Saraburi - Speed Camera(s) when Driving from Isaan to/from Bangkok

SantiSuk

I received a letter yesterday showing a very clear picture of my car and a digital readout showing I was going 116 kph a month ago, which I undoubtedly was (location: Saraburi province on highway 2 or highway 1 - not sure which side of Meuang Saraburi the little map graphic is showing me - between Isaan and Bangkok). I usually travel between 110 and 120kph on dual carriageways (divided highways) if conditions are safe

The fine is 1,000 baht and my wife says that the letter makes it clear I will not be able to re-tax my car (which I have to do within 10 days as it happens) if the fine remains unpaid. Having written that, I should perhaps check with her whether that applies nationally or whether it is just a Saraburi province thing - though I'll pay it in any event. My wife also says that if I drop my speed to just below 100kph then I should be ok in future. The prospect of such fines in future is going put 30 minutes on my journeys to Bangkok and back from Sisaket, but at least I'll save some diesel money - a Fortuner seems to be about 10% more efficient at 100kph than at 120. Not a big deal in reality.

So look out falangs - our unregulated paradise is about to start catching up with the first world! Soon we will be longing to go back to those days of the smiling pirates and occasional 200 baht tea money handouts. I never bothered too much about the prospect of 200 baht fines (except where I knew the incidence was high like on Highway 24 coming out of Nang Rong and after joining highway 2 from highway 24 for the first 20 klicks). I'm going to have to take a lot more notice if 1,000 baht fines are being dished out.

I suspect Thailand will not adopt UK policy, where speed cameras can only be erected in locations where the authority can prove a heightened safety risk and where cameras have to be flagged up as being in operation and must be clearly marked. In Thailand the policy is certain to be one of Revenue maximisation not speed reduction/safety maximisation: same same as existing police speed checks - it always pees me off that the police set road blocks on open dual carriageways where there is no safety risk whatsoever and rarely on very dangerous two-lane roads (they lose too much revenue on the latter because oncoming traffic can easily warn oncoming violators)

Cue pompous comments about 116kph being an unsafe speed to drive in any event?

Yes been there done that.

The annoying thing is, like you I usually drive in excess of 100 k/ph on that stretch of road, although at times as I am heading north to the Sara Buri by pass it can be impossible to reach those speeds.

Yes your wife is correct about the tax, I paid the fine at the local post office and made sure I kept the receipt, no problems renewing the tax.

The other bit you mention about road blocks, I have been pulled over at least three times, not only me but everyone else on the stretch of road, as soon as the police saw I was a farang they waved me on, it was explained to me they are looking for people transporting drugs, true or not I dont know.

Another time I was pulled over was a couple of years ago at the time the red Shirts were heading to Bkk.

I have also experienced similair stops in the Chanthaburi area, again as a farang I was waved on.

But you are correct about big brother, especially now in Bkk, its usually red light jumpers they catch, 3 photos, before, during and after, and the photos shows the exact location, date and time of the offence.

The main road from Nong Khai to Korat is becoming one of those speed traps.

When nearing Khon Kaen, from both directions, you will see 60 km/h speed limits posted.

Expect a camera there, on an on/off base.

If you stay below 66 km/h you will probably be ok, a 10% difference is used to bridge the rather untrustworthy speedometers in cars.

Speed Cameras, Wow! 1000 Baht fine is not so cheap. At least (FOR NOW) no penalty points. Once they start doing that then a big change in my driving or rather my wifes driving habits. Thanks for the info will take care when we use that stretch of road.

Edited by Billmont
  • Like 1

In Australia they have the new digital speed cameras hidden in the central guard rail I kl over and you cop a 4000 baht fines plus loss of points and the faster you are caught the more the fine increases, but I suppose it does work comparing the deaths here per head of population to Aussie, compulsory seats belt and helmets ect all helps to keep the road toll down

Use a sat. nav.

Mine shows my real speed (less than the speedo. reading), the speed limit and the likely location of cameras. As I approach a regular camera location the sat. nav, gives an audible warning if I am over the speed limit.

"Cue pompous comments about 116kph being an unsafe speed to drive in any event? [i would dispute that and point to the fact that such a speed is legal or very near legal in many countries of the world "

I have to laugh at this statement......

Not because I don't think it's true! Because where I am working at the present time the "normal" speed exhibited by the local drivers is 150+ even though the posted speed is 120. You always have the ones with the car/SUV capable of 175. Now that is daytime..... Nights the speed drops to 100 with the daredevil who foolishly goes 120. I WON'T drive after dark! <deleted> camels!

Here in Oman, there are no traffic cops handing out tickets, everything is done with cameras. When you reregister your vehicle every year they pull up on the computer ALL you fines and have to pay them with the registration fee. Oh.... you also have to have a receipt for 4 new tires to register the vehicle every year.

I wonder if a radar jammer or scanner would warn you when near a camera setup?

Thanks for the heads up...

I drove that route a few weeks back (at about 140kmh in areas, the road was rather quiet until the hilly sections).

I always thought the speed limit was 120kmh on the dual carriage highways ?

If not - what is the official limit on that highway ?

116kmh is 70mph - the same limit as many countries - but hardly fast when conditions permit.

Use a sat. nav.

Mine shows my real speed (less than the speedo. reading), the speed limit and the likely location of cameras. As I approach a regular camera location the sat. nav, gives an audible warning if I am over the speed limit.

Is it only the external sat-nav's which do that ? (i.e. garmin etc)...

I'm not sure the inbuilt sat-nav on my car could be programmed with camera hotspots.

In the UK the TomTom app on my phone plays an audible alarm when approaching a camera hotspot - However, so far in Thailand there are none... (well, except from a little local knowledge). I imagine this will change as Thailand recognises the revenue potential from speed cameras....

Thanks for the heads up...

I drove that route a few weeks back (at about 140kmh in areas, the road was rather quiet until the hilly sections).

I always thought the speed limit was 120kmh on the dual carriage highways ?

If not - what is the official limit on that highway ?

116kmh is 70mph - the same limit as many countries - but hardly fast when conditions permit.

Not 120 except on a few roads such as Bangkok's Eastern Ring-road. There are many stretches around Saraburi where my sat. nav. shows the limit to be 80. If you keep to that speed you will almost certainly find yourself causing an obstruction!

Use a sat. nav.

Is it only the external sat-nav's which do that ? (i.e. garmin etc)...

I'm not sure the inbuilt sat-nav on my car could be programmed with camera hotspots.

In the UK the TomTom app on my phone plays an audible alarm when approaching a camera hotspot - However, so far in Thailand there are none... (well, except from a little local knowledge). I imagine this will change as Thailand recognises the revenue potential from speed cameras....

I use I Go software in an external device permanently stuck to the windscreen.

http://www.igonavigation.com/

In Australia they have the new digital speed cameras hidden in the central guard rail I kl over and you cop a 4000 baht fines plus loss of points and the faster you are caught the more the fine increases, but I suppose it does work comparing the deaths here per head of population to Aussie, compulsory seats belt and helmets ect all helps to keep the road toll down

Lower death rate in Australia from MVA is largely attributable NOT so much to speeding, as to good road conditions, roadworthy vehicles, and personal safety technology (helmets, seat belts, air bags). The focus on speeding in Australia is because it can be measured easily, so is easily able to be used to justify revenue collections. Speed adds to road trauma, but is probably not so important a cause as fatigue, inattention and impatience.

Back to OP - I totally agree with your points about being able to drive above speed limits in safety. But all forms of social control rely on reducing us to herd mentality, to the lowest common denominator. This precludes the possibility of using common sense to assess situations in life. Pity that it is starting in Thailand.