Outrageous Double Pricing in Thailand!

Stradavarius37

As a regular visitor to the Samprhan Elephant and Crocodile Zoo I feel that I do have to wade in here and poke a few holes in the OP's story. The actual foreign price is a whopping 600 baht which is outrageous for what it is. I think that the OP totally misunderstand the situation. As said I regularly visit as I have 2 young children and I have never been charged or asked to pay the foreign price once I have produced my Thai driving licence.There is of course a price difference between an adult ticket and a child ticket which was the extra fifty baht the OP was asked to pay. So whilst not defending dual pricing as it is unfair I did feel the need to say that the Samphran Elephant zoo does accept a Thai driving licence . Hate to burst the OP's moral stance but 50 baht really?

Edited by Crill

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you know there are countries that encourage foreigner participation...by giving the foreigner 50% off the regular price in such venues...

This country shows it's true colors in such instances...Pattaya Park is another example...charges foreigner twice the price...

This line of thinking will come back to bite this country in the butt one day...

Thought "hong nam" was bathroom?, and you ruined your sons day out and time spent with his Dad for 50 baht?

I understand it was the principal for you, but for 50 baht I would rather have enjoyed the time with my son, sorry but thats my view.

I understand both side of this argument. I am a wildlife photographer/environmental filmmaker based in Cambodia with a Thai wife and son. I flatly refuse to take them/him to Thai national parks because of the outrageous double pricing and so avoid disappointing my son. Had I gone to the elephant place with my son I would have sucked it up but made my feelings clear and not ruined my boys day out. I am very much looking forward to taking my son into the Cambodian jungle this December... and it won't cost a penny in fees. They do have double pricing here but as it's such a poverty stricken country I feel it is at least slightly more reasonable, also while it is more it is not 10 times the price for foreigners as it is in Thailand.

once again, some people on TV actually think (hope?!) the thai people and thai authorities and ALL potential tourists read this site which seems dominated by bitter, dominant, frustrated western males with too much time and too little brain. well, once again: they dont! i'm sure there is not ONE tourist who canceled his holiday after reading something on TV. and the thai government, they couldn't care less. it's pathetic behaviour on this site that proves that thailand is not the hub of scammers but the hub of little complainers and whiners.

Thought "hong nam" was bathroom?, and you ruined your sons day out and time spent with his Dad for 50 baht?

I understand it was the principal for you, but for 50 baht I would rather have enjoyed the time with my son, sorry but thats my view.

I understand both side of this argument. I am a wildlife photographer/environmental filmmaker based in Cambodia with a Thai wife and son. I flatly refuse to take them/him to Thai national parks because of the outrageous double pricing and so avoid disappointing my son. Had I gone to the elephant place with my son I would have sucked it up but made my feelings clear and not ruined my boys day out. I am very much looking forward to taking my son into the Cambodian jungle this December... and it won't cost a penny in fees. They do have double pricing here but as it's such a poverty stricken country I feel it is at least slightly more reasonable, also while it is more it is not 10 times the price for foreigners as it is in Thailand.

i dont think the land-mines and booby traps are that fussy either

so you have a new merc. is that the real point of your post. i suppose if more people would spoil their seven year old kids day for the sake of 50 baht - knowing full well that thailand has a dual pricing issue - then they may also be able to afford new mercs :)

oh, sorry i forgot it was a principle issue - pffft

so you have a new merc. is that the real point of your post. i suppose if more people would spoil their seven year old kids day for the sake of 50 baht - knowing full well that thailand has a dual pricing issue - then they may also be able to afford new mercs smile.png

oh, sorry i forgot it was a principle issue - pffft

that wasn't the point of his post....555. But you were.

Just get used to it.

It is the way it is here..

This pricing is based on the assumption that farangs get a better hourly wage than thai people.

And rightly so....

Too right - you come from a place where the minimum wage is TB300 an hour to a place where the minimum wage is TB300 a day !

Therefore there's nothing wrong with you paying 8 times the Thai rate smile.png

Everything in Thailand is cheap by comparison - the only expensive item is the airfare here and back !

I have just returned from visiting friends in the UK, Canada and the USA - I was shocked at the prices !

I know where I'd rather live smile.png especially with a Siberian winter approaching !

Edited by Papadragon

I know that the OP was a joke, but:-

Just get used to it.

This pricing is based on the assumption that farangs get a better hourly wage than thai people.

And rightly so....

but wouldnt that be called racism in any western country?

My daughter, a British citizen, is at university. She has a friend there who is a foreign student.

My daughter pays one set of tuition fees and gets an interest free loan from the government to pay them.

Her friend has to pay much higher tuition fees and fund them from his own resources.

Do you consider that racist?

Just get used to it.

And rightly so....

My daughter, a British citizen, is at university. She has a friend there who is a foreign student.

My daughter pays one set of tuition fees and gets an interest free loan from the government to pay them.

Her friend has to pay much higher tuition fees and fund them from his own resources.

There's no such thing as racism in Thailand - you're either Thai or you're an Alien

Race doesn't come into it :)

• Like 1

Just get used to it.

And rightly so....

no not at all as your daughter is a british national. but if the foreign student had to pay more to get in to a museum or zoo then i would consider that racist. i bet the foreign student could by a house in their own name and wouldnt be automaticaly to blame if they had a road accident and would be able to gain british nationality if they married a british national.

obviously it is fair that the government does not provide interest free loans for foreigners. not giving interest free money is hardly the same as over pricing because of race - is it?

Edited by jonesthebaker

I might be out there but Classical Music fans tend not to Troll ... whistling.gif

thats a racist comment. and you hold youself up as a reasonable judge indeed,passifier.gif

Welcome back b0nkr ... I hope indeed your tenure here is a little longer this time.

• Like 1

This one's a classic! The Thai font reads 3-baht. Would you choose, to crap your pants?

Drop a log on the ground? Pay the 2-baht overcharge?

IMG_1823_toilet.jpg

hmm thats a tricky one. perhaps crap on the floor inside the toilet to make them earn the extra 2 baht. perhaps they know all about farang already:0

I might be out there but Classical Music fans tend not to Troll ... whistling.gif

thats a racist comment. and you hold youself up as a reasonable judge indeed,passifier.gif

Welcome back b0nkr ... I hope indeed your tenure here is a little longer this time.

pardon me? have i usurped someone?

Just get used to it.

And rightly so....

no not at all as your daughter is a british national. but if the foreign student had to pay more to get in to a museum or zoo then i would consider that racist. i bet the foreign student could by a house in their own name and wouldnt be automaticaly to blame if they had a road accident and would be able to gain british nationality if they married a british national.

obviously it is fair that the government does not provide interest free loans for foreigners. not giving interest free money is hardly the same as over pricing because of race - is it?

So you think it's OK for my daughter to pay less than half the tuition fees of her foreign friend because she is British and he isn't; but you consider having to pay a few baht more to use a toilet or enter an amusement park in Thailand to be racist.

How odd.

Not really relevant to this topic; but:-

Thailand is not the only country where foreigners cannot own land. Non Americans buying land in the USA is not as simple and straightforward as it is for Americans.

I have not, fortunately, myself been involved in an RTA in Thailand, but a friend of mine has. It was the Thai driver who was held to be at fault and prosecuted by the police, not my English friend. What happened in your case?

It is possible for a Brit married to a Thai to gain Thai nationality. Not as easy as the other way round, I'll grant you; but possible.

This one's a classic! The Thai font reads 3-baht. Would you choose, to crap your pants?

Drop a log on the ground? Pay the 2-baht overcharge?

IMG_1823_toilet.jpg

hmm thats a tricky one. perhaps crap on the floor inside the toilet to make them earn the extra 2 baht. perhaps they know all about farang already:0

Yes, that probably explains why she's puckering up to kiss our lips.

There's no such thing as racism in Thailand - you're either Thai or you're an Alien

Race doesn't come into it smile.png

Yes, and in the UK you are either British or an alien.

In France you are either French or an alien.

Etc., etc., ad nauseum.

From the OED

Alien, noun:

1 a foreigner, especially one who is not a naturalized citizen of the country where he or she is living

• Like 1

He is teaching the kid to grow up and be as miserable as he is.

A kid's day of happiness not worth 50 baht.

I spent far more than that on my kids happiness and do not regret one cent of it. They were in North America. I only wish I had spent more quality time with them.

Some times and this is one of them hindsight sucks.

so which "races"??

"If your own country is

so wonderful and so chocked full of "high principles, what kind of reasoning process did

you employ in deciding to come visit or settled down here in such a horrid place?

My country doesn't have 365 days a year sunshine.

Anymore questions ?