Did I Got Suckered?

I've just bought my first car in LOS today, I opted for the Izusu SLX Spacecab Dragon eyes It's a 2000 model and I payed 360 big ones for it, including one year 1. class insurance, was i Suckered, or is this a good price for a car that has traveled 70.000 KM.

PS!

the car looks new, no bumps, no prior accident and it handles very well (acordig to my brother in law, who is an auto mechanic)

any takers?

Morty :o

I've just bought my first car in LOS today, I opted for the Izusu SLX Spacecab Dragon eyes It's a 2000 model and I payed 360 big ones for it, including one year 1. class insurance, was i Suckered, or is this a good price for a car that has traveled 70.000 KM.

PS!

the car looks new, no bumps, no prior accident and it handles very well (acordig to my brother in law, who is an auto mechanic)

any takers?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge the Spacecab Dragon Eyes were made between 1996-1998. If that is correct, than your car may have been registered in 2000, but was actually produced years before... in any case, check the doors, they should have production dates.

I wouldn't say you were suckered per se, but I'd say that a 'great' deal would be closer to 300k, an 'fair' deal would be about 325, and a 'great deal for the seller' would be about what you paid. Either way, you didn't get ripped off, esp if you're happy with the condition of the car.

I was stressed earlier about buying tires, but after all was said and done, if i think about it in my home currency, who really cares? Plus I'm happy with what I have. So I'd suggest you do the same... Congrats on your new car, now go beat the hel_l out of it on the Thai roads...

No need to ever feel suckered on an Izusu that cost something you could afford, because they run forever with very, very little maintenance.

I sometimes drive a 2001 Rodeo, which has done close to 90K kms now and this kind of mileage is kind of 'just about run in'; it never drove better than it does today.

In the 5 years we had it around, just changed the usual.. brake pads, tyres, shocks, battery.. Had the windscreen wipers changed yesterday. :o Then the Isuzu dealer is very cheap and professional about maintenance... They come up with original things to change at major km-intervals which I usually do because it doesn't really cost money. (80K they recommend stuff like changing ball bearings... Sure, whatever. :D

Down side is that it's completely un-sellable because we KNOW what a good truck it is and how well we took care of it, that we'd never get what (we consider) it's actually worth. :D

So this truck will be with us pretty much forever. Another 10 years, 15, no sweat.

Cheers,

Chanchao

> Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge the Spacecab Dragon Eyes were

> made between 1996-1998.

Well.. no. Then again it depends what you call 'dragon eyes', which varies, also among what dealers call them.

Basically that model was what came after the TFR in 1996, and before the D-Max in 2002 (?). Half way down that time span it acquired the 'Dragon Eyes' name but I'm not sure if this was with the minor facelift that included clear-glass headlights, or only the later models that had the Xenon lights option.

On the onetwocars.com website they call the 1996-1998 model 'Dragon Eyes' and 1999-2002 'Dragon Power'... Hmm... This is not what I remember, but hey, like I said it varies even among car dealers what they call them.

Another important apect is the engine. At the last facelift in 1999, the 3.0 liter engine became available. If your truck has that then it's indeed a later model. Before that, 2.8 was the top engine size. At the same time (or just prior to that), I think the SLX models got electric mirrors.

Anyway check around at http://www.onetwocar.com/CarInfor/fromcarspac.aspx and search for what similar cars cost. I just did and I'd say what you paid is pretty good (average) but it of course depends which exact model it is, engine size, overall condition and so on.

Cheers,

Chanchao

I have just sold my 2000 Isuzu Rodeo Spacecab 4wd to my sister in law (but not got all the money yet!) for 300,000 Baht. It had around 85,000 Km on the clock, and farang owned and maintained at main dealer from new every 5000 km. The insurance value was 360,000 baht, which is what I was expecting if I had put it on the open market. First class insurance was around 15000 baht a year, which I presume would be similar for the 2WD version.

So, maybe you did pay a little high, but not by much.

> I have just sold my 2000 Isuzu Rodeo Spacecab 4wd to my sister in law (but not got all the

> money yet!) for 300,000 Baht. It had around 85,000 Km on the clock, and farang owned

> and maintained at main dealer from new every 5000 km. The insurance value was 360,000

> baht, which is what I was expecting if I had put it on the open market.

<cry!> :o That's what I meant when I said I'd never get for that truck what I feel it's worth. :D

Actually the insurance value is usually a bit less than the actual day value of the car. When you check the used car mags/sites you see they cost around 400K, give or take 30K. (The 2.8 liter models more likely to be up to 30K below, the 3.0 liter models more likely to be up to 30K baht above)

Breaks my hart to see my truck valued at only 420 K Baht.. Almost makes you wonder the sensibility of buying any car new for like 650K as you pick up such excellent vehicles for around 400 K... That's almost 250K baht down the drain in 5 years..

Second hand Isuzus are like wine, they get better over time. :D

(Okay, slightly over the top, that, but... >CRY!< )

Chanchao, I have been in the motor trade ( retired now) over 22 years.

Don't cry mate in OZ your depreciation level is horrendous.

You pick up a second hand one now ,what do you think it would be worth in 5 years?Remember your first years of ownership are the cheapest, with warranty periods & minimal maintainance costs.

• 2 months later...

PS!

any takers?

Greetings Morty,

(check the Kms - 6 years at 20,000 km per year = 120,000 kms. so 70,000 would be somewhat low - but, if correct then you got a good buy)

I have a Isuzu - Space cab - SLX - Super Dragon Eyes (Xenon high beams)

Bought in November 2000. Assembled in 2000.

Now to relate a small problem :- One of the high beams stopped working - went into my local

spares shop - they had halogen bulbs for 120 baht - Xenon bulbs for 250 baht. In order to check what fitting I had in my headlights , I tried to get to the back of the left head light - had to first remove the complete aircleaner, got 2 bolts undone , but could get no further , could not get to whatever was the final hold down .

Went to my owner's manual (only in Thai - after suspect translation - Isuzu says I should not open the headlight assembly - electrocution - but take it to an Isuzu garage - this was done, they were full at the time but told me that it would require checking to see if the xenon bulb was finished (if so, about 200 baht, if not the bulb then between 8,000 and 9,000 baht - YES eight thousand to nine thousand baht !!!!)

Can anyone help on this issue ? What sort of fitting does the Super Dragon Eyes unit have for headlight bulbs - halogen or xenon ? Has anyone replaced bulbs or units themselves ?

While we have several Isuzu admirers / knowledgable members on this thread.

May i be allowed to divert a little and ask about what is the proceedure once the warranty runs out.

I have a 2 year old 4 door D Max 3.0 and have only done 9,000 kms.

I,m going for my second service at about 9,900 hopefully.

It would seem i will not be getting beyond the mileages or 3 year warranty before it expires.

Can i negotiate an extension with the dealer or if not will they still do the service checks as and when i reach them and charge me in full.

( i,m thinking about the parts that are changed at the recognised intervals mileages. )

Also i still have several ( 3 ) CLM tickets that i was told could be used for certain things although i,m not sure what these are applicable to.

Translation was difficult to understand apart from " you have problem use when asked " ?????

Forgive my off topic post Morty but as it,s an Isuzu enquiry perhaps it,s also of interest as well.

Thanks to all posters as i find your comments informative. :o

marshbags :D:D:D

Edited by marshbags