Beware not just amnesty, but the B2-trn borrowing bill, and the rest: Thai opinion

webfact

The handouts are in reality vote-gathering, and the profits from land-price speculation have already been spread among government supporters. This is all about "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" - Tributes and Profits, pure and simple.

This must be what Thaksin was talking about when he said "six months after i get back, we will all be rich". I hope ordinary citizens didn't think he was referring to them.

• Like 1

The administration is fast reaching its used by date, hopefully it will be disbanded before the next election and a truly democratic government can come to power, not another rebranded Thaksin proxy government

• Like 1

The administration is fast reaching its used by date, hopefully it will be disbanded before the next election and a truly democratic government can come to power, not another rebranded Thaksin proxy government

A new election will see the same people in government. It will be a PTP / coalition government, except with PTP not having the majority of seats.

• Like 1

Great article telling it as is. thumbsup.gif

Actually it's a pathetic article with numerous errors.Its centrepiece is a Forbes article predicting a 1977 style crash.Since there was no such crash in 1977 one's confidence in its integrity is not exactly enhanced.I follow for business reasons several reputable political and economic forecasters.The political outlook is indeed very uncertain but Thailand's economic position, while facing some challenges, is very soild.If the US and Europe had Thailand's economic strength and resilience, its leaders would be delighted.

• Like 2

Great article telling it as is. thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif alt=thumbsup.gif width=25 height=19>

Actually it's a pathetic article with numerous errors.Its centrepiece is a Forbes article predicting a 1977 style crash.Since there was no such crash in 1977 one's confidence in its integrity is not exactly enhanced.I follow for business reasons several reputable political and economic forecasters.The political outlook is indeed very uncertain but Thailand's economic position, while facing some challenges, is very soild.If the US and Europe had Thailand's economic strength and resilience, its leaders would be delighted.

And if the US and Europe permitted the scale of black market activities mainstreaming in Thailand , Thai sex trade, and the lack of regulations there would be no stopping the US and European economies.

• Like 2

If I had to guess, I would say 1977 was a misprint which should have been 1997

So, it's a pathetic article because of a typo?

Forbes is not alone among the financial press in showing an amber light for Thailand's economy

Moody's themselves see enough issues to do so

• Like 2

I think thats a spelling mistake and is meant to read 1997 crash referring to the Tom Yam goong crisis.

If only the govt had just listened a bit to the gist of the sufficiency economy idea that was being recommended to them by benevolent powers, but no, they knew best with Thaksinomics.

Forbes is not alone among the financial press in showing an amber light for Thailand's economy

Of course it's a typo.I took that merely as an example of slovenly journalism.There are many other errors and misjudgements (in The Nation piece not the Forbes article which I haven't seen.Anyone able to link?)You mention Moodys.Actually my company subscribes to the full Thailand report and while, as I mentioned earlier there are some challenges in Thailand, the overall view is very favourable.None of this means I endorse all this government's economic policies (I don't - especially the rice pledge support scheme) but it is important not to exaggerate.The infrastructure plan of this government is in fact supported by the Democrats, the objection being to off balance sheet funding.

Of course it's a typo.I took that merely as an example of slovenly journalism.There are many other errors and misjudgements (in The Nation piece not the Forbes article which I haven't seen.Anyone able to link?)You mention Moodys.Actually my company subscribes to the full Thailand report and while, as I mentioned earlier there are some challenges in Thailand, the overall view is very favourable.None of this means I endorse all this government's economic policies (I don't - especially the rice pledge support scheme) but it is important not to exaggerate.The infrastructure plan of this government is in fact supported by the Democrats, the objection being to off balance sheet funding.

"Of course it's a typo.I took that ..." cheesy.gif

• Like 2

My suggestion is to throw out PTP, abandon the rice scheme, and put the the THB200 billion/year saved to infrastructure development. After 11 years, the THB2.2 trillion will be achieved without the subsequent 39 years (PTP estimate) of crippling repayments. If your forecast is correct, everything will be rosy.

• Like 1

You haven't a clue, or you've never made a typo... I think ti should have read '97

http://www.frbsf.org/economic-research/publications/economic-letter/1998/august/what-caused-east-asia-financial-crisis/

Edited by Local Drunk

A new election will see the same people in government. It will be a PTP / coalition government, except with PTP not having the majority of seats.

I agree, we can't change this they are too corrupt they stolen too much money and can pay of the dumb reds forever.

Why don't you find it yourself? I posted the link three days ago. Then you should read, consider, inwardly digest and tell us which is pathetic - the article, or someone who condemns it out of hand without having seeing it?

• Like 1

Why don't you find it yourself? I posted the link three days ago. Then you should read, consider, inwardly digest and tell us which is pathetic - the article, or someone who condemns it out of hand without having seeing it?

I didn't condemn the Forbes article.I commented on the rubbishy Nation article which mentioned it.If you can refer me (by which I mean exactly where you posted it) to the Forbes article article I will gladly comment on it.

I didn't condemn the Forbes article.I commented on the rubbishy Nation article which mentioned it.If you can refer me (by which I mean exactly where you posted it) to the Forbes article article I will gladly comment on it.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/679430-surapong-suggests-thai-amnesty-bill-opponents-turn-to-intl-court/

The farce has even caught Bloombergs notice today. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-11-07/thailand-s-big-brother-drama.html

Not many people left that are fooled by clan Shinawat.

It's certainly beginning to look that way both home and abroad.

This is a pretty scathing critique of the Shinawats. Won't make pleasant reading in Dubai or Norway or Hong Kong.

I don't know what report you are reading but the broad consensus is that Thailand faces very serious economic challenges over the next few quarters ( and probably years). Far more significant in nature than any short term fall in tourist numbers. Debt levels are at unsustainable levels now and yet this govt is promoting greater domestic spending through borrowing ( even ignoring the lunacy of rice pledging and new car scheme ). This is a government obsessed with staying in power no matter what the long term consequences for the Thai people and the country.

quote name="jayboy" post="7013668" timestamp="1383877042"]

It’s frustrating to think where Thailand might be today had the nation not squandered the last seven years on all things Thaksin. By overreaching so spectacularly with the amnesty bill, Yingluck displayed a level of cluelessness that will further hobble her ability to govern.

So true