Foreign tourist beaten unconscious, robbed by Thai gang in Pattaya

webfact

Maybe the poor guy was just a first time tourist taken in by the scam tourism video put out by TAT showing Thailand as a beautiful safe place to enjoy sunsets and sunrises.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kzajrwAz9m8

Maybe TAT should have inserted some fine print at then stating. "If you attend a sunrise you run a high degree of risk of being attacked, robbed, or even killed in our beautiful welcoming land. Photographs of sunrises are available in our duty free stores at departure lounges for you holiday pleasures".

• Like 1

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good advertising for the Land of Smiles. Some places in Thailand have become very dangerous, no week without violence against tourists. Time has come to move to other countries and spend the money there. TAT, did you hear that?

The "very" dangerous places in Thailand is still only the 3 restive areas in the deep South thumbsup.gif .

• Like 1

This sort of cowardly attack and robbery is an offence to civilised behaviour. That said, I recall my teenage years in Glasgow, when many parts of the city were unsafe late at night and in the wee small hours. Violent attacks on individuals and small groups walking home by larger groups resulting in serious injury and sometimes death were not uncommon. The motive for the attacks was not related to robbery. Just "hard men" demonstrating their power. The "boys" were bored and just having fun. I suppose all I am saying is this kind of behaviour is not unique to Thailand ......................

That is a very good point. Personally I think Pattaya is 100 times safer than most UK cities are at 330am. The number of drunken yobs, some of whom are female, being bundled into police vans every Saturday night in Liverpool, London, Glasgow, Newcastle etc etc etc puts incidents like this one in context. It's best to use common sense wherever you go, generally walking about very drunk at 330am anywhere on your own is pretty dim.

Drunks get rolled everywhere on a daily basis...not really a concern unless you're a public drunk too out in public at 3;30 in the morning.

I am guessing he was on his holidays.

And as a tourist city Pattaya should offer all-comers security.

I personally do not know how drunk this guy was... he may have appeared worse for wear after the beating.

Get your fingers out of your asses Pattaya Police... where were you?

This is the corner of Pattaya Tai and Beach Rd, very close to the entrance to 'The Famous Walking St'... which is busy at this time.

I am suspicious there is a Police Box near there.

Despicable lowlifes these gang members.

Edited by jacko45k

Drunks get rolled everywhere on a daily basis...not really a concern unless you're a public drunk too out in public at 3;30 in the morning.

I am guessing he was on his holidays.

And as a tourist city Pattaya should offer all-comers security.

I personally do not know how drunk this guy was... he may have appeared worse for wear after the beating.

Get your fingers out of your asses Pattaya Police... where were you?

This is the corner of Pattaya Tai and Beach Rd, very close to the entrance to 'The Famous Walking St'... which is busy at this time.

I am suspicious there is a Police Box near there.

Despicable lowlifes these gang members.

That is why the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) set up the tourists courts to provide "Protection to Tourists" These courts were suppose to reduce the number of attacks on tourists. This court concept has been a huge failure.

"Tourism Minister Somsak Phurisrisak said on Monday that the idea of the tourist court establishment was conceived to provide fair and better protection to visiting travelers after more and more have been reportedly harmed while traveling in Thailand".

whilst you should be able to sit alone on beach road drunk at 3.30 in the morning without any problem but we know that is asking for trouble. More often than not it would have been ladyboys that would have been the attackers. Take care of yourself get drunk with friends.

who in his right mind would be sitting at the beach in pattaya at 3:30 in the morning! easy pickings, unless you are acting as bait to get back at those cowards.

Ive been attacked a couple of times over the last few years. I think the problem is Thai tolerance. Both times were in very public places with a lot of people around, one time including policemen. They werent robberies, they were random attacks by drug addicts but the Thais seem to think its acceptable, in fact Im grateful they didnt join in as they often do. I was helped out by other tourists. I also believe Thai TV doesnt help. Its all mindless violence and even the protests I saw on TV today are trying to incite public violence in my view.

I had a relative who lived in Pattaya and when i stayed with him i would watch the news and the most common thing about these kind of attacks , other than they were perpetrated by cowards, was that they happened , " in the early hours of the morning ". So i always made sure i was not wandering about but safely home before then. Its almost like a kind of evil awakens and emerges at that time , either fuelled by alcohol and drugs or taking advantage of people inebriated and unaware . Doesnt matter if its Bangkok, Chiang Mai or rural Thailand , or even my small seaside home town in Oz , I just wont go out anymore......i hope they get the guys . Im actually amazed at how many times the Pattaya police do find their man. .

I think people should learn how to watch TV........you aren't going to make news with headlines like "No attacks today" or Nothing much happened" - the news in Pattaya is SUPPLIED largely by the police - who have little knowledge of media (or legal procedure it would seem) - they just like having pictures of themselves on TV - so all you get is that. Without the police the news teams in Pattaya would have nothing to do.

One reason why farangs get attacked may be how they present themselves to Thai people. Perhaps they appear 'cocky'?

More than likely the theifs spot a white tourist and think that he has something worth stealing. Or is it you who think farangs are cocky?

One reason why farangs get attacked may be how they present themselves to Thai people. Perhaps they appear 'cocky'?

More than likely the theifs spot a white tourist and think that he has something worth stealing. Or is it you who think farangs are cocky?

I've been to Thailand many times and always see the same type of people getting into trouble.

I've been to Thailand many times and always see the same type of people getting into trouble.

What, drunks getting rolled in Pattaya? (pretty much the arse of Thailand in many ways) I used to live in Pattaya in my more reckless days, I know what happens there.

What, drunks getting rolled in Pattaya? (pretty much the arse of Thailand in many ways) I used to live in Pattaya in my more reckless days, I know what happens there.

similar to asians getting walloped in UK, but can we blame the Brits?

similar to asians getting walloped in UK, but can we blame the Brits?

Totally different countries, in many aspects. I am from the UK and it has a large Asian population and considered a lot safer for tourists. Although anyone can be in the wrong place at the wrong time in any place, just in Pattaya the chances are higher of being in an unfortunate situation due to the kind of place it is.

• Like 1

I am not so sure if this was an "innocent" russian tourist. Maybe he is a Russian expat, maybe he did something in the past to peovoke the attack. As long as we don't know the full story we should stop to speculate.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

cheesy.gifclap2.gif

• Like 1

The knicker wetting on here never ceazes to amaze me. Drunks get mugged all over the world.

Bunch of drama queens at a Mothers meeting.

Surely the brown nose slobbering thai apologists, that defend muggers are the real "knicker wetters". and who told you he was drunk. Wise up, and go and dry your knickers.

• Like 1

The knicker wetting on here never ceazes to amaze me. Drunks get mugged all over the world.

Bunch of drama queens at a Mothers meeting.

Surely the brown nose slobbering thai apologists, that defend muggers are the real "knicker wetters". and who told you he was drunk. Wise up, and go and dry your knickers.

I haven't read any posts "defending muggers". Just some who rightly think mugging is not a uniquely Thai problem.

The best thing you can do is take an equalizer with you.I'm not talking about a gun.Not easy for many farangs to get.Anyway I always have A fighting chance.Most of the time when A group knows you mean business,they back off.

Axe? Armoured assault vehicle? You've lost me, what is your equalizer?

meet some kids last night, 12 years old, they already are holding broken bottles and have no sense of humor, they are brought up that way, they had this older woman who was baby sitting them, mid 20s, as a slave, she was in fear and crying, I was watching my back as well, be very careful out there, a lot of people in Pattaya are totally feral

gutless cowards. More 500 baht fines to be issued at the tourist court and it will be back to business.

Now w e know what the new 500 baht entry fee is for on arrival/departure its a " good beating payment"

Humans?

The best thing you can do is take an equalizer with you.I'm not talking about a gun.Not easy for many farangs to get.Anyway I always have A fighting chance.Most of the time when A group knows you mean business,they back off.

Axe? Armoured assault vehicle? You've lost me, what is your equalizer?

Perhaps for some of us, what we were taught is usually enough. smile.png BUT, if the problem has a shooter l will call them SIR. laugh.png

Ok, something is strange here. First, that area, even at 3am, has a decent number of people around -- albeit mostly drunk. So those criminals are pretty daring to try something like that. And second, even if startled, why would they leave the necklace etc behind? If it was a robbery for cash, they would have run...but holding their loot.

I'm willing to bet there's more to this.

Yours truly...The Armchair Detective.

Hmmm..

And attacking a complete stranger is not cocky???

A lot of cases the victims weren't particularly presenting themselves at all.

There is no doubt a lot of Pattaya tourists have little respect..... the shirtless shoppers etc.

Edited by jacko45k

Hmmm..

And attacking a complete stranger is not cocky???

A lot of cases the victims weren't particularly presenting themselves at all.

There is no doubt a lot of Pattaya tourists have little respect..... the shirtless shoppers etc.

When I was in Thailand, often farangs behave as if they are kings. I'm only referring to male farangs, not female farangs. My honest observation only.