Diet tips for high blood pressure and cholesterol...

Showbags

The clean 15 are asparagus, avocados, cabbage, cantaloupe, sweet corn, eggplant, grapefruit (but don’t use with blood pressure meds), kiwi, mangoes, mushrooms, onions, papayas, pineapples, sweet peas (frozen), and sweet potatoes. Not a video here http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/summary.php but need to carefully scroll down the page as the list might be hidden behind adds.

I visited the local pharmacy today and they did not have any blood test machines in stock, they sometimes do, but wait a week or 2 they said.

Prices they said start at 2800b to 3500b and the strips, they come in a pack of 25 for circa 500b.

Does this sound accurate or over the top ?

The expensive part is the test strips, all the devices themselves are pretty much the same kind of thing. At 500 baht for 25, that's expensive, that's why I suggested the Codefree product because strips are 770 baht for 50.

The clean 15 are asparagus, avocados, cabbage, cantaloupe, sweet corn, eggplant, grapefruit (but don’t use with blood pressure meds), kiwi, mangoes, mushrooms, onions, papayas, pineapples, sweet peas (frozen), and sweet potatoes. Not a video here http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/summary.php but need to carefully scroll down the page as the list might be hidden behind adds.

The OP is pre-diabetic, pineapple will send his blood glucose levels sky high, I haven't checked everything on your list but most fruits are quite dangerous to diabetics, except a few in smaller quantities, eg. half a cup a day.

Also, the veg you've listed are all good except once again, the issue is Type II Diabetes and blood sugar control, typically root vegetables are quite high in their glycemic value hence they are a poor carbohydrate. The OP needs to check the glycemic tables to see which vegetable on the list is suitable and in what quantity, typically safe veg is limited to leaf vegetables such as brocolli and spinach or similar - papaya and mango from memory are not great.

Edited by chiang mai

I ate a lot of pineapple during the time my Hemoglobin A1c level dropped from 5.5 to 5.2 clearly away from prediabetic. Jeff Novick discusses pineapple and some other foods demonstrating that its one of the foods that is good for you with a high water content, high fiber, high phytonutrients, and low calories per volume of food which satisfies hunger. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6ogG1wEcXo

Edited by ronz28
  • Like 1

Any one know if you can buy a non sweet soy milk?

All the ones I have tried from Tesco are rather sweet, varying sugar quantities etc.

I have come to love natural yoghurt, superb all around.

Just finished making our own Muesli.......

I toasted 2/3rds a bag of oats in a warm frying pan and put the remainder in raw...I like the toasted flavour.

Pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds.

A little chick peas.

Raw almonds and walnuts, more almonds than walnuts.

Bran.

Dried cranberries, apricots cut finely, Sultanas.

All mixed in a big sealed tight container...superb.

Served with chilled milk or soy and several dollops of natural yoghurt.

• Like 1

Any one know if you can buy a non sweet soy milk?

All the ones I have tried from Tesco are rather sweet, varying sugar quantities etc.

I have come to love natural yoghurt, superb all around.

Just finished making our own Muesli.......

I toasted 2/3rds a bag of oats in a warm frying pan and put the remainder in raw...I like the toasted flavour.

Pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds.

A little chick peas.

Raw almonds and walnuts, more almonds than walnuts.

Bran.

Dried cranberries, apricots cut finely, Sultanas.

All mixed in a big sealed tight container...superb.

Served with chilled milk or soy and several dollops of natural yoghurt.

Villa in Pattaya had unsweetened soy milk but I would steer clear of soy as it may affect T levels.

Try rice milk if you want some non dairy type milk

• Like 1

My mother had high BP.

Doc said no way without medication.

She asked if she loose a lot weight and exercise if it would work.

He told yes it would but he don't know one case where an elderly woman could do it.

Well that was 8 years ago.

She is slim and makes some sport almost daily....nothing hard, 1 hour fast walking, ride the bicycle to our other house and back (20 km in total), etc

BP OK...I think she never had Colesterol problems

• Like 1

A bit expensive but worth it for a quality one. Try Boots, might be cheaper. Make sure you get one that is not tied to a particular strip manufacturer( ie an 'unlocked' one) . The strips can be bought cheaply on eBay

Although watch out for expiry dates. I test at least once a day, sometimes twice . I now know exactly what foods will elevate my readings and can avoid them while stil maintain game balanced diet ( for ME those no-go foods include mango, rice , other than a couple of spoons of brown, potato and a few others. I do eat some chocolate....Lindt 99%, consume no liquids with any calories).

I visited the local pharmacy today and they did not have any blood test machines in stock, they sometimes do, but wait a week or 2 they said.

Prices they said start at 2800b to 3500b and the strips, they come in a pack of 25 for circa 500b.

• Like 1

Pineapple is off limits for me other than a once a month treat....spirals my bs level very high. Sad, love it

uote name="ronz28" post="7024289" timestamp="1384137728"]

I ate a lot of pineapple during the time my Hemoglobin A1c level dropped from 5.5 to 5.2 clearly away from prediabetic. Jeff Novick discusses pineapple and some other foods demonstrating that its one of the foods that is good for you with a high water content, high fiber, high phytonutrients, and low calories per volume of food which satisfies hunger. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6ogG1wEcXo

My Hba1c is 5.0 but I am still diabetic and know that any falling off the wagon could take me back to the 13 I was at 3 years ago, at the time of diagnosis

It's not particularly arduous but for me testing of reactions to foods has been an important and worthwhile part of the learning curve. yMMV

• Like 2

The expensive part is the test strips, all the devices themselves are pretty much the same kind of thing. At 500 baht for 25, that's expensive, that's why I suggested the Codefree product because strips are 770 baht for 50.

I know you mentioned it, I tried to find it again...where did you mention which one to buy and how much again?

Someone else mentioned not to buy one that is married to the test strips..ie can only use thier brand as they then charge accordingly.

Do many of them have multi use, or can use different strips in other machines?

Anyone recommend a good hospital in Bangkok or Korat to do blood tests only? and how much if you know?

Might go get it done after 1 month to gauge whats going on, bit late to wait the 3 months only to find out not working or doing the wrong thing.

I paid about 3,000 for one at Boots a couple years ago ( only because I had forgotten to bring mine from home). In addition to the device itself, those who check blood sugar levels regularly need lancets and test strips. Some manufacturers tie their devices to their own strips ( and sell the device cheaply with the intention of recouping and profiting from the sale of strips).

A generic device is sometimes more expensive to buy but has the advantage of lower ongoing costs ( can use any test strips).

However, it may transpire that you don't need any of that....a very routine, simple blood test will provide a reading of blood sugar levels over a period of months ( ie, not just a one-off reading )and that would inform the docs/you about what might or might not be happening. I think it averages the BS level over 6 months, but I could be wrong.

In Bangkok, I use BNH (formerly Bangkok Nursing Hospital) ....very good level of knowledge and care in my experience. Expensive though. But any decent provincial hospital should be able to deal with the preliminary tests.

I am not qualified to give advice but from my own experience ( having ignored symptoms, delayed testing, prevaricated for months) , any combination of elevated BS and blood pressure is not good and needs quick intervention.

• Like 1

Interesting Prbkk about pineapple imact on blood sugar. I will probably reduce my intake of pineapple and replace some with other fruits higher on the phytonutrient scale with lower sugar content like organic apples, blackberries, etc. I guess vegetables are best but I think I need some fruit too for a more complete range of phytonutrients and am not diabetic.

That's great, decreasing hemoblobin A1c from 13 to 5.

I heard that cutting out the macronutrients like meat, eggs, dairy and oils and focusing more on eating the micronutrients from vegetables and fruits would cut my weight & BMI and my body in turn would reduce cholesterol to cut the risk of diabetes, heart disease, etc. while the increased phytonutrients would reduce the risk of cancer & improve overall health & immunity. I think I need to pay attention to micronutrients per calorie. I never learned any of this before hearing this emphasized by a variety of doctors on youtube videos.

I paid about 3,000 for one at Boots a couple years ago ( only because I had forgotten to bring mine from home). In addition to the device itself, those who check blood sugar levels regularly need lancets and test strips. Some manufacturers tie their devices to their own strips ( and sell the device cheaply with the intention of recouping and profiting from the sale of strips).

A generic device is sometimes more expensive to buy but has the advantage of lower ongoing costs ( can use any test strips).

However, it may transpire that you don't need any of that....a very routine, simple blood test will provide a reading of blood sugar levels over a period of months ( ie, not just a one-off reading )and that would inform the docs/you about what might or might not be happening. I think it averages the BS level over 6 months, but I could be wrong.

In Bangkok, I use BNH (formerly Bangkok Nursing Hospital) ....very good level of knowledge and care in my experience. Expensive though. But any decent provincial hospital should be able to deal with the preliminary tests.

I am not qualified to give advice but from my own experience ( having ignored symptoms, delayed testing, prevaricated for months) , any combination of elevated BS and blood pressure is not good and needs quick intervention.

The A1C blood test measures the volume of glycated red blood cells (red blood cells with sugar attached), since red blood cells only live on average for about 90 days the test should be repeated every three months. Note: your AiC results may be incorrect by a margin of up to +/-20% depending on how long your own red blood cells live.

Pineapple is off limits for me other than a once a month treat....spirals my bs level very high. Sad, love it

uote name="ronz28" post="7024289" timestamp="1384137728"]

A year ago when my blood glucose levels were 6.0+% I couldn't go near pineapple, today I'm a steady 5.1% and a couple of slices of pineapple per day are easily tolerated.

Was in Bangkok recently and could not find a blood test machine that did not have its own test strips and only those test strips and they were all circa 600b for the strips for a box of 25.

Went to 4 pharmacies and to the shop in Bumrungrad hospital.

However on a good note, did find a blood pressure machine, good brand apparently...for 2300b, everywhere else was 3000b plus.

Was in Bangkok recently and could not find a blood test machine that did not have its own test strips and only those test strips and they were all circa 600b for the strips for a box of 25.

However on a good note, did find a blood pressure machine, good brand apparently...for 2300b, everywhere else was 3000b plus.

The product you need is the SD Codefree device, test strips are 770 baht for 50, try Fascino's pharmacy for this.

The product you need is the SD Codefree device, test strips are 770 baht for 50, try Fascino's pharmacy for this.

Where is Fascinos if you don't mind....never even heard of that name.

The blood test machine I see everywhere is Acucheck, but them strips will be the killer if you want to test each meal afterwards for a few months.

Just found one in Robinsons in Silom....wonder if they have one in all Robinsosn as new one now closer to us than Bangkok.

Fascino's is a chain of pharmacies that has branches all over Thailand, in CM alone I know of four branches and in Pattaya there are several. Apply for their gold card and get discounts on the test strips, perhaps post and ask in a dedicated thread a request for details of the closest one to where you live, many people will know, alternatively ask a Thai person. No, they are not typically based in Robinsons.

• Like 1

I'll get the missus to call and ask, thanks.

I opened up the blood pressure machine this morning, nice new toy...fun for all the family.

Nice gadget, it records the average if you measure it 3 times within 10 minutes and stores the last 50 recordings, so handy.

Anyway, the BP in my OP at the hospital was from memory 165/105.

Today it was 125/76.....measured it 4 times thus far.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting article and video on Dr. Mercola today about the health benefits of supplementing with an appropriate form of magnesium to keep blood pressure and cholesterol under control, etc. I plan to try some magnesium next time I get to a health food store to buy some but am not sure if the L-threonate is any better than say the sulfate form or just hyped.

Edited by Sheryl
url link to commercail site removed by Moderator

Well happy to be me...thus far anyway.

Lost 5kg in 6 weeks steadily....was 83.5 when at the quaks 6 weeks ago, now today was 78.5kg.

BP was circa 160/100....now with my home measuring machine it is consistently around 125/75.

Have not done the blood sugar and cholesterol yet as that was due for 3 months time.

Have not purchased the blood sugar machine yet either as have not been in the area where the shop is just yet.

But I have recorded every morsel eaten each and every day since starting 6 weeks ago and diet has changed a lot for the better, even though it was not poor beforehand.

So far so good....hope the other tests are as positive.

Good thing is that with slow changes and positive attitude to it all, the diet has changed for the better for good...and I have not eliminated ALL the so called bad foods.

Lost 5kg in 6 weeks steadily....was 83.5 when at the quaks 6 weeks ago, now today was 78.5kg.

BP was circa 160/100....now with my home measuring machine it is consistently around 125/75.

Have not done the blood sugar and cholesterol yet as that was due for 3 months time.

Have not purchased the blood sugar machine yet either as have not been in the area where the shop is just yet.

But I have recorded every morsel eaten each and every day since starting 6 weeks ago and diet has changed a lot for the better, even though it was not poor beforehand.

Good thing is that with slow changes and positive attitude to it all, the diet has changed for the better for good...and I have not eliminated ALL the so called bad foods.

Congratulations. I am hoping to get down to 78kg from 82-83. I am only very slightly overweight (all around the waist) but want to come down a bit just to see if I can get off the blood pressure meds. My bp was around the same as yours 150-160/90

-100 before I started to take medicine. My doctor says that claims that blood pressure increase with age are wrong. He says it increases with bad habits/lifestyle and the longer such lifestyle the worse the blood pressure problems. With a healthy lifestyle, no one, no matter the age (ruling out other medical probelms), should have high blood pressure. Whether this is true or not I do not know - but he is the doctor and I am the layman so who am I to argue.

• Like 1

Congratulations. I am hoping to get down to 78kg from 82-83. I am only very slightly overweight (all around the waist) but want to come down a bit just to see if I can get off the blood pressure meds. My bp was around the same as yours 150-160/90

-100 before I started to take medicine. My doctor says that claims that blood pressure increase with age are wrong. He says it increases with bad habits/lifestyle and the longer such lifestyle the worse the blood pressure problems. With a healthy lifestyle, no one, no matter the age (ruling out other medical probelms), should have high blood pressure. Whether this is true or not I do not know - but he is the doctor and I am the layman so who am I to argue.

To tell the truth, it was easier than I thought would be, the food and eating changes...not the weight loss....the weight loss came as a bonus to the eating and change of diet somewhat.

It entirely depends on your habits now, if you really gorge on junk, you will hate the change most likely, but I was already eating good food, I just changed the ratios, amounts and cut way back on a few items and a little exercise and I mean a little...I hate it for exercise sake.

If you would like a lsit of what I changed and ate over last 6 weeks, just ask and I'll put it together.

To tell the truth, it was easier than I thought would be, the food and eating changes...not the weight loss....the weight loss came as a bonus to the eating and change of diet somewhat.

It entirely depends on your habits now, if you really gorge on junk, you will hate the change most likely, but I was already eating good food, I just changed the ratios, amounts and cut way back on a few items and a little exercise and I mean a little...I hate it for exercise sake.

If you would like a lsit of what I changed and ate over last 6 weeks, just ask and I'll put it together.

I rarely eat what is considered as junk food, eg. pizza, burgers, fried chicken, etc. I eat Thai food 99.9% of the time, but Thai food uses too much sugar and salt. I get on my exercise bike about 3 to 4 times a week for half an hour. But I still cannot lose the kilos. I work in an office so during the week I spend most of my time on my bum. I would be interested to learn what you changed.