Coalition make public promise not to reaffirm Thai amnesty bill

webfact

Coalition make public promise not to reaffirm amnesty bill
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Pheu Thai Party and its three main coalition partners Saturday made a public promise that they would not reaffirm the passage of the amnesty bill after it is rejected by the Senate.

The public promise is announced at press conference held by the leaders of the four parties - Pheu Thai, Chart Pattana, Chart Thai Pattana and Palang Chon.

The public contract was signed by Pheu Thai leader Charupong Ruangsuwan, Chart Thai Pattana leader Thira Wongsamut, Chart Pattana leader Wannarat Charnnukul, and Palang Chon leader Sonthaya Khunplume.

The coalition made the move following a suggestion by rectors and executives of universities that the coalition partners should issue a public contract that they would not reaffirm the draft 180 days after the bill is rejected by the Senate.

The universities' executives gave the suggestion during a meeting with the education minister and some government leaders on Friday.

In a joint statement, the coalition announced that the bill would not be taken up for deliberation again and would be left to lapse in line with the provision of the Constitution.

Charupong told the press conference that the public promise should pacify the public and should guarantee that the coalition would not make an about-face on the amnesty bill.

Pheu Thai secretary-general Phumtham Wechayachai said the public promise should prove the sincerity of the coalition.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-09

If they are really sincere why don't they call an emergence sitting of parliament and vote to withdraw the bill from the senate and to scrap it completely?

Does the promise include not to use an emergency decree as per the taped conversation?

• Like 1

The coalition made the move following a suggestion by rectors and executives of universities that the coalition partners should issue a public contract that they would not reaffirm the draft 180 days after the bill is rejected by the Senate.

But it's okay 181 days and thereafter?????????

But it's okay 181 days and thereafter?????????

Yes it is, unless it's amended beforehand. That's the problem, and that's why it needs (1) to wait until Monday; and (2) to be amended to eliminate references to amnesty for the big fish - Abhisit, Suthep and of course Thaksin.

• Like 1

Let thaksin come back and let the people deal with him.

Then it will be entirely clear what the country wants.

Let it all end once and for all.

I know you know there is absolutely nothing stopping Thaksin from coming back to Thailand. What happens once he is here is an entirely different matter. But, no-one is stopping him.

I wonder if the government will shut down their proganda shows traveling the country?

Will they drop the murder charges against the democrat leaders

If not, will they issue a International request for detention and return to Thailand of Thaksin?

With the latest subtle threat to protestors, why not put unbaised observors at the potential flash points?

There are so many things that the government has already done, which the majority see as wrong, yet they take virtually very few positive actions to solve the publics concerns. It seems that the remedial action/proposals they are making have come from pressures applied by none govement groups. If ever a government was out of touch with the public they are there to serve, this one seems to be.

• Like 1

The public contract was signed by Pheu Thai leader Charupong Ruangsuwan, Chart Thai Pattana leader Thira Wongsamut, Chart Pattana leader Wannarat Charnnukul, and Palang Chon leader Sonthaya Khunplume.

Why it wasn't signed by the one who is actually in charge, Prime minister Thaksin oops Yingluck

The Pheu Thai Party and its three main coalition partners Saturday made a public promise that they would not reaffirm the passage of the amnesty bill after it is rejected by the Senate.

The two versions Chalerm is suggesting currently are better ? I assume they include Thaksin but not Abhisit and Suthep.

He has other charges facing him bring him back and let him face them in Yala.

that will assure that it will end once and for all.

36_12_16.gif

• Like 1

It is not as simple as returning Thaksin. The bill amnesties current politicians' graft and corruption in the Rice Scheme, etc. To me, that part of the bill is worse than whitewashing Thaksin. Once the precedence is set that politicians can engage in illegal activities and then pass amnesty for themselves... well, you're a bright guy; you can see where that will lead.

• Like 1

I wonder if the government will shut down their proganda shows traveling the country?

Will they drop the murder charges against the democrat leaders

If not, will they issue a International request for detention and return to Thailand of Thaksin?

With the latest subtle threat to protestors, why not put unbaised observors at the potential flash points?

There are so many things that the government has already done, which the majority see as wrong, yet they take virtually very few positive actions to solve the publics concerns. It seems that the remedial action/proposals they are making have come from pressures applied by none govement groups. If ever a government was out of touch with the public they are there to serve, this one seems to be.

Ran out of I likes again.

This is a case of needing a I really really like this button.

I see now where they are trying to drag the other parties into their fiasco.

Cheap talk when it comes to action all they do is try to persecute the Democrats. I see where they had one of their flunkies lodge a complaint trying to get the Democrats disbanded.

You say

yet they take virtually very few positive actions to solve the publics concerns

Do that bunch of chowder heads even know what the public's concerns are?

The best description of them I can think of is.36_12_8.gif

Monday is going to be interesting and sad, I think. I wish I did not believe it, but I do.

We have a covert military buildup at the Preah Vihar temple on both sides, and have popular Thai journalists calling for cyber attacks at the ICJ website, and warfare at the border if the decision goes the way everyone expects it to go (against the Thai claim). Where are the charges for inciting violence?

We have protestors in large numbers not just protesting amnesty, that is quite probably a dead issue, but are now calling to dissolve the elected government (which the red shirts naturally see as a way for the shadow government to have a coup without the military). And here come the red shirts to protest the protest, in numbers probably equal to the current protest. The people who have wealth here are angry some would take a piece away, and Thaksin will never have a seat at the members only club. The poor here blame the middle class for their plight (a misplaced and pyroclastic hatred).

This stalemate is volatile, precarious, and ultimately explosive.

What a foolish buildup of civilians being used as human shields in the power struggle between the shadow government and Thaksin! Where are the charges for inciting violence?

Having adversaries in such proximities is inherently dangerous. 'Wars have begun that way, Mr. Ambassador.'

Monday is going to be interesting, if you think Monday mourning is interesting. I personally do not know anyone who likes Monday mourning...including myself.

ohmy.png

Why it wasn't signed by the one who is actually in charge, Prime minister Thaksin oops Yingluck

Signature does not matter. It is not even a contract, just a piece of paper that has nothing to do in the legislation process at all.

Edited by ridkun

Monday is going to be interesting and sad, I think. I wish I did not believe it, but I do.

We have a covert military buildup at the Preah Vihar temple on both sides, and have popular Thai journalists calling for cyber attacks at the ICJ website, and warfare at the border if the decision goes the way everyone expects it to go (against the Thai claim). Where are the charges for inciting violence?

We have protestors in large numbers not just protesting amnesty, that is quite probably a dead issue, but are now calling to dissolve the elected government (which the red shirts naturally see as a way for the shadow government to have a coup without the military). And here come the red shirts to protest the protest, in numbers probably equal to the current protest. The people who have wealth here are angry some would take a piece away, and Thaksin will never have a seat at the members only club. The poor here blame the middle class for their plight (a misplaced and pyroclastic hatred).

This stalemate is volatile, precarious, and ultimately explosive.

What a foolish buildup of civilians being used as human shields in the power struggle between the shadow government and Thaksin! Where are the charges for inciting violence?

Having adversaries in such proximities is inherently dangerous. 'Wars have begun that way, Mr. Ambassador.'

Monday is going to be interesting, if you think Monday mourning is interesting. I personally do not know anyone who likes Monday mourning...including myself.

ohmy.png

Monday might be interesting about 10pm in Thailand when the verdict is made public in The Netherlands.

Tuesday promises to be a bit more lively as the reality sets in whatever the decision by the ICJ.