There are vets and there are vets.

angmo

Vets' services and charges vary widely - be warned!

I have 4 cats and 3 dogs and have take them for many years to a vet in South Pattaya on Sukhumvit road just past Tesco Lotus.

Initially they were very good, but then I realised prices were going up wildly.

I had a bitch spayed for THB1,200 about 2 years ago and then about a year later I wanted the same done for another smaller dog. Suddenly the price was THB 4,500! When I questioned this they said that the previous price was a special.

This was a warning and I started watching all prices.

One of my beagles contracted mange as a puppy and the weekly shampoo and injection cost THB4,600. Crazy - as they said it could take 3-6 months to cures. That adds up to THB 18,400/month - thus easily THB 100,000 for the cure.

After the second injection, a new vet opened up near my house in Nongprue - just off Siam Country Club road (where the new vet is). I went to them and asked for a price. THB 600 for the same injection and special shampoo. !!!!!!!!!!!

Best is, I have been back for other issues with the pets and the prices are all much lower and the people much friendlier.

Three times, I went back with the dog having a broken toe nail or something small. The vet cut the nail and on all 3 occasions as there was no medication or follow up required the charge was a massive THB 00000.00. Yes - that's right - IT WAS FREE!

For anyone looking for a good vet this is their name. They have two offices in Siam Country Club road - the main one close to Sukhumvit and the other about 4km towards Mapbrachan. Their website is - http://www.siamcount...tryenglish.html

I highly recommend them.

• Like 1

Can recommend this vet as well, coming there for almost 3 years. Had a go with a different vet on Soi Khao Noi and because of that visit one of my dogs having a twitch now as he got the wrong meds. Fortunately he doesnt feel anything about and can do whatever he wants.

Once again i highly recommend this vet, they open at 6am till 11pm i believe and the prices are more then reasonable and it seems they are just genuinely caring for your pets inthere.

We had a couple of cats spayed a few years ago by a local vet in Khok Samrong, Lopburi.. they did such a lousy job that now those two cats are crippled. Get lots of advice from pet lovers before taking your animals to a vet in Thailand.

There can also be some spectacular price variations between different doctors and different pharmacies for the same treatment/medicine for humans. And in most cases the prices also apply to Thais so it isn't just a farang dual-pricing issue.

I think the answer is always to check prices first and don't hesitate to ask around. Caveat emptor.

We had a couple of cats spayed a few years ago by a local vet in Khok Samrong, Lopburi.. they did such a lousy job that now those two cats are crippled. Get lots of advice from pet lovers before taking your animals to a vet in Thailand.

Thanks for this tidbit of advice in the PATTAYA forum...none of us pattaya pet owners will take our furry friends to lopburi for veterinary care.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

I am an animal lover and your info is good info, however.... taking your dog to the vets to have a broken toenail cut? Why not just do it yourself?

There is a show on Discovery called Pampered Pooches, have you been on it by any chance?

It was more than just broken it was bleeding and went back into the toe itself. So no - not all that pampered.

God people just love jumping to conclusions.

• Like 1