Thaksin 'opposes House dissolution and Yingluck's resignation'

webfact

POLITICS
Thaksin 'opposes House dissolution and Yingluck's resignation'

The Nation

30219332-01_big.gif
Thousands of people opposing the controversial amnesty bill gather at Democracy Monument yesterday.

BANGKOK: -- Despite the mounting pressure against his sister's embattled government, ex-prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra yesterday instructed the ruling Pheu Thai Party to cling on to power in the hope the opposition-led rally against the amnesty bill would die down soon, a Pheu Thai source said yesterday.

Thaksin, who is believed to be pulling strings behind the ruling party, disagreed with an idea for Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to dissolve the House of Representatives, according to the source.

He believed the anti-amnesty protest, now centring around the Democracy Monument, would fizzle soon after "the funds run out" and the Senate rejects the government-backed amnesty bill. He wanted Pheu Thai MPs to help retain the government's status quo, the source said.

Ruling politicians presented a number of possible solutions to Thaksin, including House dissolution and the PM's resignation, but the ex-leader disagreed with those proposals, according to the source.

In a bid to further pressure the government, nine MPs from the opposition Democrat Party yesterday announced their plans to resign, at the protest site at the Democracy Monument.

Suthep Thaugsuban and eight other Democrat MPs would resign their seats to be able to turn their full attention to leading the protest against the government, a party source said. Among the MPs who would resign are Thavorn Senneam, Satit Wongnongtaey, Witthaya Kaewparadai, Issara Somchai, and Chumpol Jullasai.

The party source said Suthep decided during a party discussion yesterday to resign so he could lead the protest without worrying that his role would lead to legal action against the party and to its dissolution.

Initially, the party had resolved to allow Democrat MPs to resign of their own volition. However, with the party worried about the by-elections coming up in 45 days, it decided only a few could resign. Many more Democrat MPs would resign if the government remains adamant, the Democrat source said.

Stocks take a hit

The political situation negatively affected the stocks and the baht yesterday.

The baht fell to a 7-week low at 31.62 per US dollar, weakening by 0.70 from Friday's closing. The SET index closed at 1,405.91 points.

Traffic congestion in many areas of Bangkok worsened yesterday as anti-amnesty protesters gathered at four locations in inner city areas - Silom, Asoke, Ari and Saphan Kwai - before marching to Democracy Monument, where the main protest site was located.

Many business firms cancelled events scheduled for yesterday and later this week, citing severe traffic congestion in the city and the political situation. They included Charoen Pokphand Foods, Kasikorn Bank, and Seacon Group.

The Government Housing Bank announced the closure of its two branches near Ratchadamnoen Road from yesterday until tomorrow.

The Thai Chamber of Commerce planned an urgent press conference today about its concern over possible negative impacts on the country's economy from the ongoing political situation.

Meanwhile, the Council of University Presidents of Thailand yesterday offered to mediate in the conflict between the government and its opponents.

The council of rectors held a meeting at Chulalongkorn University and came up with a resolution to offer to mediate the conflicts between the two sides. The meeting was attended by the rectors of 26 universities. The council has 27 member universities.

Thammasat University rector Prof Somkid Lertpaitoon, who serves as the council's president, said the current political landscape was changing very fast and could lead to violence.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-12

• Like 1

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is shaping up into a triple win....  Thaksin has way overplayed his hand, and at this point in time

has seemingly lost. His taking off of the velvet glove and showing the iron fist by barking out orders to PTP

is just becoming ludicrous at this point, and a national embarrassment.

Win # 1.  Thailand is free of Thaksin forever when his puppet government falls

Win # 2.  With Yingluck removed from " power", she will now be free to shop full time without criticism.

Win # 3.  WIth no hope of Thaksin returning back here, Chalerm will have to behead himself according to

his promise. This could be the biggest win of all for Thailand !!!!

I drink to that.:D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So is anyone curious about who is Deep throat here.................. Who is it that passes on what Thasin says (minutes) after he has said it to his "loyal" (?) Government members -& doesn't his party ever want to find out.

• Like 1

So is anyone curious about who is Deep throat here.................. Who is it that passes on what Thasin says (minutes) after he has said it to his "loyal" (?) Government members -& doesn't his party ever want to find out.

Linda Lovelace ! ..oh sorry ... It's SKYPE clap2.gif

• Like 1

Too Late Mister T

You wasted a very good and kind woman- your sister- for your own selfishness.

It's not all about you a...hole!

I pray that the real reds tear down your ugly pictures-

Welcome to the history of Revolutions-

You failed the first test of a true revolutionary:

"I am the leader - therefore I must follow'. (Lamarque)

And you didn't follow.

You wasted a very good and kind woman- your sister. Can you explain how you might have arrived at that idea or opinion.

'good and kind' that's an oxymoron. A Shinawatra (any Shinawatra) cannot be so described. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

This bullsh_t of going to Thaksin all the time for directions, really shows the level of ineptitude of the ruling party members....they are totally unable to think rationally for themselves...let alone for the country.

Ricefield politics on show!

English language lesson Number 1.

L O S E

Now go away, and if you would be so kind, take the trash with you.

Wow! Why so much passion and hatred for what's going on in Thai politics. We are foreigners in this country and we choose to be here. If you don't like it there are plenty of taxis to the airport and many flights departing. This does not effect us in any way. Foreigners should stay out of Thai politics period! It is none of our business, I am only concerned with the safety of me and my friends who live here. Keeping up to date on the latest news is something I am happy I can do through this web site as long as it is accurate. Thanks Thai Visa!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So,whose holding a gun and making anyone read what these the infidels have to say? signthaivisa.gif.pagespeed.ce.hupuw2fawk

English language lesson Number 1.

L O S E

Now go away, and if you would be so kind, take the trash with you.

And lock the door on your way out, and Khun Thaksin once and for all, get lost.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app