Diet tips for high blood pressure and cholesterol...

Showbags

Hoping people can add diet tips here for reducing cholesterol and blood pressure by food and drink alone.

Foods that you can add to your diet to help reduce both and foods that should be cut out to help also.

Also ask questions and any food conscious people may be able to assist.

I got given the results of a blood test recently and have high BP and the Cholesterol levels were all high, especially the bad one.

Told the doc I do not like medication and usually never take it, so would prefer to tackle it by diet alone first and exercise.

She said ok I'll give you 3 months, show me a change at next blood test and you will not have to start medication.

So a change is a coming....I think.

First question...

Does plain natural yoghurt always taste like crap?

Should it be sour or is the tub I am eating off?

Should cheese be completely cut out of the diet, or is it ok in small doses still?

What else should be excluded?

We already do not add sugar and salt to anything home cooked or when eating out if possible.

We eat brown rice only.

We do not drink sodas or other rich sugary drinks such as ice teas or processed fruit juices.

I drink alcohol very little, maybe once every 2-3 months currently.

We eat bread, but usually only whole wheat or multigrain type breads.

Lots of vegetables and I guess a fair amount of meats, but also fish.

We are changing the way we cook and trying no more oils or at least find the ones that are ok to cook with.

Your diet seems very healthy so it's difficult to know what to add, salt, refined carbs and anything with sugar in it are the first things I excluded from my diet. What I added back in was oatmeal for breakfast and this does an excellent job of helping to lower cholesterol.

Yes plain yogurt tastes like crap, try adding some fruit to it to change the taste.

Spinach is great for many aspects of a diet, helps keep blood sugar low and is generally good all round.

Using olive oil for frying works very well, perhaps give it a try.

Cheese is protein and small amounts of hard cheese are allowed in most diets.

Just wondering how is your weight and what exercise you do, those could be parts of the jigsaw - 45 minutes a day for four days a week on the running machine will get your numbers down, trust me smile.png.

Alcohol is really bad for cholesterol, it raises the triglyceride levels so best left alone.

Dietary cholesterol comes in many forms, chicken is a big offender, lean grades of pork are a better option.

EDIT:

Afterthought: I have a cardiac stent and I'm a well managed Type II diabnetic so diet, weight, blood test results are very important to me. I found a year ago that keeping a log of what I eat every day, my weight and BP is really useful, it allows me to experiment and makes changes to my lifestyle/diet and to see the results in near real time. I also test my blood monthly for lipids, blood glucose, renal and liver function and pretty soon you'll begin to see what works and what doesn't. Currently my numbers are about as near perfect as anyone of any age could wish for and my diet is clean of any unecessary foods.

Edited by chiang mai
  • Like 1

Your diet seems very healthy so it's difficult to know what to add, salt, refined carbs and anything with sugar in it are the first things I excluded from my diet. What I added back in was oatmeal for breakfast and this does an excellent job of helping to lower cholesterol.

Yes plain yogurt tastes like crap, try adding some fruit to it to change the taste.

Spinach is great for many aspects of a diet, helps keep blood sugar low and is generally good all round.

Using olive oil for frying works very well, perhaps give it a try.

Cheese is protein and small amounts of hard cheese are allowed in most diets.

Just wondering how is your weight and what exercise you do, those could be parts of the jigsaw - 45 minutes a day for four days a week on the running machine will get your numbers down, trust me smile.png.

Alcohol is really bad for cholesterol, it raises the triglyceride levels so best left alone.

Dietary cholesterol comes in many forms, chicken is a big offender, lean grades of pork are a better option.

Yeah, this is one of the confusing things to me. I do not eat much junk food at all, no MacDonalds to speak of, maybe twice a year etc and less of any other rubbish, a donut maybe 4 times a year etc.

Oatmeal is a good idea, might switch from toast to this each morning for a while.

I like dried fruits, so can add to it dried sultanas, cranberries and whole raw almonds as well as the yoghurt and fresh bananas or kiwi.

Spinach we tend to already it quite regularly.

I know olive oil is supposed to be good, wondering what else is out there.

As for my weight, not too bad, little bit over but not much. I am 180cm tall and 83 kilo's.

Exercise is the big let down, I hate doing it for exercise sake, it bores me to tears and I cannot edoing it for long periods and consistently. Riding a bike is about the only thing I can tolerate and even then after a few days I am bored.

Alcohol is already low, no beer and when I do drink it is either gin and tonic or whiskey and soda. But those times are few and far between. As example, last drink was 1 g&T 3 weeks ago, before that was maybe 3 months and 2 drinks etc. Last big night was in March.

Chicken, yes we do eat a lot of chicken.

Unfortunately this can be a mine field. There is so much conflucting information about what is or is not "good for you". I woukd suggest to read some of the countless internet articles and try what seems right, test it yourself for a period of time and evaluate it. What works for one lifestyle is not necessarily going to work for another as there are many contributing factors.

Certainly it can be stated diet and regular exercise, but exactly what diet is an individual choice and what works for you.

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 1

Maybe try shavings 3 kilo's off the wieght and see what changes?

Sympathies on the exercise, really. If you can get past the first three weeks fo say fast walking four times a week, it'll come more naturally and you'll actually start to enjoy it.

Perhaps take a look at the glycemic index and look at your different food types, you're not diabetic but eating a lower glycemic diet will aid both cholesterol and BP, here's one such site: http://www.glycemicindex.com/ Also, something that came asa shock to me was the amount of sugar in fruit (I'm a slow learner), watch out for things like banana's and pinmeapple, they sound healthy, but, only in moderation.

^^ how much does that blood test cost, the one I had recently was for blood sugare and cholesterol and cost 2600b.

Does it cost more for the liver and kidney functions as they did ask if I wanted them included but declined.

My blood tests at the hospital here in CM cost me 1,200 a month, lipids, liver, renal, blood glucose and A1C, no doctors consultation, just tests.

^^ how much does that blood test cost, the one I had recently was for blood sugare and cholesterol and cost 2600b.

Does it cost more for the liver and kidney functions as they did ask if I wanted them included but declined.

WOW ! I just had a cholesterol and blood sugar for 250 baht, 6 months ago a full medical exam, ECG, X ray, ultra sound, full blood work up and consultation was 2000 baht.

I Guess prices vary alot .

Edited by CharlieH

WOW ! I just had a cholesterol and blood sugar for 250 baht, 6 months ago a full medical exam, ECG, X ray, ultra sound, full blood work up and consultation was 2000 baht.

I Guess prices vary alot .

They do and I did not have much choice to not go to this particular hospital as I do not wish to go to any of the Thai ones. But it is Bkk Hospital and renowned for shagging you at bill time. I knew it was coming, so less painful when expected. But if I was to get it done more frequently I would like to find somewhere else to do it.

Try taking Kyolic aged agarlic extract two caps three times a day and I would also take either flaxseed or fish oil as well along with dietary adjustments lose weight exercise more.

And buy your self a good blood pressure monitor because one off tests done by doctors may not be indicative of true blood pressure levels.

• Like 1

And buy your self a good blood pressure monitor because one off tests done by doctors may not be indicative of true blood pressure levels.

Very very true, when I test at home I'm always around 124/75, in a doctors office or a hospital I'm always north of 145/x, often substantially so.

• Like 1

Very very true, when I test at home I'm always around 124/75, in a doctors office or a hospital I'm always north of 145/x, often substantially so.

Nice to know

I have been recording the level each time I see a doc for any reason and even at Rutnin eye doc the other week they take it, they take it anywhere they can here. So it is a good opportunity to record it.

I have been floating around 150/high 90's for some time. But a good example was just prior to a recent operation when you would be expected to be high and anxious I was 150/100 and then 15 minutes later it was 140/90.

Anyway, here is a website re GI and after reading through it, I can say that I am already making the majority of right choices, maybe not for years and maybe not consistently, but certainly this year and more consistent than not for sure.

http://www.gisymbol.com/top-tips-to-go-low-gi/

One thing I was please to see, I love potatoes, in any way shape or form and I had only just recently found the real sweet potato, the white one that when cooked turns yellow. I have always seen the purple one, but not so taken with those. So reading that sweet potato is a great swap for normal potato is good.

Unfortunately we cannot get different varieties of potato here so that choice is out.

My last tip then I'm done:

Re: blood tests: the tests we're talking about here are standard stuff hence any lab will be able to do them - my approach to testing was to find a local hospital nearby and to ask for tests only, no consultation, the first time around the nurse asked me what I was going to do with the results and I told her I would fax them to my doctor back in Europe, she was fine with that and ever since it's been a very straight forward process. I see my cardio and my endocrinologist about once every six months and I take aliong my test results for them to review and during the interim I'm smart enough to be able to tell if the numbers are about right or if there's a problem developing, in which case visits can be brought forward,

• Like 1

Also wondering for breakfast if soy milk is a good swap for normal milk considering soy milk tastes sweeter, not sure if there is a plain version of soy, but we also have to work with what we can get locally and the tesco various soys, even plain one, is somewhat sweeter than normal milk.

A breakfast example I have very intermittently as like my toast and vegemite too much, but would be able to quite easily swap to it for say 5 breakfasts a week and that is....muesli, dried sultanas, cranberries, raw almonds, 1 dried date, soy milk or normal milk, a splash of honey if normal milk and some fresh fruit that we have on hand, usually only one of either apple, kiwi, grapes or such and a few tablespoons of natural yoghurt.

Wondering if the addition of homey is too much and/or the date as the date or the sultanas and cranberried can be enough alone to sweeten it up.

Also wondering for breakfast if soy milk is a good swap for normal milk considering soy milk tastes sweeter, not sure if there is a plain version of soy, but we also have to work with what we can get locally and the tesco various soys, even plain one, is somewhat sweeter than normal milk.

A breakfast example I have very intermittently as like my toast and vegemite too much, but would be able to quite easily swap to it for say 5 breakfasts a week and that is....muesli, dried sultanas, cranberries, raw almonds, 1 dried date, soy milk or normal milk, a splash of honey if normal milk and some fresh fruit that we have on hand, usually only one of either apple, kiwi, grapes or such and a few tablespoons of natural yoghurt.

Wondering if the addition of homey is too much and/or the date as the date or the sultanas and cranberried can be enough alone to sweeten it up.

I can't answer the soy question, I'm OK with small amounts of milk.

Breakfast for me is half a cup of Quick Oats oatmeal (dry) plus one cup of full fat milk, microwaved for 90 seconds. To that I add two teaspoonfulls of ground flax seed. The second part of breakfast is a half cup of blueberries/raspberries along with two tablespoons of plain yogurt, all of that yields 420 calories with a good balance between protein, carbs and fat.

My alternate favorite breakfast is a spinach omlette.

I had to dump Meusili because I couldn't find any that was low in added sugar but I understand the stuff does exist.

Dates are high in sugar hence a no go for me, ditto prunes, sad really.

Probably best to play around with options, see what you like and see what has an impact on the numbers.

But there's no ducking the exercise, sorry:)

• Like 2

BP = lose weight if needed, exercise regularly and minimize sodium intake (no added salt, and avoid processed foods)

Note that even with this, some people -- many in fact, especially among the over 5 crowd -- cannot maintain a healthy BP without medication.

Cholesterol = would help to know exactly what you HDL and LDL levels were 9total cholesterol is not meaningful). Avopid all fried foods at the market/restaurants (they use the worst kind of oil) and use only healthy oils at home (canola, olive, sunflower etc). Take in as much fiber as you can. Keep red meat to a minimum, ditto cheese. Avoid processed carbs but it sounds like you already do. Fish oil supplements.

Cholesterol was 253, triglycerides 181 and direct LDL same 181.

Blood was 109 for the fasting blood sugar test.

We have very little salt, basically we do not use it at home and we only eat what is already in bought foods.

Ouch, those are not good numbers at all plus, you are pre-diabetic!

At age 63 my numbers are: cholesterol = 123 (was 200+), Trigly: = 84 (was 413 at one point), LDL = 63 (was 102), blood glucose = 96 (was 160).

My medications include 5mg Crestor (down from 30mg two years ago) plus 300 mg asprin.

You've got some work to do, now!

• Like 1

Given that your numbers are what they are, I'm going to leave it to the moderator Sheryl to give you advice regarding cholesterol and triglycerides, if Sheryl doesn't respond I suggest you send her a note and ask for her guidance.

But I can help regarding blood glucose levels and your starting point is to read the diabetics bible found here:

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/index.php

You'll see from reading through that site that you are pre-diabetic, it's an optimum time to take action to offset the effects of diabetes but it will take some effort on your part. Your starting point is that you will need to loose weight, potentially up to 10% of your body weight, if you do that and you restrict your diet of all processed carbs and sugars you have an excellent chance of reversing all the SYMPTOMS of diabetes although the disease itself cannot be reversed at this time.

• Like 1

Can you share any details re: a typical day's set of meals, both content and preparation? Do you prepare your own meals?

Try to reduce intake by 25%.

What is your height/weight?

I'd avoid caffeine, tobacco, get as much exercise as your body can manage; swimming may be the best option for any with ailments.

Same here-- but even at hospital, I can range from 125/75 to 149/90. I saw one guy they had to test three times, his best 202/110, Yipes!

• Like 1

Can you share any details re: a typical day's set of meals, both content and preparation? Do you prepare your own meals?

Try to reduce intake by 25%.

What is your height/weight?

I'd avoid caffeine, tobacco, get as much exercise as your body can manage; swimming may be the best option for any with ailments.

My height is 180cm and weight is 83kg.

I do not drink much coffee, maybe twice a week, some weeks none.

Do not smoke, never have.

Exercise is my main issue as it bores me incredibly.

As for what I eat, well I have made a dramatic change this week and intend to stick by it for the 3 months and see how it changes things.

But prior to this change it was toast and vegemite for breakfast and black tea. Lunch I would normally just have a snack or a sandwich when kids home on weekends, noodles sometimes, snack is usually dried biscuits and cheese and tomatoes. Dinner usually Thai, white rice and whatever the missus cooks up which is always great food.

I do not drink alcohol unless out and thats maybe once a month at most. I drink water, ribena or fruit juice, but not the processed box ones, nor any sodas such as pepsi or coke etc.

Now though and as an example, yesterdays meals were...Breakfast muesli with dried raisins, dried cranberries, raw almonds, flax seed, barley, fresh apple and kiwi, soy milk and 2 spoons of natural yoghurt..... Lunch was 3 dried biscuits with cheese and vegemite....Dinner was the very dark brown rice, and several vegies in a stir fry using olive oil, no meat.....snacks during the day was an apple and an orange.....drinks were water and 2 teas......exercise was a bike ride, nothing huge.

Dinner tonight is bbq' salmon steak and salad.

Given that your numbers are what they are, I'm going to leave it to the moderator Sheryl to give you advice regarding cholesterol and triglycerides, if Sheryl doesn't respond I suggest you send her a note and ask for her guidance.

But I can help regarding blood glucose levels and your starting point is to read the diabetics bible found here:

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/index.php

You'll see from reading through that site that you are pre-diabetic, it's an optimum time to take action to offset the effects of diabetes but it will take some effort on your part. Your starting point is that you will need to loose weight, potentially up to 10% of your body weight, if you do that and you restrict your diet of all processed carbs and sugars you have an excellent chance of reversing all the SYMPTOMS of diabetes although the disease itself cannot be reversed at this time.

Tanks, shall have a read.

Thing is I thought this kind of stuff was for big fat bastards and such, I am not a big fat bastard, maybe just the latter.

So when we have cut out all salt and sugar in our diet some time ago and we do not eat junk, then I am left somewhat dumbfounded as to how I got it.....maybe that site shall provide the answer, I shall go read.

Exercise, exercise, exercise!

Start the day with a blueberry and strawberry smoothie + any other fruit.

Stick with chicken, fish and loads of veggies.

Oats, brown rice, red yeast rice is good.

What a lot of people overlook is their HDL on the lipid profile, it is very important to get this as high as you can,

When it comes to HDL cholesterol, aim for a higher number.

At risk Men Less than 40 mg/dL (1.0 mmol/L) aim for 60 mg/dL (1.6 mmol/L) or above
Women Less than 50 mg/dL (1.3 mmol/L) aim for 60 mg/dL (1.6 mmol/L) or above

If your HDL cholesterol level falls between the at-risk and desirable levels, you should keep trying to increase your HDL level to reduce your risk of heart disease.

Foods that increase HDL are, Nuts, salmon, mackerel, tuna. Olive oil, Avocados, Oatmeal.

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 1