Thaksin will not seek the return of seized asset: spokesmen

webfact

Thaksin will not seek the return of seized asset: spokesmen
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has pledged not to reverse his Bt46 billion asset seizure and will accept the decision if the amnesty bill is defeated in the Senate, his two spokesmen said on Tuesday.

Pheu Thai Party spokesman Prompong Nopparit said Thaksin was not pushing for the passage of the bill as alleged by the opposition.

Prompong said the opposition had an ulterior motive to distort the truth involving Thaksin in order to unseat the government.

Thaksin's legal adviser Noppadon Pattama said the amnesty, if granted, was designed to bring about reconciliation among those involved in the political conflict.

Noppadon said amnesty could not be cited in undoing the asset seizure for Thaksin.

Thaksin's opponents are alleging that the amnesty bill was designed to help the former prime minister win back his seized assets because the bill would absolve all cases initiated following the 2006 coup, including cases investigated by the Assets Examination Committee.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-05

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know it may be a translation problem but it says he has pledged not to reverse his asset seizure. Surely that's not for him to do anyway is it?

Even if he doesn't attempt to get it back I'm sure there will be enough people wanting to get brownie points who will sort it out without him actually asking.

"BANGKOK: -- Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has pledged not to reverse his Bt46 billion asset seizure and would accept if the amnesty bill is defeated in the Senate, his two spokesmen said on Tuesday."

There's his first mistake, no one says pledged anymore, it "vowed" now days

"Pheu Thai Party spokesman Prompong Nopparit said Thaksin was not the mastermind pushing for the passage of the bill as alleged by the opposition."

Despite what the PTP MPs say

British English: desperation Desperation is the feeling that you have when you are in such a bad situation that you will try anything to change it.

• Like 1

Maybe Thaksin would just 'undo' it instead? Blanket Amnesty, nothing happened, these are still my billions?

I know it may be a translation problem but it says he has pledged not to reverse his asset seizure. Surely that's not for him to do anyway is it?

Even if he doesn't attempt to get it back I'm sure there will be enough people wanting to get brownie points who will sort it out without him actually asking.

• Like 1

Has anyone ever compiled a list of his promises over the years and the results?

I could kick it off with the pledge to cure Bangkok's traffic problems years ago when the Post had a daily banner counting down the days. We know the result of that one!

Excuse me, but wasn't the same spokes....thing, saying just a few days ago that this amnesty bill wouldn't allow Thaksin to get "his" money back? Now we switch to, "he promises not to go after the money after the "amnesty" passes, honest!"

By next week they'll come up with some spin about how it is necessary for reconciliation for Thaksin to get back the money, even if he doesn't really want it.

• Like 1

The seized 46 billion with compound interest is around 60 billion that will be returned to the bloke that stole it. It's actually only 1,000B from every man, woman and child in Thailand, doesn't sound so bad when put into perspective. Although getting control of Thai satellites that were nicked and sold to the Singaporeans could prove more tricky.

"Prompong said the opposition had an ulterior motive to distort the truth involving Thaksin..."

You can't distort that which does not exist.

Agreed

but since he has never admitted the truth or told the truth ... how can it be distorted .. just another untruth