get older the premiums skyrocket or they even kick you out at a certain age.

I know when you're talking about premiums and age restrictions and I fully agree, they are a major problem. I was speaking more in line of a "cost" comparison between say, a visit to the E.R. in Tland and the same service in the U.S. A recent non life threatening trip to the E.R. in Roi Et cost me 200 baht. The same trip in the states would have been more like 3,000 baht. It really bugs me that my home country basically says if I want medical coverage, I have to be a prisoner of the continental U.S.

I came out here to further my interest in bird-watching. I have found a particular liking to the the brown coloured, short legged varieties mostly native to the north and north-east areas of the Kingdom.

Don't forget the beautiful Double-Breasted Mattress Thrasher.

Mostly nocturnal, but often found in flocks near beach communities.

I spent some time video taping starfish, but that got old.

I came out here to further my interest in bird-watching. I have found a particular liking to the the brown coloured, short legged varieties mostly native to the north and north-east areas of the Kingdom.

No sighting of the lesser spotted tit yet?

Less tit spotted is not necessarily a bad thing. Built for speed, not comfort as they say!

But I suppose that's personal preference at the end of the day...................wink.png

How is that possible.

I know when you're talking about premiums and age restrictions and I fully agree, they are a major problem. I was speaking more in line of a "cost" comparison between say, a visit to the E.R. in Tland and the same service in the U.S. A recent non life threatening trip to the E.R. in Roi Et cost me 200 baht. The same trip in the states would have been more like 3,000 baht. It really bugs me that my home country basically says if I want medical coverage, I have to be a prisoner of the continental U.S.

You are so right. Yesterday I went for my quarterly checkup. In the hospital was an Au Bon Pain playing Italian music while I ate a bagel and sipped espresso. The nurses walked by with short skirts and white high heels and smiled at me. My bill was 500 baht. I would have paid that for the coffee and nurse show but they threw in a couple of doctors for free; lucky me. BTW the doctor was on time and checked everything he was supposed to check. He told me not to eat at Au Bon Pain for a month as I had gained a kilo in the last quarter.

• Like 1

^^^^^ LOL, I know I am far from the only farang who has had this experience learning the language and trying to integrate into the culture.

You can start by using your name or nickname with people not calling yourself a foreigner. clap2.gif

Stay tuned for tomorrow's lesson.

Edited by donniereadit
  • Like 1

^^^^^ LOL, I know I am far from the only farang who has had this experience learning the language and trying to integrate into the culture.

You can start by using your name or nickname with people not calling yourself a foreigner. clap2.gif

Stay tuned for tomorrow's lesson.

I don't understand your post, can you clarify? I'm not being sarcastic here, I really don't understand what your referring to.

I specifically meant "farang" not "foreigner". If you are an Asian looking foreigner, these same issues will not exist.

How is that possible.

How is that possible?

Certain Gov. Depts. have a staff policy that enable spouse and children under 21 to be covered for full medical treatment and dental care. I'm not sure if the staff covered have to be of a certain rank but I do know that I'm covered under this policy as I had to register with the local Gov. hospital showing my marriage certificate and proof of residence. Age is immaterial.

No sighting of the lesser spotted tit yet?

Saw my first brown tit last week.

Lived here and there....and compared to Jamaica this place is paradise. For this region Thailand for me is the best option. Live near Vientiane and go there often....now that is a real dung hole. Sort of like the Tijuana of Mexico.

So yes the weather, the people, easy lifestyle, no big brother atmosphere, moderate cost of living, great place to raise children, not many foreigners (in my area anyways) and good food.

...you seem to be recommending;perhaps you're a person who'd be happy anywhere...?