500 Baht fine for Fake Watch Vendor who stabbed a German on Pattaya Beach

webfact

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One does of course have to be careful as to what the actual events were. Was the 'stabbing' just a scratch or was it more serious requiring stitches or the like? What was the intent if it was just a scratch? That sort of thing.

In this case the guy needed stitches so pretty nasty - and then there is the offence of carrying an knife around - I assume there is a law against that.

Regardless 500 baht for either is a joke and no deterrent and I wonder at the 'justice' system in this country and especially the severity of sentencing between foreigners and Thais. But then it is also pretty apparent that there is an ingrained racism, or maybe xenophobia is a better word, with many Thais and the justice system reflects it unfortunately. This will be an issue for Thais as they integrate with ASEAN but its going to take a while.

Edited by timewilltell

500 baht fine for a violent, armed attack on a 70 year old for an accidental street bump?.

Utter idiocy!

So much for the supposed ingrained Thai respect for elders...

I see this as a disturbing trend; a Thai has a bad day and takes it out on a tourist. Sort of like a badge of honor as in Assult a tourist, pay a small cash fine, and walk away with your head high. This fake watch seller is showing the world that 500 baht means nothing to him, well worth the face he gained among his fellow thugs, not to mention the cop smiling approvingly.

Scary man...

Maybe the Thai respect for elders doesn't include 70 year old foreigners with 20 year old Thai girlfriends??coffee1.gif

Wonder why?

That justifies stabbing him does it? I suppose the girl should be slapped around a bit too?

500 baht fine for a violent, armed attack on a 70 year old for an accidental street bump?.

Utter idiocy!

I see this as a disturbing trend; a Thai has a bad day and takes it out on a tourist. Sort of like a badge of honor as in Assult a tourist, pay a small cash fine, and walk away with your head high. This fake watch seller is showing the world that 500 baht means nothing to him, well worth the face he gained among his fellow thugs, not to mention the cop smiling approvingly.

Scary man...

Maybe they do respect elders but not farangs especially foreign men.

The jealousy (some may say hate) Thai men have for 'farang' is scary. Indeed, most of us have read some of the stories over the years about violence dished out to foreign men sometimes resulting in murder. Even more scary is the fact that some parts of 'authority' even seem to condone it!

• Like 2

Utter idiocy!

Scary man...

Maybe they do respect elders here but not farangs, especially foreign men.

The jealousy (some may say hate) Thai men have for 'farang' is scary. Indeed, most of us have read some of the stories over the years about violence dished out to foreign men sometimes resulting in murder. Even more scary is the fact that some parts of 'authority' even seem to condone it!

Please forward this news report to the respective newspapers in your home country. Let the while world know tht thai criminals can violently attack tourists with IMPUNITY. Let people around the work know that as a foreigner in Thailand, there will be no justice or protection. When people learn the truth about Thailand TOTAL disrespect for foreign nationals, they will think twice about visiting.

• Like 2

Utter idiocy!

Scary man...

Maybe they do respect elders but not farangs especially foreign men.

A country of sum bags

Come on and make my day, you Thai f.......

I have 35 years martial arts experience, so why not come up to me.

I would give him all the anger and punishment he deserves.

That's why I hate this country so much, if a foreigner get caught, he gets a jail term,

but the <deleted>....... Thai walk away with lousy fine.

I had to translate a court judgement, of a case, where a Thai woman shot to an american, he survived,

but she got a 1000 Baht fine on probation. This country is the sh.. of the world.

'This country is the sh.. of the world'

Well according to the latest Thailand tourism TV commercial it's 'The kitchen of the world'.

Maybe the slogan should be 'Pattaya, the toilet of the world' LOL

The report I had heard was that 5 phoney watch sellers jumped him.

Perhaps it was the bump was intentional. The foreigner intentionally bumped him. How bad was the knife wound.

I don't live in Pattaya but I have been there. You all seem to think the foreigners are honest people with loving attitudes towards all Thai's and if there is an altercation it definatly wasn't the loving foreigner who started it. I am sorry to report that was not what I experienced there. Keep on dreaming.

Does not five venders all of a sudden being one not tell you something. Not that it matters it sold the newspaper and that is why it was written to sell news papers. I now rate the Pattaya paper right up there with the Nation. Or should that be right down there with the Nation.

Flame away

Please forward this news report to the respective newspapers in your home country. Let the while world know tht thai criminals can violently attack tourists with IMPUNITY. Let people around the work know that as a foreigner in Thailand, there will be no justice or protection. When people learn the truth about Thailand TOTAL disrespect for foreign nationals, they will think twice about visiting.

Good idea.

Just did.

When Yingbat talks about making Thailand the new hub of ASEAN, this is one of the things that is NEVER mentioned. Thailand needs to spend hundreds of billions of baht reforming both the police, and the judiciary. Perhaps trillions. The Thai legal system is a black hole, that exists deep in space. There is no deterrent. The judges are ignorant, impotent, and completely unwilling to hand out punishment, that is worthy of a crime. They consistently either suspend the sentence, if you have had no prior conviction, give probation, or if they decide on jail time, it never seems to be the appropriate amount of jail time. The Sanitha pub goombah got off recently with no sentence. So many stories of an impotent and compromised judiciary. And the fines. 500 baht? The jet ski mafia thugs when tried, get fined 1,000 baht. After trying to extort 200,000 from a tourist. A 1,000 baht fine. Who do you think is laughing all the way to the bank? All of this, in the country that Yingbat wants to make the HUB. Perhaps a little prep work is in order?

Regardless of the cause the reaction to stab a 70 year old was extreme.

The fine is also extreme - but at the opposite end of the scale.

Thailand should be embarrassed at this.

This is assault, it is attempted manslaughter... the 500 baht fine is no deterrent whatsoever.

The scum of Thai society is being taught that they can act out their tantrums and anger with impunity.

There is no attitude of crime prevention in Thailand - simply a limited reaction.

I wonder when those on the wrong end of crime and attacks will start taking the law into their own hands and seeking their own revenge.

They already do, all the time. Most Thais learned long ago that their legal system does not work, so they usually settle their disputes with a gun or similar instead. The bad guys know this, so they usually think twice before assaulting another Thai. However, they also know that most foreigners stick to the dysfunctional legal system, so they are "free" to assault.

• Like 2

Here is an excert from another article. It does not back up the loving forigner attitude you people pertray here.

PATTAYA: -- A 50-year-old Australian National was arrested in Pattaya, Bang Lamung district, Chonburi Province, after local residents accused him of sexually assaulting his 11-year-old stepdaughter.

Not an uncommon thing to here about Pattaya. As I said I don't live there so my glasses are not rose tinted.

Utter idiocy!

Scary man...

Maybe the Thai respect for elders doesn't include 70 year old foreigners with 20 year old Thai girlfriends??coffee1.gif

Wonder why?

Why are you always making snide remarks, regarding older men having younger wives,g/f. Did you loose a g/f to an older guy and now you cannot get over it?. Or could it be that you are either jealouse of the older men or more likely impotent?.

I lived up country and been to thai wedding and within 4-6 weeks he sends her off to pattaya to work anyway so nothing about jealousy

The report I had heard was that 5 phoney watch sellers jumped him.

Perhaps it was the bump was intentional. The foreigner intentionally bumped him. How bad was the knife wound.

I don't live in Pattaya but I have been there. You all seem to think the foreigners are honest people with loving attitudes towards all Thai's and if there is an altercation it definatly wasn't the loving foreigner who started it. I am sorry to report that was not what I experienced there. Keep on dreaming.

Does not five venders all of a sudden being one not tell you something. Not that it matters it sold the newspaper and that is why it was written to sell news papers. I now rate the Pattaya paper right up there with the Nation. Or should that be right down there with the Nation.

Flame away

Are you not thinking of the other recent incident with a Russian - does not say anything in this report about 5 vendors.....and only one was detained.......

You also seem to be excusing carrying and using a knife even if only to threaten or scratch which......?

Here is an excert from another article. It does not back up the loving forigner attitude you people pertray here.

PATTAYA: -- A 50-year-old Australian National was arrested in Pattaya, Bang Lamung district, Chonburi Province, after local residents accused him of sexually assaulting his 11-year-old stepdaughter.

Not an uncommon thing to here about Pattaya. As I said I don't live there so my glasses are not rose tinted.

Not really related to the story though is it..........whistling.gif

One does of course have to be careful as to what the actual events were. Was the 'stabbing' just a scratch or was it more serious requiring stitches or the like? What was the intent if it was just a scratch? That sort of thing.

Are you serious?

The vendor pulled a knife on the old guy, was his intent to give him a hair-cut.

crazy.gif

• Like 1

its getting more and more common for attacks on foreigners in Thailand, every day some poor thai going about his business is left with no alternative by the farangs behaviour, not paying the ridiculous fare in a cab = death by samurai sword

test a water proof watch by putting it in water= eight thais kicking the shit out of the ruski.

and now this seventy year old Claude van dam on steroids bouncing round the sidewalk and NEARLY knocking the poor twenty year old over= stabbing.

land of smiles do me a favour this place gets worse every year, and the pity is there is no one in authority who cares

every one has their own scam/agenda, and sooner or later the foreigners will discover other lands were they are not

used like target practise by disgruntled locals.

Regardless of the cause the reaction to stab a 70 year old was extreme.

The fine is also extreme - but at the opposite end of the scale.

Thailand should be embarrassed at this.

This is assault, it is attempted manslaughter... the 500 baht fine is no deterrent whatsoever.

The scum of Thai society is being taught that they can act out their tantrums and anger with impunity.

There is no attitude of crime prevention in Thailand - simply a limited reaction.

I wonder when those on the wrong end of crime and attacks will start taking the law into their own hands and seeking their own revenge.

I always wonder if foreingers would get a 500bt fine too. I mean for money like that im pretty sure there are enough who want to beat this guy up.