7 Mbps download, 1 Mbps upload - Skype garbled, dropped 3 calls

elzach

I guess the headline says it all. Just moved to this place and I thought "wow, nice internet".

But just tried skype and I was shocked at how bad the connections were. I took speedtest tests and all showed around 5-8 mbps down, 0.5-1 mbps upload. Ping around 20 ms but I know in Thailand that's BS. BUT, not too stable, I saw the needle moving around a lot.

At the place where I moved from, I had 1 mbps download (kid you not) and no problems with skype.

In the end, how stable of a connection does Skype need??

I can't even go to the bldg manager with this, show him what? he's gonna say, are u crazy, you want more than 7 mbps?

edit: I'm in BKK Ratchada area, using 3BB

Edited by elzach

Specifications for Skype seem minimal so perhaps too many users which can explain the instability as the usage will continuously change. Possible bad connection and missing/dropping packets which will cause it to resend creating delays. Speedtest may not show the last part but you can try manually ping from your PC to a remote site and look for losses. Or use traceroute.

Skype Calling

For Skype Calling, aka voice calling, there is a minimum internet speed required with at least 30 kbps upload speed and 30 kbps download speed. The recommended bandwidth by Skype is at least 100 kbps upload speed and 100 kpbs download speed. So although the minimum requirements are possible with a dial-up internet connection, you cannot use any other feature with that kind of internet connection. For best quality a decent internet broadband connection is advisable. Remember that GPRS is not supported for voice calls.

Internet Speedometer

Can you describe, in as much detail as possible, your internet connection?

Is it wired or wireless (WiFi)?

Do you have any internet access device (modem/router/WiFi AP) within your living space?

Do you have a contract with 3BB? Or do you pay your building manager for internet?

Can you share any details re: the service you used in your previous living space?

Without details it is challenging to offer ideas. Based on zero detail I'd guess your internet connection blows. Maybe it is shared with others in your building?

Suspect there are Skype forums which might have some basic tests/guides for trouble-shooting.

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/bd-p/Windows

http://download.skype.com/share/business/guides/skype-connect-troubleshooting-guide.pdf

Edited by lomatopo

Skype can work with limited bandwidth, but what causes a lot of problems is jitter. Jitter is caused by congestion (and potentially using multiple routes to the same location - but less often). Basically it is when packets (data) takes different times to reach the other side as opposed to the same time for all data. One configuration change that you can make is to make sure that the port number on your router that skype is currently using (skype configuration will let you see what port your using) is configured to forward it to your computer. If not, then skype will have to use someone else computer as a proxy for forwarding the data to the other end -- which could also have problems.

I've found speed has no relation to VOIP calls (which is what Skype is). I've also found that Internet providers selectively mange traffic ("bandwidth shaping") in busy oversubscribed areas which can cause problems.

You could try cabled if you're on WiFi to eliminate any problems with that? You could request a line test via your provider?

How is the Skype test service and how is the ping to a web site hosted in the country you're calling too - that will provide better comparative data?

It's not usually possible to change Skype ports as suggested above as Skype port hops to improve the call.

Final suggestion is just to change provider and hope that's better?

Hi all, thanks for the responses!

Internet provider is 3BB fiber, my floor has its own connection (30Mb) thru 2 Linksys routers to about 10 apartments. At 12 am though not many connections would be present I would think.

For Thailand that's a pretty good darn set up.

I just pinged hotels.com in US (which I was calling):

Packets: sent: 4, Received: 4, Loss: 0

Minimum = 5ms, Maximum = 11ms, Average = 7ms

Actually I have an ethernet cable long enough to run from the router (right outside my room) to my laptop. Maybe I'll try it later.

EDIT: I just pinged google.com and got a very different picture!

Ping statistics for 173.194.38.145:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 38ms, Maximum = 270ms, Average = 133ms
EDIT #2: I pinged hotels.com again, my connection is all over the place:
Ping statistics for 202.57.129.165:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 2, Lost = 2 (50% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 15ms, Maximum = 17ms, Average = 16ms
Edited by elzach

About "hotels.com" (202.57.129.165):

whois tells me that this IP adr belongs to a Thai ISP.

So something foul here (as obvious by the ping time).

16 ms ping to a server in the US, simply impossible (Einstein has not been rebutted yet).

From my ToT DSL I see "hotels.com" as 216.251.127.130 (registered for Expedia-Network-Engineering, WA US) with

a ping time of about 360 ms.

I can not exclude the possibility of a Thai mirror for hotels.com (like there are mirrors for youtube and other Google services).

And that is the other strange result.

For me google.com comes up as 180.180.250.54 (a ToT IP adr) with a ping time of about 29 ms (so being in Thailand).

Edited by KhunBENQ

On a shared line all you need is one torrenter to kill the connection.

I am guessing the two linksys routers are consumer grade routers which could also be a problem, they should be enterprise grade for that type of environment.

Edited by cacruden

What I would suggest that you do initially, is disconnect everything apart from your main PC from you Wifi/internet etc. just have a wired Ethernet to your modem/router - once you have done this REBOOT everything, starting with your modem, followed by your router if you are using a separate connection then boot up the PC - give it 10 minutes or so to settle and allow everything to connect.

Once all is working, go into you OS - usually in Windows you can type [WINKEY+R] or in the search box type in CMD - if you are using win 8 you need to right click and select "run as Administrator" I forget the options for Win 7, but you do need to be in ADMIN mode.

Once you are in the CMD screen, type in the following (without the quotes) "Ping -f -l 1492 www.tot.co.th (This is assuming you are connected to TOT - if you are not then change the IP address to the ISP that you use)

If you get back a response that says blah blah blah...no packet loss, it will usually ping four sets of data and measure the reurtn - at 1492 I would imagine that you get everything rejected...i.e. 100% loss and it will tell you it connected but the packets need defragmenting.

Now, all you need to do is to pinging the same address, but each time you ping reduce that 1492 number by 10, i.e. 1482, 1472, 1462, you will probably be close at 1452 if you are using PPOE.

Once you get to the situation where you get 100% return with no defragmentation and /or packet loss, you have your base MTU - now, all you need to do ist to take that figure and add 28 to it...eg. you get 100% sucess with 1452, add 28 to that and you get 1480.

Now go into you router setup page and look for the MTU settings, it is probably set to 1500 or 1492, you need to set this to manual and type in your result - 1480...or whatever you got.

This should help.

Might be easier to just get a calling card? Free local access, 1 baht/min to fixed or mobile in the U.S.A.

http://www.thaitelephone.com/EN/calling-card/thailand/catphonenet/index.php

Any shared connection, even a 30/3 3BB FTTx line shared across 10 units, and God knows how many devices, using routers with no provision for QoS for VoIP traffic, means that you're going to run into all sorts of potential problems.

• Like 1

What I would suggest that you do initially, is disconnect everything apart from your main PC from you Wifi/internet etc. just have a wired Ethernet to your modem/router - once you have done this REBOOT everything, starting with your modem, followed by your router if you are using a separate connection then boot up the PC - give it 10 minutes or so to settle and allow everything to connect.

Once all is working, go into you OS - usually in Windows you can type [WINKEY+R] or in the search box type in CMD - if you are using win 8 you need to right click and select "run as Administrator" I forget the options for Win 7, but you do need to be in ADMIN mode.

Once you are in the CMD screen, type in the following (without the quotes) "Ping -f -l 1492 www.tot.co.th (This is assuming you are connected to TOT - if you are not then change the IP address to the ISP that you use)

If you get back a response that says blah blah blah...no packet loss, it will usually ping four sets of data and measure the reurtn - at 1492 I would imagine that you get everything rejected...i.e. 100% loss and it will tell you it connected but the packets need defragmenting.

Now, all you need to do is to pinging the same address, but each time you ping reduce that 1492 number by 10, i.e. 1482, 1472, 1462, you will probably be close at 1452 if you are using PPOE.

Once you get to the situation where you get 100% return with no defragmentation and /or packet loss, you have your base MTU - now, all you need to do ist to take that figure and add 28 to it...eg. you get 100% sucess with 1452, add 28 to that and you get 1480.

Now go into you router setup page and look for the MTU settings, it is probably set to 1500 or 1492, you need to set this to manual and type in your result - 1480...or whatever you got.

This should help.

Thanks very much! But I don't have access to the router settings, this is shared routers on my building floor. But I could try to get in, will see.

I have the last 3 weeks have everything from 2,5 to 0.04, and sometimes zero (for 12-13 hours) Mbps download with TOT ADSL, in KKC.

Have called them, and they say......................supliiiiice.........we will look into it.

I am fully aware, that nobody likes to accept the facts...

BUT, the Internet Thainet is absolutely overbooked/overloaded.

It is going downhill since 2-3 years, when everybody started to buy smart phones and tablets.

Even my wife uses the "Line" messenger to send pictures of our dogs, house, car, motocys, food, flowers, whatever to her friends (and back).

One year ago, she didn't even know, what a messenger is...tongue.png

Posting pings, speedtests and traceroutes is more or less useless, since they are usually faked (speedtests) and we have absolutely no influence, about how a tcp-connection is routed.

Calling a hotline is a waste of time.

Nothing will improve, unless our honest (tongue.png) ISP's increase the international bandwidth, but that costs money, so it won't be happen.

Edited by Turkleton

The latency times look suspiciously low, I would risk a guess that this is cached content.

OP, do a speedtest test using a server that is in the USA or Europe and you will see the real speed.

As other posters suggested, try to connect to the Switch by Ethernet to rule out a malfunction of WIFI or interferences.

Skype and all other VoIP applications require low bandwidth but stable connection.

I am fully aware, that nobody likes to accept the facts...

BUT, the Internet Thainet is absolutely overbooked/overloaded.

It is going downhill since 2-3 years, when everybody started to buy smart phones and tablets.

Even my wife uses the "Line" messenger to send pictures of our dogs, house, car, motocys, food, flowers, whatever to her friends (and back).

One year ago, she didn't even know, what a messenger is...tongue.png

Posting pings, speedtests and traceroutes is more or less useless, since they are usually faked (speedtests) and we have absolutely no influence, about how a tcp-connection is routed.

Calling a hotline is a waste of time.

Nothing will improve, unless our honest (tongue.png) ISP's increase the international bandwidth, but that costs money, so it won't be happen.

Before the Asia-American-Gateway went into operation - my internet connection was worse - so I find it has actually improved :o (with of course weeks here or there of poor service due to some anchor pulling on fiber lines or earthquakes rupturing practically all lines).

I just wish ISPs would be honest. You pay a certain amount per month for your line, then allow you to pre-order blocks of international bandwidth with that money going to higher international bandwidth (minus a reasonable markup) [100GB blocks per month]. After you use your International bandwidth up you drop back to 50-100kps international bandwidth.... if they did that then you would pay for what you get and have better service. Of course it would not preclude network management during peak hours -- but it would give a higher level of service than the crap-shoot that is now.

The latency times look suspiciously low, I would risk a guess that this is cached content.

OP, do a speedtest test using a server that is in the USA or Europe and you will see the real speed.

As other posters suggested, try to connect to the Switch by Ethernet to rule out a malfunction of WIFI or interferences.

Skype and all other VoIP applications require low bandwidth but stable connection.

I just did a speedtest to Palo Alto CA, ping 10 ms, download 5.45 mbps, upload 0.58 mbps, not too bad.

But as you and others noted, skype requires a stable connection.

Thanks. So there'll be on-off issues with internet in LOS, I'm resigned to that by now.

On a related note, some people using a vpn, and depending on where is the server they use, swear that the connection gets better.

This defies logic of course, since the connection originates here and then bounces off to other servers, but, heck, I'll try it.

Thanks. So there'll be on-off issues with internet in LOS, I'm resigned to that by now.

On a related note, some people using a vpn, and depending on where is the server they use, swear that the connection gets better.

This defies logic of course, since the connection originates here and then bounces off to other servers, but, heck, I'll try it.

VPN can change performance because it can change the route that your communications takes. 6 months ago if I connected directly to my seedbox the route would take me across the pacific into california, several hops up to the midwest, out east, up to Canada then out to the UK. The box in the same location connected via VPN would take me up to Italy and onwards to the UK. A latency difference of 100ms as well as other changes.

The VPN that most others are talking about is VPNing to another country in the region that Thailand ISPs have higher bandwidth agreements with.... a sort of semi-domestic connection.... and the country hosting that VPN server has contracts that provide better peering agreements than your local ISP.

I just did a speedtest to Palo Alto CA, ping 10 ms, download 5.45 mbps, upload 0.58 mbps, not too bad.

Amazing.... faster than the speed of light. I wish all ISPs would have that option :o

Amazing.... faster than the speed of light. I wish all ISPs would have that option ohmy.png

Have you never realized that the launch of "warp-speed" is now more than 40 years ago?

So, I am not really surprised about these speeds.

Especially in Thailand, the hub of "high warp speed internet"....

biggrin.png