No wonder why some end up with financial problems!

khunpa

You as a foreigner are not deemed worthy eonough to own land in Thailand. (there are a few ways around this corporate ownership etc...)

You can however own the home, I know that sounds ludicrous but it's true. You can own the house but not the land it sits on. Any way with that said.....

a solution is for you to buy the land in your wifes / gf's name. Have here give you a 30 or 90 year lease on the land for a few baht per month while of course mentioning in the paperwork the reason for the low lease price was that in fact you did pay for the land in the first place.

You may then build your new home in your name alone, jointly whatever you like.

There is a legal firm in Los Angeles that has offices here in Thailand that can handle all the paperwork for you. I only mention that because lawyers in the US have a slightly better set of rules they have to follow in representing therr clients than if you hire a Thai lawyer directly. And if problems later arise it would be the American firm with it's lawyers here representing you. That could be a + or -?

Good luck

Contracts between husband and wife are not legally binding in Thailand.

Surprised your US lawyers didn't mention that.

Looks like they aren't that good after all.

The UK branch probably represented your interests during your divorce

tongue.png

Edited by HardenedSoul

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh boy. We have another ringer.

You could do everything perfect to CYA when "buying a house" in Thailand with a woman. Think up any grand plan you wish such as leasing the land, a pre-nup, putting it in the name of a business...

But when the relationship goes sideways and the wife/girlfriend's "brothers" and his "friends" show up and order you to leave, you will leave. Got a court order. Great. See you in the bushes in the forest with your throat slit.

This is Thailand and you have no rights, and don't count on the rule of law or anything else to protect you.

And for any who would tell me "I've been happily married in Thailand for 15 years..." I can only tell you that is isn't over. I know two guys who's marriages broke up after 20 years, and a whole bunch more for longer than that in my own country, so you are still vulnerable.

Good luck.

• Like 2

This is Thailand and you have no rights, and don't count on the rule of law or anything else to protect you.

Good post and worth repeating.

My wife and I will build or purchase property soon enough and I'm comfortable in the knowledge that if circumstance goes belly up, or I die, then my lovely wife can retain the property as her residence, or, whatever.

I'm getting too old to be arguing the toss, if it came to it, and aware of my legal limitations.

Best give it up and move on.

Edited by wooloomooloo

In short OP is angry at this bank person simply for laughing at him and wondering why he needs insurance in case they break up. The bank person is just showcasing her opinion on the matter at hand. Her logic is if you are going to marry someone why would you need some form of insurance in case you divorce and that is why some couples don't like pre nups when they get married cos it's the issue of not trusting your partner. Mind you there isn't anything wrong with a pre nup but you do know that each individual has an opinion on it.

The curious question is that why did OP get so offended and angry at her and even used the excuse of her being a thai person to display such a mentality.

People that simply flare up for no apparent reason often have emotional issues.

My GF would have gotten up and walked out, without a word.

Not to mention, the OP has no idea what the conversation was really about.

Only what his gf told him, and let's face it, she wants the house 100% paid for and in her name.

For all the OP knows they might have been talking about the latest pop songs.

So true. Another reason to learn the language. The GF probably told the bank lady at the outset "convince this dufus to buy the house in my name." She was probably laughing out of embarassment for the OP as he was coming across as a complete moron.

ROFL you see this is the sort of predicament and situation that well i suppose could be described as an oxymoron. When you enter into a relationship with someone aren't you supposed to trust someone so why the need for insurance for lack of a better word. The situation does look like a relationship of convinence especially quoting ad verbatim from the op himself when he described the 2nd scenerio of him getting thrown out of the house by the gf and i believe he actually got his gf to translate and tell that to the bank person. The bank person obviously found that humerous but not in a mocking manner but rather well in an amusing type of way like the OP probably doesn't really trust his girl friend and pre nups in the west show that people don't put in due consideration when they married. They simply leave whenever they encounter small problems or rather maybe the want to scam someone into marrying them in the hopes of getting their money but you know that the majority of marriages aren't due to trying to cheat someone else.

He says he was expecting her to congratulate him on his financial astuteness. When she did not comply he became enraged.

Not only that but he wrote an entire essay and used the reaction of one thai woman as a blanket statement on the entire banking system of thailand and all bank employees.

I wonder is it even worth it to get that worked up when one is in a relationship with a thai woman. Seeing all the risks i wonder why did he even bother to get a thai girlfriend. He might as well have written my female companion that also doubles up as my sex partner while i am living in this foreign country.

• Like 1

If you can't walk away from a house that you paid cash for and not have it destroy you finanicially, then you have no business buying a house. But if you have the money and you have sincere trust in your lady - what's the harm in building a nice house. Especially, if you have kids together.

I believe most of the nay-sayers are in the low income bracket and are unable to plop down 2-3 million baht comfortably.

But, if you sell everything in your home land, find a lady, she kicks you out and you're finanically strapped and forever hateful then Sum num na.

cheers

• Like 2

If you can't walk away from a house that you paid cash for and not have it destroy you finanicially, then you have no business buying a house. But if you have the money and you have sincere trust in your lady - what's the harm in building a nice house. Especially, if you have kids together.

I believe most of the nay-sayers are in the low income bracket and are unable to plop down 2-3 million baht comfortably.

But, if you sell everything in your home land, find a lady, she kicks you out and you're finanically strapped and forever hateful then Sum num na.

cheers

You said:

"I believe most of the nay-sayers are in the low income bracket and are unable to plop down 2-3 million baht comfortably."

But in his OP, he said:

"I explained to her, that if we buy a house in only my girlfriends name, problems can arise if we at some point break up. Problems like e.g.:

1) I leave her and she is left alone with the monthly payments, which she will not be able to pay.

2) She throws me out of the house, which I have paid my fair share of and then I would have nothing."

He doesn't sound like a high roller to me. He sounds like someone who's trying to finance a house in Thailand to live in with a girlfriend. The rest of it is speculation on my part, but how many conclusions could one reach?

Not many on here would do that, skint or not.

• Like 2

Buying a home in a company's name using the cash reserves of the company is one thing.

Getting a bank to loan a company money so the company can buy a residence for the private benefit of the company principals is something else.

Sorry RS can't use quote on your post, as you screwed around with the "quote" function.

So

Foreigner can no longer buy house in company name.

A small and easy search of the company records will find any foreigner shareholdings, and a prompt refusal to register the property in that company name will be forthcoming. (and that's 'too challenging' not 'to challenging')

You are suggesting that a legitimate company with a foreign share holder cannot own a property in Thailand ?

I agree that small companies with foreign share holders are now under greater scrutiny. And a 'sham company' set up for the sole purpose of owning a property in Thailand will face greater barriers and possibly / probably rejection.

We don't know if the Ops company is fully legitimate or not. If the company is valid, its still a viable option.

A Company can buy a house that the foreigner lives in, the company is not permitted to sell the house unless through a majority.

I'm suggesting the land offices won't let small companies with foreign shareholders register a house through the company any more. As far as I know this pathway has now been entirely blocked.

It would be interesting to hear if anyone has managed to do it this year, legit or sham company.

PS

I bought a house (provided the deposit) for my wife this year, home loan in her name with 15% deposit, repayments over 25 years. I do speak Thai, despite the bank official only wanting to speak with her, wife had no idea about repayments, interest rates, life insurance. So they had to talk with me.

The biggest problem was finding the house, buying second-hand gave great opportunity for the house vendor and my wife to conspire together to up the purchase price by 500,000bht and split it. My wife isn't different, she will 'earn a commission' like many Thai ladies, given half a chance. Had to buy from a developer from a fixed price list in the end, if there was a 'commission', it was really, really small.

If you don't understand enough Thai to know when you are being cheated, watch out.

Huh? Your wife is conspiring against you on a deal and you haven't booted her out, worse, you still bought her a house? <deleted>

cheers

For anyone who is not a multi $ millionaire then dropping 2-3 million baht is not something that should be taken as a joke. In my home country that would equate to around £40-60k. Why does it have to destroy someone financially for it to be issue? Why does it have to be taken to that extreme? Can it not just be considered an unwise and risky investment to build a house on land you do not own?

Spot on to both of your replies.

Onto 5 pages now and it still looks a mess, but in reality a very easy one with only 2 real conclusions and not only counting this thread but countless many others it should be blatently obvious by now what they are.

Sadly it's not!!!

cheers

How many are in the income bracket to give away 50,000UKP ($75,000, 2M5Bht)?

And when it all goes wrong, how many can give it away again, and again.

You think someone who can't afford to waste 50,000UKP is 'low-income'

That's a years wages 'tax-free' of quite a high income person.

cheers

How many are in the income bracket to give away 50,000UKP ($75,000, 2M5Bht)?

And when it all goes wrong, how many can give it away again, and again.

You think someone who can't afford to waste 50,000UKP is 'low-income'

That's a years wages 'tax-free' of quite a high income person.

I never mentioned the word "waste" Anyone who takes up with a lady who is 25 yrs. younger would be retarded not to have at least a small doubt as to what the future holds. I'm one of those guys who dove in and after a few years had a baby together. All is well and life is good. But if ever I had to walk away I would be happy my baby has a nice place and my life would continue - no problem. But, But I would certainly never do it again. My only point is if you can't afford it don't do it. If you do have the money to spare then go for it. No risk - no gain.

I bet the bargirls of THainland would be highly insulted to know they are not part of the REAL thailand. They are every bit as real as a farang going to buy a house with his gf. ITS the gfs house fella---wake up and smell the som tam.

Tell girl friend marry first house 2nd- see how fast she run.

Inept bank employees are not the reason for so many trubbled farangs. The reason so many are financially in despair is because they buy house with girlfriends.

Edited by oogster8

Foreigner can't buy a house in Thailand.

Entire discussion pointless.

They were either laughing at your stupidity, or your gullibility.

He knows he can't own the crib that's why he plans to buy it in the joint company's name. Talk about pointless.

Similar story with UK bank. I used to go into the branch almost every week. Introduced my wife when we married. All the girls there were keen to see my son when he was born, talk about Thai food, Thai holidays etc. When my daughter was born I went to open an account for her as some of my uncles had sent cheques. I was asked for "proof of address - utility bill ect. I had accounts with that bank for over 30 years, we had joint accounts and my son had an account. No - they wouldn't budge, Seems to be a banking thing. No one in banks will risk common senses anymore.

These things are closely audited. They have to do them to be allowed to operate as a bank. The staff don't have a say in the matter. Rules are a lot stricter now because of anti terrorism and money laundering regulations.

i was a manager in barclays bank,and even i had a proplem trying to open a bank account,at the branch i used to be manager, for my thai wife,without the proof of address visas and other proof,they certinally dont discriminate,saying that would not have it any other way,good protection for bank customers.

He knows he can't own the crib that's why he plans to buy it in the joint company's name. Talk about pointless.

Has no one informed you all that a foreigner can buy a house in Thailand no problem? Can't buy the land but the house is no problem.

Has no one informed you all that a foreigner can buy a house in Thailand no problem?   Can't buy the land but the house is no problem.

Land. Whatever. The house is on the land, man.

Has no one informed you all that a foreigner can buy a house in Thailand no problem? Can't buy the land but the house is no problem.

No one informed you that you can get a legal contract on the use of the house man?

Has no one informed you all that a foreigner can buy a house in Thailand no problem?   Can't buy the land but the house is no problem.

No one informed you that you can get a legal contract on the use of the house man?

I don't get it. You can buy the house. So you can be the owner of the house. And as an owner you can get a legal contract to use the house that you already own? Sounds good, I might give it a try. But still no land whatsoever because that you cannot own.

I don't get it. You can buy the house. So you can be the owner of the house. And as an owner you can get a legal contract to use the house that you already own? Sounds good, I might give it a try. But still no land whatsoever because that you cannot own.

Ask a lawyer to tell you about Thai Usufruct contract between husband and wife to protect personal real estate. A right of usufruct is often used to protect a foreign spouse in Thailand.

My post was actually not about buying a house, but trying to illustrate the kind of "strange" situations you can experience when living here. And this is far from the first time I experience this. Have had a lot of "funny" and "weird" situations with lawyers too here - where I sometimes shake my head due to their incompetence.

Anyway, for some readers, my story about a simple meeting in a bank turns out to conclude:

1) My girlfriend is a prostitute and a gold-digger with an evil mindset to try and cheat me for money.

2) My girlfriend and the bank-woman have a conspiracy against me.

3) I am stupid, because my girlfriend and I want to buy a home here in Thailand.

4) I do not trust my girlfriend and that is why I think it is a bad idea, to put the home in her name only.

5) Because she is my girlfriend and not my wife, then she is just my sex partner.

I have no idea, how people can reach these conclusions - beside maybe guessing that some people must know only Thai-women of a certain kind. Anyway, conclude what you want, although this was actually not the purpose of the story.

Ask a lawyer to tell you about Thai Usufruct contract between husband and wife to protect personal real estate. A right of usufruct is often used to protect a foreign spouse in Thailand.

I actually see the sharing ownership of a house, as a protection for both parties. Lets say we go the the bank and put down a small prepayment and make an arrangement to pay of the house in e.g. 20 years. Something happens and suddenly, she is alone with the payments. The house is then taken over by the bank and sold at a low price, meaning she is left alone with the original and remaining debt.

Protection is for me a TWO-way thing and it has nothing to do with distrust or not loving someone. Actually, I believe that if you really love someone, then you also try to make sure that the person you love, can avoid getting into trouble. This is how people think in most other parts of the world. Why should it be different in Thailand?