Can I bring sausages into Thailand?

Shoeboat

Just give me your flight number and arrival date and I'll square it off with the lads. My fee is modest.

My ex always brings me cheese and salami when she comes back from Germany - no problems. Not a bad ex, eh? Some people marry the wrong one - I divorced the wrong one.

I know how you feel my ex and I are still good friends. Looking back if I had worked with my ex harder on our marriage instead of trying to find love else where we might still have been married. I remarried and now have another great lady in my life and two more great children.

I've come through Swampy two dozen times and to this day I have not seen a customs official. I always arrive at 1am, which probably has something to do with it.

Meat pies are my nemesis and I bring more each time I come. Case was 20% meat product last time I arrived. whistling.gif

How do you do the pies?

My Lassie got the taste for a chunky beef one in Australia (that and a French Vanilla Slice) ... what's the process for freezing, wrapping for flight, keeping it cool so it doesn't spoil etc ... how do you do it?

Only because it is in the general topics........anywhere else and I would not point out........I would possibly refrain from using the words....

"My lassie" and "got the taste for a chunky beef one" in the same sentence. Not sure what a French Vanilla Slice is.......

French Vanilla Slice is two pieces of flaky pasty type stuff with a jellified custard in between . Quite nice but as a kid we always called them snot pies which is a bit off putting. .

last year I brought 2 pieces of cryovaced aged rib eye fillet(almost 5kg) in without any hastles, it was late at night though and at the Phuket airport. They were brilliant too, all our thai friends raved about the steaks I did on the BBQ.

david

everytime i come over from new zealand i freeze my sausages then put them in silver foil then in a freezer bag by the time i get here they have not thawed out

When up in the air,do the temperature in luggage hall gets to freezing?

Considering they put peoples pets in the luggage hold I suspect it does not get to freezing point.

It's up to the pilot

david

everytime i come over from new zealand i freeze my sausages then put them in silver foil then in a freezer bag by the time i get here they have not thawed out

When up in the air,do the temperature in luggage hall gets to freezing?

Considering they put peoples pets in the luggage hold I suspect it does not get to freezing point.

It's up to the pilot

Well yes it is up to the pilot and difference sections of the cargo hold can be heated/cooled individually but even then none go to freezing point.

A Welshman told me he brought in two sides of lamb, still attached together with the wool on. Being a Kiwi, I was both disbelieving and envious. whistling.gif

me being a welshman i got stopped once bringing in a bird wrapped in a wooly coat how the fk they knew she was a bar girl,

i paid the fine and well you know the rest.tongue.png

• Like 1

To avoid detection by sniffer dogs. You vacuum seal the food, then you wash the sealed bags with a weak water and bleach solution. When drying the bags be careful not to use a cloth with any odours on it and handle with clean hands. Brought in dried meat (jerky) etc etc over the years with no problem. Illegal but tasty.

To avoid detection by sniffer dogs. You vacuum seal the food, then you wash the sealed bags with a weak water and bleach solution. When drying the bags be careful not to use a cloth with any odours on it and handle with clean hands. Brought in dried meat (jerky) etc etc over the years with no problem. Illegal but tasty.

Um....I suspect you're getting away with it (like the rest of us), is because Thai immigration don't care, don't look, don't have dogs trained to look, and if they do catch you they don't do anything anyway.

If you want to check out the validity of your theory, try that process with some tasty chicken morsels and take them home to your country and see if you avoid detection.

Good luck. whistling.gif

• Like 1

The risk ist acceptable. Probability to be checked is low.

Just avoid any of the high risk goods as an addon (tobacco, alcohol),

Punishment for those is ridicolously hard.

Don't carry any duty free bags with you!

Why not?

Because it attracts the attention of duty officers, assuming that you have stuff over the limit.

I was once followed by a plaincloth guy after leaving tha plane, very likely because I carried such a bag openly.

Plaincloth: those easy recognizable guys in white T-shirt, dark long trousers, shining shoes and big amulet on a necklace biggrin.png

Yes you can if you don't want to take 10 kilos, and if you smart a bit.

You have to wrap tie your sausages put to news paper also and place to your checked suitcase. No-one will bother you about them.

Some-one told here "can be bought in Tesco Lotus" my answer for it : Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. You can buy, but this is very very far from GOOD sausages which you can purchase in Chech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia and Transylvania (NOT NOT NOT romania), all other solution is FAKE.

A buddy of mine brought in 15 lbs frozen salmon in his suitcase. It was very tasty. I have brought in rig eye steaks before too. But if you get caught it is illegal to import meats without a license.

I make this announcement on my flights into BKK

Ladies and Gentleman

The importation of meat and meat products into the Kingdom of Thailand is straightly prohibited.

If you have meat or meat products in your possession please declare them to the Customs officer in the red channel.

Failure to do so may result in heavy fines or imprisonment.

In saying that, this PA was brought out during the mad cow disease out break about 12 years ago in the UK and Europe.

Many people do bring it in, myself included, but Air crews bags never get checked at BKK, but do it at your own risk which I would say is minimal.

I bought a good soft cooler from an upscale outdoors store in USA. I Vaccum lock and freeze steaks, sausage, roasts, blocks of cheese. I take the meat out of the freezer just before I leave for airport. I bring as a carry on, so if there is any problem I am there to prove that is is US Grade A meat and make sure it get all the way to Thailand with me.

If you wrap in foil that will help a lot, but vacuum pack frozen would be the best. I do not know about other countries and whether they have the standards of inspecting meat that would pass through. I only know that I have no problem going from USA to Thailand, did it many times. Beats having to eat the sub-standard or overpriced beef you can get in Thailand. You get what you pay for

The risk ist acceptable. Probability to be checked is low.

Just avoid any of the high risk goods as an addon (tobacco, alcohol),

Punishment for those is ridicolously hard.

Don't carry any duty free bags with you!

WHAAAT?? So I can't bring back any Becherovka?

I was going to bring back three bottles - which are not much bigger than the small, hip flask-esque Sang Som ones. I'd keep them in my main suitcase and maybe one in my carry on. Is that now gonna be a risk?

Customs/immigration couldn't handle a drink like that anyway.

Edited by Shoeboat

No bother, brought sausages, bacon & cheese in before.

I just freeze, wrap in newspaper, put in one of those flexible cool bags & then into the checked-in baggage.

No issues getting it all from the UK, without defrosting issues thumbsup.gif