hong kong gay area

rickthailand

Unlike BKK, HK is pretty easy to get arouind. There is great public transportation. I don't know where the Thai Consulate is, but I believe it used to be on HK Island. HK Island is probably your best bet for places to stay, shopping etc. Kowloon is OK as well. Much of it depends on your budget.

I lived in HK, but it was a very long time ago. Hopefully some people with better knowledge will be around with some info.

The Thai Consulate-General is in Central (Hong Kong Island) opposite the Lippo Centre and the Bank of China Building.

There is no "gay area" as such, and where to stay depends entirely on your budget - do not expect "Thai" prices, even in Chung King Mansions (to be avoided!).

If going for a first time "on a reasonable budget" I would recommend staying somewhere like the Salisbury YMCA Hotel in Tsim Sha Tsui, next to the Peninsula - around $150+ a night, compared to the Peninsula which will be around $1,000 to several thousand. It all depends on what you are going for and what you have to spend. Convenient for the Star Ferry to Hong Kong Island, shopping along Nathan Road and Temple Street, etc.

Don't expect any shopping bargains, except for suits and shirts if you know where to go and have time - Hong Kong gave all that up years ago.

I know all of Hong Kong (Kowloon, Hong Kong Island and the islands, and the New Territories) well, but it all depends on what you want to do and how much you want to spend. Hong Kong, more than anywhere I know, is all about money.

• Like 1

thanx guys, i will go for 5 nights and budget for hotel around 4.000 baht a night i guess. we are not going for partying or

shopping but do want to see hong kong as weve both never been there. however it would be nice to stay somewhere

close to transportation and a gay bar or so.

greetings,

rick

There are no real "gay bars" as such, although there are a few very loud and equally expensive gay night clubs in Wanchai/LanKwaiFong/Central - if you're budgeting 4,000 baht a night for your hotel don't even think about it.

Hotel budget at 4,000 baht a night? About the minimum, not including breakfast, unless you go on a package tour which could include some meals.

Things to see and do? Take the Star Ferry (best and cheapest views of Hong Kong harbour @ 10 baht), walk up Nathan Road (free), take a tram around Central, take the Peak tram up the Peak and get the best views over Hong Kong (weather permitting), have dinner at the floating Jumbo restaurant in Aberdeen for the experience but not the food (around 2,000 baht), have afternoon tea in the Peninsula (dress code, around 1,000 baht), go to Temple Street market (free) or if you've got time go to Lantau island and take the cable car, or go to Disneyland or Ocean Park or even Macao.

When you arrive at the airport you can pick up plenty of official tourist information.

If you're going to the Thai Consulate for a visa make sure you've got all the right paperwork, and even for a tourist visa you'll have to go back the next day to collect it.

There are no real "gay bars" as such, although there are a few very loud and equally expensive gay night clubs in Wanchai/LanKwaiFong/Central - if you're budgeting 4,000 baht a night for your hotel don't even think about it.

Hotel budget at 4,000 baht a night? About the minimum, not including breakfast, unless you go on a package tour which could include some meals.

Things to see and do? Take the Star Ferry (best and cheapest views of Hong Kong harbour @ 10 baht), walk up Nathan Road (free), take a tram around Central, take the Peak tram up the Peak and get the best views over Hong Kong (weather permitting), have dinner at the floating Jumbo restaurant in Aberdeen for the experience but not the food (around 2,000 baht), have afternoon tea in the Peninsula (dress code, around 1,000 baht), go to Temple Street market (free) or if you've got time go to Lantau island and take the cable car, or go to Disneyland or Ocean Park or even Macao.

When you arrive at the airport you can pick up plenty of official tourist information.

If you're going to the Thai Consulate for a visa make sure you've got all the right paperwork, and even for a tourist visa you'll have to go back the next day to collect it.

thanks for the great sight seeing info. now that i did some research i realize that i have to up my hotel budget wich is no problem

i was just going by thai hotel prizes(i know stupid) its just i did not know as i never been there.

thanks for taking the time to reply

greetings

rick

Check this out: http://www.utopia-asia.com/hkbars.htm

I've been to the Wally Mat in Kowloon, and another place in LangKwayFang (don't recall the name), both were definitely gay bars, the elbow-bender type where you could have a drink and maybe meet a stranger (i.e. not moneyboys).

I've also been to Propaganda, which was a nice discotheque at the time but I am now too old to go to discos. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...