Use Of Thai Names In Welsh

Richard W

I realised at the weekend that I am not at all sure how to use Thai words in Welsh. Dictionaries are not much help. I believe there are some Welsh speakers on this forum.

Is a Thai woman merch dhai, merch dai or what and why?

Is in/from Tak yn Nâc/o Dâc? If not, what?

Is in/from Phuket ym Mhucet/o Bucet? If not, what? I've seen yn Phucket, but I suspect the translator was confused and probably thought Phuket was pronounced as 'Fuket'.

How do I sort Thai words beginning 'th' in Welsh? Are they grouped with words beginning with 't', or with words beginning with 'th'? I presume the same rule applies as for the surname Thomas, but I have to admit I don't know the rule for this word either. Do the same principles apply to 'ph'?

Richard.

I realised at the weekend that I am not at all sure how to use Thai words in Welsh. Dictionaries are not much help. I believe there are some Welsh speakers on this forum.

Is a Thai woman merch dhai, merch dai or what and why?

Is in/from Tak yn Nâc/o Dâc? If not, what?

Is in/from Phuket ym Mhucet/o Bucet? If not, what? I've seen yn Phucket, but I suspect the translator was confused and probably thought Phuket was pronounced as 'Fuket'.

How do I sort Thai words beginning 'th' in Welsh? Are they grouped with words beginning with 't', or with words beginning with 'th'? I presume the same rule applies as for the surname Thomas, but I have to admit I don't know the rule for this word either. Do the same principles apply to 'ph'?

Richard.

what a strange post - the easiest way is to translate the thai to english and then to welsh - to translate direct is very confusing!!

what a strange post - the easiest way is to translate the thai to english and then to welsh - to translate direct is very confusing!!

And how, pray, does that help? Actually, it's not far from what I've done. If Thai Phuket becomes English Puket, then 'in/from Phuket' does yield ym Mhucet/o Bucet? But what if the English for Phuket is Phuket? I know no rule for converting English 'ph' pronounced /p/ to Welsh.

And is Welsh 'th' pronounced /t/ affected by the soft mutation or not? Or is Welsh thai not pronounced the same as Welsh tai?

This is wierd and I might be out of my depth but here goes....

I spent 20 yrs in Wales, learnt a little Welsh BUT I don't recall ever having a dictionary Welsh/English.

Phuket is an English transliteration of well.... Phuket

Bangkok is Grung Theyp in Thai but nothing for Phuket.

You can pronounce Ph as FOOOOO

Pooooooo

Fuuuuuuu

Puuuuuuu

The welsh language has vowels and consonants that don't exist in the English language so u just have to use ur imagination and a liberal phonetic interpretation :o

The welsh language has vowels and consonants that don't exist in the English language so u just have to use ur imagination and a liberal phonetic interpretation :o

Fair point about using my imagination. On second thoughts, perhaps 'in/from Phuket' should be ym Mhwced/o Bwced. But is this correct? There's no sign of it on the net - perhaps one should be using the RTGS of transliteration and not customising for target language.

The welsh language has vowels and consonants that don't exist in the English language so u just have to use ur imagination and a liberal phonetic interpretation :D

Fair point about using my imagination. On second thoughts, perhaps 'in/from Phuket' should be ym Mhwced/o Bwced. But is this correct? There's no sign of it on the net - perhaps one should be using the RTGS of transliteration and not customising for target language.

Not being one to partake of the michael :o but try explaining to a thai visitor who speaks very good english , That Ynysbwl is the name of a town ,and that Llanfair Pg is not a joke to take the piss out of foreigners, as a true son of the valleys, proud of my heritage, but thai into welsh and vicky verky is like australians trying to do joined up writing :D Nignoy

The welsh language has vowels and consonants that don't exist in the English language so u just have to use ur imagination and a liberal phonetic interpretation :D

Not being one to partake of the michael :o but try explaining to a thai visitor who speaks very good english , That Ynysbwl is the name of a town ,

yeah that would confuse them - more of a village really,!!!

How would you translate the Welsh train station "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch" into Thai?

Similarly the full name for Bangkok - "Krung-thep-maha-nakorn-boworn-ratana-kosin-mahintar- ayudhya-amaha-dilok-pop-nopa-ratana-rajthani-burirom-udom-rajniwes-mahasat-arn-amorn-pimarn- avatar-satit- sakattiya-visanukam" could pose problems for all.

(Nignoy, you have just lost your honorary Australian Citizenship for that cheap shot! No more "Cobber" for you. :o )

How would you translate the Welsh train station "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch" into Thai?

Similarly the full name for Bangkok - "Krung-thep-maha-nakorn-boworn-ratana-kosin-mahintar- ayudhya-amaha-dilok-pop-nopa-ratana-rajthani-burirom-udom-rajniwes-mahasat-arn-amorn-pimarn- avatar-satit- sakattiya-visanukam" could pose problems for all.

(Nignoy, you have just lost your honorary Australian Citizenship for that cheap shot! No more "Cobber" for you. :D )

Just checking if you were awake mate :D you will have a bit of peace after the 15th for a while I,m ,getting a new knee, hope to be getting back to los in july maybe can buy you a shandy :o nignoy