Are Thai people racist? They keeping calling me "Farang"!

Stradavarius37

Yes they are racist. Farang is a racist term no matter how much Thais try to say it is not. It is plain and simple. Any word like this that is used to identify a certain ethnic group that is not part of "us" is racist. Imagine back in our homeland (whatever country it may be) and you are asian and you overhear the wait staff at restaurant say: "You take the table with the Asian at it."

Imagine walking down the street and people pointing at you and nudging their partner "hey, hey, look! An Asian."

How about clearing up a traffic ticket at the local cop shop and when you bring the ticket in to retrieve your driver's license, the cop looks at you and shakes is head and says "Oh you asian."

But I don't get mad at the Thais. They don't understand it is racist. I try to educate them in a joking manner. "Duu Duu Duu farang!! " I stop and point back and say "Du du du,,, Khon Thai."

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

I had the honour of placing a wreath on Remembrance Day ceremony in respect for those westerners and others who fell in battle. The wreath was provided by our town. Do you know what was written in bold letters across the wreath ..........................

" FARANGS OF UBON RATCHATHANI"

What do you think of that ?

It's a racist term period and it's too bad they had to include it on a wreath commemorating foreigners who fought and died in wars. Thais don't get it and apparently you don't either.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes they are racist. Farang is a racist term no matter how much Thais try to say it is not. It is plain and simple. Any word like this that is used to identify a certain ethnic group that is not part of "us" is racist. Imagine back in our homeland (whatever country it may be) and you are asian and you overhear the wait staff at restaurant say: "You take the table with the Asian at it."

Imagine walking down the street and people pointing at you and nudging their partner "hey, hey, look! An Asian."

How about clearing up a traffic ticket at the local cop shop and when you bring the ticket in to retrieve your driver's license, the cop looks at you and shakes is head and says "Oh you asian."

But I don't get mad at the Thais. They don't understand it is racist. I try to educate them in a joking manner. "Duu Duu Duu farang!! " I stop and point back and say "Du du du,,, Khon Thai."

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

I had the honour of placing a wreath on Remembrance Day ceremony in respect for those westerners and others who fell in battle. The wreath was provided by our town. Do you know what was written in bold letters across the wreath ..........................

It's a racist term period and it's too bad they had to include it on a wreath commemorating foreigners who fought and died in wars. Thais don't get it and apparently you don't either.

????

What is wrong with accepting that people do look different.

And of course the wait staff will tell to each other "bring the asian a beer" the same as they will say: "bring the red hair a beer" or the guy with the one arm only.

It is an optical difference, what is wrong to mention it?

racism would be if the restaurant writes "Jews/Farangs/Blacks not welcome"

or racism would be if Farangs pay more national park fee, than say tourists from Japan.

Without disadvantage there is no racism. That people find it exiting to see someone who looks different might be childish but it is not racism.

NOOOOO> They would say, bring the guy at table four a beer. I would rather they call us the white guy or white woman. But any word like this is pure and simply a derogatory term. There are no two ways about it. Thais don't get it.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Oh dear..........coffee1.gif ...........rolleyes.gif

So tell me, why do Thai folk pay for a ceremony to respect the farang dead................?

Farang is fundamentally a French word coming from the colonial days of French Indo-China (Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam. Do yourself a huge favor by not being offended by it.

Next, the entire world is racist. Racism will never go away. Read the Old Testament of the "Holy" Bible. It reeks with racism. That's the way of the world. You can either accept it, or find a stargate, that will take you to a planet, where there are no people. Good luck!

Only time I can understand people getting butthurt by the word farang is when people are "friends" with Thais who still refer to them as the farang after knowing them for some time. That is usually where you are around people who have little respect for you as a person, a good example would be someone who lives in a trash Isaan village where after years you are still the farang to everyone. You are unlikely to change their mentalities as they lack respect or just straight up do not like you. In which case get some better friends and/or surroundings!

If a Thai refers to a stranger as a farang I really see no issue with it personally and would not take offense to it in the slightest.

Amen to that.

Yes! Thai people are racist. It's integral with their culture, as with the rest of the planet. So what? Just dwell upon how well the Thai people around you treat you, on a daily basis.

However, if you expect to become a fully accepted member of a Thai family, or to make "real" western style friendships, anywhere in Asia, then you're living in a fantasy world. It-will-not-happen,...ever! If you're searching for a real, solid and stand-by-your-side-no-matter-what friend in Asia?....Get a dog! That's the reality of being a foreigner in Asia. If you can't (emotionally) handle it, then do yourself a favor. Go home!

• Like 1

Not racist at all, farang is a term Thai people refer to a white person. Similar to when they see Chinese people, they call them Chinese.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

My wife tells me it is a compliment. I will not say what she said as why, but a gave a thumbsup.gif to her explanation. smile.png

Only time I can understand people getting butthurt by the word farang is when people are "friends" with Thais who still refer to them as the farang after knowing them for some time.

So if you agree with this.

Then you might also want to know that Thais indeed always sees you first and foremost as a "farang". As "a white skin". Even when they have known you for a long time, in their mind, you are still first and foremost "a white skin". And only secondly a person, identity.

Because of this, it is ignorant and harmful to enhance the notion of "farang", by referring to ourselves as farang.

It does NOT simply means, a white person, like we know a non-white person, who we, after a while of knowing him, more and more forget the skin color. For Thais "a white skin" is always first and foremost a "white skin".

You are wrong. Farang does not mean "white person" and really does not refer to skin color.

It means Caucasian, white man. (as in race)

It is ONLY Caucasians, people we would call "white race", yes correct, even though many Asians, Koreans and Japanese people can be even whiter than some of us, they are not "Farang"

This is not about being PC, it is about wether or not you want to be, first and foremost seen as a human being, and then only secondly, as a race (or even an object, as I thais tend to see us)

Or the opposite, as thais would usually do?

We think it is the same as when we see a black guy, or an Asian guy, to us, in the beginning, we sure refer to them as Asian, White, or Black etc, HOWEVER, when we begin to know this person very well, we will after a while, not consider it necessary to always refer to him as black or Asian, they will become a person, with an identity first and foremost.

This is NOT usually the case with Thais.

They will always first and foremost refer to you as "farang". They simply will not let go of the fact that you are Caucasian. That is THE single most important thing for a Thai to notice. Not your personality, or your identity, or uniqness, it comes only secondly, or thirdly.

You want to be viewed as a person, or an object/dancing monkey?

Up to you.

But referring to ourselves as farang, is just plain ignorant.

Edited by ayayay

Yes! Thai people are racist. It's integral with their culture, as with the rest of the planet.

However, if you expect to become a fully accepted member of a Thai family, or to make "real" western style friendships, anywhere in Asia, then you're living in a fantasy world.

But by enhancing the notion that you are not them, by calling yourself farang, is not stupid? Especially if you dislike being discriminated, or disclike seeing fellow foreigners being ripped off, because they are dehumanized?

And just because racism is a global problem, is it not worth to address it? Especially in Thailand where racism is not even accepted, but encouraged, indirectly by ourselves, when we call ourselves farang?

Edited by ayayay

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

It is clearly YOU who does not get it. Farang is not a racist term, period.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

It is clearly YOU who does not get it. Farang is not a racist term, period.

Well now, there's a well reasoned, tautological argument.

PERIOD!

Right back to where you started, bud.

“I am very cautious of people who are absolutely right, especially when they are vehemently so.”

Michael Palin,

Why don't all those who are offended by the word "farang" just kick off whenever they hear it used?

I mean, shit, if I heard Thais using this "deeply offensive" and derogatory term to refer to me day in, day out every month, every year, I think I'd board a plane and never return.

It's hilarious how these marginalized foreigners tell each other to avoid applying Western notions of morality to Thais when it comes to sex but when it comes down to use of an innocuous word, all that "understanding" goes straight out of the window.

Edited by HardenedSoul
  • Like 2

It might have been a racist term in the past but when I go to Tesco and a 3 year old kid points at me and says FARANG I don't see it as an insult and it shows that white guys are labelled as Farangs. What I do now is I point back and say THAI.

With that said the secretary/PA of a friend of mine called up True to have get internet installed in my new house and the word Farang were never used.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

So why no replies from the ''high horse'' farangs to my above post ? rolleyes.gif

The word refers to the color of my skin, like the word nigger, white, black etc. Its not about where i'm from it is purely to do with the color of my skin. I don't think its on the same page as "Asian", European, American etc. That being said, its like the Brits having monument in Trafalgar Square saying "To all the blacks who lost their lives in Afghanistan". We would say To all the Nigerians, or to all the Burmese, not all the Yellow or Black guys.

I agree that is taken out of context and its not generally meant in an offensive way, these are cultural differences, not everyone in the world conforms to the customary codes of what Westerners consider polite behavior. In Liberia they still eat people, which i consider awfully rude and impolite.

Edited by arnold40844

Me noob, but I think I can spot a joke post, and that's what this has gotta be. I apologize if someone's already pointed this out; don't have time read all the replies.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

snake24 you keep adding a reply and it keeps getting removed.

My argument with this is as follows. You agree that the "N Word" is an offensive term, but ask yourself what makes it offensive? it is just a "noun" in the English language that is used to describe the color of someones skin, the word is not in itself racist, its merely the context in which it is used. I think it came from the Spanish word Negro or something.

It is exactly the same with Farang, I don't see why there is a debate about whether or not the word is racist? it is a "noun" that refers to the color of someones skin. This argument is basically as ridiculous as "is the word white or black racist"?...

I think the real question here is, are there people in Thailand who have racist views towards Caucasians and sometimes express those views verbally in combination with the word Farang? Answer: Yes

Edited by arnold40844

Not racist at all, farang is a term Thai people refer to a white person. Similar to when they see Chinese people, they call them Chinese.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

My wife tells me it is a compliment. I will not say what she said as why, but a gave a thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif alt=thumbsup.gif width=25 height=19> to her explanation. xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.CwSpBGGvqN.png

I think people are too sensitive on this subject. Say I am a Thai woman, but without knowing I am Thai, what would you say when you see me? You would say hey that is an Asian girl, right? It does not mean that you are a racist.

My argument with this is as follows. You agree that the "N Word" is an offensive term, but ask yourself what makes it offensive? it is just a "noun" in the English language that is used to describe the color of someones skin, the word is not in itself racist, its merely the context in which it is used. I think it came from the Spanish word Negro or something.

It is exactly the same with Farang, I don't see why there is a debate about whether or not the word is racist? it is a "noun" that refers to the color of someones skin. This argument is basically as ridiculous as "is the word white or black racist"?...

I think the real question here is, are there people in Thailand who have racist views towards Caucasians and sometimes express those views verbally in combination with the word Farang? Answer: Yes

I don't think you can compare the "N" word and "farang".

One is regarded as very offensive by 100% of black people regardless of the tone with which it is used; the other is regarded as offensive by a few wheezers on Thaivisa's forum with nothing better to do than bitch about imagined slights.

I mean, if they were calling you "crackers" or "porkbellies", you'd have a case but they're not.

If "farang" is racist, why stay in a country where you're being called a derogatory name by pretty much every Thai?

Head home, suckas

Edited by HardenedSoul
  • Like 2

it does not refer to skin colour

One is regarded as very offensive by 100% of black people regardless of the tone with which it is used; the other is regarded as offensive by a few wheezers on Thaivisa's forum with nothing better to do than bitch about imagined slights.

I mean, if they were calling you "crackers" or "porkbellies", you'd have a case but they're not.

If "farang" is racist, why stay in a country where you're being called a derogatory name by pretty much every Thai?

Head home, suckas

i think its a very narrow minded way to look at it. But each to their own ability I suppose. If you can not see the relationship between two descriptive nouns then what's the point.

Me and my wife met at university in the UK, we have 2 kids and have been together for 5 years. I moved here so she could be closer to her family and so my children know `

Like I have said in several post's, there are only a couple of occasions that I have taken offence to it and that's when it is used in an offensive way.

Head home, suckas

i think its a very narrow minded way to look at it. But each to their own ability I suppose. If you can not see the relationship between two descriptive nouns then what's the point.

Me and my wife met at university in the UK, we have 2 kids and have been together for 5 years. I moved here so she could be closer to her family and so my children know `

Like I have said in several post's, there are only a couple of occasions that I have taken offence to it and that's when it is used in an offensive way.

My daughter jumped on the keyboard, did not mean to post that.

You seem to have some preconceived idea of what a racist word is, whilst dishing out other "descriptive nouns" that you consider to be offensive.

Its all about the context as iv'e said repeatedly. Negro's often refer to each other as Nigger but it is not in an offensive way, which kinda destroys your 100% theory.

Arguing over made up words and their meaning biggrin.png love it!

Edited by arnold40844

This is an argument that has been going on for years. Interesting quote below relating to it. i think it sums it up quite well, it depends how you define racism, by a certain definition everyone is racist.

"The exact definition of racism is controversial both because there is little scholarly agreement about the meaning of the concept "race", and because there is also little agreement about what does and does not constitute discrimination. Critics argue that the term is applied differentially, with a focus on such prejudices by whites, and defining mere observations of racial differences as racism.[3] Some definitions would have it that any assumption that a person's behavior would be influenced by their racial categorization is racist, regardless of whether the action is intentionally harmful or pejorative."

Thai are very racist indeed. Making a difference when you add a racial detail is racist. It's not only about farangs but also neighbor country. I guess some of you heard: "Lao" use to describe something low in reference to Laotian people.

its not a racial detail, its a national detail