Car converted to run on Natural Gas

A1Str8

I would need the opinion of those who are knowledgeable in this area. I would like to have my car converted to be able to run on gasoline and natural gas CNG, LNG as well.

My questions are: can you recommend any reliable shops here in Cm that would do a good job?

Any thoughts regarding to the costs of the refitting?

Which gas stations have NG too?

Is it overall a good idea to do such thing or you wouldn't recommend it?

Thank you in advance

CNG requires a high pressure tank, it's heavy and you have to queue with all the taxis. Range is not impressive too. LPG requires only a light tank, you can easily reach 400km with it and it's still very cheap (14.25B, in Bangkok even cheaper 12.50B), CNG is slightly lower priced.

There are 2 tank models, one in the usual "gas bottle" like we know from Taxis in the trunk, the other is shaped like a reserve wheel and fits into its place, so you keep the full trunk space. Preferred one.

The LPG systems are on the other hand very very simple, they sell you here only the low end stuff which injects or rather sucks the gas into the engine after the air filter, before the fuel injection. Thus your engine's computer has no control over it, the performance is not equally distributed over the load and you may get some warning lights flashing (O2 sensor). Expect some 10l or kg how they count it consumption. Still makes it very cheap. We have an Optra, that goes from Bangkok to Chiang Mai for just 1000B. Can't beat that smile.png.

• Like 1

CNG requires a high pressure tank, it's heavy and you have to queue with all the taxis. Range is not impressive too. LPG requires only a light tank, you can easily reach 400km with it and it's still very cheap (14.25B, in Bangkok even cheaper 12.50B), CNG is slightly lower priced.

There are 2 tank models, one in the usual "gas bottle" like we know from Taxis in the trunk, the other is shaped like a reserve wheel and fits into its place, so you keep the full trunk space. Preferred one.

The LPG systems are on the other hand very very simple, they sell you here only the low end stuff which injects or rather sucks the gas into the engine after the air filter, before the fuel injection. Thus your engine's computer has no control over it, the performance is not equally distributed over the load and you may get some warning lights flashing (O2 sensor). Expect some 10l or kg how they count it consumption. Still makes it very cheap. We have an Optra, that goes from Bangkok to Chiang Mai for just 1000B. Can't beat that smile.png.

A good TDI can! A medium family TDI car, can average over 70mpg these days or about 25kpl.

Skoda, BMW, Mercedes, VW

That's indeed very good advise for a car in Thailand. So you suggest to pay a premium beforehand instead of giving the government the tax money for the fuel later on. Well thought out biggrin.png Edited by MadMac

Skoda, BMW, Mercedes, VW

That's indeed very good advise for a car in Thailand. So you suggest to pay a premium beforehand instead of giving the government the tax money for the fuel later on. Well thought out biggrin.png

Who mentioned anything about price. The original comment was about cost per mile. A good TDI can beat it. Your comment was that a good TDI cannot be obtained in Thailand. Yes they can. Whether it is financially viable to buy one is another matter. You could also argue that unlike some, the fuel is available everywhere and unlikely to fluctuate much because of political pressures. So yes, I have thought it out as I read the comment in the first place.

@Dellboy218

If you don't bother about the price, then why bother about converting to cheaper fuel? Completely contradictory.

Certainly you can buy some foreign, particular European made cars that have a fantastic fuel economy. I guess you could also get a Tesla that doesn't need any fuel. But what no money can buy you is a good TDI of any local made car (BMW may be the exemption, not sure). Just some fake hybrids that can barely drive 2km on battery.

Anyway, as the Thais say, it's up to you smile.png

Edited by MadMac

@Dellboy218

If you don't bother about the price, then why bother about converting to cheaper fuel? Completely contradictory.

Certainly you can buy some foreign, particular European made cars that have a fantastic fuel economy. I guess you could also get a Tesla that doesn't need any fuel. But what no money can buy you is a good TDI of any local made car (BMW may be the exemption, not sure). Just some fake hybrids that can barely drive 2km on battery.

Anyway, as the Thais say, it's up to you smile.png

Perhaps you should read the posts again. Conversions and costs never came into the posts. Can you beat 1000B to Bangkok? Yes you can. Can you buy a decent TDI here? You said you cannot get them here, I merely pointed out that you can which apparently you now agree with. I have no idea about locally made TDI's, but then that was never mentioned in the first place. Whether any vehicle is viable or financially effective is entirely a personal matter. I don't know whether you would call the Toyota hybrids ''fake'' doubtless Toyota would be only too pleased to answer that.