Red shirts feel betrayed: Amnesty push turns anger against Thaksin and Pheu Thai

webfact

Red shirts feel betrayed
Pravit Rojanaphruk,
Jeerapong Prasertpolkrung,
Samudcha Hoonsara
The Nation

30218535-01_big.jpg

Pre-dawn amnesty push turns anger against Thaksin and Pheu Thai

BANGKOK: -- FOUR RED-SHIRT Pheu Thai MPs, including Weng Tojirakarn, abstained from voting for the controversial amnesty bill yesterday.

Red-shirt MP Korkaew Pikulthong, however, did vote in support of the bill. He later posted a message on his Facebook account saying he had voted as a Pheu Thai MP and not as a red-shirt co-leader.

"Out of respect for the voice of the majority, I have never opposed the opinion of the majority as a red-shirt co-leader whenever there's a resolution, even if I may personally disagree … To red-shirt brothers and sisters who are upset with me, you can criticise or curse me as much as you like and I accept it and would like to apologise for having a different opinion on the matter. But this is my frank confession."

A highly placed source said former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra might decide it is time to break with the so-called progressive red shirts who oppose the lese majeste law as they have become a liability in the reconciliation process with the traditional elite.

The source also said Thaksin felt the relatives of those killed in 2010 had already received Bt7.5 million each and some red-shirt co-leaders had become MPs or been appointed to other government positions.

In a special session of the House of Representatives, lawmakers voted 310:0 to pass the third reading of the bill early yesterday. Four Pheu Thai MPs - Nuttawut Saikuar, Weng Tojirakarn, Worachai Hema and Khattiya Sawasdipol - abstained from the vote.

Seven Pheu Thai MPs who are also red-shirt leaders voted in support of the amnesty bill. They are Korkaew Pikulthong, Cherdchai Tontisirin, Apiwan Wiriyachai, Wiphuthalang Phattanaphumthai, Phayap Punket, Shinawatra Haboonpad and Prasit Chaisisa.

All of them are party-list MPs, except Prasit, who is a Surin MP.

Meanwhile 29 of 33 opposition Bhum Jai Thai Party MPs voted in support of the amnesty bill. They included Chai Chidchob, Jakrawal Chaiwiratkul, and Sopon Saram. The four other MPs abstained.

In a related development, relatives of those killed in the April-May 2010 crackdown and the so-called progressive wing of the red shirts reacted with a sense of betrayal and deep anger against the party and ousted and convicted former prime minister Thaksin.

Phayaw Akkahad, mother of slain nurse Kamolkaed Akkahad, said she felt betrayed by Thaksin but vowed to fight on until those responsible are brought to justice.

"What Thaksin did today was an act of betrayal against the people. Thaksin became ungrateful to the 15 million people who voted for him," said Phayaw, sounding noticeably upset. She said she and other relatives of those killed in 2010 would soon call a press conference, and insisted that she would not give up calling for the end to the immunity even if she had to fight alone.

A group of 20 red-shirt university students led by Panitan Prueksakasemsuk, son of lese majeste convict Somyos Prueksakasemsuk and a senior law student at Thammasat University, staged a protest in front of the Pheu Thai Party headquarters. Organising a play mocking Thaksin under the title "Stepping on Dead Bodies to Return Home", Panitan told The Nation that his feelings towards Thaksin had changed and the development demonstrated that most politicians cannot be trusted.

The red-shirt movement, said Panitan, is now divided over the issue, but the blame must be placed squarely on Thaksin and the Pheu Thai Party and not on those who oppose the blanket amnesty, he stressed.

Sombat Boonngam-anong, Red Sunday group leader, said he would try to muster 10,000 red shirts on November 10 to demonstrate against the bill. Sombat acknowledged that there was nothing opponents of the bill could do to stop the parliamentary process but added that the red-shirt movement must reform itself.

Sombat said that perhaps Thaksin knew something that the public at large did not. Some red shirts have speculated that a deal had already been struck by the elite on both sides of the political divide to ensure immunity and exoneration for all key figures.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-02

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If everyone votes out of respect for the majority, it means the first person decides how everyone votes.

Maybe if everyone voted how they wanted, or particularly for an MP, how the people who voted for them wanted, then maybe the majority would actually vote differently.

• Like 2

It's a Nation article! - the media division of the democratic party so who knows just how real this is. I feel like I am living in the land of Fox News no matter what where in the world I go

It it real, would be nice but is it just a puff peice for the faithful? Time will tell

• Like 2

"Out of respect for the voice of the majority, I have never opposed the opinion of the majority as a red-shirt co-leader whenever there's a resolution, even if I may personally disagree To red-shirt brothers and sisters who are upset with me, you can criticise or curse me as much as you like and I accept it and would like to apologise for having a different opinion on the matter. But this is my frank confession."

What a stupid philosophy. That's the way people who don't really care choose how to vote. If you really have an opinion, then have your say and vote the way YOU want. That's what democracy is about.

True. Doesn't seem there was very much 'democracy' about it. 310-0 and Thaksin at the wheel. Stuff the supporters, stuff the dead and families, stuff opinion.
  • Like 2

It's a Nation article! - the media division of the democratic party so who knows just how real this is. I feel like I am living in the land of Fox News no matter what where in the world I go

It it real, would be nice but is it just a puff peice for the faithful? Time will tell

Red shirts pouring blood at PTP head quarters would indicate that it is real.

• Like 2

Sombat said that perhaps Thaksin knew something that the public at large did not. Some red shirts have speculated that a deal had already been struck by the elite on both sides of the political divide to ensure immunity and exoneration for all key figures.

Does anyone remember the deal Thaksin made with Prem where he sold out the redshirts for support and vowed to keep to keep the lese majeste in exchange for non interferance? He even sent his sister to seal the deal.

Yingluck was at his house yesterday taking flowers for his birthday. While there Prem called on the military to support Prime Minister and Defence Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

Edited by waza
  • Like 1

"Sombat Boonngam-anong, Red Sunday group leader, said he would try to muster 10,000 red shirts on November 10 to demonstrate against the bill. Sombat acknowledged that there was nothing opponents of the bill could do to stop the parliamentary process but added that the red-shirt movement must reform itself."

Getting 20,000 stormtroopers to rally against something you can't changes? Doing the same old thing while stating you need to reform? Now, that is red shirt philosophy 101. Stupid, reactionary, potentially violent, and contradictory. At least some things never change.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

"Sombat Boonngam-anong, Red Sunday group leader, said he would try to muster 10,000 red shirts on November 10 to demonstrate against the bill. Sombat acknowledged that there was nothing opponents of the bill could do to stop the parliamentary process but added that the red-shirt movement must reform itself."

Getting 20,000 stormtroopers to rally against something you can't changes? Doing the same old thing while stating you need to reform? Now, that is red shirt philosophy 101. Stupid, reactionary, potentially violent, and contradictory. At least some things never change.

Just because you can't "stop the parliamentary process" doesn't mean that you can't make your feelings known.

• Like 1

One good thing about this Amnesty bill is that a lot Red Shirts will be leaving all support they had for Thaksin and will be joining the protesters against Amnesty.

Would like to see a poll on the popularity of the PTP after all this betrayal.

• Like 2

One good thing about this Amnesty bill is that a lot Red Shirts will be leaving all support they had for Thaksin and will be joining the protesters against Amnesty.

Would like to see a poll on the popularity of the PTP after all this betrayal.

I agree.

It will be through the floor. Let's see if Yinguck will want a snap election after this. What with all this drama, and the economy and inflation etc....

To red-shirt brothers and sisters who are upset with me, you can criticise or curse me as much as you like and I accept it and would like to apologise for having a different opinion on the matter. But this is my frank confession."

He knows which side his bread is buttered on and he knows once the amnesty is law the redshirts will no longer have a use.

Well he'll certainly need them at the next election - that last win with 35% voting for PTP will look like a distant dream. There's no way he has this kind of support any more. That's even if he is still around for the next election. There are a lot of angry people, including disgruntled reds and business people. How can he be protected 24/7 for the rest of his life? He better watch his back.

• Like 1

"Out of respect for the voice of the majority, I have never opposed the opinion of the majority as a red-shirt co-leader whenever there's a resolution, even if I may personally disagree To red-shirt brothers and sisters who are upset with me, you can criticise or curse me as much as you like and I accept it and would like to apologise for having a different opinion on the matter. But this is my frank confession."

What a stupid philosophy. That's the way people who don't really care choose how to vote. If you really have an opinion, then have your say and vote the way YOU want. That's what democracy is about.

Ahhh. Expediency and betrayal. Thai politics.

2 year olds could give more reasoned logic.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 2

Red-shirt MP Korkaew Pikulthong....another one to sell his soul to the Devil! I think his willingness to always 'agree with the majority' will come back to haunt him...sometime soon! Interesting how all the party list MP's side with Thaksin whilst those that need the crowd try and side with them by abstaining. I can't get that song out of my head, the one that goes 'Lord won't you send me a Mercedes Benz', but replaced with 'Lord won't you send me a Military Coup', then again I guess we won't be needing a coup now PTP have done such a great job of crapping on their support base that they should be out by popular demand soon.

• Like 2

Would be interested to see what the minority of the Red-Shirt/Thaksin supporters on here, now think. We've been telling them for ages that he doesn't give one hoot about the people, just his own power and self.

So far the reaction has been denial and/or blaming the Democrats.

It was never about the Reds and if they believe otherwise they're more stupid than everyone already thinks.

But seriously saai.gif , c'mon, it is time for Muang Thai to move on from this. Lets get him over so the nice chap can set those crosshairs... best for all concerned.

Red shirts feel betrayed

Poor babies should have used their brains for once. Might start a new trend . . . independent thinking, critical analysis etc . . . or maybe not, they'll just grab the next 500 baht offered to them. Sheep.

• Like 2

They won't feel betrayed for long. The next big shot who comes along and shouts, "I'll make you all rich like me!" will become their leader. And they'll be back to their familiar antics: building barricades in Bkk, burning buildings, harassing free-thinkers, demanding more taxpayer hand-outs, and such.

• Like 2

Would be interested to see what the minority of the Red-Shirt/Thaksin supporters on here, now think. We've been telling them for ages that he doesn't give one hoot about the people, just his own power and self.

They have smelly brown stuff all over there face now, heheheheh so sad too bad there number one man has let them down

Still a lot of brainwashed up in Issan who will support him whatever.

Mrs was visiting a friend the other day who has just got back from visiting her rellies in Issan and told of visiting two of her elderly aunts who live in a broken down old shack.

Said the two were sitting outside in the dirt telling her how sorry they felt for Thaksin for all the bad things that had been done to him.

That's right, two old dears without even a chair to sit on feeling sorry for a multi billionaire flying around the world in his private jet.

• Like 1